PDA

View Full Version : Why is contraception against God?

arunangelo
Jun 23rd 2011, 05:59 PM
Conjugal union physiologically is a reproductive act. Therefore, when contraception is used, it frustrates the physiological purpose of the act. It is similar to eating food, while putting a barrier in the stomach so that the nutritive value of the food is eliminated. Those who use it, therefore, abuse their bodies. Furthermore, by going against the natural physiology, they are going against the creator of the physiology. Openness to procreation is love because it involves giving of one self. Therefore, contraception removes love from conjugal act; making it an act of pure pleasure and participants of it objects to derive pleasure from. It is, therefore, harmful to the love relationship between husband and wife. It is therefore no surprise that after the popularization of contraception divorce took a steep rise. In addition since the aim of contraception is to prevent another human being from being formed, it is an anti-human act. It, therefore, degrades the respect we have for human life. This has resulted in increase in incidence of abortion, child abuse and infanticide. It is, therefore, no surprise that in the scriptures a contraceptive act was considered deadly in the eyes of God (Gen.38: 8-10).

RollTide21
Jun 23rd 2011, 06:08 PM
In Genesis, that had nothing to do with God being against contraception. What Onan did was wicked in the sight of the Lord because he refused to raise up the offspring of his brother and defied his father, Judah.

-SEEKING-
Jun 23rd 2011, 10:37 PM
Why is contraception against God?

It's not. That's more of a traditional/dogmatic issue.

EarlyCall
Jun 23rd 2011, 10:49 PM
My take on Onan was that his act was in essence an act of rape.

However, as for contraception being wrong, I find nothing in the bible that says this, and regardless, the story of Onan has nothing to do with contraception.

Still, the age old theological question is still haunting us today: to contraceptualize or not to contraceptualize. (the spelling checker is telling me I just made up that word, but I'm going with it anyway:D).

Nyoka
Jun 23rd 2011, 11:14 PM
Firstly Onan had nothing to do with contraception. His brother had died without leaving an heir. Judah told Onan to get the surviving wife pregnant so his dead brother would have an heir: Gen 38:8 Then Judah said to Er's brother Onan, "Go and sleep with your brother's widow. Fulfill your obligation to her as her husband's brother, so that your brother may have descendants." But Onan chose not to: Gen 38:9 But Onan knew that the children would not belong to him, so when he had intercourse with his brother's widow, he let the semen spill on the ground, so that there would be no children for his brother. Onan displeased God because he chose to make sure that his brother had no heir and that is why God killed Onan: Gen 38:10 What he did displeased the LORD, and the LORD killed him also. Nowhere in the Bible is contraception mentioned - for or against. The bible is silent on the subject.

nzyr
Jun 24th 2011, 01:04 PM
God did say be fruitful and multiply though.

slightlypuzzled
Jun 24th 2011, 01:27 PM
Firstly Onan had nothing to do with contraception. His brother had died without leaving an heir. Judah told Onan to get the surviving wife pregnant so his dead brother would have an heir: Gen 38:8 Then Judah said to Er's brother Onan, "Go and sleep with your brother's widow. Fulfill your obligation to her as her husband's brother, so that your brother may have descendants." But Onan chose not to: Gen 38:9 But Onan knew that the children would not belong to him, so when he had intercourse with his brother's widow, he let the semen spill on the ground, so that there would be no children for his brother. Onan displeased God because he chose to make sure that his brother had no heir and that is why God killed Onan: Gen 38:10 What he did displeased the LORD, and the LORD killed him also. Nowhere in the Bible is contraception mentioned - for or against. The bible is silent on the subject.

The situation with Onan is describe above, correctly. It was one of intent to frustrate what God had commanded them, and would repeat later. It was so that the familial lines would not disappear in Israel.
It should be up to the individual married couple to decide if they want, and can afford children. The physiological act is important in marriage but is nowhere commanded to HAVE to lead to procreation. Especially as regards the standing of the New Covenant.

tango
Jun 24th 2011, 04:37 PM
Conjugal union physiologically is a reproductive act. Therefore, when contraception is used, it frustrates the physiological purpose of the act. It is similar to eating food, while putting a barrier in the stomach so that the nutritive value of the food is eliminated. Those who use it, therefore, abuse their bodies. Furthermore, by going against the natural physiology, they are going against the creator of the physiology. Openness to procreation is love because it involves giving of one self. Therefore, contraception removes love from conjugal act; making it an act of pure pleasure and participants of it objects to derive pleasure from. It is, therefore, harmful to the love relationship between husband and wife. It is therefore no surprise that after the popularization of contraception divorce took a steep rise. In addition since the aim of contraception is to prevent another human being from being formed, it is an anti-human act. It, therefore, degrades the respect we have for human life. This has resulted in increase in incidence of abortion, child abuse and infanticide. It is, therefore, no surprise that in the scriptures a contraceptive act was considered deadly in the eyes of God (Gen.38: 8-10).

So if sex "for pure pleasure" is a bad thing (even ignoring the fact that God made it pleasurable in the first place) does that mean that sex between a man and his wife who are biologically not capable of having children is sinful? What about after the menopause, does sex become sinful as soon as a woman has stopped ovulating?

moonglow
Jun 24th 2011, 05:52 PM
So if sex "for pure pleasure" is a bad thing (even ignoring the fact that God made it pleasurable in the first place) does that mean that sex between a man and his wife who are biologically not capable of having children is sinful? What about after the menopause, does sex become sinful as soon as a woman has stopped ovulating?

Good point! Also I thought the idea of sex only being to beget children and nothing else went out back in the 1950's...:rolleyes: Seriously. What if a couple only wants three children? After she gets pregnant with the last one...they never have sex for the next 50 years or so of marriage? :o And those that think the woman should just be a baby making machine...honestly...use some common sense! Many of these super large families end up on Welfare and the kids are raised in severe poverty. Is that what God wants? I believe only a few are called to have large families and in them...God provides.

1 Corinthians 7:4-6

New King James Version (NKJV)

4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Reading the Song of Solomon it makes it clear sex between a man and a woman is to be enjoyable physically and emotionally and a time for bonding and expression of love.

nzyr

Sure with Adam and Eve when there was no other people...but in the NT we read this:

1 Corinthians 7
Principles of Marriage
1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.

Does say a word about having children in either passages I put on here.

you can read the whole chapter here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+7&version=NKJV

There are 6 billion people on this planet and many are starving to death as it is...I can't image God expecting every couple to have as many children as possible when the resources to support them just isn't there. This isn't the empty planet Adam and Eve started out with anymore.

God bless

Stephie
Jul 1st 2011, 04:09 PM
Also, what about women who are prescribed the contraceptive pill for medical conditions? (Things like endometriosis, fibroids, severe hormone issues)

Not everyone who takes the pill takes it purely to prevent pregnancy!

arunangelo
Jul 3rd 2011, 02:56 AM
in the case of loder couple when they have sex they are doing nothing to stop conception. Remember that with God nothing is impossible (like in the case of Sarah)

arunangelo
Jul 3rd 2011, 03:00 AM
There is nothing wrong in have pleasure during sex without spouse. However, when barriers are put against conception, it goes directly against the natural order that God has created.

PilgrimPastor
Jul 3rd 2011, 03:52 AM

I "get" the Catholic position on this and I am sympathetic to some extent. We do get it backwards in this society and despise family and children when we should see them both as a blessing... however... this logic is disjointed. What about gum? Can I not chew gum them since it is a "violation" of God's intent for digestion??? That's crazy logic to suggest that sex can only exist in a marriage for the purpose of procreation. What about a couple post menopause?

I am sympathetic to what you have written BUT contraception is not the problem; rampant sin and selfishness is.

Servant89
Jul 3rd 2011, 09:34 PM

And that is how people generate doctrine out of the human brain....

That is pure Catholic doctrine. The idea that when a married couple joins in sex should not be for pleasure but to procreate. Utter non-sense... The main problem with women is the tongue (gossip), the main problem of man is sexual desire (that is by design, God made us like that on purpose). But the solution to sexual desire is sexual satisfaction. It is written:

1Cor 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Get it?

To avoid being tempted and getting illegal sex, get married. That is the solution.

It is also written: Prov 27:7 The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

That means, to those that are full of food, even honey is not attractive anymore, it means that when a human being has an orgasm, it is satisfied and wants no more sex for the next few hours or days depending on the age. That is also why it is written:

1 Cor 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

We are tempted when we are hungry (remember satan tempting Jesus when he was hungry?). When young married couples do not have orgasms for many days, their sexual desire increases and that is bad because they are more likely to give in to temptation under those circumstances, That is why God recommends to have sex often in 1Cor 7:5.

God wrote that imprint all over nature. In nature the priority of the male is to be intimate with the female. All year long, regardless of the animals, the males want the females. That is because all year long, God (the bridegroom) wants us (the bride, the female). God's spirit lusts for our spirit in us, did you know that? It is written: Jas 4:5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

When God created everything, the next thing he said was: And it was good. There is no surprise why ...when I created my sons, it felt good, real good.

Shalom

tango
Jul 3rd 2011, 10:31 PM
There is nothing wrong in have pleasure during sex without spouse. However, when barriers are put against conception, it goes directly against the natural order that God has created.

You could say the same about putting things in the fridge to stop them going mouldy.

Servant89
Jul 3rd 2011, 11:51 PM

That is the ultimate in self righteousness... look at me, look at me, see how holy I am? When I have sex, it is not for physical pleasure, it is to procreate, that is the only reason why I do it. And when I eat is not because I want to fulfill the desires of the flesh. I am like Jesus, I can spend 40 days without eating and not do it until God tells me to do it because my body needs it.

self righteousness comes in all kinds of colors and textures...

jpoole21
Jul 4th 2011, 04:16 AM
To the OP

I am 38 years old and not married. I do not want children. Repeat, I do NOT want children. If I get married are you suggesting that I should never have sex with my wife? Give me a break.

Raybob
Jul 5th 2011, 07:56 AM
To the OP

I am 38 years old and not married. I do not want children. Repeat, I do NOT want children. If I get married are you suggesting that I should never have sex with my wife? Give me a break.In that case, 'if' you did get married, I'd hope it's a woman who is past that age.. 45+