PDA

View Full Version : Please Help I think my site crashed.

ikester7579
Jun 26th 2011, 10:35 AM
I was trying to get a plugin to work in wordpress, which was a contact form plugin. It was working then quit working. So I uninstalled and installed several times. Each time same problem. Figured that what ever was wrong might be caught up in the cache. So I cleared the cache. Still did not work. So I did it one more time and shortly after that my site is no longer reachable and neither is my Cpanel. I hope it just the server doing something.

ikester7579
Jun 26th 2011, 11:06 AM
Okay, never mind it's back up now. It was down for about an hour, so I thought it crashed,

ikester7579
Jun 26th 2011, 12:09 PM
Well it's doing it again. Oh well.

bdh
Jun 26th 2011, 02:14 PM
Not crashed. Your IP was banned for triggering mod_sec rule 950004 - The JSQuery cookie in the URL. I've disabled the rule for you site.

ikester7579
Jun 26th 2011, 02:20 PM
As soon as it let's me back in I'm going to disable the plugin that did this. I know which one it was.

bdh
Jun 26th 2011, 02:25 PM
You should be able to now. Let me know if you want the rule back once you're done.

bdh
Jun 26th 2011, 02:33 PM
rule has been re-enabled

ikester7579
Jun 26th 2011, 02:39 PM
okay all done, and yes I like the extra security of the rule. Thanks. Sorry about all the trouble and fuss.

bdh
Jun 26th 2011, 04:04 PM
No sweat. Mode_sec can be a pain but it's like keys for your car or locks on your doors ... much safer to lock doors even though it's a hassle and it's still preferable even if you occasionally lock yourself out.

ikester7579
Jul 5th 2011, 09:40 PM
My site shut down again LOL. This time I was editing a php file for a plugin through the wordpress program. It has a section where you can edit files. All I was doing was changing some of the text for easier understanding of instructions of posters, and text size (it was to big and going off page, made it smaller). Everything was working fine and I was just about finished when all of a sudden I was locked out like what happened before. Neither my site is accessible, nor the admin panel. So my question is: Does editing a php file set off the firewall?

ikester7579
Jul 5th 2011, 10:33 PM
I guess it does. It's been an hour and it's back up.

bdh
Jul 6th 2011, 06:07 AM
You triggered something in mod_security which temporarily banned your IP.

Mod_sec can be trigger happy sometimes. However in this case the specific thing that triggered it was this:

wp-content/plugins/jquery-vertical-accordion-menu/js/jquery.cookie.js

If I remember, it's the jquery.cookie.js, I think there is a patch to rename it to jquery-cookie.js or something like that.

Here's what happens - certain words have special meaning to Linux just like ".EXE" or ".COM" are potentially dangerous files on Windows and are totally meaningless in Linux.

For example, if you try to create a folder called "etc" the firewall goes nuts if you try to access it because etc is a very special place under Linux. However, a folder called e-t-c is fine and the firewall will ignore it.

ikester7579
Jul 7th 2011, 03:56 PM
That line code you provided was not near anything I was editing. But the accordion menu is the name of another plugin that I'm not currently using. So I disable it.

I was editing the text on a plugin where you can ask challenge questions for each poster. The button that you click to add your comment was running off the template. The font size above that was large and bold. So I made it small and bold and it brought up the button more into the template area. I guess I need to find out what the code is for a blank space is in css and put a couple of blank spaces under the comment button so that it is totally inside the template. Right now it's only about half way out. But that was better then being almost 2 spaces out.

If anyone wants to help, here is what i am talking about: http://yecheadquarters.org/?p=596

At the bottom of page where you add the comment, the button for this runs off the page. Is it better to add spaces in the plugin code to push button up into template, or add spaces to the template it self to bring the button in? It was way out until I changed to font size of some of the stuff above it.

bob
Jul 7th 2011, 09:46 PM
That line code you provided was not near anything I was editing. But the accordion menu is the name of another plugin that I'm not currently using. So I disable it.I was editing the text on a plugin where you can ask challenge questions for each poster. The button that you click to add your comment was running off the template. The font size above that was large and bold. So I made it small and bold and it brought up the button more into the template area. I guess I need to find out what the code is for a blank space is in css and put a couple of blank spaces under the comment button so that it is totally inside the template. Right now it's only about half way out. But that was better then being almost 2 spaces out.If anyone wants to help, here is what i am talking about: http://yecheadquarters.org/?p=596At the bottom of page where you add the comment, the button for this runs off the page. Is it better to add spaces in the plugin code to push button up into template, or add spaces to the template it self to bring the button in? It was way out until I changed to font size of some of the stuff above it.Let me know if this is what you want. The way I see it, you can either make the div that contains the button and the rest of the post slightly longer, so that it fits, but in the future you may have longer posts, are you using Wordpress or something? What I would do is add this
margin-bottom: 20px; In the CSS so the button stays 20px from the bottom.

ikester7579
Jul 8th 2011, 10:08 PM
Let me know if this is what you want. The way I see it, you can either make the div that contains the button and the rest of the post slightly longer, so that it fits, but in the future you may have longer posts, are you using Wordpress or something? What I would do is add this
margin-bottom: 20px; In the CSS so the button stays 20px from the bottom.

No matter how long the post is, it's the same at the bottom. I am using wordpress. working on where to enter code.

And I cannot mess around with it to much, the server firewall locks me out. Thinks I'm hacking.

bob
Jul 8th 2011, 10:22 PM
No matter how long the post is, it's the same at the bottom. I am using wordpress. working on where to enter code. That code goes in the CSS file that is specified by the HTML. More specifically, that button is probably part of a larger div, and has it's own class within it. You can find the corresponding part in the style sheet for the div id of the larger container or the button's class and add the code to it. That will tell the browser that the containing div or the button, whichever you choose, needs to be 20px away from the bottom. I'm not familiar wih Wordpress, so I can't be any more specific.

ikester7579
Jul 8th 2011, 10:26 PM
okay thanks. I have to quit for a while so I don't get locked out by the firewall. When I edit certain files some many times within an hour, it thinks I'm hacking and locks me out. So I have to wait till later.

bob
Jul 8th 2011, 10:45 PM
I expect that will solve the problem, 20px is probably too much, but you can adjust it. But I don't know how Wordpress does the code layout for the pages, so if the code doesn't solve the problem, I have another line of code that should allow you control over the positioning of the button.

bob
Jul 8th 2011, 11:54 PM
I noticed that under IE 9, the button is at the very bottom of the post, leaving no space, but it is within it. But in Firefox 5 it is not contained, and is several px outside of the post.

bdh
Jul 9th 2011, 06:20 AM
Remember, that can be turned off while you are working and messing around in there although I still think it's safer to get the software patched first to remove the string that is triggering mod security.

ikester7579
Jul 12th 2011, 04:42 AM
Remember, that can be turned off while you are working and messing around in there although I still think it's safer to get the software patched first to remove the string that is triggering mod security.

It's finding the time and money. Living on a fixed income because of disability does not always warrant me to do what needs to be done when I want it.

I found where the code should go, except when entered it does nothing. But when I increase the px number in that same section, it makes the bottom part of the white text area separate from the rest. Like a very thin strip just separates itself from the rest and sits in the middle of the grey area. I have decided to just leave it alone for now. It's not causing any problems technically, just cosmetically. It's not interfering with any other part of the site so I'll just leave it for now. May cause me more trouble than it's worth if I keep messing with it.

bob
Jul 12th 2011, 06:59 PM
It's finding the time and money. Living on a fixed income because of disability does not always warrant me to do what needs to be done when I want it.

I found where the code should go, except when entered it does nothing. But when I increase the px number in that same section, it makes the bottom part of the white text area separate from the rest. Like a very thin strip just separates itself from the rest and sits in the middle of the grey area. I have decided to just leave it alone for now. It's not causing any problems technically, just cosmetically. It's not interfering with any other part of the site so I'll just leave it for now. May cause me more trouble than it's worth if I keep messing with it.

Whoever designed the template made a few mistakes in how they coded it. Because in IE, the button is actually within the white space, although it is at the very bottom; but when I viewed it in Firefox it was partially outside of it.

bdh
Jul 13th 2011, 04:40 AM
You gotta just love the compatibility of browsers.

bob
Jul 13th 2011, 03:24 PM
You gotta just love the compatibility of browsers.

Yup, I've moved to CSS3 for most things, but IE 6-8 doesn't support it, so I'm having to do a little work around. And nothing is standardized yet, so I need a slightly modified piece of code so each browser recognizes it.

The normal code for rounding corners would be: border-radius: 30px;
But I have to add -moz for mozilla, -web for webkit browsers. For the most part its not too bad, just add a few more words and its all fine

bdh
Jul 13th 2011, 10:16 PM
Yup, I've moved to CSS3 for most things, but IE 6-8 doesn't support it, You will laugh but we still host many customers who use windows 98 and ME! I'm not kidding. The folk are using stuff out of the stone age (in computer terms). The don't support AJAX, most JavaScript may as well be Ancient Hebrew to them and the SSL is simply impossible because they don't support the newer algorithms.

bob
Jul 14th 2011, 12:54 AM
You will laugh but we still host many customers who use windows 98 and ME! I'm not kidding. The folk are using stuff out of the stone age (in computer terms). The don't support AJAX, most JavaScript may as well be Ancient Hebrew to them and the SSL is simply impossible because they don't support the newer algorithms. I know XP still has a fairly large following, but I would never have expected you had that many people with ancient systems. Although, I do still have a few older OSs around, but I upgraded long ago. It might the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory.