PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Proverbs (2)

Frances
Jun 26th 2011, 04:12 PM
Proverbs

Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson)” We must not assume that God is making Promises to us when we read Proverbs. Thinking that a proverb is a promise has caused problems for many people. For example, “honesty is the best policy”, this is generally true, but not always. I have known people who have lost a fortune by being honest. Furthermore, proverbs can contradict each other – eg. “More haste, less speed” and “He who hesitates is lost”. Proverbs . . . . used as Promises have caused Christians great consternation eg. “Commit your way to the Lord, whatever you do and your plans will succeed” . . . it does not mean that every business venture committed to the Lord is bound to be a success.”

Proverbs 1

What does the text say? – The purpose of Proverbs is to teach wisdom and discipline, to aid understanding and success, also to help people do what is right, just and fair. They’ll give insight to the simple, knowledge and discernment to the young and greater wisdom to the wise. Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Take heed of what your parents tell you. Ignore what the ungodly say, it robs them of Life. Wisdom is available to those who seek it, but disregarding Wisdom is the way to death. Fools are destroyed by their own complacency but the wise will trust the Lord and be secure. Those who consistently disregard the Lord may not be able to find Him when they want Him.

Application? – Do I seek greater understanding of the Lord? Am I more concerned with what others regard as ‘good things’ than concerned about the Way of the Lord? If I do not trust and obey the Lord now, will I be able to benefit from His Grace and Mercy in the future? Would I be wise to learn to know Him now? Have I ever taken a Proverb as a Promise from the Lord?

propheticmaster
Jul 29th 2011, 11:41 AM
GOD BLESS YOU keep on meditate ....

Frances
Jul 30th 2011, 04:53 PM
I have propheticmaster, it's under 'Solomon's books'