PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Solomon's Books (2)

Frances
Jun 27th 2011, 05:13 PM
Solomon’s Books.

Song of Songs

Quote:- (David Pawson)”when we read Solomons’ three books it is easy to tell how old he was when he wrote them. the Song of Songs was written when he was a young man, deeply in love. Proverbs is the book of a middle aged man trying to stop his son from falling into the same errors that he himself had succumbed to. But in Ecclesiastes we have the writings of an older man. Confirmation of this is found in chapter 12 ‘Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say “I find no pleasure in them”’. Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)” Solomon’s harem was as yet small, only 60 wives and 80 concubines, with innumerable virgins on the waiting list (6:8). It afterwards grew to include 700 wives and 300 concubines(1 Kings 11:3). A common opinion is that the Shunamite was Abishag, of Shunem, . . . who attended David in his last days (1 Kings 1:1-4) and who, no doubt, became Solomon’s wife, for her marriage to another might have endangered his throne.(1 Kings 2:17,22). . . . Christians have, quite commonly, regarded it as a Pre-Nuptial Song of Christ and the Church. (but) How could a man with 1,000 women have a love for any one of them that would be fit to be typical of Christ’s love for the Church? “

Frances
Jun 28th 2011, 02:51 PM
Proverbs

Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson)” We must not assume that God is making Promises to us when we read Proverbs. Thinking that a proverb is a promise has caused problems for many people. For example, “honesty is the best policy”, this is generally true, but not always. I have known people who have lost a fortune by being honest. Furthermore, proverbs can contradict each other – eg. “More haste, less speed” and “He who hesitates is lost”. Proverbs . . . . used as Promises have caused Christians great consternation eg. “Commit your way to the Lord, whatever you do and your plans will succeed” . . . it does not mean that every business venture committed to the Lord is bound to be a success.”

Proverbs 1

What does the text say? – The purpose of Proverbs is to teach wisdom and discipline, to aid understanding and success, also to help people do what is right, just and fair. They’ll give insight to the simple, knowledge and discernment to the young and greater wisdom to the wise. Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Take heed of what your parents tell you. Ignore what the ungodly say, it robs them of Life. Wisdom is available to those who seek it, but disregarding Wisdom is the way to death. Fools are destroyed by their own complacency but the wise will trust the Lord and be secure. Those who consistently disregard the Lord may not be able to find Him when they want Him.

Application? – Do I seek greater understanding of the Lord? Am I more concerned with what others regard as ‘good things’ than the Way of the Lord? If I do not trust and obey the Lord now, will I be able to benefit from His Grace and Mercy in the future? Would I be wise to learn to know Him now? Have I ever taken a Proverb as a Promise from the Lord?

Frances
Jun 29th 2011, 05:09 PM
Proverbs 2

What does the text say? – The Lord gives wisdom which we must treasure and take heed of, and pray for understanding and discernment, then we will understand the fear of the Lord, for He gives wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He is a shield to those who choose to please Him in all things, for wisdom will enter their hearts knowledge fill them with joy. Wisdom will save you from evil people who enjoy being evil and being immoral. Follow righteous people instead, for only the Godly, with integrity, will remain and the wicked will be removed.

Application? – Am I always faithful to the Lord? Do I seek wisdom and understanding from God’s Word? If I seek wisdom from un-Godly sources I may well be seduced and led away from the Lord.

Frances
Jun 29th 2011, 05:35 PM
Proverbs 2

What does the text say? – The Lord gives wisdom which we must treasure and take heed of, and pray for understanding and discernment, then we will understand the fear of the Lord, for He gives wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He is a shield to those who choose to please Him in all things, for wisdom will enter their hearts knowledge fill them with joy. Wisdom will save you from evil people who enjoy being evil and being immoral. Follow righteous people instead, for only the Godly, with integrity, will remain and the wicked will be removed.

Application? – Am I always faithful to the Lord? Do I seek wisdom and understanding from God’s Word? If I seek wisdom from un-Godly sources I may well be seduced and led away from the Lord.

Frances
Jun 30th 2011, 03:20 PM
Proverbs 3

What does the text say? – Mercy, truthfulness, love and faithfulness are very important. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and not on your own understanding, acknowledge Him always and He will Guide you. Fear of the Lord will keep you healthy. Honour the Lord at all times and give Him the first of your income from each source. Do not despise the chastening of the Lord but accept His correction for your good. Wisdom and understanding are better, and more satisfying than wealth. The Lord is in control of earth and the heavens. Wisdom and discretion will enrich your soul. Don’t be afraid of disaster or trouble for the Lord will give you confidence and be your security. Do whatever good you are able to. Do not envy wicked people for the Lord detests them, but Blesses the home of the upright. He gives Grace to the humble, only the wise will inherit Glory.

Application? – Am I always merciful, truthful, loving and faithful? Do I trust in the Lord with all my heart? Do I accept difficulties as though they come from the Lord? Do I always seek the Lords Guidance and rely on His Wisdom? Is pleasing the Lord more important to me than everything else?

Frances
Jul 1st 2011, 06:00 PM
Proverbs 4+5

What does the text say? – when Solomon was a child David told him to remember what he told him, to keep his commands and enjoy life. To get wisdom and develop good judgement. Wisdom will protect you and will guard you. Get wisdom and understanding. Do not do as the wicked do, and do not follow evil doers, their ways are dark, but the way of the righteous is like sunshine getting brighter all the time. Pay attention to my sayings for they will keep you healthy. Do not tell lies. Always be honest. Ensure everything you do and say is honourable. Do not be seduced by immorality, it will ruin you. The Lord observes all you do. Only have intercourse with the person you are married to, or you will be a captive of your sin, and die for lack of self-control.

Application? – Do I pay attention to God’s Word? Does His word rule my life? Do I ask God for wisdom and understanding in each situation? Do I believe God’s Word gives Life and Health? Sexual immorality may seem sweet but will lead to bitterness.

Frances
Jul 2nd 2011, 04:22 PM
Proverbs 6+7

What does the text say? – Do not stand surety for anyone, not even for a friend, or you will be tripped up by your own folly. Consider the ants, they have no leader but all work together for the common good. If you don’t work like them you will be in poverty and need. Worthless and wicked people have perverted hearts that plot evil constantly storing up trouble, but they will be destroyed suddenly. There are 6 things the Lord hates, no 7 things He detests:- a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who tells lies, and one who sows discord in a family. Obey your father’s commands and don’t neglect your mother’s instructions, always attempt to please them then you won’t go astray into immorality. No one can be immoral and stay unharmed. Whoever commits adultery lacks understanding and destroys their own soul. Lust is a master that will lead to your destruction.

Application? – Have I foolishly become a guarantor for anyone’s debts? If so I must do all I can to extricate myself from the situation. Do I work, either for my living or on a voluntary basis? Am I proud? Do I tell lies? Do I kill other people’s reputations by gossiping? Do I intend for others what I would not like to receive myself? Do I deliberately stir up trouble? Have I ever had intercourse with someone I am not married to? Have I allowed myself to be seduced by my own, or someone else’s, lust?

Quote:- (David Pawson) “Proverbs . . .tells us wisdom and folly are moral choices rather than mental ones. When the world speaks of fools, it means people whose IQs aren’t very high; but in the Bible someone who is very intelegent can be very foolish. Someone can be mentally clever but morally silly.”

Frances
Jul 3rd 2011, 05:14 PM
Proverbs 8+9

What does the text say? – Instruction is better than silver and knowledge is better than gold, for wisdom is better than rubies. Those who fear of the Lord hate evil, and therefore pride, arrogance, such people enjoy common sense and success, insight and understanding. Those who seek wisdom will find it and, as a result, will have riches, honour and righteousness. Wisdom is better than gold and silver. The Lord formed wisdom before He formed the heavens or earth.
Whoever has wisdom finds Life and has favour from the Lord, but those who do not accept wisdom sins against their own soul. Everyone is offered wisdom in place of foolishness. If you correct a scoffer they will hate you, but if you rebuke someone who is wise they will love you. If you instruct a wise person they will be even wiser. ‘The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.’ Wisdom will add years to your life. You will benefit from wisdom and suffer if you scorn it.

Application? – Do I search for wisdom? Do I seek understanding? Am I discrete? Am I proud and arrogant? Do I regard righteousness more valuable than gold and silver? Do I fear/respect the Lord? Do I know Him? Do I control all lust or let it control me?

Frances
Jul 4th 2011, 04:16 PM
Proverbs 10+11

What does the text say? – Contrasts wisdom and foolishness, righteousness and wickedness, Life and sin, honesty and dishonesty, pride and humility, integrity and unfaithfulness, faithfulness and telling lies. There is safety in many advisors. It’s foolish to guarantee to pay another person’s debts. Kindness will be rewarded but cruelty will lead to destruction. Godly people find Life, evil people find Death. The Lord detests crooked hearts but delights in those with integrity. Give freely and become more wealthy, be stingy and loose everything. If you hoard what others need you will be cursed. Evil will come to you if you don’t do good. Those who trust in God will prosper but those who trust in riches will fail. The ungodly and sinners will receive the fruit of their wickedness, and the righteous will receive the fruit of their righteousness.

Application? – Do I trust in the Lord? Do I ask the Lord for Guidance or go my own foolish way? Am I satisfied with what I have? Do I ensure necessary work is done at the right time? Do I try to gain understanding? If I please the Lord He will give me the strength I need to accomplish what He requires of me. Shame follows pride and wisdom follows humility. Am I known for integrity or unfaithfulness? Am I a hypocrite? Do I despise anyone? Am I trustworthy or do I tell other people’s secrets? Does the Lord regard me as righteous or wicked? Am I merciful or cruel? Do I share the way of Life with others, or keep that knowledge to myself? Do I trust in my possessions? Will I receive the reward for righteousness or sin?

Frances
Jul 5th 2011, 05:14 PM
Proverbs 12

What does the text say? – Discipline is necessary for learners. It is stupid to hate correction. The Lord favours a good man but condemns those with wicked intentions. A wife can be a man’s crown or cancer. Only those who work hard can expect to have plenty. Fools think they always know best but the wise listen to others before making a decision. A wise person stays calm when insulted but a fool is quick-tempered. The words of the wise promote health. Truth stands the test of time. Joy fills the hearts of those who work for peace. The Lord delights in those who are truthful. The wise don’t broadcast all they know. Work hard and become a leader, be lazy and become a slave. Worry causes depression, encouragement raises spirits. Choose your friends carefully. Godliness leads to life.

Application? – Am I offended when corrected? Do I try to please the Lord? Does the Lord regard me as righteous or wicked? Are my animals happy or miserable? If I don’t work I won’t have sufficient. Do other people consider me wise or a fool? Would I be wise to listen to advise? Does what I say promote health or hurt? Am I a peacemaker? Do I choose my friends carefully so I am not led astray?

Frances
Jul 6th 2011, 05:00 PM
Proverbs 13

What does the text say? – A scoffer will not listen to rebuke.
It is wise to accept discipline. What you say affects your life.
Those who work hard will prosper.
Godly people hate lies and their lives are full of light and joy.
Pride leads to conflict. Those who take good advise are wise.
Wealth gained dishonestly will vanish but wealth gained by hard work will grow. Hope deferred makes the heart sick but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.
Wise people think before they act - the foolish do not.
A faithful ambassador brings health.
If you ignore correction you’ll end in poverty and disgrace.
Have the company of wise people and you’ll become wise, associate with foolish people and you’ll get into trouble.
Trouble chases sinners while blessings reward the righteous.
The wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.

Application? – Do I heed God’s discipline?
Is verbal diarrhoea my problem?
Do I ever tell lies?
Am I careful choosing my friends?
Do I consider all the possibilities before I act?
Am I always faithful?
Do I take notice of correction or ignore it?
What sort of people do I associate with?
Are my children disciplined sufficiently to ensure good behaviour?

DDGresham1
Jul 7th 2011, 12:37 PM
So, if I am going to "lose a fortune" I should lie? Hmmm.

Frances
Jul 7th 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry but don't understand why you asked that question.

Why I asked myself if I ever tell lies is because the chapter indicates that what I say affects the rest of my life, and that if I am Godly I will hate lies.

Frances
Jul 7th 2011, 05:35 PM
Proverbs 14

What does the text say? – Those who live to please the Lord follow the right way. The words of the wise keep them safe.
Where there’s muck there’s money.
A scoffer does not find wisdom, but those with understanding do.
Only associate with wise people .
Foolish people mock Sin but the wise seek reconciliation.
No one else can really feel your joy or bitterness.
There will always be temptation to do what is wrong.
Laughter may be covering a heavy heart.
Only simpletons believe everything they are told.
Reckless confidence may be foolish.
Short tempered people act foolishly.
Rich people have many ‘friends’.
Belittling one’s neighbour is sin.
Blessed are those who help folk in need.
Work brings profit, just talk brings poverty.
A truthful witness saves lives.
The fear of the Lord gives strong confidence and is a fountain of life.
A hot-temper demonstrates foolishness, and is cancer to the bones.
A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body.
Helping the poor honours God.
The righteous have a refuge in death.
Righteousness exalts a nation but sin is a disgrace to any nation.

Application? – Do I trust the Lord with every detail of my life?
Do I speak foolishly?
Do I associate with wise or foolish people?
Do I seek reconciliation with God and other people?
Do I yield to temptation or stand firm against it?
Do I help those in need?
Am I short-tempered? If so, what am I going to do about it?
Do I talk about what need doing, or do it?
Do I fear death or look forward to being with Jesus Christ?
Do I always pray for, and vote for, Godly leaders for my nation?

Frances
Jul 8th 2011, 04:25 PM
Proverbs 15

What does the text say? – A gentle word deflects anger, harsh words make tempers flare and crushes the spirit. The Lord sees everything. Those who accept criticism are wise, but those who reject it will die. The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked but delights in the prayers of the righteous. A scoffer does not love their critic. Sorrow breaks the spirit. Knowledge contributes to understanding. It is better to have little and trust the Lord than to have great troubles without him. A dish of vegetables with one you love is better than steak with one you hate. A hot-tempered person starts fights, a cool tempered person stops them. Sensible children bring joy to their father, foolish children despise their mother. It is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time. The Way of Life leads upwards for the wise, leaving hell below. The Lord is against the proud, but protects the widow. Greedy people bring grief to the whole family. Good news makes for good health. If you listen to constructive criticism you will be among the wise and grow in understanding. If you reject discipline you only harm yourself. Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom; humility precedes honour.

Application? – Is my speech harsh or gentle?
Do I accept correction?
Do I seek understanding and knowledge?
Am I really trusting the Lord?
Do I ever lose my temper?
Do I ‘poor oil on troubled waters’?
Do others consider me proud or humble?
Does my behaviour give my parents joy?
Am I greedy?
Do I listen to constructive criticism?
Do I reject discipline?
Do I respect the Lord and His Power?

DDGresham1
Jul 8th 2011, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry but don't understand why you asked that question.

Why I asked myself if I ever tell lies is because the chapter indicates that what I say affects the rest of my life, and that if I am Godly I will hate lies.

Re: My Daily Bible Study - Solomon's Books (2)

Proverbs

Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson)” We must not assume that God is making Promises to us when we read Proverbs. Thinking that a proverb is a promise has caused problems for many people. For example, “honesty is the best policy”, this is generally true, but not always. I have known people who have lost a fortune by being honest. Furthermore, proverbs can contradict each other – eg. “More haste, less speed” and “He who hesitates is lost”. Proverbs . . . . used as Promises have caused Christians great consternation eg. “Commit your way to the Lord, whatever you do and your plans will succeed” . . . it does not mean that every business venture committed to the Lord is bound to be a success

Frances
Jul 9th 2011, 04:58 PM
Proverbs 16

What does the text say? – We may make plans but results depend on the Lord. The Lord examines motives behind actions. Everything belongs to the Lord. Pride is an abomination to the Lord and will be punished. Those who fear the Lords Power reject evil. If you please the Lord your enemies will be at peace with you. It’s better to be Godly and poor than to be rich and dishonest. We may make plans but the Lord is in control. National leaders must rule with justice. Wisdom is more valuable than gold and understanding more valuable than silver. Pride goes before destruction and haughtiness before a fall. It is better to be humble than proud. Those who trust the Lord are blessed. To correct fools is folly. Pleasant words are sweet to the soul and health to the bones. There is a path before each person that seems right but ends in death. A troublemaker sows strife. Gossip separates the best of friends. It is better to be patient than powerful. We may throw the dice but the Lord decides how they will fall.

Application? – Do I seek the Lord’s Will before I make plans? Are my motives always pleasing to the Lord? Do I always obey the Lord? Do I act with pride or obedience to the Lord? Am I always honest? Am I humble or proud? Do I seek wisdom and understanding? I am blessed when I completely trust the Lord’s plans instead of my own. Do I gossip? Am I patient?

Frances
Jul 10th 2011, 04:08 PM
Proverbs 17

What does the text say? – Better a dry crust eaten in peace than a house filled with feasting and conflict. Fire tests the purity of silver and gold but the Lord tests the heart. Only wrongdoers gossip and slander others. Those who mock the poor insult their Maker. Those who rejoice in the misfortunes of others will be punished. Eloquent speech from a fool and lying from a prince are unfitting. Love prospers when a fault is forgiven but dwelling on it separates friends. A single rebuke does more for an understanding person than 100 lashes on the back of a fool. A fool being foolish is worse than meeting a bear robbed of her cubs. If you repay good with evil, evil will never leave your family. Starting a quarrel is like opening flood-gates, so stop a disagreement quickly. Acquitting the guilty or condemning the innocent are detestable to the Lord. Money spent educating a fool is wasted. A friend is always loyal and a brother is born to be helpful in time of need. It is not wise to guarantee anyone’s debts or put up security for a friend. A crooked heart and lying tongue invite trouble. The father of a fool has no joy. A cheerful heat is good medicine but a broken spirit dries the bones. It is wicked to take a bribe to pervert justice. Fools bring bitterness and grief to their parents. It is wrong to punish the righteous for being good or to flog leaders for being honest. A wise person doesn’t say much, a person with understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is thought wise and intelligent when they say nothing.

Application? – do I gossip? Do I always forgive those who sin against me? Do I heed correction? Am I ever foolish? Do I repay good with evil? Do I start quarrels. Am I a good friend to others? Do I help my siblings? Do I talk too much? Am I even-tempered?

Frances
Jul 11th 2011, 05:04 PM
Proverbs 18

What does the text say? – Unfriendly people are selfish and devoid of common sense. Fools only want to air their own opinions. Doing wrong leads to disgrace and scandalous behaviour brings contempt. Wisdom flows from the wise like water from a babbling brook. It is not right to acquit the guilty or deny justice to the innocent. Rumours are dainty morsels that sink deep into the heart. A lazy person is as bad as a destroyer. The Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe. The rich think their wealth gives them safety. Haughtiness comes before destruction, and humility before honour. Giving an opinion before discovering the facts is shameful and foolish. A human spirit can endure a sick body but who can bear a crushed spirit? Wise people are always ready to learn. Gifts can open doors to important people. The first opinion you hear sounds right until you hear another. An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city and arguments separate friends. Those who love to talk will reap the good or bad consequences. A man’s wife is a treasure. A real friend sticks closer than a brother.

Application? – Do I prefer my own company? Am I too fast in giving my own opinion before I know all the facts? Do I pass on rumours or check the facts first? Am I lazy? Do I seek knowledge? Do I listen to both sides of an argument? Do I try not to offend my relations? Does what I say lead others to Jesus Christ or away from Him? I must be friendly to obtain friends.

Frances
Jul 12th 2011, 05:28 PM
Proverbs 19

What does the text say? – It’s better to be poor and honest than dishonest and a fool. Wisdom without knowledge is no good. Haste makes mistakes. People blame the Lord for their own foolishness. Wealth encourages many ‘friends’. Everyone is friends with one who gives gifts. Supposed ‘Friends’ abandon those in poverty. To acquire wisdom is to love oneself. A false-witness will be punished. Honourable people control their temper. A foolish son will ruin his father. A quarrelsome wife is as annoying as something dripping on the head. Fathers can give a rich inheritance but only the Lord can give an understanding wife. Laziness gives sleep and hunger. Helping the poor is giving to the Lord and He will repay you. Lack of discipline will ruin a child. Hot tempered people must pay the penalty. It is wise to get all the instruction you can. You can make plans but the Lord’s purposes will prevail. It is better to be poor than dishonest. Trusting the Lord leads to Life and security. Correction assists wisdom. Those who mis-treat their parents are a public disgrace. You need instruction to gain knowledge. A dishonest witness mocks justice.

Application? –Am I always honest?
Do I blame the Lord for my foolishness?
Am I a ‘fair weather friend’?
Do I alter facts when relating something?
Do I control my temper?
Do I pick quarrels?
Do I treat those I love with understanding?
Do I help the poor?
Do I lose my temper easily?
Am I honest?
Do I trust the Lord 100%?
Do I learn from correction?
Am I an honest witness?

Frances
Jul 13th 2011, 04:46 PM
Proverbs 20

What does the text say? – Those led astray by alcohol are not wise. To rouse the king’s anger is to risk your life. Only fools insist on quarrelling. Those who don’t work won’t eat. A person with understanding will seek good advise. Who can find a really reliable friend? Righteous people have integrity. No one can cleanse their own heart from Sin. The Lord hates false weights and measures. Children are judged by their deeds. Hearing and seeing are Gifts from the Lord. Laziness brings poverty. Wisdom and knowledge are more valuable than jewels. Stolen bread tastes sweet but turns to gravel in the mouth. Don’t go to war without wise advise. Don’t associate with a gossip. An inheritance obtained when too young is not a blessing. Don’t get even for a wrong done to you, but wait for the Lord to act on your behalf. The Lord detests double standards. It is not necessary to understand the Way the Lord leads. Don’t make rash promises to God. The Lord’s Light exposes every motive. A king’s throne is made secure by love. The strength of youth, and experience of the old, are their glory. Physical punishment removes evil and purifies the heart.

Application? – Do I drink too much alcohol?
Do I enjoy an argument?
Do I earn my living?
Am I a reliable friend?
Am I 100% honest?
Do I trust the death of Jesus Christ in my place on the cross to cleanse me from Sin?
Do I regard my hearing and seeing as Gifts from the Lord, or as my right?
Am I lazy?
Do I seek wisdom and knowledge?
Do I gossip?
Do I leave vengeance for wrongs to the Lord?
I don’t need to understand directions the Lord gives before obeying them?
Do I make rash promises to God?
Are my motives always pure?

Frances
Jul 14th 2011, 03:50 PM
Proverbs 21

What does the text say? – The hearts of those who worship the Lord are directed where He wishes. Everyone thinks they are worthy but the Lord examines each heart. Righteousness and justice please the Lord more than sacrifices. Haughty looks, proud hearts and evil actions are all sin. Diligence leads to plenty and hasty shortcuts to poverty. Wealth gained by lying is deadly. Violence leads to destruction. It’s better to live in a corner of an attic than in a lovely home shared with a quarrelsome person. When a wise person receives instruction they gain knowledge. The righteous God will bring disaster on the wicked. Whoever does not help those in need will one day be in need and ignored. A secret gift calms anger. A person who strays from common sense will end up dead. Those who seek alcohol and luxury will never be rich. The wicked are punished in place of the honest. Wise people have wealth and luxury but the foolish spend whatever they get. Whoever pursues righteousness and unfailing love will find Life, righteousness and honour. Be careful what you say and you will stay out of trouble. Lazy people come to ruin. Some people are greedy but the Godly love to give to others. God detests sacrifice offered with the wrong motives. The wicked bluff their way through, but the upright think before they act. No human wisdom or plan can stand before the Lord. Victory belongs to the Lord.

Application? – Do I worship the Lord? What does the Lord find in my heart? Do I work diligently or cut corners? Am I honest? Does my temper control me? Am I quarrelsome? Do I gain knowledge? Do I help those in need? Am I known for common sense? Do I spend too much money on myself? Do I pursue righteousness? Do I think before I speak or act? Am I lazy? Am I greedy? What is my motive for worshipping the Lord.

Frances
Jul 15th 2011, 02:51 PM
Proverbs 22

What does the text say? – Choose a good reputation over great riches. The Lord made both rich and poor. A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions, the simpleton goes forward blindly and suffers the consequences.
True humility and fear of the Lord bring riches, honour and life. Train a child in the way they should go and when older they will not depart from it. Those who borrow serve the one who lent to them. Those who plant injustice will harvest disaster and their reign of terror will come to an end. Blessed are those who feed the poor. Mockers cause quarrels, insults and fighting. Those who have a pure heart and gracious speech will have powerful friends. The Lord ruins the plans of the treacherous. Lazy people are fearful? Immorality makes the Lord angry. Physical discipline drives children’s foolishness away. Those who try to get rich by oppressing the poor, or by showering gifts on the rich, will end in poverty. The instructions given are to encourage you to trust the Lord. The Lord defends the poor and will ruin those who cheat them. Do not associate with angry or hot-tempered people or you may get like them and endanger your soul. Do no guarantee to pay someone else’s debts or you may lose everything. Do not move an ancient boundary mark trying to gain an advantage. Those who are truly competent will rise in their profession.

Application? – What sort of reputation have I got? Am I prudent enough to take precautions or do I suffer the consequences of my foolishness? Would my parents be proud of my actions? Do I fear the Lord’s Anger? Am I generous? Am I a scoffer or argumentative? Do I deceive people? Do I trust the Lord in all things? Do I cheat anyone? If I allow my temper to control me I endanger my soul. Do I try to become more competent in what I do.

Frances
Jul 16th 2011, 04:53 PM
Proverbs 23

What does the text say? – Do not wear yourself out trying to get rich for riches can vanish too easily. Miserly people may offer hospitality but will always consider how much it is costing them and ignore your compliments. A fool will despise your wisdom. Do not move ancient boundary markers or take the property of orphans, for their Redeemer is strong and He will see they receive justice. Be intent to learn more. Don’t fail to discipline your children, physical discipline may save their lives. Don’t envy sinners but continue to fear the Lord and you will be rewarded. Don’t mix with gluttons or drunkards or you will come to poverty. Don’t despise your parents but give them reasons to be joyful. My son give me your heart and enjoy following my ways. A promiscuous person is very dangerous making others unfaithful. Those who drink too much alcohol will have sorrows, they will fight, complain, have bruises and blood-shot eyes; in the end alcohol bites like a poisonous snake, causes seeing and saying crazy things.

Application? – do I spend too much time and thought on becoming wealthy?
Do I give my guests ‘ordinary’ food, or resent the money spent on what I provide for them?
Do I consider other people’s point of view before making a decision?
Have I ever moved an ancient boundary of eg. morality or behaviour?
Do I try to learn as much as possible?
Have I disciplined my children sufficiently?
Do I fear the Lord’s Anger at all times?
Do I know His discipline is only for my good?
Do I eat and drink too much?
Do I despise my parents?
Are truth, wisdom, discipline and understanding important to me?
Do I enjoy following the Lord and His Ways?

Frances
Jul 17th 2011, 04:15 PM
Proverbs 24

What does the text say? – Don’t be envious of unGodly people who talk of causing trouble. Both wisdom and knowledge are necessary for a pleasant life, for they increase good sense. Many counsellors make for safety in making decisions. Scoffing and foolishness are an abomination. Cultivate a strong heart or you will faint when trouble comes. Protect those whose lives are in danger. The Lord judges according to His all-encompassing Knowledge. Wisdom is as sweet to the soul as honey is to the tongue. Do not be glad at the fall of your enemy or the Lord may not repay him for his evil. Do not envy the wicked for their future is not bright. Keep to the old ways. The wise do not show partiality in judgement. Don’t call the wicked righteous but rebuke them. Earn your money before you spend it. Don’t say anything against anyone unless you have good cause to. Don’t repay evil with evil. Don’t neglect necessary work or you will come to poverty.

Application? – Is there anything I can do to increase my wisdom and knowledge?
Do I take other people’s viewpoint into consideration before making decisions?
Do I make sarcastic remarks about other people’s actions or opinions?
If I don’t trust the Lord to guide me at all times I’m unlikely to trust His guidance when in trouble.
What can I do to protect those whose lives are in danger?
The Lord knows everything I think and do and will judge me accordingly.
How can I increase my wisdom?
New ways are not necessarily better, the old have stood the test of time, and may be best.
Is my judgement, in every situation impartial?
Do I help the weak Christians to become strong, or let them think they are stronger than they are?
Do I pass on gossip that may not be true?
Would I be wise to repay evil with good?
Do I ensure all necessary work is done promptly?

Frances
Jul 18th 2011, 04:28 PM
Proverbs 25

What does the text say? – God need not tell people all they want to know, but they may discover some things. No one can comprehend all that goes on in another person’s mind. Silver, and people, must be purified before something beautiful can be made from them. It is better to be invited to places of honour than to be sent away from them in public disgrace. Do not reveal other people’s secrets or your reputation will be ruined. Timely advise is like gold apples in a silver container. Constructive criticism is a gift to those who want to improve. A trustworthy messenger refreshes the spirit of the one who sent them. Keep your promises. Patience and gentleness will persuade where all else fails. You can have too much of a good thing. A too frequent visitor will not be welcome. Telling lies about a person is as harmful as hitting them with a weapon. Putting confidence in an unreliable person makes you vulnerable. Singing cheerful songs to someone with a heavy heart makes them feel worse. If your enemy is hungry, feed them, if they are thirsty give them a drink then they will be ashamed. A gossip causes righteous anger. It is better to live alone in an attic than in luxury with a contentious person. Good news revives the spirits. A righteous person who cowers before the wicked is like a murky spring in a polluted well. It is not good to seek honour for yourself. A person without self-control is like a city with broken walls.

Application? –The Lord will reveal what He has concealed – if I ask Him and He considers I need to know.
Am I willing for the Lord to purify me in His way?
Do I try to force my way into exalted places, or wait to be invited?
Can I be trusted with other people’s secrets?
If I object to criticism I prevent my advancement.
Can the Lord trust me to be His messenger?
Do I keep my promises?
Am I patient and gentle?
Do I visit anyone too often?
Do I ever tell lies about anyone?
Am I too cheerful when with unhappy people, making them feel worse?
Do I offer hospitality to enemies?
Do I pick quarrels with anyone?
Do I share the Good News of Jesus Christ boldly?
Do I push myself forward when it would be better to wait patiently for advancement?
Do I exercise self-control?

Frances
Jul 19th 2011, 04:43 PM
Proverbs 26

What does the text say? –It is not right to honour a fool. A curse without cause can do no harm. Don’t join in foolish arguments or you’ll become a fool too. Trusting a fool to convey a message is like drinking poison. Honouring a fool is like tying a stone in a slingshot/catapult. As a dog returns to it’s vomit so a fool repeats their foolishness. There is more hope for fools than for people who think they are wise. Lazy people will not prosper. Joining in someone else’s argument is like yanking a dog’s ears. Someone who deceives their neighbour is like a madman shooting a dog then saying they were just joking. Quarrels disappear when gossip stops. A quarrelsome person starts fights as easily as fire lights wood. Rumours are dainty morsels that are remembered. Smooth words may hide a wicked heart just as a pretty glaze can cover a clay pot. People may cover hatred with pleasant words pretending to be kind, but they will be exposed. Setting a trap for others will crush you instead. Lies and flattery cause trouble.

Application? – No curse can harm me unless there is unrepented Sin in my life.
If I am wise I will not to be involved in arguments.
Do I pass on messages from the Lord accurately?
Do I do silly things?
Am I lazy?
Do I ever deceive anyone?
Do I ever gossip?
Do I start quarrels?
Do I pass on rumours without ensuring they are true?
Do I ever say what I don’t mean?
Do I manipulate others?
Do I flatter people or say what is not true?

Frances
Jul 20th 2011, 04:03 PM
Proverbs 27

What does the text say? – Don’t brag about the future as anything might happen. Don’t boast, wait for others to praise you. Resentment caused by a fool weighs heavily on the heart. Jealousy is dangerous. An open rebuke from a sincere friend is better than kisses from an enemy. Any food tastes good to a hungry person. A friend nearby is better than a brother far away. A wise person makes their parents able to answer critics. Those who take precautions are prudent, others suffer the consequences of the simpleton. It is foolish to guarantee a strangers debt. Loud cheerfulness in early morning is like a curse. A quarrelsome spouse is as annoying as constant dripping on a rainy day, stopping their complaints is virtually impossible. Friends sharpen each other like a file on iron. Workers who protect their employers interests will be rewarded. A persons actions reveal what they are like. People always want more, never being satisfied. A fool and their foolishness can’t be parted. If you don’t attend to the means of your livelihood your wealth won’t last.

Application? –Am I more concerned about the future than the present? Am I foolish to waste energy on resentment and jealousy? Do I ensure those I love know that I love them? Am I always honest with my friends? Do I take sensible precautions against accidents? I would be foolish to guarantee to pay anyone’s debts. Am I sufficiently quiet in early morning? Am I always finding fault with others? Am I honest with my friends? Am I a reliable employee? Am I satisfied with what I have or do I always want more? Do I ensure necessary details regarding my income are attended to?

Frances
Jul 21st 2011, 04:02 PM
Proverbs 28

What does the text say? – The wicked fear their own shadow but the Godly are bold. Moral rot in a nation topples the leaders but leaders with wisdom and knowledge brings stability. To reject the Law is to praise the wicked, to obey the Law is to fight them. Those who obey the Lord understand justice. It’s better, and wiser, to be poor and honest than rich and dishonest. Income from high interest rates will end up in the pockets of those who are kind to the poor. God detests the prayers of law-breakers. Those who encourage good people to go astray will fall into their own trap, but good things will be inherited by the blameless. Wisdom is not the prerogative of the rich. Everyone is glad when the Godly succeed. Those who confess, and turn from, their Sin will receive mercy. Irreverent people are heading for serious trouble. A wicked ruler is like a roaring lion. A murderer’s conscience will send them into trouble. The blameless will be rescued but the crooked will be destroyed. Hard workers will have enough but those who chase fantasies will end up in poverty. A person who goes after quick riches will be in trouble but a trustworthy person will be rewarded. Greedy people are headed for poverty not riches. Honest criticism is welcomed more than flattery. Stealing from a parent is as bad as murder. Greed causes fighting but trusting the Lord leads to prosperity. Those who give to the poor will lack nothing. The Godly cannot flourish under wicked leaders.

Application? –Am I bold or fearful?
Is my nation ruled by immoral or wise people?
Do I keep, or reject, the law?
Do I obey the Lord?
Am I honest?
Do I help the poor?
Does my behaviour lead anyone astray, or am I blameless?
Do I confess my Sin and turn from it?
Am I irreverent?
Do I work hard or chase dreams?
Am I greedy?
Am I honest?
Do I rely on the Lord?
Do I give to those with less than myself?

Frances
Jul 22nd 2011, 03:54 PM
Proverbs 29

What does the text say? – Those who refuse to accept criticism will suddenly be destroyed beyond recovery. The people rejoice under those who accept God’s Authority. It is unwise to waste money on prostitutes. Those who demand bribes destroy the nation. Evil people are tripped up by their Sin. Righteous people help the poor. Wise people calm anger? Contending with a fool is a waste of time. Sinners hate blameless people. Wise people hold back their anger. People follow their leaders into goodness or wickedness. On the way the ruler treats the poor depends the length of their time in power. To discipline a child gives them wisdom. The Godly will see the downfall of the wicked. Guidance from the Lord is necessary for peace. Servants may need more than words for discipline to be heeded. It is foolish to speak without thinking. An angry person stirs up trouble. Pride ends in humiliation but humility brings honour. If you help a thief you only hurt yourself. Being fearful of other people is a dangerous trap but trusting the Lord means security. Justice comes from the Lord. The righteous and wicked people despise each other.

Application? –Do I accept, and learn from, criticism?
Do I ever give a gift in exchange for preferential treatment?
Do I help the poor? Do I stop anger erupting?
Do I argue with fools?
I will be sensible if I ensure the Lord is my leader.
Do I discipline my children sufficiently?
Do I accept the Lord’s Guidance?
My actions speak louder than my words.
Do I ever speak without thinking?
Do I ever show, or act in, anger?
Am I proud, or in humility obey the Lord?
Do I prevent justice?
Do I fear what people may do, or trust the Lord?
Do I despise those who don’t submit to the Lord or help them to understand why they should submit to Him?

Frances
Jul 23rd 2011, 05:03 PM
Proverbs 30

What does the text say? – Every Word of God proves to be true, He is the shield of all who come to Him for protection. Don’t add to His Word or He may expose you as a liar. Two things I request God (1) to remove all falsehood and lies from me, (2) not to give me either poverty or riches but just enough to satisfy my needs, for if I grow rich I may deny Him and if I am poor I may steal and insult His Name. Never slander a worker to their employer, or you may be cursed and found guilty. Never slander either of your parents. A leech keeps wanting more. There are 4 things never satisfied – The grave, a barren woman, the thirsty desert, the fire. Eyes that mock parents will be eaten by vultures. 4 things amaze me – an eagle flying, a snake slithering on rock, a ship navigating the ocean, and how a man loves a woman. Those who commit adultery don’t think they have done anything wrong. 4 things can’t be endured – a slave who becomes a king, an overbearing fool who prospers, a hated woman who gets married, a servant girl who supplants her mistress. There are 4 things that are small but very wise – ants, who store up food all summer, hyraxes(rock badgers) who make their homes in the rocks, locusts who have no king but march in formation, spiders(or lizards) who are found in king’s palaces. There are 4 things that strut about – the lion, a rooster, a male goat, a king leading his army. Stirring up anger causes quarrels.

Application? – God will protect me when I trust Him. I must be careful not to change God’s Word (are all ‘translations’ totally accurate? Do I get led astray by paraphrases?). Am I determined to always be 100% truthful and trustworthy?

Frances
Jul 24th 2011, 04:56 PM
Proverbs 31

What does the text say? – King Lemuel said :– Do not waste your strength on women, on those who ruin kings. Do not drink alcohol or you may forget the Law and not give justice to the oppressed, alcohol is for the dying and those in bitter distress and poverty, so they can forget their troubles. Speak for those who cannot speak up for themselves and ensure justice for those being crushed, and the poor and helpless. An excellent wife is more precious than rubies and will enrich her husband’s life. She is totally trustworthy and active in buying and selling, including land, and ensures her household runs smoothly. She is a strong and energetic worker from early morning till late at night and is also helping the poor and needy, she is wise and kind, she makes things to sell and is never idle. Charm is deceptive and beauty passing but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised and become rich, enabling her husband to take greater responsibilities.

Application? – If I drink alcohol I will not be able to think clearly, so unless I am in poverty or bitter distress I’d better leave it alone.
Do I speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves?
Do I ensure justice is done?
Do I help the poor and needy?
Am I totally trustworthy?
Do I work hard for those who depend on me?
Do I realise that a good character is more important than physical beauty and charm?

Frances
Jul 30th 2011, 04:50 PM
Ecclesiastes

Quote:- (David Pawson)”Ecclesiastes is probably the strangest book in the Bible . . . . but despite it’s strangeness it has a very contemporary ring to it and features many of the philosophical ideas of our own day.
Fatalism – whatever will be will be.
Existentialism – live for the present moment, who knows what the future may bring.
Chauvinism – men are better than women.
Hedonism – living for pleasure.
Cynisism - even good things are not what they seem.

Ecclesiastes 1

What does the text say? –the words of the preacher, the son of David, the king in Jerusalem. Everything is meaningless. Generations come and go but the earth never changes. The sun rises and sets, the wind blows continually, the rivers run into the sea but the sea is not full and the water returns to the rivers and flows to the sea again. Everything is wearisome. We are never satisfied or content. History repeats itself. Nothing is new under the sun, it’s all happened before. Solomon said he had devoted himself to search for understanding and to explore wisdom, and discovered everything is meaningless, and like chasing the wind. What is wrong cannot be made right, and what is missing cannot be recovered. He had learned that the greater his wisdom the greater was his grief and sorrow.

Application? – Have I learned that to know something is right, yet not act on that knowledge, is foolishness?
Have I learned how perfectly God Created the world for our benefit?
Have I discovered that only God can make crooked lies straight - through Jesus Christ?

Frances
Jul 31st 2011, 05:22 PM
Ecclesiastes 2

What does the text say?- Pleasure is meaningless, it accomplishes nothing. I tried to cheer myself up with wine, and clutched at foolishness. I tried to find meaning by building huge homes and by planting gardens, orchards and vineyards. I built reservoirs so all I had planted could be irrigated. I bought slaves. I owned large herds and flocks. I collected silver, gold and jewels. I had many concubines, in fact I had everything a man could desire, and my wisdom never failed. I denied myself no pleasure, but as I thought of everything I have accomplished it was all meaningless. I compared wisdom and foolishness and realised wisdom is better than foolishness just as light is better than darkness, for the wise can see where they are going but fools walk in darkness, yet they both die and are forgotten. My successor could be wise or foolish, so my life and work are meaningless. Then I decided that food, drink and satisfaction from work are gifts from God, who gives joy too those who please Him, but if a sinner becomes wealthy He takes it away and gives it to those who please Him. This is also meaningless and grasping for the wind.

Application? – Do I get my pleasure in life from pleasing God? Do I get my pleasure from amassing wealth or from hedonism?

Frances
Aug 1st 2011, 03:26 PM
Ecclesiastes 3

What does the text say?- There is a time for everything on earth – being born and dying, planting and harvesting, killing and healing, breaking down and building up, weeping and laughing, mourning and dancing, gathering or throwing away, gaining or losing, to tear or to mend, to speak or be silent, to love or hate, for war or peace. What does anyone get for all their work? God has made everything beautiful at some time, and has put eternity into the human heart, so nothing is better than to do good and be joyful, to eat and drink and enjoy the fruit of their labour, for these are gifts from God, given so people will respect/fear Him. What has happened before will happen again. Evil and good are mixed together but at the right time God will Judge everyone’s deeds. People have no real advantage over the animals , all life is meaningless, all comes from dust and will return to dust. There is no proof of what happens after death, so everyone may as well enjoy life for it is all we have.

Application? – Am I aware of the right time for me to act in every situation? Do I recognise the each area of beauty in the world? If Jesus Christ had not paid the penalty for my Sin, and if I do not submit to Him as my Lord and Saviour, there is no purpose to my life at all.

Frances
Aug 2nd 2011, 06:03 PM
Ecclesiastes 4+5

What does the text say? - I considered all the oppressed in the world and thought the dead were better off than the living, and those who had never existed the most fortunate. Then I saw that people are motivated to success because they envy their neighbours, but this, too, is chasing the wind and it’s better to have one handful of quietness than to have two handfuls of hard work. Then I saw meaninglessness in the life of one alone working hard with no one to leave their wealth to. Two people are better off than one for they can help each other, three are even better for a three-fold cord is hard to break. It is better to be young and poor than old and foolishly refusing all advise. It’s all meaningless. It is evil to make mindless offerings to God, do not make Him rash promises. Too many words make you a fool. When you make a promise to God keep it quickly for He does not like fools, so it’s better not to promise than to break a promise to Him, for excuses make Him angry. Talk is cheap, like day-dreams and other useless activities so fear God instead. Don’t be surprised to see a poor person being oppressed or by miscarriages of justice, for matters of justice get lost in red-tape and bureaucracy. Even the King benefits from other people’s labours. Wealth does not bring true happiness, the more you have the more people help you spend it, and it will slip through your fingers. Physical labour ensures a good night’s sleep which the rich rarely enjoy. All hoarded riches can vanish, and no one can take their wealth to the grave. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life is a Gift from God.

Application? – It is more sensible to be satisfied with what you have than to chase wealth. Do I keep my promise to God? Do I talk too much? Do I ever oppress others? Am I satisfied with what I have? If I don’t sleep well how can I change my thoughts to ensure restful sleep? Am I content with my life or always wanting more?

buklodcs
Aug 3rd 2011, 04:36 AM
visit here (http://www.jairusvisualbible.x10.mx/) for a very useful bible tool
http://www.jairusvisualbible.x10.mx/
(http://www.jairusvisualbible.x10.mx/)

Frances
Aug 3rd 2011, 04:26 PM
Ecclesiastes 6

What does the text say?- Life is meaningless because God gave some people everything they could want but did not give them the chance to enjoy these things before they die leaving others to enjoy them. If a man has 100 children but has no satisfaction in life, he would have been better off never to have been born, as he will die like everyone else his life having been meaningless. Wise people are no better off than fools. Enjoy what you have, it’s better than desiring something else. It is no use arguing with God about your destiny. Our lives are like a shadow and no one can know the future on earth.

Application? – Am I content with what I have? Have I accepted God’s Gift of Salvation?

Frances
Aug 4th 2011, 03:28 PM
Ecclesiastes 7

What does the text say? – A good reputation is valuable. It’s better to go to funerals than parties. Sorrow is better than laughter. All a fool thinks about is having a good time. It’s better to be criticized by a wise person then praised by a fool. Bribery is destructive. Patience is better than pride. Control your temper or you will be seen to be a fool. Wisdom and wealth are beneficial. Accept the way God does things, prosperity and hard times both come from Him. I’ve discovered life is meaningless, as it includes the death of good young people and the long life of the wicked. Don’t be too wicked or foolish, fear God and avoid both extremes. One wise person is better than 10 rulers. No one is always good. Don’t eavesdrop or you may hear yourself cursed. Wisdom is always just out of reach. I discovered that a seductive woman is a trap more bitter than death, her passion is a snare and her hands are chains that will catch sinners. Though I have searched everywhere I have not found what I seek, but discovered that although God created people to be virtuous no one is truly good.

Application? – Do I have a good reputation?
Do I take notice of criticism or only of praise?
Am I patient? Do I control my temper?
Am I grateful to God for what I have?
Do I fear God?
Am I virtuous?

Frances
Aug 5th 2011, 04:55 PM
Ecclesiastes 8+9

What does the text say? – Wisdom makes the face shine and show gentleness. Obey the king as you promised God. The king has power so obey him. The wise people will do what is right. No one can avoid what they are unaware of. No one can prevent their own death. Wicked people are sometimes buried with honour which is meaningless. Because sentence for a crime is not carried out immediately evil is encouraged. It will be well with those who fear God, but not with the wicked. How anyone is treated on earth is meaningless, so I recommend enjoying yourself. Not even the wise people can know everything. I want to declare that the wise and righteous are in God’s Hands, however anything may happen to the righteous and wicked alike, as man’s hearts are evil. That is why more people do not try to be good. Go ahead, eat, drink and be merry, wear nice clothes and use perfume, live happily all the meaningless days of your life. I’ve also realised the fastest runner does not always win the race, nor is the battle always won by the strongest side, the wise sometimes go hungry, and the skilful are not always wealthy, the educated don’t always have successful lives, and like fish in a net or birds in a trap may experience misfortune. Wisdom is better than strength but wisdom from a poor man is despised. It is better to hear the quiet words of a wise person than the shouts of a fool, better to have wisdom than weapons of war but the sinner can destroy much good.

Application? – Do I keep my promises to God? Do I obey the laws of my nation? Do I seek more wisdom and share it quietly? Or do I loudly proclaim what I think is right?

Frances
Aug 6th 2011, 04:31 PM
Ecclesiastes 10,11+12

What does the text say? – A little foolishness from someone honoured for wisdom is like a dead fly in perfume. If your boss is angry with you don’t quit, a quiet spirit can overcome great mistakes. Rulers can error by letting foolish people have high positions and worthy people lowly ones, or by letting slaves act like princes or princes work like slaves. Danger lurks in many tasks. Sharpen your axe or you’ll have to work harder. Fools are destroyed by what they say, their thoughts are assumptions so their conclusions are madness and they talk too much. No one can predict the future. A nation is blessed if their rulers do not get drunk (eg. with power). Buildings decay through laziness. Parties give laughter, wine gives happiness, and money gives everything. Don’t curse your leaders or they may hear of it. Cast your bread on the waters and you will benefit later. Divide investments among many places. Some things are inevitable eg. rain comes from heavy clouds. Those who wait for a perfect time will not sow or harvest. You cannot understand God any more than how a baby in the womb grows. Keep busy with many activities for you don’t know which will prosper. Life is meaningless. Remember that God will Judge what you do in your youth. Enjoy being young but remember your Creator will hold you to account for all your life, not just when you get old and die. Everything is meaningless. The words of the wise are like goads, painful but helpful. Writing books is endless and much study wears you out. It’s important to fear God and obey Him for He will Judge everything we do , good or bad.

Application? – Do I take offence too easily? Am I mindful of possible danger? Do I talk too much? Am I lazy? Do I invest wisely? Do I procrastinate? Do I realise that God is in control? Do I keep busy? Could anything I have ever done have displeased God? If so, would I be wise to trust Jesus Christ to be my Saviour?