PDA

View Full Version : Something smells bad in the Finnish Lutheran Church

doug3
Jun 30th 2011, 12:21 PM
A major Finnish (Helsinki) newspaper (Helsingin Sanomat) wrote, on Sunday June24th, that the Lutheran Bishop of Helsinki had reported that she had been in recent negotiations with the Chairman of the Islam community in Finland regarding the use of Finnish Lutheran churches/facilities for Islamic worship.:eek: The Finnish Lutheran Church already has several practices that are questionable, to say the least, including blessing (but not performing) same-sex marriages. This is a another very worrying development. :cry: It will be interesting to see how the more fundamentalist elements within the Finnish Lutheran Church act, of which there are at least three groups. Another group broke away earlier. This ought to make the mind up of some groups that until now have 'sat on the fence'. Sadly, it will probably not.
What would people here do if they were in one of these groups that have been 'sitting on the fence'? :hmm:

(PS. The only reliable link on the actual matter I have is to the Helsingin Sanomat newspaper article in Finnish. If anyone wants it, please PM me.

Bishop of Helsinki: http://geoconger.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/woman-bishop-for-helsinki-the-church-of-england-newspaper-june-12-2010/)

Warrior4God
Jun 30th 2011, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately, this isn't surprising. The Bible says that in the end times we'll see false doctrines of demons being preached, people will want preaching to be done in such a way that it's pleasing and "tickles the ears," and that false teachers will come into the church like wolves among the sheep to lead people astray. All these compromises to biblical principles that these churches are guilty of committing is merely fulfilling prophecy. So, though on the one hand it's disheartening to see, it's actually a good thing because it means that Jesus is that much closer to His return. :D

gringo300
Jun 30th 2011, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=doug3;2708415]A major Finnish (Helsinki) newspaper (Helsingin Sanomat) wrote, on Sunday June24th, that the Lutheran Bishop of Helsinki had reported that she had been in recent negotiations with the Chairman of the Islam community in Finland regarding the use of Finnish Lutheran churches/facilities for Islamic worship.:eek:

Huh?

I've suddenly got a headache...

gringo300
Jun 30th 2011, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=doug3;2708415]A major Finnish (Helsinki) newspaper (Helsingin Sanomat) wrote, on Sunday June24th, that the Lutheran Bishop of Helsinki had reported that she had been in recent negotiations with the Chairman of the Islam community in Finland regarding the use of Finnish Lutheran churches/facilities for Islamic worship.:eek: The Finnish Lutheran Church already has several practices that are questionable, to say the least, including blessing (but not performing) same-sex marriages. This is a another very worrying development. :cry: [FONT=Calibri]

Let's try that again...

Huh?

I've suddenly got a headache...

gringo300
Jun 30th 2011, 03:40 PM
(sigh)

I give up...

Cornflake
Jun 30th 2011, 03:42 PM
That just sounds like they're loaning out the space when not using it.

NHL Fever
Jun 30th 2011, 04:30 PM
That just sounds like they're loaning out the space when not using it.

That sounds innocent enough....as long as you believe the spiritual world does not exist and its all make believe. However if you do believe a spiritual world exists, then people's actions have spiritual consequences. Put it this way - would you rent out your building to people who plan on trashing the place? So why would you rent it out to people who plan on doing the same spiritually? The reason - because we can't see the spiritual trash with our eyes, and our culture has trained us to only accept what we can see and touch.

Warrior4God
Jun 30th 2011, 06:01 PM
That sounds innocent enough....as long as you believe the spiritual world does not exist and its all make believe. However if you do believe a spiritual world exists, then people's actions have spiritual consequences. Put it this way - would you rent out your building to people who plan on trashing the place? So why would you rent it out to people who plan on doing the same spiritually? The reason - because we can't see the spiritual trash with our eyes, and our culture has trained us to only accept what we can see and touch.

Exactly. The Bible indicates there is a spiritual realm. This includes angels and demons. We, as Christians, believe that our faith is the true one. That being the case, we don't believe that Islam is the right path to God. However, there is somebody in the spirit realm that loves people being deceived into thinking Islam is a valid path to God. This is Satan. He has fallen angels, known as demons, that do his dirty work. When you have worship of a false god, Allah, who do you think would love to be around helping to bring deception? Demons. Why would you, as a Christian, allow an activity, the worship of Allah, that invites demons into the building? Islam has no place in a Christian church. If you think it's ok to allow Muslims to hold service in a Christian church, you might as well also allow open satanism to be practiced in the church. :2cents:

Cornflake
Jun 30th 2011, 06:06 PM
I assume this is the same attitude taken toward the American churches that have done this or vice versa. I don't get why Finnish Lutherans are criticized when they're not the first people to loan or rent out a church building.

Saved7
Jun 30th 2011, 06:06 PM
A major Finnish (Helsinki) newspaper (Helsingin Sanomat) wrote, on Sunday June24th, that the Lutheran Bishop of Helsinki had reported that she had been in recent negotiations with the Chairman of the Islam community in Finland regarding the use of Finnish Lutheran churches/facilities for Islamic worship.:eek: The Finnish Lutheran Church already has several practices that are questionable, to say the least, including blessing (but not performing) same-sex marriages. This is a another very worrying development. :cry: It will be interesting to see how the more fundamentalist elements within the Finnish Lutheran Church act, of which there are at least three groups. Another group broke away earlier. This ought to make the mind up of some groups that until now have 'sat on the fence'. Sadly, it will probably not.
What would people here do if they were in one of these groups that have been 'sitting on the fence'? :hmm:

(PS. The only reliable link on the actual matter I have is to the Helsingin Sanomat newspaper article in Finnish. If anyone wants it, please PM me.

Bishop of Helsinki: http://geoconger.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/woman-bishop-for-helsinki-the-church-of-england-newspaper-june-12-2010/)

What a mess, the churches around the world are caving in to outside pressure to "love" outside of God's will.

The Mighty Sword
Jun 30th 2011, 06:09 PM
So one congregation will usher in the presence of the Holy Spirit and then immediately after another congregation will usher in the presence of a false god, is that about right???

gringo300
Jun 30th 2011, 06:11 PM
This whole situation strikes me as... just plain bizarre.

Warrior4God
Jun 30th 2011, 06:51 PM
I assume this is the same attitude taken toward the American churches that have done this or vice versa. I don't get why Finnish Lutherans are criticized when they're not the first people to loan or rent out a church building.

I have no problem with criticizing an American church that does the same stupid thing that this Finnish church is doing. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, I believe I have heard about this same exact thing happening in American churches recently.

Warrior4God
Jun 30th 2011, 06:52 PM
So one congregation will usher in the presence of the Holy Spirit and then immediately after another congregation will usher in the presence of a false god, is that about right???

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell...

Warrior4God
Jun 30th 2011, 06:55 PM
What a mess, the churches around the world are caving in to outside pressure to "love" outside of God's will.

Pretty much what is happening. In their minds, this congregation believes they are doing a good thing. They believe that it's ok to compromise on God's standards as long as it's about building relationships so that they can share the Gospel. Like I said earlier, this is no different than allowing satanists to hold black masses in Christian churches. :2cents:

Caleb
Jun 30th 2011, 09:46 PM
the Lutheran Bishop of Helsinki had reported that she had been in recent negotiations

I guess that is were the problem started.

shepherdsword
Jun 30th 2011, 10:03 PM

Trust me,the American "christian" churches that do this get just as much criticism,if not more.

doug3
Jul 1st 2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for your comments so far.

NHL Fever
Jul 3rd 2011, 04:05 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to make the statement universally. With prayerful consideration, a church can be rent, donate etc their space for other activities, as a matter of fact this might be a great way to reach the community (after school programs, tutoring, sports, etc) but the line should be drawn and activities that directly contradict the truths which the churchs stands for.

doug3
Jul 3rd 2011, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to make the statement universally. With prayerful consideration, a church can be rent, donate etc their space for other activities, as a matter of fact this might be a great way to reach the community (after school programs, tutoring, sports, etc) but the line should be drawn and activities that directly contradict the truths which the churchs stands for.

Exactly.

(15 characters)