PDA

View Full Version : Abraham's altars and Joshua's conquest

Nihil Obstat
Jul 2nd 2011, 04:53 AM
Someone some years ago told me that if you follow where Abraham built altars to the Lord, that those places corresponded to the book of Joshua / Judges. Has anyone here heard about that? Not sure if the person was right, and I don't really have the time to search it out myself at the moment, so I thought I'd start this thread up for some quick feedback. Thanks.

Nihil Obstat
Jul 3rd 2011, 06:08 AM
Abraham's second altar was between Ai and Bethel (Gen. 12:8), which was where Joshua directed his army to wait in ambush to gain their second victory (Jos. 8:9). I'll have to find and check out the others later. Presently I'm wondering if maybe the author of Joshua added some things to Genesis, or if he might've structured the account of Joshua's conquest in such a way (maybe not always chronological historically) as to follow Abraham's paths through the land. Inconclusive at the moment.

BroRog
Jul 3rd 2011, 05:14 PM
Abraham's second altar was between Ai and Bethel (Gen. 12:8), which was where Joshua directed his army to wait in ambush to gain their second victory (Jos. 8:9). I'll have to find and check out the others later. Presently I'm wondering if maybe the author of Joshua added some things to Genesis, or if he might've structured the account of Joshua's conquest in such a way (maybe not always chronological historically) as to follow Abraham's paths through the land. Inconclusive at the moment.I have never heard this before, but it doesn't surprise me that such a view would be floating out there considering that scholars from Duke University and others, who do not believe that the Bible is a true record of what actually took place, but a fabrication constructed by Hebrew scribes many years after the fact, are writing books and teaching students these ideas. Be careful of Bible scholars wearing sheep's clothing.

The idea that historians will employ an organizing principle other than chronology makes it plausible that the author of Joshua might have done such a thing. But I do not accept the idea that the author of Joshua changed the book of Genesis to suit his fantasy version of history.