PDA

View Full Version : Information Stopping wordpress spam bots for free.

ikester7579
Jul 12th 2011, 04:52 AM
Spam bots are annoying. But I found a plugin for wordpress that eliminated them. It's called Text Captcha. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/text-captcha/

Instead of showing letters to copy with lines through them, it asks questions. You can custom the questions and answers. It also has pre-programed math question that you just toggle on or off. It's been a week now and I have had zero bots.

bdh
Jul 12th 2011, 06:44 AM
Spammers - the scourge of the internet! :)

bob
Jul 12th 2011, 06:48 PM
I hate those blasted things.

ikester7579
Jul 12th 2011, 10:49 PM
I was getting a bunch of them. Some posted like regular people but I came aware because they all put links to their stuff in the website area. And lots had the same phrase just different names they posted the phrases under. Askmet was always marking them as spam.

bdh
Jul 13th 2011, 04:50 AM
I hate those blasted things.Personally I blame Google for a lot of it. "SEO" only really took off in a big way when Google started deploying it's "page Rank". Since then every spammer and his aunty try to spam-up the works with links to their sites.

I remember being able to type an IP address into a search engine and actually get some meaningful answer. Now it's all but useless and spammers put up pages and pages of IP tables with zero information... and trying to search for an online pharmacy or compare drug prices is a joke. Thousands of search terms are now totally obscured by spam links and spam sites. So much about our once lovely internet is now dysfunctional.

Guilo
Jul 18th 2011, 02:57 PM
Try Akismet, it catches spam that manages to make it past Captcha