PDA

View Full Version : Group Sues To Stop Texas Governor's Prayer Day

Saved7
Jul 14th 2011, 05:01 PM
Pray that this group fail to win their case against the governor. If the governor were a hollywood movie star taking advantage of the fact that he is well known they couldn't sue, and I pray that since this man is doing exactly what the Bible calls our leaders to do, I pray that the Lord strengthen the Governor's case and let's this go on as planned.

http://news.yahoo.com/group-sues-stop-texas-governors-prayer-day-210829379.html

"The answers for America's problems won't be found on our knees or in heaven, but by using our brains, our reason and in compassionate action," said Dan Barker, a co-director of the foundation. "Gov. Perry's distasteful use of his civil office to plan and dictate a religious course of action to 'all citizens' is deeply offensive to many citizens, as well as to our secular form of government."

Well, those who feel we can solve this without God can go ahead and continue to butt heads with those who feel the same way and achieve nothing. And if it's offensive to them, then they don't have to participate. God be with Gov. Perry.

The foundation said it does not oppose politicians taking part in religious services, but that Perry crossed a line by initiating the event,

Soooo, what? Their argument is that because he is a Governor, he is not allowed to practice his faith in full and "initiate" a call to prayer. Fine, then let his wife "initiate" it, though I am sure they will have a problem with that too. I mean, give me a break, it's not like he's using his position to "force" anybody into anything. That's what our constitution is concerned with protecting us from.

quiet dove
Jul 14th 2011, 05:34 PM
The answers for America's problems won't be found on our knees or in heaven, but by using our brains, our reason and in compassionate action," said Dan Barker, a co-director of the foundation. "Gov. Perry's distasteful use of his civil office to plan and dictate a religious course of action to 'all citizens' is deeply offensive to many citizens, as well as to our secular form of government."

Yea, our brains are getting us out of trouble, which brain was it that got us into trouble....hmmmm. I am wondering to if 'brains' can control the conscience and curve it in the direction of Godly, I'm thinking we have the proof on that one too.

I agree, if a Hollywood type were to organize a day of Oprahism or whateverelseism, they would be haled as social heroes

Warrior4God
Jul 14th 2011, 06:21 PM
I agree, if a Hollywood type were to organize a day of Oprahism or whateverelseism, they would be haled as social heroes

That goes without saying. That's a total given. :2cents:

Faithful One
Jul 15th 2011, 03:34 AM
Hooray for Texas,... keep it up!:pp
If you are making the radical, liberal "Hate God" groups angry.... you gotta be doing something right! :kiss:

"If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you..." - Jesus (Jn . 15:20)

Faithful

thethirdtuttle
Jul 15th 2011, 10:57 PM
The thing I find interesting about the article you posted the link to, saved7, is that, at the end, the reason the atheists and agnostics were filing the lawsuit was because they felt their "rights" were infringed upon because they couldn't rent billboards to protest the event. That was because they had already been rented to promote the event. I'm sorry, but where does it say in any of our founding documents that American citizens have a "right" to rent billboards?! I mean, come on! The ability to buy, sell and rent is a privilege, not a right. Besides, the first amendment specifically says "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof...", not the governor of Texas. After all, as one of the comments on the article's website mentioned, Christianity has been established for a long time. Besides, nobody is forcing anybody to attend. If the atheists and agnostics want to have their own day of reflection or what have you, nobody is stopping them from doing so. It's this type of thing that makes me think that the end is closer than we all might think. Just some of my thoughts on the matter. God bless, and have a great day in the Lord!

Yours in Christ,

Benjamin

Saved7
Jul 15th 2011, 11:34 PM
The thing I find interesting about the article you posted the link to, saved7, is that, at the end, the reason the atheists and agnostics were filing the lawsuit was because they felt their "rights" were infringed upon because they couldn't rent billboards to protest the event. That was because they had already been rented to promote the event. I'm sorry, but where does it say in any of our founding documents that American citizens have a "right" to rent billboards?! I mean, come on! The ability to buy, sell and rent is a privilege, not a right. Besides, the first amendment specifically says "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof...", not the governor of Texas. After all, as one of the comments on the article's website mentioned, Christianity has been established for a long time. Besides, nobody is forcing anybody to attend. If the atheists and agnostics want to have their own day of reflection or what have you, nobody is stopping them from doing so. It's this type of thing that makes me think that the end is closer than we all might think. Just some of my thoughts on the matter. God bless, and have a great day in the Lord!

Yours in Christ,

Benjamin

That is interesting....so if all the billboards had been rented by other companies for other reasons, would they have felt like their "rights" had been infringed upon? Doubtful.

NHL Fever
Jul 15th 2011, 11:35 PM
If the governor is using his office, public media available to him through his office or any other form of taxpayer funded apparatus to promote or endorse it, he is probably treading thinly. However it does not look like that is that case, it seems he is simply expressing his personal opinion about it and promoting it as a citizen. Politicians are allowed to have opinions. If the atheist group does not like it, they are free to disparage it however they would like. If the people overall don't like it, they are free to not elect him next time.