PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - James (2)

Frances
Jul 25th 2011, 05:10 PM
James (2)(quote from NKJV Foreword) “Verbal faith is not enough, mental faith is insufficient. . . Faith must inspire action . . . Faith will not allow us to consent to our lust and slide into Sin. Faith is demonstrated by obedience. . . Faith produces separation from the world and submission to God. Through trouble and trial it stifles complaining. “

James 1
What does the text say? – Regard troubles as an opportunity for joy as when your faith is tested your endurance may grow, and when it is fully developed you will be perfect and complete. If you need wisdom ask God and you will receive it if you ask while trusting in Him alone – for a person with divided loyalties must not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Rich and poor are equal in God’s sight. God Blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation knowing that when they have been approved they will receive the crown of Life God has Promised to those who love Him. God doesn’t tempt anyone to do evil,
; temptation comes from our own evil desires which give birth to sinful actions - and Sin, when allowed to grow, brings Death. Don’t be deceived, whatever is good and perfect comes from God our Creator who never changes. He chose to give us Birth by giving us His Word, so be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness of God. Get rid of all filth and evil in your lives and humbly accept the Word of God for it has Power to save your souls. Don’t just listen to God’s Word but you must do what it says. It is those whose actions proclaim their faith in Him that please God.

Application? – Do I regard difficulties as a means of becoming more Christ-like? Do I always ask the Lord for wisdom and then act on it? Do I accept my position in life happily? Do I resist temptation or give in to it? Do I thank God for each Blessing I receive? Does my faith in God encourage me to good actions? Do I help other people?

Frances
Jul 26th 2011, 05:57 PM
James 2

What does the text say? – Jesus Christ does not favour one person above another so neither must you. You must not give preference to a rich person over a poor person, for that judgement is guided by evil motives. God has chosen the poor people to be rich in faith and to inherit the Kingdom He promised to those who love Him, but you dishonour poor people. Don’t slander Jesus Christ by your actions. If you really obey the Royal Law ‘Love your neighbour as yourself’ you will do well, but if you favour some people over others you commit Sin and are guilty of breaking the Law. The person who breaks one of God’s Laws is as guilty as the person who breaks them all. God said you must not murder, He also said you must not commit adultery; if you don’t commit adultery but do not murder you have still broken the Law. Whatever you day or do you will be Judged by the Law that sets you free (the Law of Jesus Christ). There will be no mercy for those who have shown no mercy to others. If you show mercy God will be merciful when He Judges you. What good is it to say you have faith but not show it in your actions? That kind of faith won’t Save anyone as it is dead and useless. How can you show your faith if you don’t do good deeds? Even the demons believe in God. Abraham’s faith in God was shown by his deed of offering Isaac on the altar, his actions made his faith complete. Rahab proved her faith in God when she hid the Israelite spies. As the ;body is dead without breath so faith is dead without good works.

Application? – Do I take more notice of rich and influential people? Do I treat everyone as I would like to be treated? Do my actions demonstrate my faith? Do I live more cheaply so I can give more to those in parts of the world where the people have too little(eg. food, clean water or inadequate housing)? Is my faith in Jesus Christ alive or dead?

Frances
Jul 27th 2011, 04:00 PM
James 3

What does the text say? – Bear in mind that the Judgement teachers receive will be more severe even though we all make mistakes in many ways. If we could control our tongues we would be perfect and could control ourselves in every other way. Horses are controlled by a bit in their mouths and ships by a very small rudder, but the tongue is like a flame of wickedness corrupting your entire body, setting your life on fire. No one can tame the tongue which is full of deadly poison; sometimes it praises God and sometimes curses those made in the image of God. This is not right. If you are wise and understand God’s Ways prove it by living an honourable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. If you are jealous and have selfish ambition in your heart don’t cover up the truth with boasting and lying, for jealousy is selfishness and not Godly wisdom, but earthly, un-spiritual and demonic, demonstrated in evil of every kind. The Wisdom from God is pure, peace-loving, gentle and willing to yield to others, full of mercy and good deeds, it shows no favouritism and is always sincere. A harvest of righteousness is reaped by those who are peacemakers and who sow seeds of peace.

Application? - My opinions will be Judged by God; are they worthy of Him? Do I control my tongue or does what I say inflame others and encourage wickedness? Do I sometimes praise God at other times curse other people? Do I envy others? Am I ever selfish? Are my thoughts and actions always pure? Do I work for peace? Am I always gentle? Do I yield to others if they are proved right instead of me? Am I merciful? Is all I do acceptable to the Lord? Do I show favouritism? Am I always sincere? Am I a peacemaker? Do I encourage others to make their peace with God?

Frances
Jul 28th 2011, 04:07 PM
James 4

What does the text say? – Wars and fights come from your evil desires, you want what you can’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have so try to take it from them. Even when you ask God for what you desire you don’t get it because your motives are only for your pleasure. Don’t you know that friendship with the ‘world’ makes you an enemy of God? But He desires the Spirit He put in us to win the battle against worldly desires. God resists the proud but gives Grace to the humble, so submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you, draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Wash your hands and purify your hearts, and stop dividing your loyalty between God and ‘the world’ and grieve for what you have done. Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will lift you up. If you criticize and Judge each other you criticize and judge God’s Law, but you must obey it. God alone is the Judge, He alone has Power to save or destroy. Your plans may not come to fruition because you don’t know what will happen in the future. Your plans should acknowledge the Lord’s control of events. Remember that it is Sin to know what you aught to do but not do it.

Application? - Am I jealous of what other people have? Do I scheme to get it away from them? If my requests to God are selfish I will not receive what I ask for. I cannot be a friend of both ‘the world’ and God – but only one or the other. Do I submit to God in everything? Am I determined to please God? Do I grieve about my past ungodly deeds and thoughts? Have I repented of them all? Do I criticise others? Do I always submit my plans to God, willing to alter them if He does not approve? Do I try to do what will please God or myself?

propheticmaster
Jul 29th 2011, 11:44 AM
so many things i can learn from this speech thanks to forward to us .... Many thanks

Frances
Jul 29th 2011, 02:31 PM
James 5

What does the text say? – Rich people should weep and groan because of the troubles ahead of them – their wealth is rotting away, their gold and silver have become worthless and will be evidence against them on the day of Judgement, if it has been acquired in ways that displease the Lord. Don’t grumble or you will be Judged. Be patient for the coming of the Lord, in a similar way to a farmer waiting for harvest. We honour those who endure under suffering, eg/ Job, and how compassionate and merciful the Lord is. Above all don’t swear by heaven or earth or anything else, but let your ‘yes’ mean ‘yes’ and your ‘no’ mean ‘no’. If you are suffering you should pray. If you are happy you should sing the Lord’s praises. If you are sick you should send for the leaders of the church to come and pray for you, anointing you with oil in the Name of the Lord, such a prayer, offered in faith, will heal the sick and the Lord will make you well and your sins will be forgiven. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be Healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous person has great power. Elijah was just like us and his prayers, in accordance with the Lord’s Will, were answered. Those who turn a Sinner from the error of their ways will bring about the forgiveness of many Sins.

Application? – Do I use part of my income to help the poor?
Could I be more patient?
Am I eagerly waiting for the Lord to return?
Do I grumble about other people?
Can what I say be trusted?
Do I pray and praise the Lord?
Do I confess my Sins to others?
Do I pray for others?