PDA

View Full Version : Baptism

True-hope
Jul 31st 2011, 05:26 PM
I have searched this site on questions about Baptism but I'm still confused.

When I was a child I wanted to be Baptized in the worst way ( I still do). I wanted to be a part of "something greater". I told this to my parents and only my dad seemed to understand. We were out camping together ( before they divorced of course) and my dad decided to baptize my brother and I.
This is going to sound disgusting, I know, but:
The river was too cold and too fast to do this...so he proceeded to pour vodka and water on my brother and I, while having us tell him why we should be Baptized, why we wanted to be Baptized, why Jesus died to save us, etc.
At the end he said " I now Baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

My question is this: Did he really Baptize us that day? Did the Satanic cocktail that he poured on our heads push God away?
How can I be Baptized when I don't belong to any organized religion?
How do I know which religion is correct? What if I get Baptized at a church that God doesn't really approve of?
In Revelations he points out the problems that the 12 churches have...I guess this is why I've always been afraid to attend the "wrong" church...that and because of those people that I have talked to in the past telling me that "their religion is the true one".
I don't know what to do or what to believe.

Any and ALL suggestions/comments/answers will be appreciated. Thank you.

DDGresham1
Jul 31st 2011, 06:02 PM
No, he didn't "push God away." He also didn't baptise you. Baptism is by water. As far as which church, do some research on what each denomination believes and pick the one that you feel follows your beliefs most closely. This may change over the years. I've changed denominations twice now. Once you join the church you can be baptised.

BroRog
Jul 31st 2011, 07:03 PM
My question is this: Did he really Baptize us that day?If you agreed to become a disciple of Jesus Christ, and it sounds like you did, the answer is yes. You were baptized.

Did the Satanic cocktail that he poured on our heads push God away?No. In my opinion the cocktail was holy, sanctified by your father's love for you, your love for your father, and your desire to become a disciple of Jesus, trusting in him for eternal life.

How can I be Baptized when I don't belong to any organized religion?You don't need to be part of an organized religion. Remember, Paul and the other apostles were baptizing folks who were not part of an organized religion.

How do I know which religion is correct?It depends on our goal in life. If we are looking for a personal practice that God will approve, James says, the only correct religion is the one that feeds the poor and gives aid to the widows. God will be pleased if you obey his son and take care of those less fortunate. If you are asking what church to belong to, my advice is to seek a church in which other people, like you, want to love and obey the Lord.

What if I get Baptized at a church that God doesn't really approve of?It doesn't matter where you get baptized. The only thing that matters is whether you were using that opportunity to announce your intention to become a disciple of Christ, love him, obey him, learn from him, and trust him. The venue doesn't matter.

In Revelations he points out the problems that the 12 churches have...I guess this is why I've always been afraid to attend the "wrong" church...that and because of those people that I have talked to in the past telling me that "their religion is the true one".
Your instincts are good and it is always a good idea to seek the advice of scripture. I think you should not focus on the particular denomination, but focus on the people inside the church. Find a group of people, like yourself, who want to live according to the scriptures and to please God. Find a church that allows you to ask questions and gives you the room to make mistakes and to grow. The most important issue is that we find a group of people who will encourage us to keep believing.

I don't know what to do or what to believe.Yes, you do. Your very intelligent and insightful comments here have demonstrated to me that you already know what to do and what to believe. Keep up the good work. God is patient and willing to wait for us to work through the tough issues and to ask questions when we need to ask questions. You are doing great.

Hunter121
Aug 1st 2011, 02:17 AM
Well baptism is done by water, the vodka did not turn God away but brought Him closer to you, because you sought Him. It is your choice of whether your a born again or not. if you are unsure about which religion is correct, or which church to go to then read His word, the more you read the more you will understand, be diligent and seek Him, if you seek Him, He will find you.

Raybob
Aug 1st 2011, 10:12 AM

When I was a child I wanted to be Baptized in the worst way ( I still do)..You can baptize yourself, anytime you wish, in your own bath tub, with no one but yourself and God in that room. Know that it is symbolic of being cleansed of the old life to be renewed into the new one in Him. Then live your life knowing that you have been cleansed and are now resurrected unto a new life in Him. That's what it's all about.

Adstars
Aug 1st 2011, 01:10 PM

When I was a child I wanted to be Baptized in the worst way ( I still do). I wanted to be a part of "something greater". I told this to my parents and only my dad seemed to understand. We were out camping together ( before they divorced of course) and my dad decided to baptize my brother and I.
The river was too cold and too fast to do this...so he proceeded to pour vodka and water on my brother and I, while having us tell him why we should be Baptized, why we wanted to be Baptized, why Jesus died to save us, etc.
At the end he said " I now Baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

My question is this: Did he really Baptize us that day? Did the Satanic cocktail that he poured on our heads push God away?
How can I be Baptized when I don't belong to any organized religion?
How do I know which religion is correct? What if I get Baptized at a church that God doesn't really approve of?
I don't know what to do or what to believe.

Any and ALL suggestions/comments/answers will be appreciated. Thank you.

Baptisim of the Spirit comes when one believes Jesus/ trusts in the atonement Jesus provided for ones slavation. Anything more is just a public statement of an already finished process.

Don't concern yourself with religions. Concern yourself with seeking to grow in the knowledge of salvation. Get into the Message of God/Jesus always asking for the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Keep the faith.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

uric3
Aug 1st 2011, 02:30 PM
If it bothers you and you are unsure of your baptism you can always be baptized again... no harm in that. We see in Acts 19:1-7 there were 12 men who were baptized again since their first baptism was that of John the Baptist... I know of a individual who was baptized to please his future in-laws so he could marry their daughter. Later he was re-baptized noting he was worried his first wouldn't be acceptable since he had other motives behind doing it.

So to keep you from worry and to lift that weight off your shoulders I would do it again if for nothing else but to put your worries to rest. As for the right church I can understand your feeling... me I have changed so much over the years and I've come to this conclusion each church is going to have some kind of fault... however as long as we are sincere God will forgive us of our faults... I know I have varying views on something things that other people hold dearly to... so for me I don't judge them or try to make them defy their consciences.

However there are various things a church should believe and hold to... by their fruits you should know them... I used to attend a church that was very judgmental on minute things would divide at the drop of a hat... that's not a good environment to be in... the place I go to has an array of people with various view points and we can still be in unity. It makes for good Bible study because if you only hear one view point then you will never grow... also its good to be in an environment where you can question things and ask questions rather one that you are look down upon if you question various acts or passages and their dogma.

Anyway I wish you the best and as noted I would be baptized again if for nothing else than to ease your worry... as for the church I would just compare Scripture with what they teach... if you ever need anything feel free to PM me I would be happy to help if you have any questions.

Amos_with_goats
Aug 1st 2011, 03:00 PM
First,

Thanks to all who replied to this post. There have been some really well intentioned posts here, on what can be a divisive issue.

To the OP,

I believe that baptism is; and ordinance, that we do in obedience to Christ.... and it is also an "outward sign of an inward change".

That your father baptized you in this way, done in faith seems much like the kind of weird act of a heart that desires to obey... that seems just like what I see recorded in scripture as being pleasing to the Lord.

That you seem to wonder about the 'validity' of it suggests that you might be a good candidate for being baptized again. I have baptized folks as second time, and have myself been baptized. (once by sprinkling, and again by immersion)

There is no scripture that would prohibit such a thing...

The denominational question is valid, but frankly I think you may have a solution in search of the problem... or rather that points to a problem.

You need to be in fellowship with other followers of Christ. No, really... you do.

This board is great! It is not a substitute for real 'flesh and blood' fellowship.

You may not 'agree' with the tenants of a body, but find a place to fellowship where you can plug in.

Maybe your question is a good one to help see where the Lord would lead you... if you talk to a pastor and he
is not 'on board' with baptizing / re-baptizing you... maybe you are to keep looking.

Blessings to you as you seek to obey the Lord!

Slug1
Aug 1st 2011, 03:16 PM
If it bothers you and you are unsure of your baptism you can always be baptized again... no harm in that. We see in Acts 19:1-7 there were 12 men who were baptized again since their first baptism was that of John the Baptist... This baptism is not the one that the OP is discussing.

The baptism experienced in Acts 19 is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is done after a person has believed in Jesus Christ and has been sealed by the Holy Spirit. Later as God wills, some will and some will not also receive this baptism. When we accept Christ and become saved and then, "get baptized" as an outward act/sign of faith in God, through Jesus... this is of water. Later, if we also receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit... this is of fire.

We can divide the scriptures from Acts 19 with many other scriptures and Acts 8 is the best to do this with. In verses Acts 8:12-13 we understand that Phillip is speaking the Gospel to many and many are accepting Jesus (saved) and are being baptized... this is their water baptism.

Then in Acts 8:14-17 we understand that "later" two of the Apostles came down to where Phillip was and they visited all those who had accepted Christ, got their water baptism and are now all saved. These two then preceded to do what Paul did upon those 12 who he bumped into and found out that they believed and received their water baptism.

Many received the Holy Spirit in power and this is what it is meant... of fire. One specific one did not because of the condition of his heart.

Many say this stopped because there are no more Apostles to lay on of hands... well, Apostles ARE NOT needed for anyone to receive this baptism of the Holy Spirit. This understanding is given to us through Acts 10 when Cornelius, his family and all his friends who all already believed in Jesus and were actually saved due to this belief... they all received the baptism of the Holy Spirit without an Apostle praying over them "for" the receiving of the Holy Spirit in power (fire). This understanding is also given to us in Acts 2 when all in the upper room received their baptism of the Holy Spirit. All 120 of them DID NOT have any human hands laid upon them. So in effect the standard actually IS... no need for any laying on of hands.

notuptome
Aug 1st 2011, 04:23 PM
There are two baptisms spoken of in scripture. The first baptism is the baptism of the Holy Spirit which is given by God and received the moment we believe in Christ and ask Christ to save us from our sins. The second baptism is water baptism which is performed by men and is for those who have already received the Holy Spirit baptism unto eternal life. The Holy Spirit baptism is required in that it is our regeneration into eternal life. The water baptism is not required for eternal life but offered that genuine believers in Christ can be dedicated for service to the Lord.

Water baptism can best be seen in Acts 8:36-37 where Philip baptises the eunich in water after the eunich gives testimony that he believes in Jesus Christ. Titus 3:5 illustrates the Holy Spirit baptism of regeneration that saves us.

Before one receives water baptism there must be a clear testimony of having trusted Christ for ones personal salvation. Eph 2:8-9. John 3:16-21

For the cause of Christ
Roger

uric3
Aug 1st 2011, 06:04 PM
This baptism is not the one that the OP is discussing.

The baptism experienced in Acts 19 is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is done after a person has believed in Jesus Christ and has been sealed by the Holy Spirit. Later as God wills, some will and some will not also receive this baptism. When we accept Christ and become saved and then, "get baptized" as an outward act/sign of faith in God, through Jesus... this is of water. Later, if we also receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit... this is of fire.

We can divide the scriptures from Acts 19 with many other scriptures and Acts 8 is the best to do this with. In verses Acts 8:12-13 we understand that Phillip is speaking the Gospel to many and many are accepting Jesus (saved) and are being baptized... this is their water baptism.

I disagree with you on this... look at the text... vs 5 and following in particular it states

"When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 Now the men were about twelve in all. "

We see in verse 5 they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus... then in verse six we see Paul laid hands on them and they got the Holy Spirit... This is what we see in Acts 8... water baptism then laying on of hands for the Holy Spirit as Simon saw it in Acts 8:18 that the Holy Spirit was giving by the laying on of hands.

Anyway it seems like in Acts 19 they were baptized into the name of Christ then the laying on of hands to get the Holy Spirit.

Anyway as noted above if he is bothered enough about his baptism nothing wrong with being re-baptized if for nothing else but to ease his worries.

Caleb
Aug 1st 2011, 09:22 PM
No, he didn't "push God away." He also didn't baptise you. Baptism is by water.

If the Lord can change water into wine, then I am sure that He can change vodka into water!

Hunter121
Aug 2nd 2011, 01:58 AM
You can baptize yourself, anytime you wish, in your own bath tub, with no one but yourself and God in that room. Know that it is symbolic of being cleansed of the old life to be renewed into the new one in Him. Then live your life knowing that you have been cleansed and are now resurrected unto a new life in Him. That's what it's all about.

Really, I was taught you can't baptize yourself. You have to have someone baptize you, is this true or not? I'm just trying to learn not to derail.

Raybob
Aug 2nd 2011, 02:12 AM
Really, I was taught you can't baptize yourself. You have to have someone baptize you, is this true or not? I'm just trying to learn not to derail.I got that from the pastor of the first church I attended when I was first saved. That church would have a baptism at an elder's swimming pool every summer. I got saved in the fall. I asked the pastor. He explained it was only symbolic of the true cleansing of the Holy Spirit and if I couldn't wait until the summer, I could do it in my bath tub. I did it in my bath tub. Many years later, I did it again at another church in a river where they all went for baptism.

DDGresham1
Aug 2nd 2011, 02:32 AM
If the Lord can change water into wine, then I am sure that He can change vodka into water!

Not sure if it has to be by water...I guess if the intent was there it's all that counts but I would do another in water just in case :saint:

jandl
Aug 2nd 2011, 02:40 AM
I would definitely get baptized in a bible believing Baptist Church just because when people ask you about your baptism experience, you won't have to tell the same story. First of all, vodka is not something God wants us to drink, let alone get soaked in...lol.

Sig Sauer
Aug 2nd 2011, 02:55 AM
To the OP
I also noticed that you were baptized with the Father, Son, Holy Ghost, have someone baptize you in the name of Jesus Christ.

Hunter121
Aug 2nd 2011, 03:35 AM
I got that from the pastor of the first church I attended when I was first saved. That church would have a baptism at an elder's swimming pool every summer. I got saved in the fall. I asked the pastor. He explained it was only symbolic of the true cleansing of the Holy Spirit and if I couldn't wait until the summer, I could do it in my bath tub. I did it in my bath tub. Many years later, I did it again at another church in a river where they all went for baptism.

Huh, well I learned something today :)

jandl
Aug 2nd 2011, 04:09 AM
To the OP
I also noticed that you were baptized with the Father, Son, Holy Ghost, have someone baptize you in the name of Jesus Christ.Only if you are a temple worshipping, sabbath observing Jew who is recognizing the fact that YOU killed YOUR messiah. That's Acts 2. The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost is what will work seeings how we are "all nations." Matthew 28:19

zeke77
Aug 2nd 2011, 10:57 PM

My question is this: Did he really Baptize us that day?

The ordnance of Christian baptism is an immersion in water (a burial). The repenting believer is immersed in water "calling upon the name of the Lord". Any disciple of Christ has the authority from the Lord to baptize believers "into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit".

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.'
(Acts 22:16 ESV)

Sig Sauer
Aug 3rd 2011, 01:47 AM
Only if you are a temple worshipping, sabbath observing Jew who is recognizing the fact that YOU killed YOUR messiah. That's Acts 2. The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost is what will work seeings how we are "all nations." Matthew 28:19

Show me one scripture where Father, Son, Holy Ghost was used by the apostles in Baptism.

jandl
Aug 3rd 2011, 01:58 AM
Show me one scripture where Father, Son, Holy Ghost was used by the apostles in Baptism.Many baptisms in the Bible of individuals didn't go into THAT great of detail. When Jesus said to baptize people in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, that was FOR Gentiles (non-Jews). The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ ONLY in Acts 2 was for Jews who were acknowledging the fact that THEY crucified their Messiah. Quite simple really. I will not baptize in the name of Jesus Christ, because I am not baptizing Jews after preaching a national consecration message. I baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost because the people have accepted Christ as their Savior from ALL NATIONS (Matthew 28:19).

Sig Sauer
Aug 3rd 2011, 02:32 AM
Many baptisms in the Bible of individuals didn't go into THAT great of detail. When Jesus said to baptize people in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, that was FOR Gentiles (non-Jews). The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ ONLY in Acts 2 was for Jews who were acknowledging the fact that THEY crucified their Messiah. Quite simple really. I will not baptize in the name of Jesus Christ, because I am not baptizing Jews after preaching a national consecration message. I baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost because the people have accepted Christ as their Savior from ALL NATIONS (Matthew 28:19).

Well, I just don't see why baptizing in titles is what was to be. I would think you use the name of Jesus for prayer, healing, blessing, but for baptism, you don't. I just don't get it.

jandl
Aug 3rd 2011, 04:09 AM
Well, I just don't see why baptizing in titles is what was to be. I would think you use the name of Jesus for prayer, healing, blessing, but for baptism, you don't. I just don't get it.When you pray, you are to pray in the name of the Lord, which of course is Jesus Christ. You are praying IN the spirit (Holy Spirit) TO the Father (God), THROUGH Jesus Christ. Healing? Perhaps some clarification as to what you mean would be most helpful. Sounds to me like you have some Charismatic Pentecostal background, which could greatly hinder your understanding of the truth. Blessing? Clarify! Jesus is the name of the SON, NOT the name of the Father. His name is "I AM." The Holy Spirit's name is the COMFORTER.