PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible study - Isaiah (2)

Frances
Aug 7th 2011, 04:34 PM
Isaiah (2)

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Isaiah was a prophet of the southern kingdom of Judah, at the time the northern kingdom, Israel, was destroyed by the Assyrians. . . we may tentatively place his active ministry at about 745 – 695 BC.”

Isaiah 1

What does the text say? – Isaiah had Visions of God during the reigns of Uzziah, Jothan, Ahaz, and Hezekiah in Judah. God said the Israelites had rebelled against Him, forsaken Him and provoked His anger, but He had allowed a small remnant to remain in the land. God asked what the purposes of their sacrifices was, saying they gave Him no pleasure at all. He told the people to stop taking meaningless gifts to Him as they are sinful, a burden to Him, not a pleasure. God said He would not listen to their prayers, for their sins were many, the people must stop doing evil and learn to do good. Eg. seek justice, help the oppressed, defend the fatherless and plead for widows. The Lord said that though the people’s sins were scarlet He would wash them as white as wool. If His people obeyed Him they’d have plenty to eat, but if they rebelled against Him they’d die in battle. Jerusalem had become an evil place but the Lord of Heaven’s armies would turn against them, would remove all impurities and give good counsellors and wise judges and those who repented would be righteous, but sinners will be completely destroyed.

Application? – Am I fully aware of the Holiness of God, or do I regard Him as an amiable ‘Father Christmas’? Does my ‘worship’ of God come from my heart or does He regard it as meaningless? Could what I ‘do for God’ be a burden to Him? Does God pay as much attention to my prayers as I do to Him? Would I be wise to repent? Do I obey God or rebel against Him while give the outward appearance of being a ‘good Christian’? Do I go to Christian meetings mainly to meet with God or other people?

Frances
Aug 9th 2011, 04:10 PM
Isaiah 2

What does the text say? – Isaiah’s Vision concerning Judah and Jerusalem was that in future the hill the Temple stands on will be the highest mountain on the earth, and people from many nations will go there to learn of the Lord; He will mediate between nations and settle international disputes and there will be no more war (the opposite of Joel 3:10). The descendants of Jacob were rejected by the Lord because of their evil practices and alliances. Although their land is full of good things, it is also full of idols the people have made for themselves which they bow down and worship, so they will be humbled. Only the Lord will be exalted on the day of Judgement; He will punish, and bring low, everyone and everything prestigious. He will break down mighty trees and level the hills and mountains, every tower and wall, all the trading ships, human pride and arrogance and only the Lord will be exalted on Judgement day. Idols will completely disappear when the Lord shakes the earth and people hide from the terror of the Lord and His Glorious Majesty; they will leave their idols and abandon their gold and silver idols, and try to escape the terror of the Lord. Don’t put your trust in mere humans, they are as frail as a breath.

Application? – Do I spend time with the Lord both alone and with other people who also want to learn more of Him? Does the Lord reject me because of my ungodly practices and alliances? Is anything, or anyone, my idol taking the Lord’s place in my life? Do I humble myself before the Lord? Could tsunamis, volcanoes, tornados and hurricanes be signs of the Lord’s Anger and coming Judgement?

Frances
Aug 10th 2011, 04:16 PM
Isaiah 3+4

What does the text say? – The Lord will remove everything Judah and Jerusalem depend on; all the bread and water, the heroes and soldiers, judges and prophets, diviners and elders, army officers and high officials, advisors, skilled craftsmen and astrologers. He will make boys their leaders and toddlers their rulers. People will oppress each other. Young people will insult their elders. No one will want to rule the ruins of the once-proud land. Judah will fall because the people refuse to obey the Lord and don’t even try to hide their Sin. The wicked are doomed but the Godly will receive the riches of the wealthy. The men will be killed and the women live in poverty, there will be 7 times more women than men left alive. Those who have survived those times of Judgement will be holy and the Lord will wash the filth away, leaving everything beautiful – then He will protect His people

Application? – Do I oppress anyone? Could difficulties I face be a result of disobedience to the Lord? Does the bad behaviour of many of the youth today be a result of the nation disregarding God? Does ‘the Branch of the Lord’ refer to Jesus Christ?

Frances
Aug 11th 2011, 04:18 PM
Isaiah 5[/I
]
[I]What does the text say? – Isaiah’s song about Israel, God’s vineyard, planted on a rich fertile hill. God ploughed the land, cleared the stones and planted the best vines, He built a watch-tower in the middle, and carved a winepress in the rock. When the grapes were harvested they were not sweet but bitter – what more could He have done? He would leave His vineyard untended, having no rain, and be left for the wild animals. The people of Judah are those vines. The Lord had expected a crop of justice but found oppression, He expected righteousness but heard cries of violence. No one considers the Lord or what He wants, therefore they will go into captivity, those who are now honoured will starve and the majority will die of thirst. Woe to those who mock God, who say evil is good and good is evil. What sorrow will come for those who are wise in their own eyes but who God considers foolish as they despise the Lord and reject His Law. Now He will crush them with nations from far away.

Application? – Do I represent a wild or cultivated grapevine? Is the fruit I produce for the Lord sweet or bitter? Do I do what the Lord wants? Do I ever mock God by saying what is evil is good, or what is good, evil? Do I reject God’s Law?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “The vast estates of the rich, accumulated by robbing the poor, would soon be waste-land . . . Invading nations – Assyria in Isaiah’s time; Babylonians 100 years later destroyed Jerusalem; and Romans in AD70 who struck the death-blow to Jewish national existence.”

Frances
Aug 12th 2011, 03:49 PM
Isaiah 6

What does the text say? –_In the year that king Uzziah died Isaiah had a Vision of the Lord on a throne in the Temple ‘high and lifted up’, with seraphim flying above, all crying ‘Holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts, the whole earth is filled with His Glory’. Their voices shook the Temple and the whole building was filled with smoke. Then Isaiah confessed how sinful he, and the people he lived among, were; then one of the seraphim took a burning coal from the altar, touched his lips with it, and told him his Sins were Forgiven and guilt removed. Then he heard the Lord saying “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then Isaiah said “Here am I. Send me.” Isaiah was sent to tell the people the Lord’s Message – they would listen but not understand as their hearts would be hardened so they would not turn back to Him; Isaiah asked how long for and the Lord replied that He was removing nine tenths of the people from the land.

Application? – Have I acknowledged my Sinfulness? Do I trust Jesus Christ to be my Saviour? I will not be useful to the Lord until He has cleansed me. Am I willing to go wherever the Lord sends me? Am I willing to be disbelieved and ignored by the Lord’s people?

Quote:- (David Pawson)- “Uzziah (792-740BC) was a good king to begin with and had a long reign of 52years. But in the last years he became a bad king . . . and died of leprosy. “

Frances
Aug 13th 2011, 04:21 PM
Isaiah 7

What does the text say? – Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The occasion of this prophecy was the invasion of Judah by the kings of Syria and Israel. They attacked Judah separately (2Chronicals 28:5-6), then conjointly (2 Kings 16:5). Their object was to displace Ahaz with another king. Ahaz appealed to the king of Assyria for help (2 Kings 16:7). The king of Assyria responded with an invasion of Syria and North Israel, and carried their people away into captivity (2 Kings 15:29; 16:9). This was the Galilee captivity (734BC). In the early part of this Syro/Israelite attack on Jerusalem Isaiah ventured to assure Ahaz that the attack would fail, Syria and Israel be destroyed, and Judah be saved. The 65 years is thought to cover the period from the first deportation of Israel (734BC), to the settlement of foreigners in the land by Esar-haddon about 670BC (2 Kings 17:24, Ezra 4:2). The “Virgin” and her son “Immanuel” is spoken of as a sign intended to give assurance to sceptical Ahaz of speedy deliverance. The virgin is not named but the reference is to something very unusual . . . that was to happen forthwith in David’s family. It is a case of blending pictures in near and far horizons, as is so frequent in the prophets".

Isaiah 8,

What does the text say? – Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)” In connection with the Syro-Israel invasion of Judah 3 children are mentioned: one in the family of David, “Immanuel” (7:13-14); and two in Isaiah’s own family, “Shear-jashub” (7:3) and “Maher-shal-hash-baz” (8:1-4). Shear-jashub means ‘a remnant shall return’. A hundred years before it came to pass, the Baylonian captivity of Judah envisions a remnant and it’s glorious future, is the main theme of Isaiah’s book. “Maher-shal-hash-baz’ means ‘the spoil speeds, the prey hastens’, that is Syria and Israel shall speedily be despoiled . . . it promptly occurred . The victorious Assyrians swept on into Judah and were stopped by direct intervention of God (37:36). Thus names of Isaiah’s sons embodied ideas of his daily preaching – Present deliverance, Coming captivity, and Future glory”.

Frances
Aug 14th 2011, 02:26 PM
Isaiah 9

What does the text say? – One day the people of Galilee who live in darkness will see a great light when a Child is born and God’s Son is given to the people (1st Coming), His Government will increase and have no end (2nd Coming) and His Name will be Called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace(Trinity). Because the people of Israel continue to ignore God they will be attacked by the Syrians and Philistines, and the Lord will have no mercy for them, but will still be angry because the people will not repent and turn to Him. He will destroy the leaders and false prophets who have misled the people, and those people left will starve.

Application? – Do I repent and turn to the Lord when I have displeased Him?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Most of Israel were carried away in 734 BC; but Samaria held out till 721 BC. These lines seem to belong to the 13 intervening years when the people who were left still persevered in their defiance of both God and the Assyrians.”

Frances
Aug 15th 2011, 04:15 PM
Isaiah 10

What does the text say? – God is angry with those who pass unfair laws that deprive the poor of justice, He will send disaster from a distant land and no one will help His people; they will either be prisoners or dead. God will use the Assyrians to express His anger against His people, but the king of Assyria won’t know he is just God’s tool, his plan is simply to destroy. After the Lord has used the king of Assyria to punish His people He will send a plague among the Assyrian army, He will be a fire and burn them up in a single night. At that time the remnant left in Israel will no longer depend on other people but will faithfully trust the Lord, the Holy One of Israel. Only a few of Jacob’s descendants will remain as the Lord has decided to destroy the land. The Lord says to His people “Do not be afraid when you are oppressed by the Assyrians, for in a little while I will destroy them” Then Lebanon will fall to the Mighty One.

Application? – Am I responsible for depriving anyone of justice? Do I depend on other people or on the Lord? Am I faithful to the Lord in every way?

Quote;-(Henry H. Halley) “This was written after the fall of Samaria . . .the cities named were just north of Jerusalem. God had used the Assyrians to punish Israel but here cautions them against over-estimating their power and Promises them a humiliating defeat. A year after he had destroyed Samaria Sargon invaded Judah (720 BC) Again (713 BC) he invaded Judah, Philistia, Edom and Moab. And again (701 BC) a vast army of Assyrians come into the land, at which time God made good His Promise, and dealt the Assyrians such a sudden and violent blow that they came no more against Jerusalem. (37:36)".

Frances
Aug 16th 2011, 03:58 PM
Isaiah 11+12

What does the text say? – From the descendants of David will come a Spirit-filled man. He will be filled with the Spirit of Wisdom and Understanding, the Spirit of Council and Might, the Spirit of Knowledge and fear of the Lord. He will delight in obeying the Lord. He will give Justice to the poor, and make fair decisions for the exploited. The earth will shake at the force of His Word, and one breath from His mouth will destroy the wicked. He will wear righteousness like a belt, and truth and faithfulness as His underclothes. In that day the wild carnivores will not attack other animals, but will eat herbage too and be led by a young child, and a baby will be safe by a cobra’s nest. Nothing will hurt or destroy, for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord as the water cover the sea, and the Gentiles will seek Him. Then the remnant of the Lord’s people will come back to their home-land from all other nations. The jealousy between Israel and Judah will end and the Lord will make a highway for His people to come home. Then Isaiah sang a song praising the Lord for that time that will surely come.

Application? – Do I delight in obeying the Lord? Are my decisions fair and just? Am I know for my integrity? For many years now Jews have been returning to Israel from every nation. Will the peace between all forms of life be on earth or only in heaven?

Frances
Aug 17th 2011, 04:23 PM
Isaiah 13+14

What does the text say? – Concerning the destruction of Babylon – the Lord has dedicated soldiers who will rejoice when He is exalted by expressing His Anger by attacking Babylon. Vast armies will march against Babylon, will kill sinners and make the land desolate. The Lord will punish the world for it’s evil, crush the arrogance of the proud and humble the tyrants. People will be rarer than fine gold. Everyone will return to their own land, all those captured will be killed. Babylon will be devastated like Sodom and Gomorra, and will remain empty for many generations (or for ever). Only birds and animals will live there. The Lord will have mercy on His people and bring them back to their own land. Then Israel will rejoice over the destruction of the Babylonians. He will break the Assyrians in His land and trample them underfoot. No one can change the Lord’s plans. The year king Ahaz died Isaiah’s message was that the Philistines must not rejoice over Babylon’s demise as from that stock a more poisonous destroyer would come from the North, and destroy them.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) – In Isaiah’s time Babylon was a dependency of Assyria. Babylon rose to world power in 606 BC and fell 536 BC. Thus Isaiah sang of the fall of Babylon 100 years before it’s rise. . . the splendour to which Babylon rose 100 years after Isaiah’s day “the glory of kingdoms”(13:19), “the city of gold”(14:4) is as clearly envisioned as though Isaiah was there. . . . Medes, who in Isaiah’s day were an almost unknown people, are named as Babylon’s destroyer. (13:17-19); and Babylon shall pass away for ever (13:19-22, 14:22-23). For fulfilment of this prediction see 2 Kings 25. The fall of Babylon would mean the release of the captives (14:1-4). Within one year after Babylon fell, Cyrus, the Medo-Persian king issued a decree for the return of the Jews to their homeland (Ezra1:1).

Frances
Aug 18th 2011, 03:51 PM
Isaiah 15+16

What does the text say? – Isaiah’s message concerning Moab:- In one night the town of Ar and city of Kir will be destroyed then the people of Heshbon, Elealah, and as far as Jahaz will be afraid and flee, and the their brave warriors will be helpless with terror. Lions will hunt for the survivors – those who try to escape and those who remain. When their oppression and destruction has ended then God will put one of David’s descendants on the throne to rule with mercy and truth. Before all this happens the people of Moab will worship at their pagan shrines which will do them no good, for the Lord has decreed that within 3 years Moab will be defeated and only a few of it’s great population will be left alive.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Moab was a rolling plateaux of rich pasture lands lying east of the Dead Sea. Moabites were descendants of Lot (Gen. 19:17) . . . the cities named were pillaged by Tiglath-pileser (734 BC) by Sargon (713 BC) and by Sennacherib (701 BC) it is not indicated to which of these Isaiah refers. . . . The Moabites had a hand in the founding of the House of David in the person of Ruth.”

Frances
Aug 19th 2011, 05:27 PM
Isaiah 17+18

What does the text say? – Isaiah prophesied that Damascus would become a heap of ruins and the towns of Aroer would be deserted. The fortified towns of Israel would also be destroyed, and the land would be deserted, with only a few people left. Only then would the people turn back to their Creator, instead of worshipping at pagan altars and the idols they had made. The finest vines may be planted, and the most expensive seeds sown but the harvest will only be grief and unrelieved pain. Those who seek to benefit from Israel’s distress will be destroyed. Ethiopia, that sends ambassadors down the Nile, who are feared because of their conquests and destruction, will be attacked by the Lord and their mighty army will perish. Then the Ethiopians will bring gifts to Jerusalem, where the Lord of Heaven’s armies dwells.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Ethiopia was South Egypt, whose powerful king at that time had sway all over Egypt. This is not a prophecy of doom; but seems to refer to the excitement and call to arms among the Ethiopians at the advance of Sennacherib’s army into Judah, whose fall would leave open the gateway for the Assyrian march into Egypt (1-3) the miraculous deliverance of Jerusalem (4-6; 37:36) and Ethiopia’s message of gratitude for the destruction of the Assyrian army (7, 2 Chronicles32:23).” (?)

Frances
Aug 20th 2011, 04:00 PM
Isaiah 20, 21 & 22

What does the text say? – At the time that the king of Assyria’s army commander fought against Ashod the Lord told Isaiah to walk barefoot and naked prophesying against Egypt and Ethiopia, which he did for 3 years, demonstrating that Assyria would conquer them and take them away barefoot and naked – then the Israelites would know those they relied on for help against the Assyrians could not help them. Isaiah’s prophesy against Babylon was that disaster was coming to them from the Negev to make an end to all the misery Babylon had caused; when they were feasting they would be attacked, conquered and their idols be destroyed. Isaiah prophesied against Edom and Arabia, then His message to the people of Jerusalem was that bodies of those who had died of famine and disease would be lying everywhere, their leaders would flee and the people be captured in a day of defeat, confusion and terror, yet no one asked the Lord for help. Long before this the Lord had told His people to repent of disregarding Him, but they did not, so He would never forgive them. The Lord told Isaiah to confront Shebna the palace administrator, and tell him he would not be buried in the expensive tomb he had prepared, as he would die far away and be replaced by Eliakim, Hilkiah’s son; doors he opened would not be shut, and doors he shut would not be opened, but one day he would fall too.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Isaiah’s warning (713 BC) of their defeat and captivity, was intended to discourage Judah from looking to Egypt for aid against Assyria. The prediction was fulfilled 12 years later (701 BC). . . Babylon, surrounded by a vast system of dykes and canals was like a city in the sea. . . Jerusalem is rebuked for reckless indulgence while besieged by the Assyrian army, their defence (9-11; 2 Chronicles 32:3-5) included everything except turning to God. . . In the elevation of Eliakim to office may be hints of Messianic implication.

Frances
Aug 21st 2011, 04:14 PM
Isaiah 19

What does the text say? – The prophecy concerning Egypt. The Lord will make the Egyptians fight each other, He will confuse their plans, none of their idols, mediums and spirits will not help them. Egypt will be handed over to a cruel nation. The Nile will not flood but dry up – there will be no flax or fish. Pharaoh will receive unwise counsel and his officials will be deluded fools because the Lord has sent a spirit of foolishness on them. The Egyptians will cower with fear beneath the fist of the Lord of Heaven’s armies. At that time 5 Egyptian cities will follow the Lord and even begin to speak Hebrew. At that time there will be an altar to the Lord in the heart of Egypt and a monument to Him at it’s border. When the people cry out to the Lord He will send them a Saviour. In that day Egypt and Assyria will both worship God and Israel will be their ally and be a blessing to them and the Lord will claim all 3 of them.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Shortly after Isaiah’s death Esar-haddon subdued Egypt and split it into a number of petty governments, whose main duty was to ‘slay, plunder and spoil’ their subjects. The decline and disintegration of Egypt came to pass (Jer. 46; Ezekiel 29). . . After the Captivity many Jews remained in the Euphrates valley, and great numbers of them settled in Egypt, Alexandria was predominantly a Jewish city. There the Septuagint translation of the Old Testament was made. At Heliopalis, city of ‘the sun’, a temple modelled after that in Jerusalem was erected (149 BC), a centre of worship for both Egyptians and Jews. At the time of Christ’s appearance the Hebrew nation was composed of 3 main sections, with connecting highways – Palestinian, Egyptian and Mesopotamian – making Egypt a sort of three-fold nation. These regions were among the first to accept Christianity. Thus this chapter is a very accurate pre-charting of . . .Israel’s history for the following 600 years.

Frances
Aug 22nd 2011, 04:22 PM
Isaiah 23,24 &25

What does the text say? – Isaiah prophesies that Tyre will be destroyed, including the ships of Tarshish and the land will be left virtually uninhabited for 70 years, but the people will still not return to the Lord. The money made in the future will be given to the Lord’s people. The whole earth will suffer for the Sins of it’s people, for they have twisted God’s instructions, violated His Laws and broken His Everlasting Covenant. Only a few people will be left but they will worship the Lord and Glorify Him singing His praises, and He will rule. Isaiah says he will praise and honour God’s Name for He has all Power and is a tower of Strength to the poor, and a tower of Refuge to those in distress. The Lord God will swallow death, wipe away all tears, and stop His people being insulted and mocked, then they will rejoice in His Salvation and His Blessing will be on Jerusalem.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Tyre had been for centuries the maritime centre of the world’s commerce. . . it’s overthrow, depression for 70 years and restoration are here predicted.
This Vision (24) seems to relate to the same period that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 24. It delineates the fearful calamities under which the earth, with it’s castes, occupations, and social distinctions, shall pass away.
Isaiah saw . . beyond the crash of the world, into the age of the new heavens and new earth, and put into the mouth of the Redeemed a song of praise to God for His wonderful works. Most wonderful of all is the destruction of Death . . . this cannot refer to anything else than the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead, and brought to mankind the guarantee of Eternal Life.”

Frances
Aug 23rd 2011, 03:52 PM
Isaiah 26+27

What does the text say? – In that day a song of Salvation will be sung proclaiming those faithful to the Lord will be kept in perfect peace, they those who do not allow their imagination to stray from Him because they trust Him. He is the Rock of Ages. He humbles the proud and brings down the arrogant. For those who are righteous the way is not steep and rough, for He smoothes their path. The Lord’s people show their trust in Him by obeying Him. Even though the Lord is Gracious and Merciful some folk will always be opposed to Him. The Lord will grant His people Peace. All the good we accomplish is the Lord working through us. Others have ruled over us, but we worship the Lord who has made our nation great. Those who die trusting the Lord for Salvation will Live; they will rise again and sing for joy. When the Lord’s anger has passed He will come from Heaven to punish all people for their Sins. In that day the Lord will kill leviathan, the dragon, He will care for His ‘vineyard’, He will burn all ‘briars and thorns’ unless they return to Him and make peace with Him. Israel will fill the whole world with fruit. The Lord only exiled Israel to purge her wickedness regarding worshipping other gods. Yet a time will come when the Lord will gather His people one by one.

Application? – Do I ever doubt that God’s Way is best? Am I ever proud or arrogant? However difficult life may seem do I know the Lord makes it much easier than it would have been if He was not my Lord. Do I always obey the Lord? Does my life Glorify the Lord? Do I experience the Lord’s Peace? Do I allow the Lord to work through me? Do I worship Him in the way He wants? Does the Lord regard me as good fruit or a harmful weed? Do I turn to the Lord in repentance?

Frances
Aug 24th 2011, 04:26 PM
Isaiah 28

What does the text say? – Isaiah prophesied that sorrow awaited Samaria, the crown of the drunks of Israel, it’s beauty will fade like a flower, it will be destroyed by wine. An army will be sent by the Lord that will smash the city of drunks. Then the Lord will be worshipped by the remainder of His people, He will give courage to His appointed leaders and warriors. In the meantime the drunken priests and prophets wonder why the Lord speaks to them as though they were small children; one day He will speak through their conquerors because they will not heed what He says, so they will be injured, trapped and captured. Listen people of Jerusalem, you may think your lies and deception will protect you but the Lord says He will test you with the plumb-line of justice and righteousness. You will be trampled into the ground by a constant flood of warriors. The Lord will come and crush the whole land. Pay close attention, the Lord of Heaven’s armies will teach you wisdom, in the same way as He has taught farmers what to do and how to do it.

Application? – Do I drink too much alcohol? Do I apply the Lord’s Word to my life, or read His Word assuming it does not apply to me? Have I been injured, trapped, and captured by my Sins? Do I heed the still, small Voice of the Lord?

Frances
Aug 25th 2011, 04:05 PM
Isaiah 29

What does the text say? – Sorrow awaits the city of David for it will become an altar covered with blood; for I, God, will be your enemy and lay a siege and destroy it. Yet your ruthless physical enemy will be crushed. Don’t you believe Me? You are blind and stupid, not as a result of alcohol but because the Lord has poured on you a spirit of sleep – the prophets have no Vision of future events. The Lord says ‘these people honour Me with their mouths but their hearts are far from Me, and their worship of Me is nothing but man-made rules learned by rote; because of this I will astound these hypocrites with amazing wonders. The wisdom of the wise will pass away and the intelligence of the intelligent will disappear. Sorrow awaits those who try to hide their plans from the Lord, thinking He doesn’t know what they do. The Lord is the ‘Potter’ and much greater than the human ‘clay’ in His Hand. One day soon the deaf will hear and the blind will see, the humble will be filled with joy from the Lord and the poor will rejoice in Him, the scoffers and arrogant people will disappear and those who plot evil and give false testimony, perverting justice, will disappear. The Lord’s people will recognise the Holy One of Israel, stand in awe of Him and follow His Ways.

Application? – Do I do and say ‘Christian things’ so I appear to worship the Lord, but have no love for Him in my heart? Is my ‘worship’ no more than a litany learned by rote? Do I consult the Lord before making any plans and heed His advise? Am I willing to change my plans to please the Lord? Do I allow the Lord to mould me in the way He desires, or do I resist Him? Do I stand in awe of the Lord and follow His Ways?

Frances
Aug 26th 2011, 04:10 PM
Isaiah 30

What does the text say? – The Lord says that sorrow awaits His rebellious people who oppose His plans for them, and make alliances not directed by His Spirit, adding to their Sins. Because they trust Pharaoh they will be humbled and disgraced. Concerning the Negev – Egypt will give no protection even though you suffer hardship to pay them to protect you, Egypt’s promises are worthless. The Lord’s people refuse to pay attention to His Instructions, they will only listen to what they want to hear and not about God and His Ways. The Holy One of Israel says that because His people despise what He says calamity will come suddenly and they will be smashed, like a shattered pot. Only by returning to the Lord God, and resting in Him, will they be saved and gain strength in quietness and confidence in Him. Until then your enemies will chase you and you will be left like a dead tree on a hill. The Lord will only show His compassion, faithfulness and Love when you come to Him. Blessed are those who wait for His help. The people who live in Jerusalem will be helped by the Lord if they ask for His help, for though He allows them to suffer He wants to teach them His Way. When you return to Him He will hear His people and Heal the wounds He has given them, but His anger burns hot, like fire from a volcano, against His enemies.

Application? – Do I make plans not directed by God’s Spirit? Do I trust what money can buy for my protection? Do I pay attention to the Lord’s Instructions? Do I ignore His plans then wonder why I have troubles? Would I be wise to put all my confidence in the Lord and spend time quietly with Him each day? Do I ask the Lord for His help then endeavour to be faithful to Him until that help arrives?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “ It came to pass 100 years later through Babylon, Very shortly the Assyrian army was routed and within a 100 years the Assyrian Empire destroyed.

Frances
Aug 27th 2011, 04:22 PM
Isaiah 31+32

What does the text say? – Arrows await those who rely on Egypt instead of the Holy One for help, for He will send disaster on them. The Lord of Heaven’s army will fight at Mount Zion and hover over Jerusalem to protect it, like a bird protecting it’s nest, He will save the city and rescue it. Return to the Lord and throw away your idols, when you do the Assyrians will fall against the Sword of the Lord God. A righteous king is coming and honest princes will rule under him. then everyone will recognise the truth and will be full of understanding. At that time ungodly fools will not be regarded as heroes or respected when they spread false teaching about the Lord. You lazy idle women will be troubled in a little over a year when the grape harvest fails and the land grow only thorns and thistles, your happy homes and towns will be gone, the palace and city will be deserted, wild donkeys and sheep will graze in the empty forts until the Holy Spirit is poured out on us again and the wilderness becomes fruitful field; then justice and righteousness will rule. The result of righteousness will be quietness, assurance and peace forever and the Lord’s people will be secure.

Application? – Do I rely on the Lord or other people to help and protect me? Do I ever disregard the Lord and His Word? Do I pray for an out-pouring of the Holy Spirit? Do I enjoy the assurance of security in the Lord?

Frances
Aug 28th 2011, 04:37 PM
Isaiah 33

What does the text say? – Sorrow awaits the Assyrians because they are treacherous with those who do not deal treacherously with them, one day they will be treated in the way they treat others. O Lord be Gracious to us and Save us, for You alone are able to. The Lord fills Zion with justice and righteousness. As we demonstrate out trust in Him He will give us wisdom, knowledge and stability. At the moment we have no security on the highways. The Assyrians have broken the Peace Treaty; Israel is in mourning, the land has been plundered, but the Lord will destroy them. The sinners in Zion are afraid of the Power of God, but those who are honest, who refuse to profit by fraud or bribes, who refuse to listen to those who plot murder, who have nothing to do with any wrong-doing, have nothing to fear. They will see the King and the far land. They will see Jerusalem, where the Lord is. He will Save us. The people who dwell with Him will be forgiven sins.

Application? – Do I ever say one thing and do another? Does my life demonstrate trust in the Lord? Do I ever break a promise? Am I honest? Do I do anything under-handed? Am I afraid of the Power of God? Have I accepted His offer of Salvation?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Chapters 28-33 belong to the terrifying days of the Assyrian siege of Jerusalem, as told in 36 and 37. Sennacherib’s army was pillaging cities and ravaging the countryside (8+9) The people were panic-stricken (13+14). Through it all Isaiah goes about calmly assuring the people that God will smite the enemy with terror, and they shall flee leaving vast loot (3+4); God, Himself, protecting Jerusalem like an encircling stream on which the enemy’s disintegrating ships go down (21-13 See chapters 36,37).”

Frances
Aug 29th 2011, 04:10 PM
Isaiah 34+35

What does the text say? – The Lord is enraged against the nations and will show His fury by destroying their armies. The heavens will be rolled up like a scroll and the stars fall from the sky, just like withered leaves fall from the vines. The sword of the Lord will fall on Edom paying them back for all they have done to Israel, and that Judgement will never end; the land will be deserted for ever, except for wild animals, reptiles and birds. The desert will become as green as the mountains of Lebanon and Carmel, for there the Lord will show His Greatness. Strengthen your weak hands and feeble knees and don’t be fearful for your God is coming to destroy your enemies and Save you, and when He comes He will open blind eyes and deaf ears and the lame will leap like deer and the dumb will sing. Then springs will flow in the wilderness and streams in the desert so the parched ground will become a pool. There will be a Highway of Holiness only for those who are redeemed and obey God, there will be no danger there. The Redeemed of the Lord will come with singing to Zion, sorrow and mourning will flee away.

Application? – have I ever said or done anything against Israel and therefore incurred the God’s wrath? Have I accepted His offer of Redemption through Jesus Christ? The Lord is always willing to strengthen me and fill me with peace instead of fear. Do I travel on the Highway of Holiness?

Frances
Aug 30th 2011, 05:07 PM
Isaiah 36

What does the text say? – In the 14th year of Hezekiah’s reign king Sennacherib of Assyria attacked the fortified towns (cities)of Judah and conquered them, then he sent his chief of staff from Lachish to Jerusalem with a great army to persuade the people to surrender. When he arrived Hezekiah sent his court secretary, palace administrator and royal historian out to meet them. They begged the Assyrian to speak in Aramaic instead of Hebrew so the people on the wall wouldn’t know what they said; but he shouted instead, ensuring they heard him say that Hezekiah deceived them by saying the Lord would save them, because the Lord had sent the Assyrians to conquer and destroy the land, so He would certainly not save them. He said the king of Assyria offered peace if they would open the gates and surrender, then they would stay at home until they were taken to another land to live, he pointed out that no god had yet saved their people from Sennacherib’s power. The people on the wall were as silent as Hezekiah had told them to be.

Application? – do I trust anyone who says ‘the Lord said’ if what they say contradicts what I know of Him from His Word? Do I ensure I know what God’s Word says of Him, or only what other people have told me? Do I allow myself to be intimidated by physical strength or do I trust the infinitely greater Power of God? Do I obey Godly leaders?

Frances
Aug 31st 2011, 04:32 PM
Isaiah 37

What does the text say? – When king Hezekiah heard what the Assyrian said he tore his clothes, put on sack-cloth and went to the house of God, then sent messengers to Isaiah the prophet to ask him to pray for the people’s survival. Isaiah told them to tell Hezekiah not to be afraid of what the Assyrian had said against Him, for He would arrange for Sennacherib to hear a rumour and return to his own land and there be killed. The messenger the king of Assyria sent returned to the king and sent a letter to Hezekiah saying he must not let his God deceive him, as no god could stand against Assyrian might. Hezekiah laid the letter before the Lord and prayed, acknowledging that He, alone, was able to save them. Then Isaiah sent a message to Hezekiah that the Lord would allow a remnant in Judah to live and grow strong, for He would defend the city for His own, and David’s sake. Then the Angel of the Lord killed 85,000 of the Assyrian army overnight, so Sennacherib returned home to Nineveh; as he was worshipping his god Nisrock 2 of his sons killed him and escaped, then another of his sons, Esarhaddon became king.

Application? – Do I continue to trust God to save me, even though powerful people think my trust in Him is laughable?

Frances
Sep 1st 2011, 04:04 PM
Isaiah 38+39

What does the text say? – When Hezekiah was sick and near death Isaiah, the prophet, told him to put his affairs in order because he would soon die. Hezekiah was distressed, and prayed to God. Then Isaiah returned to say that God had added 15 years to Hezekiah’s life, and would prove it by making the shadow on the sun-dial go backwards 10 degrees. When Hezekiah had recovered he wrote his thoughts at the time of his illness down; he acknowledged that the Lord’s discipline is good as it leads to life and health that, as He had allowed Hezekiah to live and had Forgiven his sins, he would always praise Him. At that time the king of Babylon sent Hezekiah presents. He was so pleased with them that he showed the messengers all his treasures and possessions throughout his kingdom. When Isaiah discovered Hezekiah had shown the Babylonians all his possessions Isaiah said that after Hezekiah was dead the Babylonians would come and take everything, and some of his sons who they would make eunuchs, back to Babylon. Hezekiah was content that there would be peace in his lifetime.

Application? – are all my affairs in order if I was to die today? Eg. have I made a legal Will? Do I recognise the benefits of the Lord’s discipline? Have I fulfilled God’s conditions (to trust Jesus Christ death on my behalf, and His resurrection) for the Forgiveness of my Sins? Am I too open, or sensibly cautious, when telling others of my affairs? Am I only concerned with my own comfort?

Frances
Sep 2nd 2011, 04:09 PM
Isaiah 40

What does the text say? – Jerusalem’s warfare is ended, her iniquity is pardoned, for the Lord has finished punishing her for her Sins. Clear the way through the wilderness for the Lord, make a highway through the desert for our God. Fill in the valleys, level the mountains and hills, straighten the curves and smooth the rough places, then the Glory of the Lord will be revealed. People are like plants in the way their beauty fades and they wither beneath the Breath of the Lord, but His Word stands forever. He is coming in Power and will rule His people gently and tenderly. No one can compare with the Lord. Haven’t you heard? Haven’t you understood? The Lord God has no equal, He is the Holy One, the Creator of all things, He never grows tired or weary, no one can measure the depth of His understanding. The Lord gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Those who trust in the Lord will find new strength, they will soar like eagles, they will run and not get weary, they will walk and not faint.

Application? – Do I clear the way for the Lord in the minds of those who don’t yet know Him? Do I ensure they know the full Gospel – not a watered down version? Do I allow the Holy One to rule over my thoughts and actions? The Lord will give me the strength I need for every situation I will meet throughout my life.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) – “The advent of Christ is the subject of 1-11, verses 3-5 are quoted in all 4 Gospels as referring to His arrival on earth . . . mentions in this connection, of God’s Word as eternally impregnable(6-8) means that God’s prophetic Promises cannot fail; Christ and heaven are sure.“

Frances
Sep 3rd 2011, 04:51 PM
Isaiah 41

What does the text say? – Isaiah said that in future the Lord will call a king from the east, who recognises His Power, to conquer the nations. Many idols will be made as people seek protection from him. Israel, the descendants of Jacob, are servants of the Lord so He says to them “ Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right Hand”. He said all those who fight against His people will perish, so they must not be afraid for He will redeem them. The Lord will make His people like a threshing sledge with sharp teeth, and they will rejoice in Him, the Holy One of Israel. When the poor and needy search for water in the desert the Lord will provide it, and plant trees in the barren wilderness. The Lord God has Called one from the north, to come from the east, to conquer those who worship idols.

Application? – Am I fully aware of the Lord’s Power? Have I created any idols for myself (anything that takes the place in my life that rightfully belongs to the Lord God). Is my faith in God stronger than my fear of what might (but probably won’t) happen? Do I allow the Lord to use me like a threshing sledge with sharp teeth? Do I rejoice in the Power of the Holy One of Israel?

Quote- (Henry H. Halley)”Cyrus is not named here, but is in 44:28 and 45:1, unmistakably is the one from the east, and the one from the north. (armies from the east always entered Israel from the north). Isaiah died 150 years before the days of Cyrus, yet here is given a vision of his rapid conquest of the world.”

Frances
Sep 4th 2011, 04:27 PM
Isaiah 42

What does the text say? – The Lord said His people must look at His Servant, His chosen One, whom He will strengthen with His Spirit. He will quietly bring justice to all people, He will not fail or lose heart, He will demonstrate God’s Justice. The Lord God will guard Him and give Him to His people, Israel; a symbol of His Covenant with them, and a light to guide the gentiles. He will open blind eyes, set captives free, and release those in despair. He will not give His Glory to anyone or anything else. So sing a new song to the Lord and Glorify Him, He will crush all His enemies, He will brighten the darkness for His people, and smooth the road they travel. The Lord God will not forsake them, but all who worship idols will be ashamed. You know what is right but don’t do it, so the Lord has allowed His people to be robbed and hurt because they don’t obey Him, nor have they learned their lesson.

Application? – Do I obey the Lord in every way? Have I learned that even what I consider the smallest possible Sin separates me from God, but Jesus Christ has made a way back to Him for me though repentance and faith?

Frances
Sep 5th 2011, 04:07 PM
Isaiah 43

What does the text say? – The Lord, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour wants those He has Redeemed to remember they belong to Him. They have nothing to fear and He will always be with them whatever happens, and one day He will bring His people back to the land He has given them. The Lord is the only Saviour, He was the only God before time began, and will still be when it is no more. The Lord will protect His obedient people from all who fight against them. What is past is past, now He will do a new thing – make a road in the wilderness and springs in the desert. But His people have not prayed to Him, they have neglected Him; although He has not wearied them with demands they don’t honour Him, but have wearied Him with all their faults and Sins. Yet He is willing to Forgive and Forget their Sins if they can prove their innocence; however they have Sinned from the beginning, so He has decreed their destruction and shame.

Application? – Do I always remember I have nothing to fear because I belong to Jesus Christ? Do I realise He will always be with me? Is my place in heaven with Him secure by my determination to obey Him? Am I willing to follow Him into each wilderness and desert that confronts me? Do I neglect the Lord? Does my life honour Him? Do my failings and sins weary Him? I will never be innocent but God offers to forgive and forget my Sins through my repentance and faith in Jesus Christ.

Quote :- (Henry H. Halley)”God had formed the nation for Himself. The nation had been increasingly disobedient. Still they were God’s nation, and through all their sins and sufferings God would work to demonstrate to all the world that He, and He alone, is God”.

Frances
Sep 6th 2011, 04:20 PM
Isaiah 44

What does the text say? – The Lord tells His people not to be afraid for He will quench their thirst and irrigate their ground, He will pour out His Spirit on their descendants and His Blessing on their children. The Lord of Hosts is Israel’s King and Redeemer, He is the First and the Last and the only God and there is no other rock. Idols are useless. How foolish are those who make or worship them; from one tree comes firewood for heating and baking, and also for making the god/idol they worship, expecting it to help them - they have no knowledge or understanding of their foolishness. Pay attention Jacob, the Lord will not forget Israel, He wants them to return to Him, for He has paid for their freedom. The Lord has Redeemed Israel and Glorified Himself. He made all things, the heavens and the earth, He exposes false prophets and causes them to give bad advise, but confirms the words of His prophets. Jerusalem will be rebuilt, and the Temple restored, by Cyrus.

Application? – Do I trust the Lord or am I fearful? Do I acknowledge the Lord of Host is my King? Do I worship any idols? The Lord Jesus Christ has paid for my Freedom from Sin and Satan – do I Glorify God by obeying Him?

Frances
Sep 7th 2011, 04:01 PM
Isaiah 45

What does the text say? – The Lord tells Cyrus (who will not come to power for over 150 years) that He will open gates before him and give him treasures and secret riches, so that he knows the God of Israel has called him by name for the benefit of His people, he has also equipped Cyrus for battle so everyone, all over the world, will know there is no other God, and that He creates light and makes darkness. He sends good times and bad times and will enable Salvation and Righteousness to spring up together, and only sorrow awaits those who argue with their Maker, for a clay pot cannot argue with the potter. The Holy One of Israel has created the heaven’s, earth and mankind, and will raise Cyrus and Guide his actions to fulfil His Purpose; he will restore His chosen city and free His captive people without seeking a reward. The Egyptians, Ethiopians and Sabeans will be their prisoners and acknowledge the one true God, and those who make idols will be humbled but the Lord will give Israel an eternal Salvation. The Lord publicly proclaims bold Promises that will come to pass. There is no other God beside Him, every tongue will confess allegiance to Him, and in Him all the descendants of Israel will be joyful.

Application? – The Lord controls my life, so everything that happens is under His control. Do I praise Him for the good times, and seek to learn from the bad? He has offered me Salvation, have I accepted His offer or do I argue with, or disregard, my Maker? Have I made anything into an idol? Have I confessed allegiance to the God of Israel?

Frances
Sep 8th 2011, 04:37 PM
Isaiah 46+47

What does the text say? – Idols cannot protect their owners, nor can their owners protect them, they both go into captivity together. God told the Israelites, through Isaiah, to listen to Him who is the One who had been their God before they were born, and would still be when they were old; He had Created them and He would care for them and save them. No idol, however expensive it was, is God’s equal. No idol can rescue anyone from troubles, however much they pray to it. Remember what God has done in the past, for He alone is God and there is none other like Him. Only He can accurately tell what the future holds before it happens, and everything He plans will come to pass. Listen you stubborn people, He is ready to save Jerusalem and show His Glory to Israel. The Lord God will take vengeance against Babylon, the Holy One of Israel will redeem His people; He punished them by sending them to be captives in Babylon, but even the elderly were treated shamefully – so calamity will fall on the Babylonians in an instant because of all their astrology, witchcraft and magic. Their so called wisdom and knowledge have failed them and are no more use than burning straw.

Application? – Are there idols of any kind in my life? Do I heed the Word of God, the One who created me and has always cared for me? Do I listen to Him and talk to Him in prayer? Do I know what God has done in the past? If not, why not when His Word is available? Have I treated any of God’s people shamefully? Do I take any notice of astrology, witchcraft or magik? If so, God will punish me in due course – unless I have repented, trusting in the Salvation He offers through Jesus Christ.

Frances
Sep 9th 2011, 04:58 PM
Isaiah 48

What does the text say? – The Lord of Heaven’s armies told the Israelites that although they prayed to Him they didn’t practice truth and righteousness, even though they said they depended on Him. Long ago God had told them what would happen and all His predictions had come true, so no one could say their idols had been responsible. Even though God’s predictions had come true they had refused to admit He was responsible. For His own sake, and the honour of His Name, the Lord would not annihilate them completely; He has refined His people through suffering so His reputation would not be tarnished, for He refuses to share His Glory with anyone or anything. God Created the Heavens and the earth, and He has chosen Cyrus to put an end to the Babylonian empire. The Lord says that if His people had obeyed Him they would have enjoyed peace and righteousness, and would not have faced destruction. Now the Lord has redeemed His servants, the people of Israel. Now He will provide for them, but there is no peace for the wicked.

Application? – Do I really depend on God in every area of my life, or only say that I do? Is the Lord refining me through suffering? Do I trust God to have Created everything, seen and unseen, in 6 x 24 hour days as His Word says, or do I give His Glory to something else? Do I enjoy peace and righteousness? I cannot expect to experience peace and righteousness if the Lord God regards me as wicked.

Frances
Sep 10th 2011, 04:05 PM
Isaiah 49

What does the text say? – A prophecy regarding Jesus Christ, from His birth to His death. His purpose was to bring God’s people back to Him, and also to be a Light to the Gentiles everywhere. One day God will return the land He originally gave to His people (the descendants of Jacob) back to them, and they will return to it from far away to take possession of it; there will be enough to eat and drink for all of them. Prior to that time God’s people will think He has abandoned them; but He will never do that, so although the land has been desolate and His people there destroyed, and it will seem too small to accommodate all the people who return, there will be enough for them all, and they will know He is the Lord, and they will not be ashamed of Him. The Lord will contend with those who contend with His people and will Save them. Everyone will know that the Lord God has Saved His people

Application? – This seems to refer both to the time Isaiah was living in and to the future reign of the Messiah. For us it is referring to the past, present (the Jews are returning to their land), and future.

Frances
Sep 11th 2011, 08:27 PM
Isaiah 50

What does the text say? – The Lord said He had not disowned His people but they had not acknowledged Him or His Power. None of them answered when He called, no one turned to Him when in distress, even though He has the Power to save them. The Sovereign Lord tells His servant what to say to sustain the weary and he has not rebelled, even when mocked or ill-treated. Because the Sovereign Lord helps him he will not be put to shame. The Lord God will help him. Who fears the Lord and obeys His Servant? Trust in the Name of the Lord and rely on Him to Guide you, but if you rely on human resources you will be tormented.

Application? – Do I ask the Lord for Guidance at all times? Do I act on what He says? Do I rely on the Lord’s Power when in distress? Might difficulties I face be because I didn’t rely on the Lord? Am I prepared to obey the Lord when He tells me to do the opposite of what I want to do?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “In chapters 49-55 the thoughts revolve around the servant of God. In some passages the servant seems to be Israel the nation, and in other passages, the Messiah, the One in whom Israel would be personified. The passages are pretty well blended, the content itself indicating which is meant. These chapters (41 – 53) seem to be a sort of soliloquy of the Servant, with interspersed replies from God, having to do mainly with His work of bringing all nations to God”.

Frances
Sep 12th 2011, 05:28 PM
Isaiah 51

What does the text say? – The Lord will comfort Zion and restore the joy of the people and the land to it’s former glory. The Lord’s people must realise His Law and justice will become a Light to the nations, His Righteousness is near, He offers Salvation and the people will trust Him. The Heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth wear out like clothing, and the people will die, but His Salvation will last forever and His Righteousness will never fail. Those who respect and trust the Lord must not fear the reproach or insults of men, who will be like clothing devoured by moths. The Lord’s Righteousness and Salvation will never end. The Lord is the One who dried up the sea for His people to cross, so the ransomed of the Lord will return and sorrow and dying will flee away. Don’t fear any oppressor but remember the Lord your Maker Who puts His Words in the mouth of those who belong to Him and covers them with the shadow of His Hand. Jerusalem has suffered the Lord’s wrath because no one guided them, so they suffered ruin, destruction, famine and sword. The Lord will now make their tormentors suffer instead.

Application? – Am I guided by the Lord’s Law and Justice? Have I accepted, and encourage others to accept, His Salvation? Do I fully trust the Lord? I must not fear insults or reproach if I am doing the Lord’s Will in His (not my)Way. One day those who torment those who trust the Lord will suffer for it.

Frances
Sep 13th 2011, 04:50 PM
Isaiah 52

What does the text say? – Wake up captive Zion, free yourselves from your chains. Jerusalem, the uncircumcised and defiled will not enter you again. You sold yourselves for nothing and will be redeemed without any cost to you. The Lord’s Name is mocked and blasphemed by your captors but the Lord has foretold your release. How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace and salvation and who tell Zion ‘your Lord reigns’. The Lord has comforted His people, He has redeemed Jerusalem, all the earth will see the Salvation of our God. Depart, depart, touch nothing unclean, come out and be pure, you who bear the vessels of the Lord. You will not leave in haste or running away, for the Lord will go ahead of you, and He will be your rearguard. Behold His Servant will prosper and be lifted up, many will be appalled as His appearance will be disfigured beyond human likeness. He will startle many nations, for what was not told will be seen and will be understood and considered.

Application? – Does Sin hold me captive? The Lord is willing to Redeem me. Do I ever mock or blaspheme the Lord’s Name? Do I value those who proclaim the Word of the Lord? Have I removed everything ‘unclean’ from my home and person (eg. souvenirs from foreign parts that were dedicated to a ‘foreign god’ or used for ‘unclean’ purposes)? Jesus Christ was beaten in my place before His crucifixion, do I understand, consider and be grateful for, His death in my place on the cross?

Frances
Sep 14th 2011, 04:46 PM
Isaiah 53

What does the text say? – The Lord’s Servant has no physical beauty to attract folk to Him, but is despised and rejected, a man of sorrows, acquainted with grief. He has bourn our sorrows and grief, yet we thought Him struck down by God, He was pierced through and crushed for our wrong-doing, and by blows He received we are Healed. We have all done as we pleased and He has been punished in our place for our iniquity. He was oppressed and afflicted yet He was silent. He left no descendants. For the transgressions of His people He was stricken, He was treated as a criminal but was with the rich at His death, because He had done nothing wrong. Yet it pleased the Lord to crush Him and cause Him to suffer and though the Lord makes His life a guilt-offering He will see His offspring and prolong His days, and the Lord’s Will will prosper in His Hand. He will be satisfied with what He has accomplished. By knowledge of Him many will be justified for He shall bear their iniquity. He will be great because He poured out His life unto death as a criminal, for He bore the Sin of many, and made intersession for the transgressors.

Application? – Jesus Christ has bourn my sorrows and grief. He was pierced through and crushed for my wrong-doing, and by blows He received I am able to be Healed (in body, mind and spirit). I have done what pleased me and He was punished in my place without complaining, even though He did nothing wrong. What have I done to tell others of His sacrifice for them? Jesus Christ makes intercession for each of those who trust in Him.

Frances
Sep 15th 2011, 06:06 PM
Isaiah 54

What does the text say? – Barren women will have more children than those who have borne children, and their descendants will inherit the nations. Do not fear for you will not be ashamed nor disgraced. Your Maker is your husband, the Lord of Hosts is His Name; your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; He is the God of the whole earth. For a moment He has forsaken His people, but with great Mercy He will gather them, with everlasting Kindness will have Mercy on them. As He has sworn that the whole earth will never be submerged under a flood as in the days of Noah, so He has sworn not to be angry or rebuke and His Kindness will not depart, nor His Covenant of Peace be removed. The Lord’s people will have the best of everything, they will be taught by Him and there will be peace and righteousness. The Lord’s people will be established and have nothing to fear from Him. No weapon formed against the Lord’s people will prosper, and they will refute everything said against His righteous ones.

Application? – Trusting the Lord, and producing spiritual children who obey Him, is more important than producing physical children. The Lord will not forsake those who trust Him and they will always have access to His Peace.

Frances
Sep 16th 2011, 04:32 PM
Isaiah 55+56

What does the text say? – Why do you spend money for things that do not nourish or satisfy you? Come to Me for what is good and abundant, and I will make an everlasting Covenant with you. Seek the Lord while He is available and call on Him. Repent of ungodly thoughts and actions and return to the Lord God who will have Mercy and pardon you. The Lord’s thoughts and ways are much higher than yours and My Word will accomplish the purpose for which it was given, enabling you to enjoy every good thing. Maintain justice and be righteous for the Lord s Servant is about to come and His righteousness to be revealed. People who are not Jews but submit themselves to the Lord and choose to please Him and obey His Law will belong among His people. Everyone who serves the Lord keeps from defiling the Sabbath and keeps His Covenant will have joy in His House of prayer, their sacrifices will be accepted, for His House is a house of prayer for all people. God will gather others beside the Jews. Those who should be watching for, and warning of danger are too busy with other things, blind and intoxicated with their way of life.

Application? – Do I waste money on what does not nourish or satisfy? Do all my thoughts and actions please the Lord? Do I maintain justice and righteousness at all times? Do I always submit myself and my ways to the Lord? Do I enjoy spending time with the Lord? Do I warn other folk of God’s coming Judgement and how to escape it?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Chapter 55 is the Servant’s invitation to all the world to enter His Kingdom and share His Blessings.”

Frances
Sep 17th 2011, 04:02 PM
Isaiah 57+58

What does the text say? – Righteous, merciful and upright people die to protect them from evil, they find peace in death. Those who rebel against the Lord and worship idols, including Molech, will not benefit, but the person who makes the Lord their refuge will inherit the land and His holy mountain. The Lord lives in a high and holy place and also with those humble, contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive their spirits. God has been enraged by His people’s sinful ways, but will heal, guide, restore and comfort them, creating praise in Israel, yet there is no peace for the wicked.
Day after day the people of Israel seem eager to seek God but don’t keep His Commandments, yet when they fast they exploit their workers also their fasting ends in quarrelling and fights. The kind of fast the Lord God has chosen is not only bowing the head, but to stop injustice and to free the oppressed , break every restriction, to share your food with the hungry, and provide shelter for poor wanderers; then your light will shine and your healing come quickly. Then your righteousness will go before you, you will call and the Lord will answer and He will help and guide you, He will satisfy your needs and strengthen your bones and your people will rebuild the ancient ruins. If the Sabbath is a delight to you, if you honour it by not going your own way you will feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.

Application? – Do I rebel against the Lord or make Him my refuge? Do I enrage God? Is my humility genuine? Do I always obey Him? Do I do all I am able to stop injustice and free the oppressed? Do I offer food and shelter to those in need? Does the Lord regard me as righteous or wicked?

Frances
Sep 18th 2011, 05:13 PM
Isaiah 59

What does the text say? – The Lord’s ability to hear and save is still limitless but your iniquities and sins of bloodshed, lies, and perversity have separated you from Him, so He will not hear or save you. No one calls for justice and integrity, they trust in empty arguments and lies, they know nothing of justice or peace. We look for light but there is only darkness, we look for justice but there is none and salvation is far from us. We acknowledge our iniquities: rebellion, treachery against the Lord, turning our backs on our God, encouraging others to revolt, and telling lies, so justice, righteousness, truth and honesty are far from us. Truth is nowhere to be found and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey for the wicked. The Lord was appalled that there was no intercessor so according to what they have done, with vengeance He will repay His enemies. All people will learn to fear the Name of the Lord and revere His Glory. The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those who repent of there sins, and His Covenant with them is that His Spirit will speak to and through them.

Application? – Have I separated myself from the Lord by my actions? Do I encourage justice and truth? Am I unfailingly honest and just? Do I acknowledge, and repent of, my Sins? Am I ill-treated because I shun evil? Do I intercede for others? Do I pray that all people will enjoy truth, honour, freedom and courtesy? Do I fear the Name of the Lord and revere His Glory? Have I submitted my life to the Redeemer, Jesus Christ? Do I recognise the Voice of His Spirit? Do I allow Him to speak through me?

Frances
Sep 20th 2011, 05:17 AM
Isaiah 60+61

What does the text say? – Arise and shine for your light has come, and the Glory of the Lord is rising on you. Darkness will cover the earth and deep darkness the people, but the Lord will arise over you and His Glory will be seen upon you, and the Gentiles and their wealth will drawn to you, filling you with joy. Though in anger the Lord departed from you, His Mercy is now upon you, and the nations that have oppressed you and despised you will bow to you and honour the Holy One of Israel. Although you have been hated you will know that the Lord is your Saviour and your Redeemer – the Mighty One of Jacob. Your officers will be peace and your magistrates righteousness, removing violence far from you.
– Only if my life is totally submitted to the Lord God am I qualified to preach His Good News to those who don’t know Him, but only know of Him. He has sent me to build up the broken-hearted, to tell captives they can be set free, to comfort those who mourn and to tell of God’s favour and vengeance; to tell those of the Lord’s people who grieve that He offers joy instead of distress and praise instead of despair. They will Glorify the Lord by the strength of their righteousness. You will rebuild ancient ruins, and restore places devastated for generations and foreigners will be your labourers. You will be ministers to, and servants of, our God. You will receive honour instead of disgrace, will rejoice in your righteousness and receive everlasting Joy. The Lord says He hates people offering Him what isn’t rightfully theirs and loves justice. He will make and everlasting Covenant with His people, and they will be known as the people the Lord has Blessed. I will delight greatly in the Lord and rejoice in my God, for He has given me Salvation and His righteousness. The Lord will cause righteousness and praise to grow like seeds planted in a garden.

Application? – Do I honour the Holy One of Israel? He will be my Saviour and Redeemer when I submit my life to Him. When all those in authority in my nation always act in righteousness and peace there will be no more violence.
Is every area of my life totally submitted to the Lord? if not none of this applies to me.

Frances
Sep 20th 2011, 04:58 PM
Isaiah 62+63

What does the text say? – I will keep telling of the faults of Zion until your salvation and righteousness is recognised by other peoples, and then the Lord will bestow on you a new name. You will no longer be Forsaken or your land Desolate, but you will be called Hephzibah(my delight is in her) and your land Beulah(married), demonstrating the Lord’s delight in you. You who belong to the Lord, give Him no rest from your prayers. The Lord has sworn not to give your food or drink to those who are not His people, you will be able to enjoy the fruit of your labour. Prepare the way for your Saviour and His Holy people, the Redeemed of the Lord, for you will be sought after, a city forsaken and deserted no longer.
The Lord will come in righteousness, mighty to Save. Why are His clothes red? Because the time of His vengeance has come. He looked but there was no one to help His people, so He did what was necessary Himself. I will tell of all the Lord has done for His people according to His Compassion and Mercy. Yet they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit in days of old. Where is He who brought His people through the sea? Where are Your Zeal and Might, Your Compassion and Tenderness? You are our Father and Redeemer, though neither Abraham nor Israel acknowledge us. Why have You allowed us to stray from Your Ways and to have no respect for You or Your Power? For a little while Your people possessed Your Holy places but now our enemies have trampled down Your Holy sanctuary.

Application? – Do I tell others if their behaviour, according to God’s Word, does not please Him? Do I constantly pray for what is important to the Lord? Will the fruit of the seeds I sow, by word or deed, bring me joy or pain? Do I tell others of the Salvation the Lord offers?

Frances
Sep 21st 2011, 05:27 PM
Isaiah 64+65

What does the text say? – Lord, if only You would come to earth to make Your enemies tremble with fear, in the way You did for our ancestors when the mountains shook at Your Presence. Since the beginning of the world there has been no God but You who acts for those who trust Him. You are pleased with those who delight in pleasing You, but are angry when we have Sinned. All our righteousness is like filthy rages and You have let us waste away because of our Sins. You are the Potter, we are the clay, so don’t be furious with us for ever O Lord, for we are Your people. Zion is a wilderness, our temple is burned, will You say nothing and punish us beyond measure?
The Lord replied that He was sought by those who didn’t ask for Him and He was found by those who didn’t seek Him; He has pleaded with His people but they continued to rebel, provoking Him to anger by worshipping idols, so He will pay them back for their wickedness. The Lord will not destroy all Jacob’s descendants but the people who seek to please Him will live in the land. Those who forsake their God and worship pagan deities will be destroyed, because when the Lord Called they didn’t answer or listen when He spoke. Those who serve the Lord will have their needs met, but His enemies will not. The Lord will create a new heaven and a new earth for His servants – before they call He will answer, herbivores will have nothing to fear from carnivores and reptiles will eat dust.

Application? – Do I delight in pleasing the Lord? I can do nothing worthwhile without the Lord’s help. Do I allow the Lord to mould me into the person He wants me to be? Do I ask the Lord to reveal Himself to me? Do I have any idols in my life – anything that means more to me than obeying the Lord? Do I listen to the Lord and answer Him with obedience? Have I noticed that as soon as I have prayed the answer is often obvious (but not if I don’t pray)?

Frances
Sep 22nd 2011, 05:34 PM
Isaiah 66

What does the text say? – The Lord says Heaven is His home and Earth His footstool. He is responsible for the creation of everything that exists. He only esteems those who respect His Word enough to obey it, not those who make an outward show of worshipping Him but whose heart does not belong to Him; He will choose their delusions, and will bring on them what they fear, because when He called they did not answer, and when He spoke they didn’t listen. Those who hate and exclude the Lord’s servants will be put to shame because He repays His enemies. Rejoice for the people of Jerusalem because the Lord will give them Peace like a river and wealth like a flooding stream and they will be comforted. The Lord will be known to His servants but His foes will only know His fury, with fire and sword He will execute Judgement and He will kill many, including all those who worship idols. The Lord will choose some of His people to proclaim His ‘glory among the nations and He will select some to serve Him. The Lord will create a new Heaven and new Earth and all mankind will worship Him.

Application? – Do I obey God’s Word – written and spoken? Is my life totally submitted to Him? Am I delighted that Jerusalem, and all God’s people in it will, one day, know all the benefits of Peace? Am I doing the work the Lord has chosen for me? Am I serving Him in the way He wants me to or in the way that I want to?

Frances
Sep 23rd 2011, 06:07 PM
Quote :- (Henry H, Halley)[ Summary of Isaiah’s Predictions.

Fulfilled in his own lifetime
Judah to be delivered from Syria and Israel (7:4-7.16)
Syria and Israel to be destroyed by Assyrian (8;4,17:1-14)
Assyria to invade Judah (8:7-8)
Philistines to be subjugated (14:28-32)
Moab to be plundered (15 +16)
Egypt and Ethiopia to be conquered by Assyria (20:4)
Arabia to be pillaged (21:13-17)
Tyre to be subdued (23:1-12)
Jerusalem to be delivered from Assyria. (37:36 etc.)
Hezekiah’s life to be extended 15 years (38:5)

Fulfilled after Isaiah’s time
Babylonian captivity (39:5-7)
Babylon to be overthrown by Cyrus (46:11)
And the Medes and Elamites (13:17;21:2; 48:14)
Babylon’s perpetual desolation (13:20-22)
Cyrus called by name ( 44:28; 45:1;4)
Cyrus’ conquest of the world.(41:2-3)
Cyrus to liberate the captives(45:13)
Cyrus to re-build Jerusalem (44:28; 45:13)
Israel to be restored (27:12-13; 48:20; 51:14)
Israel’s religion to permeate Egypt and Assyria (19:18-25)
Israel’s religion to spread over the whole world ( 27:2-6)
Tyre’s captivity and restoration (23:13-18)
Edom’s perpetual desolation (34:5-17)

About the Messiah
His advent (40:3-5)
His virgin birth (7:4)
Galilee to be the scene of His Ministry (9:1-2)
His Deity and Eternity of His Throne ( 9:6-7)
His Sufferings (53)
To die with the wicked (53:9)
To be buried with the rich (53:9)
Might and gentleness of His reign (40:10-11)
Righteousness and beneficence of His reign (32:1-8; 61:1-3)
His Justice and Kindness (42:3-4,7)
His Rule over the Gentiles (2:2-3; 42:1,6; 49:6; 55:4-5; 56:6; 60:3-5)
His vast influence (49:7,23)
Idols to disappear (2:18)
A warless world to be brought into being (2:4; 65:25)
The earth to be destroyed (24; 26:21; 34:1-4)
Death to be destroyed (25:8; 26:19)
God’s people to be called by a new name (62:2; 65:15)
A new Heaven and a new Earth to be created ( 65:17; 66:22)
The Righteous and Wicked to be eternally separated (66:15; 22-24).