PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Pros and cons of using the video or music website programs?

ikester7579
Sep 16th 2011, 10:08 AM
I was looking at some of the programs available in the admin cp. Is anyone using the music or video programs that could tell me the pros and cons of it?

1) What kind of video and music can be uploaded (copyright issues)?
2) Is there a way to have a file not visible until approved when someone else uploads it?
3) Should it be original content only?

etc...

bdh
Sep 16th 2011, 06:27 PM
I can answer you on 1 & 3:

1. Anything can be uploaded, even if it is copyright provided you have permission form the copyright holder and it is noted.
3. Doesn't have to be provided you have permission.

See http://www.dmca.com/ for more.

ikester7579
Sep 17th 2011, 03:03 AM
Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

bdh
Sep 17th 2011, 05:35 AM
You have no idea how much of a political issue this has become. There is even a "pirate party" in Sweden. If you have time and want to learn more, this site (http://torrentfreak.com) has a wealth of information.

bob
Sep 17th 2011, 04:55 PM
I saw earlier this year some sort of reverse class action lawsuit where a company was suing everyone who's IP they had found downloading a movie they had produced, they sued for two grand per download, now thats an expensive movie. I bet you 99.99% of them wouldn't have the guts to rob a physical store, but since there isn't enforcement for this stuff, they will do it.

ikester7579
Oct 7th 2011, 02:16 AM
Along the same lines. Hulu (which is like netflix) actually allows their customers to embed movies on their website or blog. I wonder how they work that out? Like if I wanted I could embed the movie End of the Spear on my blog or even here. And yes it's the whole movie.

bdh
Oct 7th 2011, 05:54 AM
YouTube and hundreds of others allow the same but one needs to keep in mind that most YouTube-type material is captured as "home video" meaning it was shot by the uploader. Where it's commercial footage, it's often from promotional material made freely available for advertising purposes or under one of the copy-left, creative commons or other such arrangements.