PDA

View Full Version : how should this passage be viewed

dan p
Oct 10th 2011, 10:22 PM
Hi to all , and John 20:19-23 does present many problems to those who say we should follow Christ . Mant believers still hang on to the 10 commandments , Baptism , Healings and speaking in tongues .

Many say that I cherry pick , and I say , I do not , NOR do I blend OT and the Gospels with Paul's , even though Paul quotes from the OT many times and he mis-quotes it , by the Holy Spirit !

#1 , The context of John 20:19 is to the Disciples .

#2 , Please notice that Jesus is giving them another commission before the so-called Great Commission of Matt 28:19-21 !

#3 , Then is verse 22 , Jesus says , " Receive ye Holy Spirit " and this conflicts with John 7:39 " But spake He of the Spirit , which they that believe on Him should receive , for the Holy Sprit was not yet GIVEN ( speaking of Pentecost ) , because Jesus was NOT YET GLORIFIED .

#4 , I say that they received the Power of the Holt Spirit .

#5 , Then they are given the Power to REMIT SINS in verse 23 !!

#6 , Can these be done today and WHY NOT , many stil keep Baptism , Healings and Speak in Tongues ??

dan p

NetCritic
Oct 12th 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure about what you are confused, but what you should do is read it under a different translation than KJV... It might make more sense... I advise NKJV or NIV...

dan p
Oct 12th 2011, 09:40 PM
I'm not exactly sure about what you are confused, but what you should do is read it under a different translation than KJV... It might make more sense... I advise NKJV or NIV...

Hi , and if the 10 commandment , or all the Law of Mo0ses , or Baptism is still in effect and what Jesus preached in Matt 4:17 , Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand , WHY not the Remitting of sins ?? dan p

MoreMercy
Oct 13th 2011, 12:47 AM
Hi dan p

I may not but, if I understand your question: I see you effort to define the Holy Spirits job for us, or trying to put Him in a strictly defined box for us ?

The Holy Spirit works Father's will upon the Earth is what I will try to share to answer your questions.
He (the Holy Spirit's) work is more than fulfilling Father's promises to man, His work is more than Pentecost and more than the great commission and more than moving across the firmaments at creation.

There are to many other accounts of differing works of the Holy Spirit in our bibles to list here but here are a few as examples:

The Holy Spirit of God also came upon Mary (the mother of Jesus) before Pentecost and before the great commission.

The holy Spirit of God came upon Mary's cousin too (John the baptist's mother) also before Pentecost and also before the great commission.

The Holy Spirit moved the sick, the demon oppressed to Christ presence even before Christ's work/sacrifice was even revealed to His fellows while He walked on the Earth, and even a few Gentiles were moved by the Holy Spirit BEFORE Gentiles were even offered/given a provision for restoration through Christ, the Holy Spirit brought them to Christ to witness to us today and to His brethren then of the work, purpose and identity of Christ.
All of these things happened before Christ work on the Earth was complete, and before the great commission, and before the death burial and resurrection of our Savoir, King and Priest, and before Pentecost too.

EDIT:
I am not a teacher but I suggest a study of the book of Matthew to answer your questions here.

As for whether obedience to the 10 commandments is taught and reinforced by Christ own words/teachings (Matt chpt 25), and (Matt chpt 1-28) for some references on the unfathomable purpose's' of the Holy Spirit.

Again, maybe I am misunderstanding your question ?

Father bless and have mercy on us.

dan p
Oct 13th 2011, 01:20 AM
Hi dan p

I may not but, if I understand your question: I see you effort to define the Holy Spirits job for us, or trying to put Him in a strictly defined box for us ?

The Holy Spirit works Father's will upon the Earth is what I will try to share to answer your question.
He (the Holy Spirit's) work is more than fulfilling Father's promises to man, His work is more than Pentecost and more than the great commission and more than moving across the firmaments at creation.

I am not a teacher but I suggest a study of Chapter 22 through 25 of the book of Matthew to shed some light on obedience to the 10 commandments, and some light on one of the unfathomable purpose's' of the Holy Spirit.
Again, maybe I am misunderstanding your question ?

There are to many other accounts of differing works of the Holy Spirit in our bibles to list here but here are a few as examples:

The Holy Spirit of God also came upon Mary (the mother of Jesus) before Pentecost and before the great commission.

The holy Spirit of God came upon Mary's cousin too (John the baptist's mother) also before Pentecost and also before the great commission.

The Holy Spirit moved the sick, the demon oppressed to Christ presence even before Christ's work/sacrifice was even revealed to His fellows while He walked on the Earth, and even a few Gentiles were moved by the Holy Spirit BEFORE Gentiles were even offered/given a provision for restoration through Christ, the Holy Spirit brought them to Christ to witness to us today and to His brethren then of the work, purpose and identity of Christ.
All of these things happened before Christ work on the Earth was complete, and before the great commission, and before the death burial and resurrection of our Savoir, King and Priest, and before Pentecost too.

Hi , and if you read John 7:39 , no one could receive the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit because it had not YET been given until Pentecost .

Check the Greek and the Greek Article ( which is the word THE ) IS NOT USED IN VERSE 39 , so what does it then mean is what I am getting at ??

I say that it is the Power of the Holy Spirit and this is just one instance of many !!!

Many say we are to follow Jesus and if true, can we not also Remit sins ? dan p

MoreMercy
Oct 13th 2011, 01:24 AM
Hi , and if you read John 7:39 , no one could receive the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit because it had not YET been given until Pentecost .

Check the Greek and the Greek Article ( which is the word THE ) IS NOT USED IN VERSE 39 , so what does it then mean is what I am getting at ??

I say that it is the Power of the Holy Spirit and this is just one instance of many !!!

Many say we are to follow Jesus and if true, can we not also Remit sins ? dan p