PDA

View Full Version : power and love and a sound mind

one-witness
Nov 6th 2011, 10:33 PM
When it comes to a stigma of mental illness on my life, the following verses have been encouraging:

"For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; but if of sound mind, it is for you." (2 Corinthians 5:13)

"For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

In being accused of insanity, I am in good company:

"And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad. But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak forth the words of truth and soberness." (Acts 26:24-25)

"And when his (Jesus') friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself." (Mark 3:21)

"And many of them said, He (Jesus) hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him? Others said, these are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?" (John 10:20-21)

"They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy;) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth..." (Hebrews 11:37-38)

EDITED to remove verses taken out of context that really do not relate to mental illness. Mental illness is that...an illness, and no one is after believers to institutionalize them just for being Christians.

Isaiah 57:18. "I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners."

JRFifty
Dec 11th 2011, 06:05 PM
I had trouble understanding your statement, I have faith that you can be healed from any mental illness.

david
Dec 12th 2011, 09:14 PM
When it comes to a stigma of mental illness on my life, the following verses have been encouraging:

"For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; but if of sound mind, it is for you." (2 Corinthians 5:13)

"For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

In being accused of insanity, I am in good company:

"And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad. But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak forth the words of truth and soberness." (Acts 26:24-25)

"And when his (Jesus') friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself." (Mark 3:21)

"And many of them said, He (Jesus) hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him? Others said, these are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?" (John 10:20-21)

"They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy;) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth..." (Hebrews 11:37-38)

EDITED to remove verses taken out of context that really do not relate to mental illness. Mental illness is that...an illness, and no one is after believers to institutionalize them just for being Christians.

Isaiah 57:18. "I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners."
Great verses, thanks!

Nebuchadnezzar was one whom God took away his mental ability from.

All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. At the end of twelve months he was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, and the king answered and said, “Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?” While the words were still in the king’s mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, “O King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: The kingdom has departed from you, and you shall be driven from among men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. And you shall be made to eat grass like an ox, and seven periods of time shall pass over you, until you know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will.” Immediately the word was fulfilled against Nebuchadnezzar. He was driven from among men and ate grass like an ox, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven till his hair grew as long as eagles’ feathers, and his nails were like birds’ claws. Daniel 4:28-33

However, his mental ability returned to him afterwards, and it was a very happy ending for him. Why does God do this? Perhaps to humble people like Nebuchadnezzar said (Daniel 4:37). But whatever the reason, God reminds us,

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Hebrews 12:5-13