PDA

View Full Version : Earthly Treasures!!!!

Firstfruits
Dec 1st 2011, 01:11 PM
Mt 6:19 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=19) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

Deuteronomy 28:8-13.
8 The LORD shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
9 The LORD shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, and walk in his ways.
10 And all people of the earth shall see that thou art called by the name of the LORD; and they shall be afraid of thee.
11 And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee.
12 The LORD shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.
13 And the LORD shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the LORD thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them:

Firstfruits

John 8:32
Dec 1st 2011, 05:15 PM
Mt 6:19 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=19) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

8 The LORD shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
9 The LORD shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, and walk in his ways.
10 And all people of the earth shall see that thou art called by the name of the LORD; and they shall be afraid of thee.
11 And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee.
12 The LORD shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.
13 And the LORD shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the LORD thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them:

Firstfruits

I'll help you out here, send me all your stuff.

keck553
Dec 1st 2011, 05:23 PM
FF, the old covenant prosperity promises was for Israel. Are you under the Law of Moses?

Fenris
Dec 1st 2011, 05:30 PM
I don't understand what's wrong with God blessing one with material prosperity.

Dec 1st 2011, 05:49 PM

Not a thing, again, if someone doesn't want their earthly treasures, send 'em to me.

Indueseason
Dec 1st 2011, 05:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can see ( I'm not one to tell God He is wrong) It's not about how much money we hold, but it is about how much our money has a hold on us!! :yes:

blessings to you :hug:

Fenris
Dec 1st 2011, 05:54 PM
It's not about how much money we hold, but it is about how much our money has a hold on us!! :yes:

Yes we can agree that love of money is a problem and not the money itself...

keck553
Dec 1st 2011, 11:44 PM

Nothing at all. We've all been blessed far beyond our needs. even unbelievers.

But I have to say, since we've simplified our lives and got rid of a bunch of stuff, it's been a much more peaceful and happy home.

Caleb
Dec 2nd 2011, 12:14 AM
Heb 13:5 Your lifestyle must be free from the love of money, being content with what you have. For he himself has said, "I will never desert you, and I will never abandon you."
Heb 13:6 So then, we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What will man do to me?"

1Ti 6:3 If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,
1Ti 6:4 he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,
1Ti 6:5 and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.
1Ti 6:7 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.
1Ti 6:8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.

1Ti 6:9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
1Ti 6:11 But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.

Firstfruits
Dec 2nd 2011, 09:52 AM
I'll help you out here, send me all your stuff.

But we are not to labour for that which perisheth, according to Jesus.

Jn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

Is that in itself a command?

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Dec 2nd 2011, 09:53 AM
Heb 13:5 Your lifestyle must be free from the love of money, being content with what you have. For he himself has said, "I will never desert you, and I will never abandon you."
Heb 13:6 So then, we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What will man do to me?"

1Ti 6:3 If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,
1Ti 6:4 he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,
1Ti 6:5 and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.
1Ti 6:7 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.
1Ti 6:8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.

1Ti 6:9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
1Ti 6:11 But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.

Thanks Caleb,

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Dec 2nd 2011, 11:55 AM

Jn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

Firstfruits

Well, don't work then. Just quit and lay around...

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

You are twisting scripture very badly here.

Firstfruits
Dec 2nd 2011, 04:57 PM

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Please explain how I have twisted that which is written?

Firstfruits

david
Dec 2nd 2011, 09:37 PM

Firstfruits
John 6:27 is probably saying "don't focus on trying to save yourself" or "don't be anxious about your life (c.f. Matthew 6:25)"
Matthew 6:19 is probably saying "don't love anything else above God"

keck553
Dec 2nd 2011, 11:31 PM

Firstfruits

So did you quit your job?

Butch5
Dec 3rd 2011, 12:27 AM

Firstfruits

Hi FF,

As has been mentioned the passage from Deuteronomy was for Israel. You've posted Jesus command, here is another; Jesus said this to His disciples.

Luke 12:16-34(KJV)
16And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.22And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
25And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
26If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Fatherís good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. 34For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus told His disciples to sell that they had and give alms. He doesn't say, as He did to the rich young ruler, sell "all" that you have, He only says sell that you have. I think he leaves some room for discretion. His point is that we don't store away money on earth but rather use it to further the kingdom of God. The man in this parable was storing up earthly treasures not heavenly, God calls him a fool and tells him that he will lose his life that very night. Then he will not have the benefit of those riches, they will go to another. This man should have used his money to further the kingdom rather than store up earthly treasure because had he used it for the kingdom he would have been storing up treasure in heaven which was incorruptible which he could have enjoyed for eternity.

I've recently read a good book on this very issue, here is a link to it. The book makes some good points but everyone has to do as the Lord leads.

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/more-Eye-of-Needle.html?__utma=1.227811779.1257985161.13227947 86.1322871399.64&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1315881984.52.12.utmccn%3D(organic)%7Cutm csr%3Dgoogle%7Cutmctr%3Dscroll%2Bpublishing%7Cutmc md%3Dorganic&__utmv=-&__utmk=206326036

Firstfruits
Dec 3rd 2011, 03:28 PM
John 6:27 is probably saying "don't focus on trying to save yourself" or "don't be anxious about your life (c.f. Matthew 6:25)"
Matthew 6:19 is probably saying "don't love anything else above God"

I agree with that because Israel were doing what God had commanded so that they could receive Gods blessings, which they could not receive unless they did as GoD had commanded them. Through faith in Jesus God has promised to supply our needs. This does not mean that we are not to work to support ourselves and family.

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Dec 3rd 2011, 03:34 PM
Hi FF,

As has been mentioned the passage from Deuteronomy was for Israel. You've posted Jesus command, here is another; Jesus said this to His disciples.

Luke 12:16-34(KJV)
16And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.22And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
25And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
26If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. 34For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus told His disciples to sell that they had and give alms. He doesn't say, as He did to the rich young ruler, sell "all" that you have, He only says sell that you have. I think he leaves some room for discretion. His point is that we don't store away money on earth but rather use it to further the kingdom of God. The man in this parable was storing up earthly treasures not heavenly, God calls him a fool and tells him that he will lose his life that very night. Then he will not have the benefit of those riches, they will go to another. This man should have used his money to further the kingdom rather than store up earthly treasure because had he used it for the kingdom he would have been storing up treasure in heaven which was incorruptible which he could have enjoyed for eternity.

I've recently read a good book on this very issue, here is a link to it. The book makes some good points but everyone has to do as the Lord leads.

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/more-Eye-of-Needle.html?__utma=1.227811779.1257985161.13227947 86.1322871399.64&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1315881984.52.12.utmccn%3D(organic)%7Cutm csr%3Dgoogle%7Cutmctr%3Dscroll%2Bpublishing%7Cutmc md%3Dorganic&__utmv=-&__utmk=206326036

Israel could only receive those blessings by keeping what God had commanded, through Jesus those things that are needed are added because of our faith in Jesus.

Firstfruits

chad
Dec 3rd 2011, 09:17 PM
We can't take our earthly treasures with us to heaven, they will be of no use.

Mt 6:20 gives the other half of the teaching.

20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Meaning, heavenly treasure is better than earthly treasure and that is what we should be desiring.

Firstfruits
Dec 6th 2011, 02:24 PM
We can't take our earthly treasures with us to heaven, they will be of no use.

Mt 6:20 gives the other half of the teaching.

20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Meaning, heavenly treasure is better than earthly treasure and that is what we should be desiring.

How then do we store up treasures in heaven?

Firstfruits

david
Dec 7th 2011, 02:02 AM

Firstfruits
As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19

doing good works.

also this is a heavenly treasure:
For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face, that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of Godís mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:1-3

in other words, the word of God (wisdom) is treasure.

Isaiah2
Dec 7th 2011, 07:27 AM

Actually, your interpretation of 2Thes 3:10 only works to create a false dilemma...

What the apostle Paul stated there is the same as Lev 19:11. The apostle Paul used the accounts from 1 Sam 25 to write 2 Thes 3. The heart of God... please read 1 Sam 30.

Pray for wisdom!

Firstfruits
Dec 7th 2011, 10:02 AM
As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19

doing good works.

also this is a heavenly treasure:
For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face, that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:1-3

in other words, the word of God (wisdom) is treasure.

Thank you David I agree, God bless you!

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Dec 8th 2011, 09:13 AM
With the understanding that the following is for Israel, why will God take notice of our good works and not the works of the law?

Firstfruits

david
Dec 10th 2011, 02:43 AM

Firstfruits
just found another verse
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Matthew 19:21

david
Dec 10th 2011, 03:08 AM
With the understanding that the following is for Israel, why will God take notice of our good works and not the works of the law?

Firstfruits

the passage you quoted is the reward for doing good. it does not say "God will take notice of our good works and not the works of the law" or anything like that.

Whatís the difference between works of the law and works of faith?
Two differences: the intent is different, and the work of the law is disapproved whereas the work of faith is approved.

Works of the law are works to justify yourself. If you are working to justify yourself then you are severed from grace (Galatians 5:4). Why? because trying to justify yourself implies that you are trying to do works independent from God. No flesh can justify themselves according to Rom 3:20. All have sinned according to Romans 3:23. God must do all of the good works in you, with none of it being claimed as being done on your own accord. For if we were able to do good works on our own accord, then it would be true that we can earn eternal life through justifying ourselves. In contrast, works of faith are works done totally by God. They did not originate from us, and they were done by Jesus through us.

No work of the law is approved. Because people who do works of the law do not believe in Jesus, they are unjustified no matter what they do. They are unclean on the inside, while trying to do good on the outside. Like whitewashed tombs. Or sewing fig leaves to cover your nakedness (Adam and Eve). But what is on the inside must be cleansed first, then you can do good works. Doing good works with an unclear conscience is like trying to hide from judgment. An unclean person must be cleansed first, and the only way to do that is to take the blood of the lamb. If you believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again, and if you confess your sins and repent from them, then you are cleansed (1jn 1.9). Then you can start doing good works, and these good works are approved. However, when you do do good works, you can't say you did them, but that God was really the one doing them (1 Corinthians 15:10). Every time you obey Godís commandments, it is not you doing them but God doing them in you.

HisWill
Dec 10th 2011, 09:23 PM
Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.

For me this means that I should put more effort into setting up my heavenly retirement plan than my earthly retirement plan. So if I am looking at my stocks weekly, I believe I need to consider my treasure in heaven more frequently....you know what I mean, it is obviously not about time but where my heart is or what is more important to me.

There is nothing wrong with material stuff, nice house, nice car etc. - provided that you really value and really consider your heavenly retirement plan and heavenly treasure more than material stuff.

Everyone will know the truth in their hearts and we are all in unique situations. Do not be judged by anyone except your own heart.
Blessings

Blessings

Firstfruits
Dec 13th 2011, 10:28 AM
Is it fair to say that the works mentioned in the following scripture are not works of the law?

Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

As opposed to the following.

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Firstfruits

david
Dec 13th 2011, 08:17 PM
Is it fair to say that the works mentioned in the following scripture are not works of the law?

Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

As opposed to the following.

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Firstfruits

Yes. Works of the law = works to justify yourself under law

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” Galatians 3:10

Firstfruits
Dec 13th 2011, 09:37 PM
Yes. Works of the law = works to justify yourself under law

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” Galatians 3:10

Thank you David.

Firstfruits