PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU go to church?

abigail
Jan 8th 2012, 01:29 AM
Hi,I am new to this board so I hope I have chosen the correct forum for this.

In my introduction I told how I came to know Christ.I had never belonged to a church until about a year ago.I had gone to Catholic Mass with my husband,and I tried a couple of Protestant churches,also one non-denominational church.( is church supposed to capitalized?) Anyway,I truly think I was led to that church,the one I joined a year ago,by God.I had been feeling that I wanted to find a church,to get closer to Him and to have more Christian people in my life.I had some signs,things that happened that I felt were God leading me there.I read their beliefs online,read some of the Pastor's sermons,knew it was the church for me.The people were so welcoming at a time when I really needed that and I soaked it up.The people in this church are the sweetest most loving people I have ever known.I joined the first Bible study that started up.I quickly became a member and attended every time I was able.The church is a small one and there is only one service,on Sunday morning,that's it.They started a monthy free meal for the hungry and I participated in that once.
The Bible study was not at all what I expected.I thought we would be like students and the Pastor would teach and then we could ask questions.Like a class.It's not like that.We had a study guide and we would read certain chapters in the Bible and then answer questions in the guide.Then we would discuss it.From what other people tell me the way they do it is the same as my church does it so it's just me.
The Sunday service is everything I want in a service.They have a choir, I love a choir.They have an organ and a piano,which I love,I do not like the rock and roll band some churches have.The pastor writes good sermons.The prayers we say are great,I even cut some of them out of the handout they give you and saved them.
Yet gradually I have noticed I have to force myself to go.Not just to the Bible study but also to the Sunday service.
Whatever it was that I had a year ago that made me want to go to church and want to join,I have lost it.
I have not lost my love for the Lord,it is stronger than ever.I still want to study the Bible but I am going to do a home Bible study,by myself.I just find that I don't really want to go to church I would rather sleep in.What is wrong with me?
I would like to know why you go to church?

Thanks for reading,
abigail

david
Jan 8th 2012, 04:00 AM
i go to church because the Word says so.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:24-25

But other than that, it's for encouraging one another and building up the church. We as Christians have a part in the building up of the church, whether we prophesy (1 Corinthians 14:4), discipline (2 Timothy 4:2), or tithe. Jesus said he made us "perfectly one (John 17:23, Galatians 3:28)" body of Christians. Each member of the body is joined to one another like a team (1 Corinthians 12:21). When one member suffers, all suffer together, and when one member is honored, all rejoice together (1 Corinthians 12:26). In this way we are one. But it is also a duty to be with the church. For before Jesus was going to die, he said we ought to imitate him in his love for one another (John 13:34). John said that we ought to lay down our life for one another because Jesus did it for us as an example of love (1 John 3:16). Because of this, we owe one another love (Romans 13:8). Paul was one such a giver of love (2 Timothy 4:6). He once said that he would rather not write to the church than actually meeting with her face to face (2 John 1:12). These are just some of the reasons why we should be with the church.

abigail
Jan 8th 2012, 06:55 AM
Thank you for your response. As I have said I was not raised in a church going or Christian family.I have not studied the Bible,although I have read alot of it,but I cannot quote chapter and verse as you can.
You talk about building up the church,could that mean bringing more people to Christ? Loving one another, isn't that all mankind? not just Christians or people who go to church.Isn't The Body of Christ, all Christians? All who have accepted Jesus as Saviour? When The Lord speaks of 'The Church' He isn't talking about a building is He? I am a Christian,I may love God more than alot of people who go to a church.
I am not trying to be argumentative,please understand that.I just don't see anything in your answer that makes me want to go to church tomorrow.I can do all of what you said without a building.
Am I the only one who has ever felt this way? I am really seeking help here.

Indueseason
Jan 8th 2012, 03:06 PM
I love being part of a church family, and that is primarily why I attend. The support it has given me over the years has been incredible. I have been part of a local church in three different countries, and each one has blessed me. We don't always share the same biblical views, but we share the same love of Christ. I dont have much family, and only a few Christian friends, so the church is just what I need.

I love praying as a group and worshipping as a group too. I just love listening to other sharing their love for God. It builds me up so much!! :pp

I'm in between churches right now, but I still attend a very small church nearby. God willing, I'll be moving to where I want to be in the next few months, and I'm looking forward to being part of a new church!

blessings to you :hug:

turtledove
Jan 8th 2012, 03:58 PM
I go to church because I feel the Lord has led me there. Church is a community of believers who are saved by the blood of Jesus, who love God and one another, and who live according to the teachings in the bible.

Mainly I go to "my" particular church, which took me a long time to find, (been there 5 years now) because we are led to be worshipping in Spirit and Truth and because of a loving atmosphere. My church is large and offers a variety of ministries. Some of the things you shared would be welcome and even encouraged in many groups.

I think maybe this particular church you have been in was a step in the right direction but you certainly seemed to have prayerfully considered the pro's and con's and looks to me that there is a better church home out there for you. I hope this last experience isn't discouraging you from finding good fellowship in another church. It is possible to worship the Lord at home on our own and we all can pray and do things for others..but we do need the community of believers for support, guidance, and to help us grow and reach out to others who need Jesus in the midst of a troubled world. If we stay away from church too long our values can easily slip back into those of that world. As Jesus said: "My kingdom is not of this world."

God bless.

IMINXTC
Jan 8th 2012, 04:14 PM
Abigail, it's very important these days to distinguish between "going to church" and being a member of the "Body of Christ."

If I have truly been born again then I've already become part of that spiritual body on earth - it's where my obligations and allegiances lie. In fact, it would be very difficult to look to the New Testament and not see the believer's responsibility to the local church.

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bound or free: and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many." 1Corinthians 12:13,14

I am a Christian,I may love God more than alot of people who go to a church.

This is a mind-set, increasingly popular in this modern age, which will encourage you or others to isolate yourselves in direct opposition to what God Himself directs in His word. And while you're correct in saying the church is not a building, the Body of Christ occupies and utilizes buildings, meeting regularly as a family for the purposes of edification, instruction and outreach. The New Testament church is a highly organized affair.

And "my love for God" is clearly manifest in "my love for the brethren." It can be considered, at times, a crucial test.

(Some young people once told me that they needed not be involved in church because they were members of the invisible church. From what I've experienced, these invisible brethren, like blisters, often show up after the work is done. (they also have an invisible parking lot:()

Imagine what would happen, or indeed, is happening, as masses of so-called believers abandon the local churches in lieu of their own, individual determination.

We get our marching orders from the Bible, not from individual, human reasoning.

"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10:25

Lord Bless!
Stephen

Protective Angel
Jan 8th 2012, 04:25 PM
Thank you for your response. As I have said I was not raised in a church going or Christian family.I have not studied the Bible,although I have read alot of it,but I cannot quote chapter and verse as you can.
You talk about building up the church,could that mean bringing more people to Christ? Loving one another, isn't that all mankind? not just Christians or people who go to church.Isn't The Body of Christ, all Christians? All who have accepted Jesus as Saviour? When The Lord speaks of 'The Church' He isn't talking about a building is He? I am a Christian,I may love God more than alot of people who go to a church.
I am not trying to be argumentative,please understand that.I just don't see anything in your answer that makes me want to go to church tomorrow.I can do all of what you said without a building.
Am I the only one who has ever felt this way? I am really seeking help here.
You sound almost like me.
I've studied for years what groups in the world are bad. So much I've wanted to expose them.
For me, It's been what not to do as trying to get to God.
When I found evindence of a certain group that a punished man in the bible was it's founder, I felt then that I was to stop this path. Don't go reading this, it is forebidden knowledge. Knowledge is only to passed on through God.

With that I felt a great relief in my life. Reading the bible like it was going to burn up tommorrow. I feel I need to know all I can that is known through the bible and only the bible.
Church. That answer is a question. Your a piece of God. Like a puzzle piece to a picture. The piece doesn't fit without FINDING IT'S PLACE. For that you must search like a search for good.

If you feel God has led you here. Then go and find your place. God would intend for you to search your way. Along the way think that you will meet new people to share your story. Maybe be CALLED TO THOSE people who YOU FEEL are not as "churchy" as you feel they need to be. We are all CALLED UPON to do something. Maybe ask your Pastor to start you own bible study?

It's seems clear your on the right path. Sometimes the path can be bumpy.

Do what God is leading you into. I used to stop and think about it, but he is right. We just need to listen.

OH AND I'm not sure what church I need to go to, but that fellowship I need to seek out. Maybe were on the internet church.
I'm sure God will lead me.

glazer1972
May 22nd 2012, 07:13 PM
I go because if I don't I feel like I am slighting God.

Withoutfcf
May 22nd 2012, 07:46 PM
In all Honesty the only reason I have went to church was because my mom made me (I'm a teen).. now i don't really go anymore.. I stopped going on sundays and the only reason I go on Wednesday is because i'm in the band..

The reason i don't like church is well this..
I don't fit in and most churches i go to I am very much so an outcast.. I have even been asked to leave because of my "Difference"

I find church on sundays very boring and dead 80% of the time.

Now before people say you shouldn't go to church to have fun blah blah blah..
There is a fine line between Going to church and being apart of the body of Christ.. i have a group of friends i hangout with a lot..we have a lot of fun.. and i get more out of hanging out with them then i do from church..
On top of that i Volunteer at a local Christian music venue and that has been more of an ideal Church than anything..

Worshiping God and reading the Bible is a great thing that i do about every day.. I hangout with my Friends on the weekend(I guess that is my church)

I don't Like going to church..and i Don't want to.

AndrewBaptistFL
May 23rd 2012, 12:08 AM
Why do I go to church?
God's Word says to do so. :)
Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Also, I like to help out in the church and fellowship with other believers.

BrianW
May 23rd 2012, 12:36 AM
Three reasons for me in order of importance.

1. To worship Him and thank Him for His wondrous gift of grace.

2. To hear and celebrate the word and hopefully gain some new insights or remember some I already knew.

3. To fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

These reasons are more than enough for me.

slightlypuzzled
May 23rd 2012, 02:14 AM
It is that Body of Christ in which I can use the gifts God has given me, and worship and serve Jesus Christ who is the head of that body.

1david
Jul 18th 2012, 05:22 AM
Hi Abigail. Our church has two Sunday sermons so I can sleep in and still get there. I am very happy with my church also. I enjoy going to church, and listening to the sermons on Sundays adds to the peace I feel. I was a lost soul when I found my church. It is a big church that takes up a few blocks in our small town. I was walking through there one Sunday morning and saw all of the happy people. I wanted what they had. I soon moved into a group home run by the church and started my studies. I served meals to the hungry and participated in many group studies. It has been a few years now and I am not as involved as I was, but I am still very happy to be part of my church.
David

lovex
Jul 20th 2012, 01:23 AM
In all Honesty the only reason I have went to church was because my mom made me (I'm a teen).. now i don't really go anymore.. I stopped going on sundays and the only reason I go on Wednesday is because i'm in the band..

The reason i don't like church is well this..
I don't fit in and most churches i go to I am very much so an outcast.. I have even been asked to leave because of my "Difference"

I find church on sundays very boring and dead 80% of the time.

Now before people say you shouldn't go to church to have fun blah blah blah..
There is a fine line between Going to church and being apart of the body of Christ.. i have a group of friends i hangout with a lot..we have a lot of fun.. and i get more out of hanging out with them then i do from church..
On top of that i Volunteer at a local Christian music venue and that has been more of an ideal Church than anything..

Worshiping God and reading the Bible is a great thing that i do about every day.. I hangout with my Friends on the weekend(I guess that is my church)

I don't Like going to church..and i Don't want to.

Wow.. I feel so much sadness hearing that you were asked to leave because of your "difference". What kind of Church is that? As a body of believers and of Christ, we are treat others as our brothers and sisters in Christ. Leaving judgment behind, encouraging, supporting, ACCEPTING, and loving those around us. It's things like your personal experience with a Church that really makes me upset. How are we supposed to be the Light of the world, when we look like the world? I'm sorry that you were asked to leave, if you came to the Church I go to, you would be welcomed, appreciated, and accepted for your difference. God made you, He created each quality within you, and I'd be glad to call you a friend.

I too am different. I am very shy and reserved. I keep quiet most of the time, read alot, and dress very differently from most girls my age (I'm 21 and really take modesty seriously). But Christ made me that way, and if other believers can't accept that, then i really question where their heart is.

lor4cat
Jul 23rd 2012, 02:50 AM
I been going with my parents t church since I was born. So I was raised to love church. I learn lot in Sunday school. I believe I go to church to learn more about God and how I should live and also to praise God in worship. Also teach other to follow god and talk to other. God give me a mouth and a voice to speak his word. God created me to worship him in a group place. it does means that it not the only place you can worship, you can worship god with everything you do anywhere you are but church helps you grow stronger. I am a middle school leader at my church and I love it for the most part. they make me feel young again and they are fun to hang out with. Also most of them are willing to learn.

ran131uise
Jul 24th 2012, 10:35 AM
I go to the church because it brings me closer to the GOD. The objective in going to church is to seek to build our relationship with God and others. Many people go to church to fulfill an obligation through some ritual and so are reduced to actions without meaning. Church worship is all about an encounter with God and others that changes who we are. Not going to church on a Sunday morning because you deserve a sleep-in does not explain why you miss church on Saturday or Sunday night. The problem is much deeper than the time of the day - it is a matter of selfishness.