PDA

View Full Version : Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

Luciano Vinci
Feb 5th 2012, 12:42 AM
The ToM has many types and NT symbols. Just wanted to name a few that seem obvious. Please add a few types you see in the ToM that perhaps the Lord has shown you or that you may have been taught.

The ToM furniture:

1. Brazen Alter = The Cross
2. Brazen Laver = Water Baptism
3. Golden Candlestick = Holy Ghost Baptism
4. Table of Shewbread = The Word
5. Alter of Incense = Worship and Prayer
6. Golden Lid = Mercy Seat/Propitiation
7. Ark of the Covenant = Presence and Government of God

Sections:

Outer Court = Born Again/Baptism in Water/Meet Jesus/Evangelical Realm
Inner Court = Baptism in Spirit/Word of Faith/Worship/Intercessory Prayer/Meet the Holy Spirit/Peantecostal Realm
Holy Place = Baptism in Fire/Maturity/Meet the Father/3rd Day and Kingdom Realm

There are many other types, but just wanted to get the ball rolling if anyone out there has done any research on this wonderful picture. The Tabernacle is Jesus!

markedward
Feb 5th 2012, 02:19 AM
Rather than just listing them, could you explain how you're making these connections?

Luciano Vinci
Feb 5th 2012, 04:25 AM
Rather than just listing them, could you explain how you're making these connections?

thought they were somewhat obvious, guess not. ok let me try to give some Scripture.

The Outer Court:

1. Brazen Altar - this was the place of sacrifice, it was the first thing you come to when you enter the Tabernacle. Jesus of course is our sacrifice and His cross is the first thing we come to in our ascent into Him. Christ is our passover Who is sacrificed for us (1 Cor. 5:7).

2. Brazen Laver - this is where the priests washed themselves before entering the inner court. The washing by water points to our baptism in water immediately following conversion (Acts 2:38) There is also the washing of water by the word (Eph. 5:26); and the washing of regeneration (Titus 3:5 and other verses).

These two items are in the outer court. The outer court was for all of Israel. Everyone must come through the altar/cross to be saved. This is where we are introduced to Jesus as Savior. This is why I stated this was the Born Again/Water Baptism realm which is emphasized by Evangelicals primarily, to the exclusion many times, to the other aspects of our continued growth in grace. This is a huge area, that's why there are so many more Evangelical Christians than Pentecostals. While all Pentecostals are Evangelical, not all Evangelicals are Pentecostals. Only the priests were allowed into the inner court.

The Inner Court:

3. Golden Candlestick - in this we see oil, an often type of the Holy Ghost and anointing. We also see light (fire) and life (almond tree) which are further descriptions of Christ (anointed one). I am the light of the world (Jn. 8:12); I am the life (Jn. 11:25; 14:6). In the Candlestick we are introduced to the Holy Spirit Baptism. This is the Pentecostal Realm.

4. Table of Shewbread - bread throughout Scripture often represents Word of God (Mt. 4:4; Lk. 4:4). This is the Word of Faith realm. In this realm the Word of God is alive to those who use the Holy Spirit to help hear what God is saying presently/prophetically today through the written Word. This of course has had abuses since some in the Pentecostal realm rely solely on the Spirit and have no grounding in solid doctrine. We need both Spirit and Truth to rightly divide the bread.

5. Altar of Incense - represents praise, worship, prayer, intercession. These are all ascending up to God, like the smoke from this altar which is a sweet smelling savor to God. (Heb. 13:15). An interesting point, the writer of Hebrews moves this piece of furniture into the Holy Place (Most Holy Place). Perhaps this is the Tabernacle of David restored of Amos 9:11 in fullness; the restoration of praise, worship and prayer to like that of David which included: 1. Mouth: shout; sing; pray; 2. Hands: clap; raise; play instruments; 3. Body: dance; bow; kneel.

Holy Place:

6. Golden Lid - this was called the mercy seat in the OT. In the NT we call it the "propitiation" but it literally means the mercy seat (Rom. 3:25; 1 Jn. 2:2; 4:10). This is where we meet the Father, God the Judge of all (Heb. 12:23).

7. Ark of the Covenant - was the presence and government of God in the OT. Only the High Priest can enter this area. But since Christ is not only our High Priest, He also became a forerunner of many sons to follow Him into this once forbidden area (Heb. 6:20). Now we can come boldly through the rent veil, which is His flesh (Heb. 10:19-22), into the very presence and government of God the Father.

There are a bunch of other types in these items, however, I hate having to read long posts, so I will not make this a dissertation in respect to those who want to read it. ;)

Luciano Vinci
Feb 5th 2012, 04:50 AM
Another way to look at the Tabernacle is through Church history. There is an interesting progression as God has been restoring the years (Joel 2:25)

1. Brazen Altar - Justification (Martin Luther - 1517)

2. Laver - Water Baptism (Anabaptists - 1525)
Sanctification (Wesley - 1738)
Divine Healing (A.B. Simpson -1875)

3. Door of the Inner Court - Holy Ghost Baptism (Charles Parham -1900; Azuza Street - 1906)

4. Candlestick - Deliverance and Gifts of the Spirit (1940's)

5. Shewbread - Five-fold Ministry of Eph. 4:11; Laying on of hands; Body of Christ; (Latter Rain Revival 1947-49)

6. Altar of Incense - Restoration of the Tabernacle of David - Praise and Worship music and intercessory prayer (1950's)

7. Veil - Access to the Fullness of His Glory by the Melchisedek Priesthood (late 1960's)

8. Ark of the Covenant - Full Maturity; Adoption; Divine Life; Restoration of Apostles and Prophets (1970's to present).

Kahtar
Feb 5th 2012, 02:39 PM
LV, have you seen how these 7 furnishings of the tabernacle relate to the 7 feasts, or the 7 patrairchs, or the 7 days of creation? Or the seven millenia, or the 7 letters to the churches? They are all tied together and speak the same things. A pattern seen throughout the scripture. What you have shown above is seen in each of them.

Watchman
Feb 5th 2012, 04:50 PM
Can the outer court also be typical of our bodies, the inner court typical of our souls (mind, will, feelings), and the holy place typical of our spirits?

W :)

Luciano Vinci
Feb 5th 2012, 05:03 PM
LV, have you seen how these 7 furnishings of the tabernacle relate to the 7 feasts, or the 7 patrairchs, or the 7 days of creation? Or the seven millenia, or the 7 letters to the churches? They are all tied together and speak the same things. A pattern seen throughout the scripture. What you have shown above is seen in each of them.

Yes that was what I was looking for. I have heard some of these things but I have not seen them written out. I have however seen the pattern of the 3 major feasts in the tabernacle of Moses. Here are just a few examples:

Outer Court---------------------Holy Place-----------------Most Holy Place
Passover...............................Pentecost.. .....................Tabernacles
Born of the Spirit...................Baptized in Spirit.............Fullness of the Spirit
Common Salvation.................Great Salvation................Eternal Salvation
1st Day.................................2nd Day..........................3rd Day
Jesus....................................Christ... ...........................Lord
Foolish Virgins.......................Wise Virgins....................Watchmen
30-fold.................................60-fold...........................100-fold
Born Again............................Spirit-filled......................Mature
Gate.....................................Door..... ..........................Veil
Baptism in Water...................B. in Holy Ghost................Baptism in Fire
Firstfruits of S.....................Earnest of the S.................Fullness of the Spirit
Been Delivered.....................Being Delivered.................Shall be Delivered
Divine Healing......................Divine Health.....................Divine Life
Natural Light (Sun)...............Artificial (Lamps)................Divine Light (Shekinah)
Walk...................................Run........ ...........................Mount Up (fly)
Love....................................Faith..... ............................Hope
Milk of the Word...................Bread of Word.....................Meat of Word
Way....................................Truth...... ...........................Life
All Israel..............................Priests....... ........................High Priest
Edification............................Exortation. .........................Comfort
Righteousness.......................Peace......... .......................Joy
Myrrh...................................Frankinsce nse.....................Gold
Seek.....................................Knock.... ............................Ask
Brass....................................Silver... .............................Gold
Thanksgiving.........................Praise....... ..........................Worship
1st Anointiong.......................2nd Anointing......................3rd Anointing of David
1st Sealing (Water)................2nd Sealing (Spirit)..............3rd Sealing (Mind of Christ)
Body....................................Soul...... .............................Spirit
Spirit (saved)........................Soul (being saved)...............Body (shall be saved)
Kingdom...............................Power....... ..........................Glory
Altar (swear by)....................Temple (swear by)................(swear by) Heaven
1 Talent................................2 Talents.............................5 Talents
"Not My Will" (1st)................"Not My Will" (2nd)..............."Not My Will" (3rd)
Name of the Son.....................Name of the Holy Ghost........Name of the Father

These are just a few sets of 3's you can find in the pattern of the Tabernacle. There are a lot more, but that would require referencing many differing parts of the Word and putting them together. Mostly all of these listed can be found within the same verse or context of verses. If you need me to, I can provide the specific verses showing these sets of 3's. But most of them are obvious references.

Luciano Vinci
Feb 5th 2012, 05:14 PM
Can the outer court also be typical of our bodies, the inner court typical of our souls (mind, will, feelings), and the holy place typical of our spirits?

Yes I listed that in both orders: as in the whole sanctification of our Body, Soul and Spirit (1 Thess. 5:23). Or in reverse: our Spirit has been Delivered/Saved; our Soul/emotions/feelings/will is in the process of being Delivered/Saved/Renewed; and our Bodies shall be Delivered/Saved/Changed at His Coming (2 Cor. 1:10).

There are so many of these patterns of 3-fold applications in the Word if you look closely. That's why I like your name "Watchman" because it corresponds to that 3rd realm, since both the foolish virgins (no oil/no Holy Spirit Baptism) and the wise virgins (with oil/Holy Spirit) were still asleep at the Bridegroom's coming; but the Watchman never sleeps.

Fenris
Feb 6th 2012, 01:15 PM
Using some imagination, anything in the bible can be tied to Jesus. Whether the Author put such things there in the first place is another matter.

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 6th 2012, 01:27 PM
Using some imagination, anything in the bible can be tied to Jesus. Whether the Author put such things there in the first place is another matter.

You raise a good point Fenris, that of seeking to see something within or seeing that something within is there.... I see more of the later being a christian, but would love to see it through Jewish eyes as well, if I could. Any good reference books on the Tabernacle that is written by a Jewish Rabbi or scholar that is in English and not Hebrew that you could share the title and author? I'm currently reading Rose's Book on the Tabernacle and it's showing the christian comparative, which I appreciate, but it lacks the depth that I know was there that God required and I want to get a sense of how disciplined it must have been to not only comply with the 613 laws, but also to offer daily sacrifices along with weekly, monthly and feast days.

Thanks....

Fenris
Feb 6th 2012, 01:34 PM
You raise a good point Fenris, that of seeking to see something within or seeing that something within is there.... I see more of the later being a christian, but would love to see it through Jewish eyes as well, if I could. Any good reference books on the Tabernacle that is written by a Jewish Rabbi or scholar that is in English and not Hebrew that you could share the title and author?
Hmm I cannot think of any offhand. It is an interesting subject of study although it has no practical significance for Jews at this time.

There are mystical societies in Jerusalem today that study the subject and train Cohen-priests for the time when the temple will be rebuilt.

Brother Mark
Feb 7th 2012, 09:40 PM
The ToM has many types and NT symbols. Just wanted to name a few that seem obvious. Please add a few types you see in the ToM that perhaps the Lord has shown you or that you may have been taught.

The ToM furniture:

1. Brazen Alter = The Cross
2. Brazen Laver = Water Baptism
3. Golden Candlestick = Holy Ghost Baptism
4. Table of Shewbread = The Word
5. Alter of Incense = Worship and Prayer
6. Golden Lid = Mercy Seat/Propitiation
7. Ark of the Covenant = Presence and Government of God

Sections:

Outer Court = Born Again/Baptism in Water/Meet Jesus/Evangelical Realm
Inner Court = Baptism in Spirit/Word of Faith/Worship/Intercessory Prayer/Meet the Holy Spirit/Peantecostal Realm
Holy Place = Baptism in Fire/Maturity/Meet the Father/3rd Day and Kingdom Realm

There are many other types, but just wanted to get the ball rolling if anyone out there has done any research on this wonderful picture. The Tabernacle is Jesus!

Greetings LV. I had subscribed to this thread because I was interested in what may have been shared.

Would you mind taking the time to provide a little information on each of the items you mentioned. For instance, why do you think the brazen altar is the cross? What verses helped you reach that conclusion?

I would be interested in seeing you develop each one of these items if you are interested.

Thanks!

Mark

Luciano Vinci
Feb 7th 2012, 10:55 PM
Greetings LV. I had subscribed to this thread because I was interested in what may have been shared.

Would you mind taking the time to provide a little information on each of the items you mentioned. For instance, why do you think the brazen altar is the cross? What verses helped you reach that conclusion?

I would be interested in seeing you develop each one of these items if you are interested.

Thanks!

Mark

Thanks for your interest. I will list a few of the ways I see the brazen altar as the cross and a couple other truths in the brazen altar. I would also love some input from you and any one else that sees some types I may have overlooked. I love adding to these types (and pretending I thought of them first ;)). (I think you mentioned Pink in one of your posts, his use of types is phenomenal, even for a Calvinist, jk :D)

1. Brazen altar as the Cross of our Savior and Sin-bearer, Jesus Christ. There are actually TWO crosses seen in the Brazen Altar that puts us to death: His and ours. (there are so many verses speaking of the cross as making atonement for sin that I don't feel the need to list each individually)
(a) Matt. 16:24; Mark 8:34; 10:21; Luke 9:23 encourages us to take up our own cross daily.
(b) Gal. 2:20 basically tells us that when He was crucified, we were with Him. His death became our death.
(c) Rom. 12:1 we are encouraged to be living sacrifices, holy and acceptable unto God, which is called our reasonable service (just like a holy and acceptable offering was expected of the sacrifice upon the Brazen Altar)

2. There is only ONE WAY of approach to God. There was only ONE altar for the entire nation, and it was the ONLY place of sacrifice where SIN was dealt with.
(a) Lev. 17:1-9 whoever does not use this ONE and ONLY place of sacrifice is cut off from Israel.
(b) John 14:6 ONLY WAY through Jesus (entrance to the Tabernacle).
(c) Acts 4:12 ONLY NAME by which we are saved
(d) Heb. 10:19-22 ONLY by the Blood of Jesus can we enter into the tabernacle.

3. We see the doctrines of PROPITIATION or SATISFACTION, and of JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH at the Brazen Altar.
(a) Rom. 3:25 PROPITIATION through faith in His Blood
(b) Rom. 5:1 We have peace with God through the sacrifice
(c) Gal. 2:16; Rom. 1:17; Gal. 3:11; Heb. 10:38 Justification by faith in Jesus Christ

4. The Brazen Altar also reveals the Feast of Passover wherein Jesus is seen as the Lamb of God.
(a) Jn. 1:29 John the Baptist clearly identifies Jesus as the Passover Lamb that takes away the sin of the world.
(b) Acts 8:32 Jesus is pictured as a sheep going to the slaughter.
(c) 1 Cor. 5:7 Jesus is called "our Passover."
(d) 1 Pet. 1:18-19 He is called a Lamb without blemish and without spot, the same as was used in the Feast of Passover.
(e.) Rev. 13:8 Jesus is seen as the Slain Lamb.

5. The doctrine of DIVINE HEALING (both from sin, sickness and disease) as part of His atonement is seen in the Brazen Altar.
(a) 1 Pet. 2:24 "Who His own self bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness, by whose stripes we were healed."

In short, Jesus' Cross is not only pictured in the Brazen Altar, but Jesus Himself is the Brazen Altar. Jesus is the tabernacle, as well as all its furniture and pieces.

Brother Mark
Feb 7th 2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks for your interest. I will list a few of the ways I see the brazen altar as the cross and a couple other truths in the brazen altar. I would also love some input from you and any one else that sees some types I may have overlooked. I love adding to these types (and pretending I thought of them first ;)). (I think you mentioned Pink in one of your posts, his use of types is phenomenal, even for a Calvinist, jk :D)

I am going to have to read through some of this and digest it. Can you give me an overview of what the brazen altar is and how it was used within the tabernacle? Now I need to go read up on it before going into the NT verses.

One thing I LOVE about the OT, it will illustrate for us a NT principle. So once we see the picture, then we can understand what the NT is trying to say. BTW, I am looking forward to studying the part about the washings/baptisms too.

Luciano Vinci
Feb 7th 2012, 11:46 PM
I am going to have to read through some of this and digest it. Can you give me an overview of what the brazen altar is and how it was used within the tabernacle? Now I need to go read up on it before going into the NT verses.

It's hard to do this because I don't know what you don't know and need to know, hehe. The brazen altar was basically a large square box (think of a huge barbeque pit) with a grate about half way up from the bottom. From what I have read its dimensions make it large enough so that all the other pieces of furniture could fit in it, thus showing us another picture of Christ and how IN HIM is the fullness, are all the promises, all things consist, etc. (Col. 1:17-20; 2:9; 2 Cor. 1:20)

Its made of wood, again picturing the cross. Layered in bronze/brass which in Scripture often marks judgment, its the place where sin was judged. Its the first piece of furniture one sees as one comes into the tabernacle, and its an unpleasant bloody altar, nothing to look at, like I imagine Our Lord Jesus seemed when He hung for our trangressions on that bloody tree (think Passion of the Christ).

The wood used is "****tim" or "acacia". Its interesting that the root of the word means "to pierce, to flog or scourge; a goad." Jesus was beaten before He was pierced by the thorns on His head and then the nails through His hands and feet. ****tim in the Septuagint (Greek OT) is translated "INCORRUPTIBLE" wood. His Cross, THE TREE OF DEATH, is INCORRUTIBLE, as well as the TREE OF LIFE that died on the tree of death is INCORRUPTIBLE.

There were four horns on the Altar. If you remember the picture of the fugitives running and holding the horns of the Altar and receiving mercy until the High Priest dies. Since we have a High Priest after the order of Melchisadec, with the power of an endless life, He is our priest forever and His mercy endures forever.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. However, if you look up a diagram of the Tabernacle of Moses and get aquainted with the positioning of the furniture you can see some pictures there too. For instance if you stand the Tabernacle on its end, you will see the Cross. When God looked down from heaven He not only saw the Cross in the Tabernacle setting, the the tribes were also set up in formation around the tabernacle as a cross. The bronze feet of Jesus being the Bronze Altar, the Table and Candlestick being His hands, the Altar of Incense being His heart, and the Ark of the Covenant (made of Gold) being His head. (think Jesus in Revelation/Daniel/Isaiah/Ezekiel).

Brother Mark
Feb 7th 2012, 11:55 PM
It's hard to do this because I don't know what you don't know and need to know, hehe.

Assume I know nothing. That's safe. :)

The brazen altar was basically a large square box (think of a huge barbeque pit) with a grate about half way up from the bottom. From what I have read its dimensions make it large enough so that all the other pieces of furniture could fit in it, thus showing us another picture of Christ and how IN HIM is the fullness, are all the promises, all things consist, etc. (Col. 1:17-20; 2:9; 2 Cor. 1:20)

Its made of wood, again picturing the cross. Layered in bronze/brass which in Scripture often marks judgment, its the place where sin was judged. Its the first piece of furniture one sees as one comes into the tabernacle, and its an unpleasant bloody altar, nothing to look at, like I imagine Our Lord Jesus seemed when He hung for our trangressions on that bloody tree (think Passion of the Christ).

The wood used is "****tim" or "acacia". Its interesting that the root of the word means "to pierce, to flog or scourge; a goad." Jesus was beaten before He was pierced by the thorns on His head and then the nails through His hands and feet. ****tim in the Septuagint (Greek OT) is translated "INCORRUPTIBLE" wood. His Cross, THE TREE OF DEATH, is INCORRUTIBLE, as well as the TREE OF LIFE that died on the tree of death is INCORRUPTIBLE.

There were four horns on the Altar. If you remember the picture of the fugitives running and holding the horns of the Altar and receiving mercy until the High Priest dies. Since we have a High Priest after the order of Melchisadec, with the power of an endless life, He is our priest forever and His mercy endures forever.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. However, if you look up a diagram of the Tabernacle of Moses and get aquainted with the positioning of the furniture you can see some pictures there too. For instance if you stand the Tabernacle on its end, you will see the Cross. When God looked down from heaven He not only saw the Cross in the Tabernacle setting, the the tribes were also set up in formation around the tabernacle as a cross. The bronze feet of Jesus being the Bronze Altar, the Table and Candlestick being His hands, the Altar of Incense being His heart, and the Ark of the Covenant (made of Gold) being His head. (think Jesus in Revelation/Daniel/Isaiah/Ezekiel).

OK. I will do some research. What I am trying to do is to see the "shadow" before seeing "Him Who Cast the Shadow". For then, I hope to understand the Casting One better. IOW, I don't want to put my thoughts on top of what is really there. So that's why I am asking. Once I have a clear picture of the brazen altar and what it was used for in the OT, then the NT will make more sense to me. So I am trying not to mix and match until the picture of the OT is clear.

I love google! It helps with things like this.

BTW, bronze can also mark rebellion. Maybe more on that later. Goliath was clothed in bronze. ;) The bronze serpent, etc. (There's a verse in Jer. that spells it out.) Meaning, that our sins were crucified on the cross. :)

Brother Mark
Feb 8th 2012, 12:15 AM
Ok. Reading up on it now. But it brought to mind other questions (like what does atonement mean... in the fullest sense of the word.) One in particular, is why a "burnt offering". The priest was to lay his hand on the animal and it would be for atonement for him. Then he was to skin the bull and put it on the altar and burn it as a soothing aroma to the Lord. Why the fire?

Luciano Vinci
Feb 8th 2012, 02:20 AM
Ok. Reading up on it now. But it brought to mind other questions (like what does atonement mean... in the fullest sense of the word.) One in particular, is why a "burnt offering". The priest was to lay his hand on the animal and it would be for atonement for him. Then he was to skin the bull and put it on the altar and burn it as a soothing aroma to the Lord. Why the fire?

Hebrew for atonement: H3722
כּפר
kâphar
kaw-far'
A primitive root; to cover (specifically with bitumen); figuratively to expiate or condone, to placate or cancel: - appease, make (an) atonement, cleanse, disannul, forgive, be merciful, pacify, pardon, to pitch, purge (away), put off, (make) reconcile (-liation).

One thought of the burnt offering is perhaps the principle that our God is a consuming fire, and He consumes the sacrifice (Heb. 12:29). Maybe the concept of Baptism in Fire is the all consuming presence of the Lord that burns us completely up (Matt. 3:11).

The skin can be a type of the rent veil of the tabernacle, which is His flesh (Heb. 10:19-20). And Paul makes a direct reference to the sweet smelling aroma of His Perfect sacrifice, stating that Christ has given Himself for us as a sweet smelling savor (Eph. 5:2).

Brother Mark
Feb 8th 2012, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the definition of atonement. I am reading on that a little more now.

The burnt offering is interesting. And I have wondered about God being a Consuming Fire and how that plays a role in the burnt offering.

For sure, his body is the veil of the tabernacle.

BTW, I was reading today on the tabernacle. One must first, go through a Gate! Image that! Then, the first thing they see upon entering the gate, is the brazen altar. Going with your typology, one enters through Christ and the first thing they realize, is his death paid the way.

Next, is the Laver for them to cleanse themselves, which IMO, is about baptism. But we are still in the outer courts here.

Question: I think you hinted earlier that the tabernacle appeared to be a cross from the top. That seems a stretch to me. However, when Israel was placed around the tabernacle by tribes, that does appear to be a cross. Can you expound on the view from the top? I was looking on the net and unable to find a view that looked like a cross. From what I can gather, it was a rectangle in shape.

Thanks,

Mark

Luciano Vinci
Feb 8th 2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the definition of atonement. I am reading on that a little more now.

The burnt offering is interesting. And I have wondered about God being a Consuming Fire and how that plays a role in the burnt offering.

For sure, his body is the veil of the tabernacle.

BTW, I was reading today on the tabernacle. One must first, go through a Gate! Image that! Then, the first thing they see upon entering the gate, is the brazen altar. Going with your typology, one enters through Christ and the first thing they realize, is his death paid the way.

Next, is the Laver for them to cleanse themselves, which IMO, is about baptism. But we are still in the outer courts here.

Question: I think you hinted earlier that the tabernacle appeared to be a cross from the top. That seems a stretch to me. However, when Israel was placed around the tabernacle by tribes, that does appear to be a cross. Can you expound on the view from the top? I was looking on the net and unable to find a view that looked like a cross. From what I can gather, it was a rectangle in shape.

Thanks,

Mark

BTW, the Brazen Laver is in the outer court too.

I failed to mention the Gate/Way to the Tabernacle (Jesus - Jn. 14:6; Matt. 7:13-14); the Door to the Inner Court/Holy Place (Jesus - Jn. 10:9); and the Rent Veil into the Most Holy Place (Jesus - Heb. 10:20). Enter His gates with THANKSGIVING, enter His courts with PRAISE, enter the Holiest of All past the veil with WORSHIP. (Psa. 100:4; Heb. 10:19-23).

-----------------------------------------------THE ARK OF THE--------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------OF THE COVENANT------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------MERCY SEAT---------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------IIIIIII --------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------IIIIIIIIIII--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------IIII...ALTAR OF...IIII----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------ IIII.....INCENSE.....IIII---------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------IIII............................IIII------------------------------------------------
---------------------------GOLDEN ------------------------------ TABLE OF-----------------------------------------
-------------------------CANDLESTICK -------------------------- SHOWBREAD---------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ BRAZEN --------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ LAVER ---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- BRAZEN ----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- ALTAR -----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

A crude drawing (which I can't get to look right), but tried to show you the New Man, Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:15).

Kahtar
Feb 8th 2012, 02:22 PM
Mark, it's the position of the furnishings that form the cross, not the building itself.
http://www.jesuswalk.com/hebrews/images/tabernacle_diagram.gif

Brother Mark
Feb 8th 2012, 05:33 PM
BTW, the Brazen Laver is in the outer court too.

Yea. I got that. I just worded it poorly. I was trying to say that we reach the laver while still in the outer courts.

I failed to mention the Gate/Way to the Tabernacle (Jesus - Jn. 14:6; Matt. 7:13-14); the Door to the Inner Court/Holy Place (Jesus - Jn. 10:9); and the Rent Veil into the Most Holy Place (Jesus - Heb. 10:20). Enter His gates with THANKSGIVING, enter His courts with PRAISE, enter the Holiest of All past the veil with WORSHIP. (Psa. 100:4; Heb. 10:19-23).

I am sure it goes deeper and deeper.

-----------------------------------------------THE ARK OF THE--------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------OF THE COVENANT------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------MERCY SEAT---------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------IIIIIII --------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------IIIIIIIIIII--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------IIII...ALTAR OF...IIII----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------ IIII.....INCENSE.....IIII---------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------IIII............................IIII------------------------------------------------
---------------------------GOLDEN ------------------------------ TABLE OF-----------------------------------------
-------------------------CANDLESTICK -------------------------- SHOWBREAD---------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ BRAZEN --------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ LAVER ---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- BRAZEN ----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- ALTAR -----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

A crude drawing (which I can't get to look right), but tried to show you the New Man, Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:15).

Awesome. Thanks!

Brother Mark
Feb 8th 2012, 05:34 PM
Mark, it's the position of the furnishings that form the cross, not the building itself.
http://www.jesuswalk.com/hebrews/images/tabernacle_diagram.gif

So the golden lampstand and the table of shewbread make the "arms". That diagram is useful. Is it to scale?

Kahtar
Feb 9th 2012, 12:01 AM
So the golden lampstand and the table of shewbread make the "arms". That diagram is useful. Is it to scale?
I doubt that it's to scale, but it's close enough to get the idea.

Mark F
Feb 9th 2012, 12:22 PM
Luciano Vinci,

Indeed this is a good thread. I have read up and studied this, some on the internet but the best is a book from M.R. DeHaan. He really connects the dots. I would venture to say that there isn't anything about the Tabernacle that does not point in some way to the person and work of Jesus. I am afraid that there will be few who comment, it seems to me that finding these treasures is not popular or something. Personally I have read books on types of the Lord in Genesis, it is rich in types. I am also cautious to keep them whithin what is clearly reavealed. I find that they are excellent in giving us confidence that the Scriptures are indeed written by God, trustworthy and that everything is there by design.

The Tabernacle can be looked at a picture of the plan of salvation, from the outsider (sinner) the Tabernacle is plain. I do believe the white outer fence, and the brown badger skinned roof was unimpressive to behold. The one outside had no idea of the beauty of the gold and silver implements and design of the inside. The white linen fence was to keep sinners out. Only one gate, of white linen woven with blue, scarlet, and purple threads, allowed entrance to the forgiveness of sin within.

The sinner must pass through the one gate (door) on the east end. Jesus said "I am the door" all who enter must enter through the ONE gate. They come first to the brazen altar, it is there that sins are dealt with, first before proceeding further the sinner must procure the the blood of another to cover our sin.

Next is the laver of cleansing, we are to be washed and seperate, sanctified. Preparing us to continually draw closer.

Next is the table where we fellowship and eat of the word and grow thereby.

We are to walk in the light of the golden candlestick that burns with the oil of the spirit.

We are prepared to draw closer in prayer an be of service at the altar of incense.

And finally we find comfort, rest, and security at the blood sprinckled mercy seat upon the ark of the testimony.

That is just a quick overveiw, (and shallow) but the whole thing can be drawn out very clearly with Scriptures to support it.

The brass poles in the fence, the silver sockets that everything rested upon, the gold covered boards, the colors of the fabric, there is much to learn. I will post more, maybe others will be interested.

John 5:46
For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Luciano Vinci
Feb 9th 2012, 08:47 PM
John 5:46
For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

I wish everyone knew these two very important verses. Its all about Jesus, both Old and New Testaments.

Brother Mark
Feb 9th 2012, 08:52 PM
I wish everyone knew these two very important verses. Its all about Jesus, both Old and New Testaments.

Agreed! I like to ask folks, "Why did John call Jesus the 'Lamb that takes away the sins of the world?'"

John 1:29-30

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
NASU

Think he might have saw something in the OT?

I also like to use Romans and Corinthians.

1 Cor 10:2-6
2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 and all ate the same spiritual food; 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.

6 Now these things happened as examples for us,
NASU

and

1 Cor 10:11-12
11 Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
NASU

and

Rom 15:4
4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
NASU

When we study how Paul used the OT scriptures, it can change how we interpret the scriptures ourselves.

Grace and peace,

Mark

Watchman
Feb 9th 2012, 11:35 PM
John 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.

The OT was all the scriptures in existence at this time...hmmm.

Brother Mark
Feb 10th 2012, 12:24 AM
John 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.

The OT was all the scriptures in existence at this time...hmmm.

Good one! That's right up there with my all time favorite for this kind of thing... the one mentioned above in Luke where it says "Beginning with Moses and all the prophets he expounded about himself and things concerning himself" or something like that.

Gotta give Mark F credit for posting it first though. :)

Maybe we should start a thread on biblical interpretation of the OT and why we don't do it more like Paul and Jesus did. :)

Luciano Vinci
Feb 10th 2012, 03:22 AM
Good one! That's right up there with my all time favorite for this kind of thing... the one mentioned above in Luke where it says "Beginning with Moses and all the prophets he expounded about himself and things concerning himself" or something like that.

Gotta give Mark F credit for posting it first though. :)

Maybe we should start a thread on biblical interpretation of the OT and why we don't do it more like Paul and Jesus did. :)

How about this, when Paul said that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness," there was no New Testament yet, he was referring to Old Testament Scripture.

Brother Mark
Feb 10th 2012, 01:56 PM
How about this, when Paul said that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness," there was no New Testament yet, he was referring to Old Testament Scripture.

Yep. Been told about that one too and it is a good one. What would be fun is to start off with that verse and then endeavor to prove that all Christian doctrines can be found in the OT.

Ever notice how many people want to suggest the NT and OT don't agree?

MaryCage
Dec 1st 2014, 08:54 PM
One of the important types in the Tabernacle is the rent veil. When Jesus died on The Cross, we are told in Matthew 27:50-53 that the veil in the temple was rent from top to bottom. Of course, in the Old Testament Tabernacle, the veil was intact and only the High Priest could enter beyond it, and that only by certain ritual and only once per year in order to make atonement for the people. It was always a temporary atonement, to be repeated every year, and it only covered sin for that period of time. The New Testament fulfillment is explained in Hebrews 10:19, 20 where we find that the veil symbolizes Jesus' flesh, which was rent for all of us. This is NOT temporary, but a one-time Sacrifice and atonement for all sin, never to be repeated. The Great, Eternal High Priest has come and finished the work for the redemption of mankind. Thus, the difference between the veil of the New Testament and the veil of the Old Testament is that the New Testament veil is rent -- by God Himself -- giving access not just to a High Priest but to all who come by faith. Each individual has a veil that stands between his soul and the Spirit. We can only gain access to the Throne of God and the Spirit when our veil is rent, and that comes from faith in the finished work of Christ. Our High Priest ushers us into the presence of God in the Heavenly Holy of Holies. I believe this is a picture of regeneration. It could be set forth the entire Tabernacle is a picture of regeneration, beginning with the entrance into the gate, the brazen altar typifying the Cross, the Laver typifying cleansing, etc. etc., culminating in the entering into the Holy of Holies (presence of God) through the flesh (veil) of Christ. But without the rent veil, all we have is dead religion, i.e. a bunch of facts about Christ without the personal experience of being born again. The Tabernacle is a deep, deep study and one can look only at surface types, or go very deep into them. I have studied it for years and find in it a wealth of truth to reinforce my faith and give me clearer insight in the Word.

MaryCage
Dec 1st 2014, 08:59 PM
Yes. The Tabernacle parts typify Jesus Christ, the Church, and the believer. Also, the Old Testament Tabernacle, with the intact veil, typifies Israel. It is with the rent veil in the New Testament that the individual believer and the Church are typified. Israel is still blind, in that a veil is over their minds. II Cor. 3. The New Testament believer, typified by the rent veil, is regenerated, i.e. become a New Creation.

MaryCage
Dec 1st 2014, 09:08 PM
I think it is because fire speaks of judgement. When a sacrifice offering was brought, the individual for whom the sacrifice was being made, placed his hand on the animal, speaking of SUBSTITUTION. Just as when the High Priest offered a sacrifice for the atonement of the entire nation, he placed his hand on the animal, making it a substitution for the nation. The sacrifice became sin. The animal was punished for the sin of the nation. It became sin. The sin had to be destroyed, burned up, thus the fire.

Kirjathsepher
Dec 1st 2014, 09:51 PM
Yep. Been told about that one too and it is a good one. What would be fun is to start off with that verse and then endeavor to prove that all Christian doctrines can be found in the OT.

Ever notice how many people want to suggest the NT and OT don't agree?

^This^ I think.

The gospel of Jesus Christ was preached to the eunuch in the Chariot by Phillip. He did so out of the OT scriptures, expounding Jesus Christ from the law and the prophets.

Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us

Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

even Jesus said, Moses wrote of me.

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Even the eunuch was sitting in his chariot reading Esaias the prophet. Not Mark, Mathew, Luke or John. The Spirit said unto Philip, Go near and Philip overhears what he is reading and he asks if he understands it he does, Phillip joins him Philip starts RIGHT THERE to preach Jesus Christ to the man, says the place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth... The eunuch asked, because it doesnt say WHO it is speaking of he says, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

The gospel..

And the next verse has him asking about being baptized by Phillip,

Same with Paul,

And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him.

But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ.

Just cant get enough on Christ Jesus love the testimony of Him the scriptures

David Taylor
Dec 1st 2014, 10:13 PM
Yes. The Tabernacle parts typify Jesus Christ, the Church, and the believer. Also, the Old Testament Tabernacle, with the intact veil, typifies Israel. It is with the rent veil in the New Testament that the individual believer and the Church are typified. Israel is still blind, in that a veil is over their minds. II Cor. 3. The New Testament believer, typified by the rent veil, is regenerated, i.e. become a New Creation.

Not a good analogy Mary.

When Jesus rent the veil of the tabernacle in twain, Jesus did it for all men, including the Jews. All of Israel is welcomed in that rending.

Only if they (or any other non-Israelite for that matter), choose to stay in willful rejection of Christ, is a veil over the minds.

However, as Peter told "All the House of Israel" and their children, for that generation onward in Acts 2, if they will repent and believe; their eyes will be opened, and they will receive the Holy Spirit for remissions of their sins.

That's all they have to do. It's been in place ever since the blood was dripping off of the cross at Calvary.

"Church" is nothing more than a grouping term for believers who follow the Lord God Almighty, in the same manner as in O.T. times other different words were used to describe those who faithfully followed the Lord.

Noone who repents and turns to the Lord remains blinded...contrarily, like Paul, the Jew of Jews, Hebrew of Hebrews, Pharisee of Pharisees of the tribe of Benjamin....the scales fall off, when one humbles themselves before the Risen Christ of Glory!!!

MaryCage
Dec 2nd 2014, 06:58 PM
Not a good analogy Mary.

When Jesus rent the veil of the tabernacle in twain, Jesus did it for all men, including the Jews. All of Israel is welcomed in that rending.

Only if they (or any other non-Israelite for that matter), choose to stay in willful rejection of Christ, is a veil over the minds.

However, as Peter told "All the House of Israel" and their children, for that generation onward in Acts 2, if they will repent and believe; their eyes will be opened, and they will receive the Holy Spirit for remissions of their sins.

That's all they have to do. It's been in place ever since the blood was dripping off of the cross at Calvary.

"Church" is nothing more than a grouping term for believers who follow the Lord God Almighty, in the same manner as in O.T. times other different words were used to describe those who faithfully followed the Lord.

Noone who repents and turns to the Lord remains blinded...contrarily, like Paul, the Jew of Jews, Hebrew of Hebrews, Pharisee of Pharisees of the tribe of Benjamin....the scales fall off, when one humbles themselves before the Risen Christ of Glory!!!

I was speaking of the Old Testament people as having an intact veil. It was not yet rent. Of course the gospel is open to all. You misunderstood me. What I wrote is backed up by Scripture. The rent veil typifies many things, not the least of which is the uniting of the believer with God and Christ. That noone remains blind who turns to the Lord is emphasized in II Cor. 3. It seems to me you and I are in agreement. I stand by my analogy.