PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Old Testament book or part and why?

Slug1
Feb 23rd 2012, 07:50 PM
So what is your favorite OT book or which is a favorite part (person, situation, miracle etc) from the OT and... why?

shepherdsword
Feb 23rd 2012, 08:01 PM
Hands down....Psalms!

Because it reveals how God's deal with us.

Watchman
Feb 23rd 2012, 08:19 PM
Hands down....Psalms!
x2! David gives us glimpses into his heart and shows what a living relationship with God looks like...even when it's messy!

W :)

PS: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, and Genesis follow closely behind the Psalms!

Fenris
Feb 23rd 2012, 08:33 PM
Hmm I'm thinking Deuteronomy is my favorite book.

My favorite character is Abraham. The first Jew, and a really revolutionary guy.

Feb 23rd 2012, 09:45 PM
Can we list more than one?

I really enjoy anything to do with Joshua including the book of Joshua. I also like both the book and the character Daniel,

Characters: Joseph, Ruth, Samuel, David, Esther and Noah

Books: Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Genesis, Daniel, Ruth

Very hard to choose. I really like the bible

Hannah
Feb 23rd 2012, 10:21 PM
Daniel and Ruth

ChristianCoffee
Feb 23rd 2012, 10:24 PM
Genesis

Exodus

Job

Psalms

1 & 2 Kings

My favorite OT books.

paidforinfull
Feb 23rd 2012, 11:17 PM
My absolute favorite OT book is Isaiah, and he is also my favorite character.

Isaiah understood God and His will so well, and he loved and obeyed God. He also loved the children of Israel, and continually attempted to make them aware of their sins so that they could repent and return to God.

My second most favorite character is Enoch, because he walked with God.

Hey, come to think of it, I love anyone and everyone who walks with God :).

Saved7
Feb 23rd 2012, 11:58 PM
Ya know, honestly, I've never given that much thought. I know that when I'm starving and need some serious God time, I turn to the Psalms as they often speak what my heart is crying out, when I cannot put it into words myself. I also thoroughly enjoy Genesis, because it really gives so much understanding about the whos, whats, hows and whys. But there is one story in 2 Samuel (I think) that I vaguely remember. It was a story about David and a decision he made for someone who is not rich and powerful. I don't remember much more than that other than to say that in the decision and humility that David showed, it really gave me a glimpse into the heart of our God and how He is toward us, I could see Jesus in this story. I finally understood why they called Jesus the "Son of David". Like Father Like Son as the saying goes.

MoreMercy
Feb 24th 2012, 12:12 AM
Proverbs 1st,
Ecclesiastes 2nd,
All of the books of John 3rd,
Jude 4th,
Amos 5th.

Sorry, I cannot even explain why to myself, they just are.
And in that order too.

Caleb
Feb 24th 2012, 12:37 AM
Like others there are so many, but my favourite is Genesis.

"In the beginning God"

I think Genesis and Revelation are probably the most satanically attacked books of the bible.

jesse
Feb 24th 2012, 03:45 AM
Favorite book is Ecclesiastes.
Favorite character..... tough one.... Samuel.

jeffweeder
Feb 24th 2012, 05:07 AM
Hmm I'm thinking Deuteronomy is my favorite book.

My favorite character is Abraham. The first Jew, and a really revolutionary guy.

How can Abraham be the first Jew, when Judah wasnt even born yet?
:blushhap:

:OFFT:

It was Daniel....then Isiah semed more impressive....etc etc.I love the word of God and im glad they are all together.

ewq1938
Feb 24th 2012, 06:44 AM
How can Abraham be the first Jew, when Judah wasn't even born yet?

lol, true. Even Jacob wasn't a Jew/Israelite only his sons made up what we know as the tribes of Israel.

My Fav. book is Job.

jeffweeder
Feb 24th 2012, 06:58 AM
My Fav. book is Job.

Yes...i can see how this can be a fav. I can make a pretty good case for all of these OT books..
Each one has a place of honour, simply because the Word of God is in all.

Fenris
Feb 24th 2012, 10:54 AM
How can Abraham be the first Jew, when Judah wasnt even born yet?
We can't just have a thread where we post an opinion? Everything has to become a debate? That's great.

MoreMercy
Feb 24th 2012, 11:09 AM
Favorite book is Ecclesiastes.
Favorite character..... tough one.... Samuel.

Woot ! :pp :pp :pp

Realist1981
Feb 24th 2012, 02:35 PM
My favorite book is Job
My second favorite is Proverbs

shepherdsword
Feb 24th 2012, 02:42 PM
We can't just have a thread where we post an opinion? Everything has to become a debate? That's great.

I think most of us understood exactly what you were saying and chose not to split hairs about it. If you want to get technical the NT states that natural circumcision is of the Jew and Abraham was the first one circumcised....so technically,you are correct.

Blessings to you my friend :)

Youssarian
Feb 24th 2012, 04:21 PM
Ecclesiastes is by far my favorite book of the Old Testament. When I moved 1000 miles from my hometown the day after graduating high school, I felt so alone and life seemed so meaningless. Solomon's words sounded so true to me. I also enjoyed the cynical, philosophical style of the book. 12:1-8 is the one piece of Scripture that can send a shiver down my spine. Me and Solomon have similar personalities as well - curious, intelligent, scientific, peaceful, etc.

glad4mercy
Feb 24th 2012, 04:26 PM
I really like the major prophets and the book of Proverbs. It's hard to pick one favorite.

karenoka27
Feb 24th 2012, 05:02 PM
I love so many of the people in the OT. One of my favorites is Hannah in 1 Samuel.
1 Samuel 1:27-28-"For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of Him:Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD."
-In 1986 I too asked the Lord for a child, a son with a similar promise that I would raise him to know and walk with the Lord and one day give him back to the Lord for His purpose
-In 1987, I gave birth to my son and I kept my promise. My son is now in ministry and loves the Lord with all of his heart.

1 Samuel 2:19-"Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year to year.."
-When my son went to college where I gave him back to the Lord...to this day I buy him a new suit coat or jacket every year. ;)

Jemand
Feb 24th 2012, 05:25 PM
My favorite book in the Old Testament is Genesis because it is packed with very many short stories that so beautifully reveal to us the contrast between the character of God and the character of man when he rebels against God and His will.

Jemand
Feb 24th 2012, 05:34 PM
My favorite character in the Old Testament is Abraham because he typifies the man who believed God and received His blessings—the most important of which is the righteousness that comes through faith.

John146
Feb 24th 2012, 06:37 PM
So what is your favorite OT book or which is a favorite part (person, situation, miracle etc) from the OT and... why?I don't have just one, but I would say Genesis is one because I love being able to see how the world began and how humanity began. Those are questions that everyone wonders about and we have the answers to those often asked questions right there in Genesis. Also, when it starts talking about Noah it shows how God blesses those who trust in Him but also shows what God has done to the wicked of this world in the past (destroyed them with a flood) which should serve as a warning about what He will do to the wicked of this world in the future (destroy them by fire - 2 Peter 3).

Besides that, my favorite parts of the OT are the prophecies regarding Christ. I love Isaiah 9:6-7, Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53, for a few examples.

BrianW
Feb 24th 2012, 07:12 PM
This is a hard question because there are so many great lessons and hero's in the bible. It's hard to say I have a favorite book or part but, after letting the question peculate for a bit, I'm going to have to say the book of Judges and Samson.

Why? Because for me it seems to have the message that even a broken or bent person can still be used by God for His glory and that even when we have fallen to the depths by our own fault God can and will still use us and answer our prayers if we call out to Him.

Or maybe my favorite would be the book of Genesis and Abraham. Why? Quite simply Abraham is the perfect example of perfect faith in God. I still pray to have
the faith Abraham displayed when tested by offering up his son Isaac.

rejoice44
Feb 24th 2012, 07:30 PM
THE BOOK OF JOB

It is a picture of the most righteous person needing salvation.

It shows that God is serious about sin. (Job 33:22)

It shows that you can’t be your own saviour. (Job 40:14)

It shows that there is a needed ransom for your soul. (Job 33:24)

It is the first picture of being born again, the rebirth. (Job 33:25)

It shows a repentant sinner accepting God’s righteousness. (Job 42:6)

It is only the second book to name Satan by name, and has more information about Satan than any other book with perhaps the books of Ezekiel and Revelation. (Job chapters 1,2,40,41)

glad4mercy
Feb 24th 2012, 07:37 PM
I really like the major prophets and the book of Proverbs. It's hard to pick one favorite.

I forgot to answer the second part. I think my favorite person in the OT is Daniel, and my favorite parts are the servant passages in Isaiah, and several portions of Ezekiel, including the first part of Ezekiel, and Ezekiel 37.

MoreMercy
Feb 25th 2012, 01:34 AM
Ecclesiastes is by far my favorite book of the Old Testament. When I moved 1000 miles from my hometown the day after graduating high school, I felt so alone and life seemed so meaningless. Solomon's words sounded so true to me. I also enjoyed the cynical, philosophical style of the book. 12:1-8 is the one piece of Scripture that can send a shiver down my spine. Me and Solomon have similar personalities as well - curious, intelligent, scientific, peaceful, etc.
Yay ! "Ecclesiastes" :pp :pp :pp

God bless.

boangry
Feb 25th 2012, 04:21 AM
Genesis it has so many types and pictures. Favorite character of OT um... either Abraham the pattern we have to follow or Samson because of the uniqueness of the Word given to him, it seemed contrary to all previous instructions to Israel and even when all thought Samson was sinning he had the courage to do Gods will, and who has a submissive wife? :-)

IMINXTC
Feb 25th 2012, 11:10 AM
The Psalms seem to speak directly to my daily experience - they never let me down.