PDA

View Full Version : Temple dedication

keyzer soze
Mar 18th 2012, 12:49 AM
Has anyone here every done a study to better understand what this would look like? I mean, that is a LOT of livestock to be brought and slaughtered and a LOT of carcasses and blood afterwards. Isn't the temple inside the city? Isn't that a LOT of livestock to walking into the city at one time? These numbers seem baffling to me...

The Dedication of the Temple

62 Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats. So the king and all the Israelites dedicated the temple of the LORD. 64 On that same day the king consecrated the middle part of the courtyard in front of the temple of the LORD, and there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings, because the bronze altar that stood before the LORD was too small to hold the burnt offerings, the grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings.

Arrow
Mar 19th 2012, 02:45 PM
I have heard there were so many flies in Jerusalem because of the blood, but I have not studied this topic.

quiet dove
Mar 19th 2012, 02:53 PM
Has anyone here every done a study to better understand what this would look like? I mean, that is a LOT of livestock to be brought and slaughtered and a LOT of carcasses and blood afterwards. Isn't the temple inside the city? Isn't that a LOT of livestock to walking into the city at one time? These numbers seem baffling to me...

62 Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats. So the king and all the Israelites dedicated the temple of the LORD. 64 On that same day the king consecrated the middle part of the courtyard in front of the temple of the LORD, and there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings, because the bronze altar that stood before the LORD was too small to hold the burnt offerings, the grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings.

Much of it was burned and then much taken outside the city...I think

keyzer soze
Mar 19th 2012, 02:55 PM
Wow, so they didn't try to salt all this and eat it? The mass of the carcasses would have been unbelievable. Without machinery, sanitation systems, electricity, conveyors, pumping, ventilation, etc... the inside of the temple had to be the worst smelling place around!

AlephTav
Mar 19th 2012, 07:21 PM
Solomon's offering was a one time thing, so it's questionable whether there were this many sacrifices on a daily basis. That being said, many of the offerings could be eaten by the priests, so there was less waste than we might think.

Diggindeeper
Mar 19th 2012, 08:06 PM
Man! They must have been a bunch of very obese priests! :dunno:

AlephTav
Mar 19th 2012, 08:11 PM

I imagine there were quite few priests, as the entire tribe of Levi were considered priests.

keyzer soze
Mar 19th 2012, 08:19 PM
I am not suggesting that they did this many sacrifices regularly or anything like that, I am just trying to paint a mental picture of herding in 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats to get slaughtered. That has to be a lot of blood. If the average animal has 3 gallons of blood in it, that is 426,000 gallons of blood!

Then you have to remember that they have to get the carcasses out of there. The smell must have been unbelievable...

AlephTav
Mar 19th 2012, 08:35 PM
I am not suggesting that they did this many sacrifices regularly or anything like that, I am just trying to paint a mental picture of herding in 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats to get slaughtered. That has to be a lot of blood. If the average animal has 3 gallons of blood in it, that is 426,000 gallons of blood!

Then you have to remember that they have to get the carcasses out of there. The smell must have been unbelievable...

When you think about it, wouldn't this be a pretty effective form of "discipline/motivation"? The majority of the sacrifices required that the person bringing them lay their hands on the animal's head while the process began. If I kne that I would have to do that everytime I fell short, and that I would have to be in an environment where this was happening frequently, I would hope that I would think twice before I committed whatever action would require the sacrifice.

The same thought can be used when thinking of Yeshua/Jesus. My unrighteousness begot His sacrifice. Do I really want to committ a sin that would require that kind of sacrifice?

Blessings,
AT

nzyr
Mar 19th 2012, 09:55 PM
Not really. It's a high protein diet. :)

Diggindeeper
Mar 19th 2012, 10:05 PM
But...all that red meat. They musta had lots of cases of gout....

Brother Mark
Mar 19th 2012, 10:15 PM

Hi KS. I haven't read this story in a long time. I do have a question though. Does it say the sacrifices were killed or burnt? Maybe they were given away. Just asking. I haven't gone back and read it, but if they were all slaughtered, that is certainly a lot!

AlephTav
Mar 19th 2012, 10:45 PM
Hi KS. I haven't read this story in a long time. I do have a question though. Does it say the sacrifices were killed or burnt? Maybe they were given away. Just asking. I haven't gone back and read it, but if they were all slaughtered, that is certainly a lot!

Per Leviticus 3 and 7, fellowship offerings were offered up in smoke, and given to the priest for food.

nzyr
Mar 20th 2012, 12:20 PM
But...all that red meat. They musta had lots of cases of gout....

I don't think they ate a lot of meat all of the time. And I believe kidney disease can sometimes play a role in the formation of gout.

keyzer soze
Mar 20th 2012, 03:45 PM
Per Leviticus 3 and 7, fellowship offerings were offered up in smoke, and given to the priest for food.

Brother Mark, just as AlephTrav states here, fellowship offerings were killed and eaten, etc... Plus they were to be "without blemish" which means these were the finest in the flocks! Amazing amount of animals, this had to be both a site to see and quite a stench!

1 “‘If your offering is a fellowship offering, and you offer an animal from the herd, whether male or female, you are to present before the LORD an animal without defect. 2 You are to lay your hand on the head of your offering and slaughter it at the entrance to the tent of meeting. Then Aaron’s sons the priests shall splash the blood against the sides of the altar. 3 From the fellowship offering you are to bring a food offering to the LORD: the internal organs and all the fat that is connected to them, 4 both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the long lobe of the liver, which you will remove with the kidneys. 5 Then Aaron’s sons are to burn it on the altar on top of the burnt offering that is lying on the burning wood; it is a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the LORD.

keyzer soze
Mar 20th 2012, 03:48 PM
When you think about it, wouldn't this be a pretty effective form of "discipline/motivation"? The majority of the sacrifices required that the person bringing them lay their hands on the animal's head while the process began. If I kne that I would have to do that everytime I fell short, and that I would have to be in an environment where this was happening frequently, I would hope that I would think twice before I committed whatever action would require the sacrifice.

The same thought can be used when thinking of Yeshua/Jesus. My unrighteousness begot His sacrifice. Do I really want to committ a sin that would require that kind of sacrifice?

Blessings,
AT

Well not really. These animals were offered as a fellowship offering, not a sin offering. And even the sin offerings were for UNINTENTIONAL SINS, I am not sure what they did about intentional sins other then stone people. I believe that if I spent 1 week of time back in this time and watched how God's law was handled as well as observed what was going on at the temple, I would have a new appreciation for the law, sin and God's holiness.