PDA

View Full Version : Gambling

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 01:45 AM
What scripture is there concerning gambling, anyone know ?

-SEEKING-
Apr 12th 2012, 02:38 AM
None specifically that I'm aware of?

Heading to Vegas? :cool:

Sojourner
Apr 12th 2012, 02:54 AM

If so, remember: what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...including most of the money you take there. Seriously, Off hand, I can think of no specific Scripture dealing with gambling. Of course, most of the people in the OT and NT didn't have a lot of extra money, so the issue of gambling probably never really came up. Personally though, my conscience would not let me gamble away extra money I could give to the needy or the ministry. 'Course I never have extra.

Sometimes when you can't find the answer to your question in the Bible, you can just ask the Author what He thinks. ;)

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 03:13 AM

Here is the thing.

Me and some fellows play a light game of "quarters" every now and then.
We toss quarters to a line or a wall. Whoever gets closest wins the quarters.

Well this fellow came up and said "Noones gonna say anything so I will, Gambling is a SIN!"

Now I acted a bit hastely and almost without even thinking almost instantly I recalled when Israel tossed "lots" to find out who would get what lands.

And so I said " Are you sure about that ? Because when God divided the lands among Israel they tossed lots to find out who would get what lands". And one of these fellows who was with that guy who said it was a sin said "really ?". I said yes, look it up in the bible, they tossed lots meaning they would draw sticks of different lengths and whoever got the long stick would get the short land.

I was just wondering where do people get the doctrine that gambling is a sin ?

Now in hind sight I thought maybe I acted a bit hastey. I mean, I know some people have a problem with gambling. But I was just wondering where there might be scripture that explains how it is a sin. Of course also I am sure that the money spent gambling would be better used for other things such as helping the poor but we were just playing a little game.

But to be quite honest with you I walk with faith. And this fellow basicly came up and said we were sinning by playing quarters. I am just wondering if I need to take a second look at myself concerning this.

divaD
Apr 12th 2012, 03:28 AM

I just lost 420 bucks gambling about a month and a half ago. Before anyone comes to the wrong conclusion, it wasn't me that was gambling, it was the person I was working for. Instead of paying my 2 days of wages, he used my money to gamble with. How do I know, his ex wife told me so. She knows him better than anyone. I already knew he had a gambling problem, but he has always paid me my wages. He's been hiding ever since, won't even answer his cell phone when I try to call him. So if anyone thinks there's nothing wrong with gambling, try working at your job, then instead of getting paid, your money gets spent on gambling instead, except not by you. Times are already tough enough. I really needed my pay. I mean that's the reason I go to work in the first place

As far as Scriptures for gambling, I can think of one that might fit, at least in my case, and that would be stealing, since this is basically what happened to my expected pay because of gambling.

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 03:42 AM
I just lost 420 bucks gambling about a month and a half ago. Before anyone comes to the wrong conclusion, it wasn't me that was gambling, it was the person I was working for. Instead of paying my 2 days of wages, he used my money to gamble with. How do I know, his ex wife told me so. She knows him better than anyone. I already knew he had a gambling problem, but he has always paid me my wages. He's been hiding ever since, won't even answer his cell phone when I try to call him. So if anyone thinks there's nothing wrong with gambling, try working at your job, then instead of getting paid, your money gets spent on gambling instead, except not by you. Times are already tough enough. I really needed my pay. I mean that's the reason I go to work in the first place

As far as Scriptures for gambling, I can think of one that might fit, at least in my case, and that would be stealing, since this is basically what happened to my expected pay because of gambling.

Maybe it is that gambling can lead to sin. Things that lead to sin we know that Jesus spoke against these.

GitRDunn
Apr 12th 2012, 03:43 AM
Here is the thing.

Me and some fellows play a light game of "quarters" every now and then.
We toss quarters to a line or a wall. Whoever gets closest wins the quarters.

Well this fellow came up and said "Noones gonna say anything so I will, Gambling is a SIN!"

Now I acted a bit hastely and almost without even thinking almost instantly I recalled when Israel tossed "lots" to find out who would get what lands.

And so I said " Are you sure about that ? Because when God divided the lands among Israel they tossed lots to find out who would get what lands". And one of these fellows who was with that guy who said it was a sin said "really ?". I said yes, look it up in the bible, they tossed lots meaning they would draw sticks of different lengths and whoever got the long stick would get the short land.

I was just wondering where do people get the doctrine that gambling is a sin ?

Now in hind sight I thought maybe I acted a bit hastey. I mean, I know some people have a problem with gambling. But I was just wondering where there might be scripture that explains how it is a sin. Of course also I am sure that the money spent gambling would be better used for other things such as helping the poor but we were just playing a little game.

But to be quite honest with you I walk with faith. And this fellow basicly came up and said we were sinning by playing quarters. I am just wondering if I need to take a second look at myself concerning this.
As far as I know, there is no Scripture about gambling being a sin.

Personally, I do not consider it a sin, but as with all things, moderation. What you are talking about is a harmless game with minor amounts of money involved, and while you could say that that money could be put to use elsewhere, you can say that about anything. You could say you shouldn't buy that book, pay for the internet that allows you to get on here, eat out ever, eat anything but P&J since that is one of the cheapest things you can buy to eat, etc.

As to why people call it a sin, I think you will find that a lot of people don't agree with something or were taught something is wrong and decide that it must be a sin, without ever actually trying to find Scriptural support for it.

A lot of things work out poorly if done in excess. It's not that there is necessarily something wrong with gambling, there is just something wrong with how this person went about gambling. It wasn't the gambling that was the problem, it was that he essentially used, and lost, other peoples' money doing it.

awestruckchild
Apr 12th 2012, 03:59 AM
Idk, Zack, I think when we begin to worry or fuss about how we might be "sinning" on the outside, we get focused on the wrong thing, and what we have to do or stop doing. All sin stems from unbelief. To me, this means distrust. Sin=not trusting God.

We aren't focusing on the inside of our cup, but on the outside. I think it's a distraction. If we can focus on whether or not tossing quarters against a wall, playing a game, is "sin", then we are effectively distracted from what God cares most about - what is going on in our inside. All sin comes from inside a man to defile him. If the inside of the cup is clean, the outside just will be as well. However, it is possible to work on making the outside look spiffy when in fact, the inside is full of awful stuff. Do we care what other men see or what God sees?

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 04:09 AM
Idk, Zack, I think when we begin to worry or fuss about how we might be "sinning" on the outside, we get focused on the wrong thing, and what we have to do or stop doing. All sin stems from unbelief. To me, this means distrust. Sin=not trusting God.

We aren't focusing on the inside of our cup, but on the outside. I think it's a distraction. If we can focus on whether or not tossing quarters against a wall, playing a game, is "sin", then we are effectively distracted from what God cares most about - what is going on in our inside. All sin comes from inside a man to defile him. If the inside of the cup is clean, the outside just will be as well. However, it is possible to work on making the outside look spiffy when in fact, the inside is full of awful stuff. Do we care what other men see or what God sees?

I do care.

This is my point.

That man convicted me and my fellows of sinning.

And it dawned on me that this man had been told that gambling is a sin and thereafter he was handed a collection plate.

That is my main point here.

When we go about convicting each other with false doctrines such as gambling is a sin we do so much more harm than we understand.

Christ should not be portrayed any other way than what is within the means of what Christ has said.

Now if I am a sinner then God judge me and I pray forgiveness. I do.

I know the depths of sin which is far beyond what most comprehend.

But the worst of all in this age. is the sin of convicting others as though we were a judge.

The yoke of Christ is not nearly as heavy as so many people have made it.

They make it heavy to suit there own purpose and to bind people in service to men and not God.

divaD
Apr 12th 2012, 04:09 AM
Maybe it is that gambling can lead to sin. Things that lead to sin we know that Jesus spoke against these.

This guy is already a sinner bigtime, not even a Christian. But just imagine if you were a Christian. You hit the nail on the head. It could certainly lead to sin. For example, you come home to your wife and kids except you're broke when you should have just got paid. You were out gambling, but you lost a weeks wages. You can't bear to tell you wife how you lost the money, so you make up a story instead, which leads to lying. I mean there's all different kinds of ways it could go, in which it could lead to sin. Perhaps you're a good gambler and win a lot. Could that lead to sin? I guess it all depends on what you do with all that extra money.

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 04:14 AM
This guy is already a sinner bigtime, not even a Christian. But just imagine if you were a Christian. You hit the nail on the head. It could certainly lead to sin. For example, you come home to your wife and kids except you're broke when you should have just got paid. You were out gambling, but you lost a weeks wages. You can't bear to tell you wife how you lost the money, so you make up a story instead, which leads to lying. I mean there's all different kinds of ways it could go, in which it could lead to sin. Perhaps you're a good gambler and win a lot. Could that lead to sin? I guess it all depends on what you do with all that extra money.

Something I learned about games and gambling along time ago is that someone is going to lose.

Now the biggest sin in gambling is not that it is a sin. It is that your taking someones money who would of otherwise been able to keep it. Losing can be very hard on people. Unless you have developed nerves of steel and your attachment to that money is completely gone your going to suffer when you lose it. Most people never develop such nerves and they will allways be attached to there money and there materials. For that reason when you take someones money when you win there money your most likely going to cause suffering.

ewq1938
Apr 12th 2012, 04:25 AM

Luk_23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Joh_19:24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 04:29 AM
Luk_23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Joh_19:24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

Leviticus 16:8
And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.

ewq1938
Apr 12th 2012, 04:32 AM
Leviticus 16:8
And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.

Yes, casting lots is all through the bible. Nothing is stated about it's morality but it's common sense that if someone gambles too much and can't pay their bills etc, then it's at a sinful level.

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 04:38 AM
Yes, casting lots is all through the bible. Nothing is stated about it's morality but it's common sense that if someone gambles too much and can't pay their bills etc, then it's at a sinful level.

Even so. Your bills are to ceaser not God.

If you serve God then serve God. If you serve Ceaser then serve Ceaser.
But concerning doctrines don't mingle them together, because your causing the unsaved to be ever confused.

ewq1938
Apr 12th 2012, 04:42 AM
Even so. Your bills are to ceaser not God.

So I can gamble away money I promised to tithe to a church?

If you serve God then serve God. If you serve Ceaser then serve Ceaser.
But concerning doctrines don't mingle them together, because your causing the unsaved to be ever confused.

An addiction to gambling is a sin. Responsible gambling is not sinful.

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 04:44 AM
So I can gamble away money I promised to tithe to a church?

An addiction to gambling is a sin. Responsible gambling is not sinful.

Did you make a promise ?
Then keep it.

How is a addiction to gambling a sin ? What scripture did you gain this knowledge from ?

ewq1938
Apr 12th 2012, 04:51 AM
Did you make a promise ?
Then keep it.

How is a addiction to gambling a sin ? What scripture did you gain this knowledge from ?

All of them. Anything can be sinful if it badly impacts your life and the life of others. Example, I should buy food because my children are hungry...BUT, I decide to gamble it all hoping to get rich but lose it all. Kids suffer.

Guess what? That's a sin and no one needs a scripture to prove it.

awestruckchild
Apr 12th 2012, 04:55 AM
Zack, you have heartened me!!
Don't stop.
Take it further - I want to hear!

awestruckchild
Apr 12th 2012, 04:57 AM
When would gambling be a sin?

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 05:00 AM
All of them. Anything can be sinful if it badly impacts your life and the life of others. Example, I should buy food because my children are hungry...BUT, I decide to gamble it all hoping to get rich but lose it all. Kids suffer.

Guess what? That's a sin and no one needs a scripture to prove it.

So rather it is the hope for riches that is a sin ?

awestruckchild
Apr 12th 2012, 05:03 AM
The Holy Spirit just washed through me in mighty, mighty waves!!

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 05:06 AM
Zack, you have heartened me!!
Don't stop.
Take it further - I want to hear!

It is very late and past my bed time. Must be up and at em in four hours.

Zack702
Apr 12th 2012, 05:11 AM

Gambling is not a sin. (in my opinion)

There are only these sins...

To have no faith in God.
To have no love for each other.

Now these two sins are very broad. They spand a very wide spand.
We know the power of love and how far love takes us.
And we know the power of faith and how far faith takes us.

And where there is a little doubt and a little lack of faith there is a space that seams minor but because of the great spand of love and faith it is actually very major.

ewq1938
Apr 12th 2012, 05:13 AM

It can be a sin.

awestruckchild
Apr 12th 2012, 05:13 AM
It is very late and past my bed time. Must be up and at em in four hours.

Have good dreams Zack!
I'll be back tomorrow to hear more on this!

Nihil Obstat
Apr 12th 2012, 05:28 AM
I think gambling is like any other form of entertainment. It costs some money, and can become addictive, and can eat up all your time. Or, it can be a way to relax now and again and have a bit of fun. I work at a grocery store and sell lottery tickets, and when the pot gets really high, I'll throw a buck in just for the heck of it. (I've probably spent $15 my whole life on gambling, by the way.) If it's keeping you from doing what you ought to do (school, work, etc.), or keeping food on your family's table, or bringing you into debt - those sorts of things - then you've obviously sinned in your gambling. That's my take on it, anyway.

divaD
Apr 12th 2012, 05:30 AM

I don't really know myself. I'm 54 years old. If I've spent 20 bucks gambling in all those years, I wouldn't believe it. But that would be on pick 3, scratch offs. I already saw the odds were against me, so I guess I quit while I was not too far behind.

But I have played roulette on my computer tho. I actually got quite good at the game. I've turned 500 bucks into almost 500,000 dollars one time. Too bad it wasn't real money tho. But I wasn't playing it to gamble. It was more like a challenge to me. I wanted to see if I could come up with some strategies to put the odds in my favor. And sure enough I did.

GitRDunn
Apr 12th 2012, 07:03 AM
I don't really know myself. I'm 54 years old. If I've spent 20 bucks gambling in all those years, I wouldn't believe it. But that would be on pick 3, scratch offs. I already saw the odds were against me, so I guess I quit while I was not too far behind.

But I have played roulette on my computer tho. I actually got quite good at the game. I've turned 500 bucks into almost 500,000 dollars one time. Too bad it wasn't real money tho. But I wasn't playing it to gamble. It was more like a challenge to me. I wanted to see if I could come up with some strategies to put the odds in my favor. And sure enough I did.
That sounds similar to those who play blackjack and count cards. A lot of people consider it cheating, but it isn't cheating, it is just figuring out the best strategy to win (it's all math and probabilities and is only related to paying attention to what cards have been turned over). Some of these people (probably not all) could care less about the gambling; it is about the academic/mental challenge of it.

Lefty
Apr 12th 2012, 07:23 AM
I think to believe in Romans 8:28...all things work together for good, etc...depends on knowing God is in control of all things, even trivial things. Gambling attacks that. It reinforces the idea of 'chance'...or areas in life where God isn't really there, and for me, that's the primary problem with it. I think there are degrees though; tossing dice in a monopoly game isn't a problem because you're not really putting your heart and your hopes into the results, but playing the lottery is probably different. It can get to be idolatry.

John 8:32
Apr 12th 2012, 02:51 PM
Gambling is a corruption of casting lots. God used casting lot's to make His will known...

Act 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Just one example of casting lots used for for a holy purpose. Gambling corrupts the sacred use of casting lot's, which is a device God gave to show His will. I personally think it an affront to God to gamble.

Sojourner
Apr 12th 2012, 02:51 PM
Well, as I said, I know of no clear prohibition against gambling in the Scriptures. I think this one is a matter of personal conviction, tempered with discernment and sound judgment. Obviously, squandering large sums of money on gambling that could be used to help the needy would seem wrong to many people--particularly Christians. Is it immoral to spend a few bucks on lottery tickets now and then? I don't think so, but some may take a different view.

Then you have church Bingo night, church raffles and the like, whose proceeds go directly to the ministry. Technically, that's gambling also, though many would consider things like that essentially a donation--not really expecting to gain anything, whether they do or not. What about the Stock Market? When you plunk down money in hopes of making more money--with the element of chance determining the outcome, even that's gambling, by definition. So, I'd say personal conviction, judgment, and common sense are the determining factors with regard to gambling. As the old saying goes: "let your conscience be your guide."

nzyr
Apr 13th 2012, 01:28 PM
When the people who run, operate, and own the casinos know that a certain segment of any population won't be able to stop gambling and yet they gladly take every last penny from them. Knowing this person and their families will have some some really hard times as a result.

nzyr
Apr 13th 2012, 01:31 PM
They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. (Psalms 22:18)

And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots. (Matthew 27:35)

Scooby_Snacks
Apr 13th 2012, 02:24 PM
Hi Zack,

When I thought about your question, I thought about my own opinions, and any scripture references that might give some light to it, but then this morning, (moving away from the O.P.) my thoughts came to the conversation you shared.

Perhaps more important whether to you it is sin or not, but each persons responsibility to others and to The Lord.
It isnt to place oneself under legal restriction, but under submission to the law of love.

“All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.” –
1 Corinthians 10:23

“Beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.” – 1 Corinthians 8:9

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.
1 Corinthians 10:31-33 ESV

Ceegen
Apr 13th 2012, 04:48 PM

I'm going to go with the whole "righteousness and intent, learning to use discernment" thing.

In Matthew 5:30 and in Matthew 18:8, in both places, it mentions that it would be better to "cut off" one of those members than have the whole body die. Yet, in both cases, Jesus was talking about different situations. Likewise, we should "cut off" those things which cause us to sin and lose sight what is truly important. Gambling, like just about anything, can be an addiction; anything that comes between you and God, is a sin. "Cut" it away from you.

Gambling itself isn't a sin, and I suppose in a certain situation it could be used to show us more of God's purpose in life, but to gamble just to win more money could be construed as greedy. If you're "gambling" just to play a game with a friend [like quarters lol], just for fun, I don't think He's going to have a problem with it. Along that same line of thought, we shouldn't gamble in front of people who have a problem with gambling, should it cause them to sin. Keeping these things "out of sight, out of mind" from our fellow human which could cause them to reason within themselves that "if they can do it, then I can too, because it isn't a sin."

awestruckchild
Apr 13th 2012, 06:51 PM
When the people who run, operate, and own the casinos know that a certain segment of any population won't be able to stop gambling and yet they gladly take every last penny from them. Knowing this person and their families will have some some really hard times as a result.

Aha!
So then, is it the gambling that is the sin?
Or is it what is in those mens hearts that is the sin?

ewq1938
Apr 13th 2012, 08:29 PM
Aha!
So then, is it the gambling that is the sin?
Or is it what is in those mens hearts that is the sin?

Both. .

jesse
Apr 14th 2012, 06:45 AM

Although gambling as such does not come up the idea of gaining money by not working is seen as evil. In Genesis 3 Adam was told "by the sweat of your brow you will eat your food".

Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathers by labor shall increase. Proverbs 13:11

In a similar way Israel was forbidden to collect interest from other people who lived in Israel. Also there is the idea of greed being wrong.

He that loves silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loves abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiasties 5:10

And while people in the Bible "cast lots" sometimes to determine God's will, one has to wonder if it was good for the Roman soldiers to cast lots for Christs clothing? When your casting of lots is concluded you may find that it was God's will for you to be broke.

I think it is an overall principal that gambling is a sin.

jesse
Apr 14th 2012, 07:01 AM
Gambling is a corruption of casting lots. God used casting lot's to make His will known...

Act 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Just one example of casting lots used for for a holy purpose. Gambling corrupts the sacred use of casting lot's, which is a device God gave to show His will. I personally think it an affront to God to gamble.

Interesting perspective. Never thought of that.

Lily
Apr 15th 2012, 01:07 AM

There are only these sins...

To have no faith in God.
To have no love for each other.

Well said.

Matt 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul,
and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thous shalt love they neighbour as theyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Neither do I think that gambling is always a sin (though it can be). I agree with others who have said the same here... everything in moderation (unless God is convicting you, personally, not to do it at all).

As you noted, anything we do that's in opposition to loving God and others is sin. If you play a game of quarters and lose a couple of dollars, will it hurt anyone or are you just out some change for soda? Only you know. Your own conscience is your judge. Now the one who gambles his employees wages away or spends money that needs to be spent on food, clothes, shelter, medical care, etc for his family is without any doubt sinning. He is not loving others as he should. I do know others who would consider even losing two dollars in a game as wasteful. They choose never to go out to eat, or spend frivolously in any way, so that they may give as much as possible to missions in countries where every dollar counts.

If I had 50 dollars stashed away for an evening of entertainment, I would not feel guilty about taking it to a casino (I have been maybe 4 times in all my life). If I were to win anything - great. If I spent the $50.00 and its gone, thats fine, too. I was going to spend it doing something, I just chose to go to a casino instead of to dinner and a movie. I would not do it frequently or I might eventually be tempted to spend more than I should, or continue to go more often than I can really afford, or I may be tempted to indulge in the free alcohol and do it every time I went and then start buying it to have at home every night, too, etc., etc.

And that said, we pray our Father to "lead us away from temptation and deliver us from the evil one," so why do we ask to be led away from temptation if we're going to intentionally confront it? I have an uncle, a pastor, who would not play cards, would never drink, would not let his kids go to movies in theaters, wear shorts or go to dances. But it was never because those things are sinful in and of themselves, rather because those things can lead to temptation and then to sin. Now that his kids are adults, he has asked them how they feel about being kept from those things. They understand why, but they wear shorts now, and go to movies, play cards, etc., and neither they, nor he, consider them to be sinning.

And this is the point where one must examine and know themselves well. If I have a glass of wine with dinner tonight, will I want one every night? Will I want another one later after dinner, and maybe another before I go to bed? Will it eventually become a need rather than an infrequent indulgence? If you throw a few quarters and win, will you smile and walk away and never think "I'm pretty lucky, apparently. Perhaps I should buy a few lottery tickets." Would you become obsessed with the thought of possibly winning it and spend more money than you should, and not just once but maybe week after week? I could have a glass of wine with dinner one night and go months before ever thinking about having a glass of wine again. I can go spend 50 dollars at a casino and not go back for years. But that's me. I can't smoke even one cigarette, occasionally, or I know I will eventually, and soon, be buying cartons of them.

Foremost, we must be led by the Holy Spirit. God may convict one person and tell them not to play quarters, that the money that you could spare would be more useful elsewhere and that you're not loving others as you should if you lose even a few quarters in a game. He may not convict another young man and it may be that He is more concerned with his fellowship with those friends than with him losing a dollar or two in an innocent and infrequent game of quarters.

It's good to ask questions like these. Jesus paid a heavy debt for our sins, and anything that might be sinful and offensive to God should be given serious consideration. Not only because we might slight our savior in thinking that anything that might be sinful is trivial, but we must also always consider our witness and whether what we do will glorify Jesus or not. Do your friends see Jesus in your love and fellowship with them as you toss a few quarters, as they would if you're throwing a football, or playing something on the XBox with them? Or do they see a person with a potential gambling problem who professes Christ? Only you, they, and God know. But the guy who walks by and says "gambling is a sin," thereby becoming a stumbling block to those who may otherwise have been innocent is as guilty of sin as Noah's son in exposing Noah's drunken nakedness to his brothers. God is the only rightful judge and we should be just as careful about calling something sin in others, that the Holy Spirit may not be convicting them of (and, therefore, they're innocent), as we are to avoid it in ourselves.

SuperSonicEvnglst
Apr 15th 2012, 03:28 AM
Excellent topic, it seems that most Christians like to stray away from the actual teaching of this subject. I think the most I've ever heard was, "I think Proverbs says something against it..." and that its wrong. That's it. The message boards here actually take on the teachings a lot of Christians would prefer not to. There have been some excellent posts here about moderation, discernment and conviction, intention and motivation, moderate fun turning into addiction and idolatry.

vlad
Apr 20th 2012, 11:46 AM
james chpter 1 vs 12,13,14,15,16 but each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires,then when desire has conceived it gives birth to sin and sin when it is full grown brings forth death . do not be decieved my beloved brethren .

Apr 20th 2012, 11:57 AM
First of all, this is not meant for anyone but myself. I don't have time to go around determining if someone else is sinning, I have my hands full with myself.

So with that caveat, for my personal conviction, I should...

1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

RollTide21
Apr 20th 2012, 01:29 PM
Did you make a promise ?
Then keep it.

How is a addiction to gambling a sin ? What scripture did you gain this knowledge from ?This is a very good example of how Scripture isn't everything. A person who has placed his Faith in Christ has His Holy Spirit dwelling within him and guiding him. In light of the holiness and purity of the Spirit, an addiction to anything of this World is not of God. Scripture doesn't have to specifically condemn gambling. The spiritual instruction found in Scripture...which is founded on the inspiration of the Holy Spirit...confirms that anything that places worldliness over God in priority is sinful.

Incidentally, I would say that a gambling addiction is not exhibiting the Spiritual Fruit of self-control found in Galatians 5.

RollTide21
Apr 20th 2012, 01:34 PM
I think gambling is like any other form of entertainment. It costs some money, and can become addictive, and can eat up all your time. Or, it can be a way to relax now and again and have a bit of fun. I work at a grocery store and sell lottery tickets, and when the pot gets really high, I'll throw a buck in just for the heck of it. (I've probably spent $15 my whole life on gambling, by the way.) If it's keeping you from doing what you ought to do (school, work, etc.), or keeping food on your family's table, or bringing you into debt - those sorts of things - then you've obviously sinned in your gambling. That's my take on it, anyway.Agreed. My "addiction" that I have to watch out for is golf. People might scoff, but when you start forsaking time with family to the point where your kids start complaining, it affects your relationship with your wife, drains your bank account, and can even interfere with spending time with the Lord, it becomes no different than a gambling problem.

Apr 20th 2012, 01:44 PM
Agreed. My "addiction" that I have to watch out for is golf. People might scoff, but when you start forsaking time with family to the point where your kids start complaining, it affects your relationship with your wife, drains your bank account, and can even interfere with spending time with the Lord, it becomes no different than a gambling problem.

Have you ever ridden a road bike. The real kind, carbon frame, RXL wheels, Selle Italia saddle? Had a little trouble with that myself.

vlad
Apr 21st 2012, 03:09 AM
what the verses are saying that i posted is that gambling leads to other sins such as getting in debt ,not paying bills ,then it lead to telling lies ,lieing to your family,girlfriend wife and so on and so on .i know people who have had houses cars a wife and children and lost evrything to gambling ,the house lost,the wife lost ,the kids lost it is not only you who will be hurt but also the wons around you that love you and trust you and relly on you .

danygib
Feb 13th 2014, 11:14 AM
Gambling addiction is no joke, as it's estimated to cost the nation as billions of dollars per year. More states are permitting legal gambling and though the habit is okay in moderation and when done for fun, but people who get addicted are doing damage to themselves and to others.

Post Edited by BrianW: Link deleted

cuban
Feb 13th 2014, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't have seen this unless it was bumped.

I love poker, but the venues where gambling is practiced are cesspools of sin where no Christian should feel comfortable in, IMO.

Not to mention the deception involved in games of chance where the aim is to take another's money, I believe the Lord would have us spend our time more productively. :)

Also I've seen numerous references here to the casting of lots.
The casting of lots is not comparable to gambling, because the participants never put anything on the line of their own which is at risk.

God bless.

Slug1
Feb 13th 2014, 07:09 PM
What scripture is there concerning gambling, anyone know ?I would say that any scripture dealing with "stewardship" concerns the topic of gambling. When gambling controls, then we are into scriptures dealing with idolatry and sin.

CorpusDelicti
Feb 15th 2014, 11:11 PM
Actually there is a scripture which deals with gambling: Isa 65:11 tells us of men who set a table for the god of Good Luck and filling up mixed wine for god of Destiny. All gambling is associated with "luck" or "destiny". God's judgement on those who carry on in a course of gambling have God's condemnation. Isa 65:12 (ASV) "I will destine you to the sword, and ye shall bow down to the slaughter; because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but ye did that which was evil in mine eyes, and chose that wherein I delighted not."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Bnjmn
Feb 16th 2014, 01:26 PM
I was listening to a sermon the other day that equated gambling with stealing. Taking/winning what is not yours.

The problem with that thought, IMO is the other person (victim) is a willing participant. Might also fall into the 10 Commandment of Coveting what is not yours?

Bnjmn
Feb 16th 2014, 01:27 PM
Gambling addiction is no joke, as it's estimated to cost the nation as billions of dollars per year. More states are permitting legal gambling and though the habit is okay in moderation and when done for fun, but people who get addicted are doing damage to themselves and to others.

Post Edited by BrianW: Link deleted

No, its not. I have a great friend who spent time in prison because of his addiction. He did things he should not have done to get money to pay for his addiction.

Francis Drake
Feb 16th 2014, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by danygib

No, its not. I have a great friend who spent time in prison because of his addiction. He did things he should not have done to get money to pay for his addiction.

Its not as easy as that, nor as black and white as that.

What about a buying shares in a business. If people did not invest in other people's businesses, they wouldn't have the money to do the work. The investor is effectively gambling.

What about a farmer trying out a new crop for the first time. He is gambling on the right weather and soil conditions and his own ability to produce a good crop.

In my manufacturing business, when I developed a new product, it was a gamble whether it paid off, or lost me money.

There is a fine line between gambling and normal business practices.

I am not saying business is gambling, but it verges on it in many ways. I

WITDNM
Feb 17th 2014, 10:55 AM
Its not as easy as that, nor as black and white as that.

What about a buying shares in a business. If people did not invest in other people's businesses, they wouldn't have the money to do the work. The investor is effectively gambling.

What about a farmer trying out a new crop for the first time. He is gambling on the right weather and soil conditions and his own ability to produce a good crop.

In my manufacturing business, when I developed a new product, it was a gamble whether it paid off, or lost me money.

There is a fine line between gambling and normal business practices.

I am not saying business is gambling, but it verges on it in many ways. I

Gambling always involves risk taking, but risk taking is not always gambling. Risk taking is not sinful. In the parable of the talents the two servants, who invested their talents in commerce, were rewarded. The one who took no risk and buried his talent was punished.

A sin that has been hinted at in other replies is covetousness. Covetousness is the desire to have that which belongs to someone else. When you are willing to put your 'talents' at risk in order to get the 'talents' of someone else, you may very well be guilty of coveting.