PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: First Priority

Echoes
Jun 12th 2012, 01:28 AM
Hey guys my name is Jonathan. I'm still in high school, and am planning to go into the ministry after graduation. I grew up in a
private christian school all my life and, because of financial issues, transferred to a horrible public school. However, I managed to
find a group that meets at lunch called First Priority (http://www.fpofamerica.com/). This was a little bit of a relief...But then things began to change for me. I
realized that many of the kids in this, unlike me, went through something horrific to turn them to Christ. I never went through anything horrible to be honest, and seeing these kids talk about the evil literally coming out of them, and visions, sort of...shuns me away. I know everyone has their own experience, but is there a certain point when a person can become obsessed? I have always had that longing to read and study the Bible, yet seeing people like this makes me a little upset and I don't know why. I was just wondering if anyone has advice for me to get around this "hill" of mine?
Because of this, I have sort of walked away from God, yet I have this longing to learn more...Sort of like the parable of the sower (Mathew 13), I feel I am the seed that fell among the "Stony places".

Reynolds357
Jun 12th 2012, 01:37 AM
Hey guys my name is Jonathan. I'm still in high school, and am planning to go into the ministry after graduation. I grew up in a
private christian school all my life and, because of financial issues, transferred to a horrible public school. However, I managed to
find a group that meets at lunch called First Priority (http://www.fpofamerica.com/). This was a little bit of a relief...But then things began to change for me. I
realized that many of the kids in this, unlike me, went through something horrific to turn them to Christ. I never went through anything horrible to be honest, and seeing these kids talk about the evil literally coming out of them, and visions, sort of...shuns me away. I know everyone has their own experience, but is there a certain point when a person can become obsessed? I have always had that longing to read and study the Bible, yet seeing people like this makes me a little upset and I don't know why. I was just wondering if anyone has advice for me to get around this "hill" of mine?
Because of this, I have sort of walked away from God, yet I have this longing to learn more...Sort of like the parable of the sower (Mathew 13), I feel I am the seed that fell among the "Stony places".

Welcome! The information you gave about the reason you dislike first priority is a bit vague. Maybe some specifics would be helpful.
I also went to Christian school and transferred to public school in 8th grade. I also found it to be a bit of culture shock, but if anything, it only made my relationship with The Lord stronger.

Echoes
Jun 12th 2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! The thing is I love First Priority and everything its about. The people in it however I have a hard time relating with. Recently there was a girl who had said she was in church and she started screaming, and had to be carried out. She mentioned she felt pain coming out of her, and believed it was a demon of some sort. I know maybe this sounds a little awkward, but I felt like I was going crazy once I heard that. When I came to Christ, it was through "confirmation" at Christ Church Methodist Church. I never went through anything horrible to turn me to Christ, but because of that I doubt sometimes I truly accepted him. I've heard terms before like "Backsliding", but I don't really know what to do.
:hmm:

Old man
Jun 12th 2012, 02:05 AM
I can relate to you somewhat. I came to know the Lord through my older brother there was no great experience nothing dynamic. In fact I did it only to please my brother but God took me at my word. Although the next few years I didn't really walk with Christ I can look back and see Him directing me to avoid things I was heading into like drinking and sex and drugs etc. Even though I wanted to go that direction it seems at the last minute He would change my heart to keep me out of it. I cannot testify how God delivered me from astounding issues but I can testify of how faithful He was to me to keep me from those things that would have destroyed me. It is not about us and our testimonies of mind boggling deliverance. It is all about Him, His love for us regardless of our background. I read a book called "Reese Howells Intercessor." To me Reese Howells was almost perfect and sinless yet he did have a sin in his "ambition." His ambition was more important to him than God. That may not seem much to us but it was enough to cause separation from God. Once he repented God used him in extraordinary ways. It really is all about Christ and Him only. He will use you no matter what your background is dynamic or not, He will use you if you are available to be used. That is the only criteria.

Raybob
Jun 12th 2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! The thing is I love First Priority and everything its about. The people in it however I have a hard time relating with. Recently there was a girl who had said she was in church and she started screaming, and had to be carried out. She mentioned she felt pain coming out of her, and believed it was a demon of some sort. I know maybe this sounds a little awkward, but I felt like I was going crazy once I heard that. When I came to Christ, it was through "confirmation" at Christ Church Methodist Church. I never went through anything horrible to turn me to Christ, but because of that I doubt sometimes I truly accepted him. I've heard terms before like "Backsliding", but I don't really know what to do.
:hmm:

I believe all that really matters is, do you live by faith in Him? Do you let the spirit of truth guide you in all things, decisions, in your life? If you live by His spirit and always call on Him whenever you're tempted to follow a different spirit, that's all that really matters, IMO.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(Joh 16:13)