PDA

View Full Version : Amen to this beautiful truth

Noonzie
Jun 18th 2012, 11:53 PM
"Whatever your circumstances are, you need not be afraid to come to such a Savior as this. Be you never so wicked a creature, here is worthiness enough; be you never so poor, and mean, and ignorant a creature, there is no danger of being despised, for though he be so much greater than you, he is also immensely more humble than you. Any one of you that is a father or mother, will not despise one of your own children that comes to you in distress: much less danger is there of Christ's despising you, if you in your heart come to him."

Edwards, Jonathan. The Excellency of Christ

PJW
Jun 19th 2012, 03:09 AM
I thank God for having made a way to live on earth in such a manner as to be always obedient to Jesus.

claybevan
Jun 19th 2012, 01:24 PM
"Whatever your circumstances are, you need not be afraid to come to such a Savior as this. Be you never so wicked a creature, here is worthiness enough; be you never so poor, and mean, and ignorant a creature, there is no danger of being despised, for though he be so much greater than you, he is also immensely more humble than you. Any one of you that is a father or mother, will not despise one of your own children that comes to you in distress: much less danger is there of Christ's despising you, if you in your heart come to him."

Edwards, Jonathan. The Excellency of Christ

Amen and some more

That's one of the reasons I believe we as christians have a duty to be 'real' so that others might see that we are not perfect just forgiven. I once spoke to a guy about salvation and he replied, " but you're so good, I have done way too much to be forgiven"
Had I given him that impression? I hadn't thought so but that's how he saw it. Not saying we have to keep sinning to make others feel that they too can enter, of course not but I heard my son's girlfriend ( a newly born again christian } say, " it makes me mad when I hear so much criticism of homosexuals, let's get them in first and then help them to see the truth" it made me think, yes she has a point they won't even think they can be saved if we put so much
emphasis on some sins, they will think they are beyond Gods capabilities and as Jonathan Edwards said, it aint so :pp

PJW
Jun 20th 2012, 03:37 AM
Amen and some more

That's one of the reasons I believe we as christians have a duty to be 'real' so that others might see that we are not perfect just forgiven. I once spoke to a guy about salvation and he replied, " but you're so good, I have done way too much to be forgiven"
Had I given him that impression? I hadn't thought so but that's how he saw it. Not saying we have to keep sinning to make others feel that they too can enter, of course not but I heard my son's girlfriend ( a newly born again christian } say, " it makes me mad when I hear so much criticism of homosexuals, let's get them in first and then help them to see the truth" it made me think, yes she has a point they won't even think they can be saved if we put so much
emphasis on some sins, they will think they are beyond Gods capabilities and as Jonathan Edwards said, it aint so :pp

You can't be "in Christ" and "in sin" at the same time. Only those who have turned from sin will be counted worthy of the kingdom of heaven.

-SEEKING-
Jun 20th 2012, 03:47 AM
You can't be "in Christ" and "in sin" at the same time. Only those who have turned from sin will be counted worthy of the kingdom of heaven.

It's the PJW party. Oh yeah. Keep struttin dude.

claybevan
Jun 20th 2012, 01:53 PM

That's me doomed then, to think I have been taken in by verses like this

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. (NIV)

and this...
He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins - Ephesians 1:7

All those empty churches, I guess someone will find a use for them.

PJW
Jun 21st 2012, 02:48 AM
That's me doomed then, to think I have been taken in by verses like this

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. (NIV)

and this...
He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins - Ephesians 1:7

All those empty churches, I guess someone will find a use for them.

In verse 23 Paul writes of the "law of sin". We know that he is writing of a "past" time because in Romans 8:2 Paul says, "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath MADE ME FREE FROM THE LAW OF SIN and death."
If Paul is free from the law if sin, why do folks keep insisting that Paul is a sinner?
"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24) I think that Paul was Christ's.
A building does not make a church, as a church is the body of Christ. "We are members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones." (Eph 5:30) There is no sin in Christ's body.

claybevan
Jun 21st 2012, 06:27 PM

Good evenin' PJW
Does this mean that now you are in Christ you no longer fall from grace?
My life is a constant ' fall and repent, I doubt wether there is one day that goes by where I don't fall short of His Glory but if I confess my sins he will forgive me.
Perhaps I have misunderstood what you mean?

Noonzie
Jun 21st 2012, 11:11 PM

no one is considered worthy. grace isn't about what we do, but what Christ has done. as a Christian you still have a human nature born in sin. before the Holy Spirit lives at your conversion, you are a slave to sin and have no ability to not sin. When you are converted, you are now reconciled and justified through the work of Christ. God sees you as justified and treats you as so. We are being conformed into the image of Christ. You are not immediately without anymore sinful actions. Why does is say being conformed? Because your salvation isn't attached to you being a sinless being for the rest of your life. The work of God in your life is that you may now eagerly seek to be like Christ, where as before you could not. We must trust and rely on the righteousness of Christ.

PJW
Jun 22nd 2012, 02:32 AM
Good evenin' PJW
Does this mean that now you are in Christ you no longer fall from grace?
My life is a constant ' fall and repent, I doubt wether there is one day that goes by where I don't fall short of His Glory but if I confess my sins he will forgive me.
Perhaps I have misunderstood what you mean?

Claybevan,
You understood me perfectly.
My old sinful "self" has been crucified with Christ. (Ro 6:6)
"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
My new "self" is born of incorruptible seed, (1 Peter 1:23), and "a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit". (Matt 7:15-18)
True repentance is a one time event. (2 Cor 7:10)
What is the first commandment? Love God above everything else. A sinner manifests that they love something else more than they love God every time they sin.
What is the second commandment? Love your neighbor as you love yourself. If you do evil to one of God's other children, you're not just hurting that child of God, you are offending God Himself.
I beseech you to make your repentance real. Remember, "God heareth not sinners." (Jo 9:31) A truely repentant person is a non-sinner.

PJW
Jun 22nd 2012, 03:08 AM
no one is considered worthy. grace isn't about what we do, but what Christ has done. as a Christian you still have a human nature born in sin. before the Holy Spirit lives at your conversion, you are a slave to sin and have no ability to not sin. When you are converted, you are now reconciled and justified through the work of Christ. God sees you as justified and treats you as so. We are being conformed into the image of Christ. You are not immediately without anymore sinful actions. Why does is say being conformed? Because your salvation isn't attached to you being a sinless being for the rest of your life. The work of God in your life is that you may now eagerly seek to be like Christ, where as before you could not. We must trust and rely on the righteousness of Christ.

Noonzie,
You are right, to a point. Before Jesus' atoning sacrifice for us, nobody was worthy of the grace of God, but now that we can be re-born, of the seed of God, we are worthy. We are God's children and "He (Jesus) is not ashamed to call them brethren". (Heb 2:11) God will keep shedding that grace on us till we prove we are not worthy of it. Then you are on your own.
If we love God and Jesus and His children, why would we ever sin again? Sin is the manifestation of loving something else more than you love God.
I can't find "being conformed" in my bible. I see, "For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Ro 8:29) I also see, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God. (Ro 12:2) My mind was transformed when I was born again. I am a new creature. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, ALL THINGS ARE BECOME NEW." (2 Cor 5:17)
If you still bring forth evil fruit, you are from an corrupt tree. (Matt 7:18)

awestruckchild
Jun 22nd 2012, 03:11 AM

I don't like this and your previous post.
Something is out of whack here.
The homosexual must turn from his sin before he can come to Christ, but you who have come to Him are okay to still have "sinful actions?"
When we come to Christ, we are turning from the sin of unbelief. Period.
We don't really have any IDEA what "sin" is when we come to Him.
I think if we had any idea of just how deep and disgusting it runs inside of us at that point, we wouldn't DARE to come to Him.
There is a deep fissure here in these two posts.
Something is crooked...

awestruckchild
Jun 22nd 2012, 03:18 AM
oops!
I quoted the wrong person.
I meant to quote PJW.
Sorry!
Post #2 is a paraphrase of: Thank you Lord that I am not a sinner like these other men.
The other post is that homosexuals cannot come to Christ in their sin just like any other man in a sin.
We don't stop sinning and then come to Him.
We come to Him because we ARE sinners who need His saving.
The sin we turn from when we turn toward Him is the sin of unbelief.
Then, we come into a bible forum and start threads like:
Is it a sin to get a tattoo?
Is smoking a sin?
Am I sinning when I watch Die Hard?
This just shows that we don't understand WHAT sin is when we come to Him.

claybevan
Jun 22nd 2012, 10:36 AM
Claybevan,
"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
My new "self" is born of incorruptible seed, (1 Peter 1:23), and "a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit". (Matt 7:15-18)
What is the first commandment? Love God above everything else. A sinner manifests that they love something else more than they love God every time they sin.
What is the second commandment? Love your neighbor as you love yourself. If you do evil to one of God's other children, you're not just hurting that child of God, you are offending God Himself.
I beseech you to make your repentance real. Remember, "God heareth not sinners." (Jo 9:31) A truely repentant person is a non-sinner.

I'm a tryin PJW
but the reason why Paul saw himself as a sinner was because he wasn't Jesus. We are graciously hidden in Christ's perfect self but it doesn't mean that we do not sin still.
Just saying that we are without sin in my mind is a sin .
Where is the man or women that can stand up and say that they don't? we don't want to but we do!
If you walk so closely with the Lord PJW that you never have even a thought the isn't sinful then I stand in awe, I'm just not there yet.
I hanging on in though because He Is gracious:pp
And it is in our weakness that HIS strength is made known.
I hope that I can call myself your sister in Christ.
mari :hug:

claybevan
Jun 22nd 2012, 10:40 AM
I don't like this and your previous post.
Something is out of whack here.
The homosexual must turn from his sin before he can come to Christ, but you who have come to Him are okay to still have "sinful actions?"
When we come to Christ, we are turning from the sin of unbelief. Period.
We don't really have any IDEA what "sin" is when we come to Him.
I think if we had any idea of just how deep and disgusting it runs inside of us at that point, we wouldn't DARE to come to Him.
There is a deep fissure here in these two posts.
Something is crooked...
Sorry awestruck, was it my post you didn't like?

claybevan
Jun 22nd 2012, 11:10 AM
I've done it again and I've only been up a few hours! just walked outside and found that someone has 'keyed' my car.
My first thought wasn't ' Jesus Loves them' no it wasn't.
I think I'm getting Christian knee to go alongside my housemaids knee and my tennis elbow :(

awestruckchild
Jun 22nd 2012, 06:37 PM
No clatbevan, it was not your post that bothered me.
I posted that it was a mistake, in my next post. Sorry sis.
I was thinking your post was another by PJW and could not reconcile the two, but the reason I couldn't is that they were from two different people!
What bothered me was the notion we seem to have that a homosexual cannot come to God in his sin just as we have come to Him in our sin.
I agree with you. Get them to GO to God instead of hindering them by saying they must stop all "sin" in order to come to Him.
That isn't how it works, and we darn well know it, don't we?
We don't change our behavior - HE does, after we come to Him.
We give the impression that He does not welcome sinners, when that is EXACTLY what He does.
Now if they were to ask if their behavior is a sin, the answer should be - yes, God says it is. God says it is a sexual sin. But God also says even having a thought is a sexual sin, so no man cannot say he has no sin in this. He has shut every mouth (or should have) in regards to this.
Some have sins that are apparent and some have sins that are hidden. All will come to light for every man to see. At that time, these sins will not be ranked and every mouth will not dare to speak just as no mouth dared to speak when Jesus peered inside of each man.
This was what was apparent to those who wanted to stone the woman for a sexual sin. This is why they all fell away and no one was left to cast the first stone.
You who condemn others, why do you do the same thing?
That is what we will hear.
Why did you hinder them from coming to me?
Now as far as men deciding that those with apparent sins not be allowed in the doors of their building, that is their decision to make, and God will be the judge of whether it was right or wrong.
But as for telling a man he cannot come to Jesus unless he stops sinning first, as amazzin' would say, shame, shame, shame. None of us went to Him in this way. We fell down in shock and severe distress and began pleading and we didn't dare to stand until He picked us back up. THEN He began His wonderful work in each of us!!!

claybevan
Jun 22nd 2012, 06:44 PM
No clatbevan, it was not your post that bothered me.
I posted that it was a mistake, in my next post. Sorry sis.
I was thinking your post was another by PJW and could not reconcile the two, but the reason I couldn't is that they were from two different people!
What bothered me was the notion we seem to have that a homosexual cannot come to God in his sin just as we have come to Him in our sin.
I agree with you. Get them to GO to God instead of hindering them by saying they must stop all "sin" in order to come to Him.
That isn't how it works, and we darn well know it, don't we?
We don't change our behavior - HE does, after we come to Him.
We give the impression that He does not welcome sinners, when that is EXACTLY what He does.
Now if they were to ask if their behavior is a sin, the answer should be - yes, God says it is. God says it is a sexual sin. But God also says even having a thought is a sexual sin, so no man cannot say he has no sin in this. He has shut every mouth (or should have) in regards to this.
Some have sins that are apparent and some have sins that are hidden. All will come to light for every man to see. At that time, these sins will not be ranked and every mouth will not dare to speak just as no mouth dared to speak when Jesus peered inside of each man.
This was what was apparent to those who wanted to stone the woman for a sexual sin. This is why they all fell away and no one was left to cast the first stone.
You who condemn others, why do you do the same thing?
Why did you hinder them from coming to me?
Now as far as men deciding that those with apparent sins not be allowed in the doors of their building, that is their decision to make, and God will be the judge of whether it was right or wrong.
But as for telling a man he cannot come to Jesus unless he stops sinning first, as amazzin' would say, shame, shame, shame. None of us went to Him in this way. We fell down in shock and severe distress and began pleading and we didn't dare to stand until He picked us back up. THEN He began His wonderful work in each of us!!!
Tis a Mystery that we can be so loved.
:hug: and another :hug:

awestruckchild
Jun 22nd 2012, 06:45 PM
Tis a Mystery that we can be so loved.
:hug: and another :hug:

Two regular human hugs equal one elephant hug...:hug::hug:

PJW
Jun 23rd 2012, 02:49 AM
I'm a tryin PJW
but the reason why Paul saw himself as a sinner was because he wasn't Jesus. We are graciously hidden in Christ's perfect self but it doesn't mean that we do not sin still.
Just saying that we are without sin in my mind is a sin .
Where is the man or women that can stand up and say that they don't? we don't want to but we do!
If you walk so closely with the Lord PJW that you never have even a thought the isn't sinful then I stand in awe, I'm just not there yet.
I hanging on in though because He Is gracious:pp
And it is in our weakness that HIS strength is made known.
I hope that I can call myself your sister in Christ.
mari :hug:

Jesus said, "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." Then He said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." (Jo 8:32, 34)
Your response says that "nobody can be free of sin".
"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin because he is born of God." "In this the children of God are manifest..." (1Jo 3:9-10)
If you were my sister in Christ, we would both be non-sinners. God, in me, has overcome any weakness I once had to temptation.

EarlyCall
Jun 23rd 2012, 10:49 AM
Claybevan,

True repentance is a one-time event? Can you help me understand something? If a person is saved and then later backslides, can they go to Christ for forgiveness for their backsliding? And if so, what would they be doing if not repenting again?

Since being saved, have you ever sinned? And when you did sin, did you ask for forgiveness? Would that be considered repentance - at least for that sin?

-SEEKING-
Jun 23rd 2012, 11:19 AM
If you were my sister in Christ, we would both be non-sinners.

Wow. Loving your neighbor at it's finest.

EarlyCall
Jun 23rd 2012, 11:35 AM
Jesus said, "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." Then He said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." (Jo 8:32, 34)
Your response says that "nobody can be free of sin".
"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin because he is born of God." "In this the children of God are manifest..." (1Jo 3:9-10)
If you were my sister in Christ, we would both be non-sinners. God, in me, has overcome any weakness I once had to temptation.

How do you explain, in light of all you have said in this thread, when we are told that if we do sin, we have an advocate with the Father who speaks in our defense. Is this referring to the lost or the saved in Christ?

claybevan
Jun 23rd 2012, 10:32 PM
Two regular human hugs equal one elephant hug...:hug::hug:
Who you calling an elephant...;)

awestruckchild
Jun 24th 2012, 12:25 AM
Who you calling an elephant...;)

It was private joke that was apparently SO private that you didn't get it!!:lol:
I was sure I saw you in JeanneD's elephant hug thread.....

PJW
Jun 24th 2012, 02:46 AM
How do you explain, in light of all you have said in this thread, when we are told that if we do sin, we have an advocate with the Father who speaks in our defense. Is this referring to the lost or the saved in Christ?

John is referring to the lost, as only the lost commit sin. Those who are born of God cannot commit sin. (1 Jo 3:9-10)

Colight
Jun 24th 2012, 08:53 AM
John is referring to the lost, as only the lost commit sin. Those who are born of God cannot commit sin. (1 Jo 3:9-10)

Perhaps it is not saying that..
After all it is addressing FALSE TEACHING..

What is sin in this passage? ἁμαρτία -hamartia - to miss the mark or that which is done wrong.

When we are born of God that is the correct way for righteousness.

7 Little children, let no one lead you astray; he who is doing the righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous, ( what is doing the righteous? Belief on Christ is doing the righteous)

8 he who is doing the( missing the mark on being righteous ), of the devil he is, because from the beginning the devil doth ( missing the mark on being righteous ); for this was the Son of God manifested, that he may break up the works of the devil; ( the Devil is always about human effort to produce some form of false righteousness aka works)

9 every one who hath been begotten of God, ( missing the mark on being righteous ) he doth not, because his ( GODS) seed in him doth remain ( therefore he is righteous ), and he is not able to (to miss the mark on righteousness), because of God he hath been begotten ( we have the same righteousness that God has ).

10 In this manifest are the children of God, and the children of the devil; every one who is not doing righteousness ( because we have been born into the righteousness of God we are able to do righteous), is not of God, and he who is not loving his brother,

If one is not born of God then they are not righteous..they have missed the mark, they have done it wrong.

To state this means Christians can not sin, is to really just read a translation rather than to dig into the verse and its doctrine.

Side note.. not sinning is a incorrect way for salvation or to keep salvation salvation is never gained or made perfect thru the flesh.

Galatians 3
3 so thoughtless are ye! having begun in the Spirit, now in the flesh do ye end?

EarlyCall
Jun 24th 2012, 11:39 AM

I honestly appreciate your replying to my question.

Your answer though leaves us with quite the dilemma for you have discovered a contradiction in God's word!

Are you aware of the scripture I was referring to in my post to which you replied? It can be found in 1 John 2:1.

Now I used that scripture, a portion of it without quoting it but asking you what you thought of it. You have told me that John is peaking to the lost and only the lost, by implication because only the lost sin.

Here is the verse, 1 John 2:1 in its entirety.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Now, your assertion that John was speaking only to lost here because only the lost sin and those born of God cannot commit sin must be reconsidered don't you think?

When John begins with my dear children, we know he is not speaking to the lost as you claim. How is it the lost have Jesus Christ as their advocate speaking to the Father on their behalf when they do not even know Christ personally? Christ will say to many on the day of judgment that He does not know them. In light of this, how then is Christ speaking on behalf of the lost to His Father when He, Christ, does not even know them?

What then are we to make of the verse you refer to? Is it a contradiction we've discovered in the word of God? It must either be that or we have something we need to understand.

I believe any honest and thinking person must agree concerning 1 John 2:1: that it is speaking to Christians and not the lost. What you do with it I leave to you. But in the end, it clearly and definitely disproves what you are going about claiming. I suspect your intentions and motives are good, but what good purpose does it serve you to be so wrong about a matter?

Again, let me end with saying that I do appreciate you responding to my question. :)

claybevan
Jun 24th 2012, 08:29 PM
It was private joke that was apparently SO private that you didn't get it!!:lol:
I was sure I saw you in JeanneD's elephant hug thread.....

You did, to save boring the others to bits I have sent you a pm. :)