PDA

View Full Version : Christians and politics

jhardy35862
Jun 20th 2012, 11:10 AM
Should Christians have any involvement in politics?
Consider this:
Jesus speaking here at John 17:16 - "They are no part of the world just as I am no part of the world".

Also, John 6:15 - "Jesus, knowing they (the Jews) were about to come and seize him to make him king, withdrew again into the mountain all alone". Later he told the Roman governor "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source." - John 18:36

James 4:4 - "..do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God."
The matter is that serious as 1 John 5:19 says "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." At John 14:30 Jesus identified Satan as being "the ruler of the world". So, no matter what worldy faction a person might support, under whose control would he really come?

And finally a bit of history,
"Early Christianity was little understood and was regarded with little favor by those who ruled the pagan world... Christians refused to share certain duties of Roman citizens... They would not hold political office." - On the Road to Civilisation, A World History (Philadelphia, 1937), A. Heckel and J. Sigman, pp. 237, 238.

-SEEKING-
Jun 20th 2012, 11:17 AM

Sure. Why not? Jesus had no problems with Nicodemus, a pharisee, nor the Roman soldier who came to Him on behalf of his ill slave. If I had a chance to make a difference in my community, why would I NOT take it?

episkopos
Jun 20th 2012, 02:50 PM
A Christian disciple is one who has forsaken the things of this world in order to devote himself/herself to the things of the kingdom. These things are contrary to each other. To walk in the Spirit is the calling and duty of the Christian. To do so one must let the old life go.

Colight
Jun 20th 2012, 03:02 PM
Why would there be a issue ?

As long as the believer is rooted in solid doctrine, and not on some crusade filled with the arrogance that goes with crusade thinking.
Most of the founding fathers of the USA was believers, and they established a great nation that has been a light to the world.
A nation that has freed Europe from tyranny and sent missionaries across the world

keck553
Jun 20th 2012, 03:04 PM
A Christian disciple is one who has forsaken the things of this world in order to devote himself/herself to the things of the kingdom. These things are contrary to each other. To walk in the Spirit is the calling and duty of the Christian. To do so one must let the old life go.

Stop having an opinion. Stop showering. Turn off your electricity. Stop driving. Stop using your iPhone. Throw your computer away. These are all worldly things.

-SEEKING-
Jun 20th 2012, 04:46 PM
Stop having an opinion. Stop showering. Turn off your electricity. Stop driving. Stop using your iPhone. Throw your computer away. These are all worldly things.

Not sure if it's due to the weather but I agree with your post 100%. :cool:

keck553
Jun 20th 2012, 05:45 PM
Not sure if it's due to the weather but I agree with your post 100%. :cool:

It could be that I had a rare moment of clarity?

episkopos
Jun 20th 2012, 07:07 PM

These are physical things...worldly means to do things the way the world does them...while they are alienated from the life of God.

But I agree with not having an opinion. :) We are to be led by the Spirit, not by our own ideas.

AndrewBaptistFL
Jun 20th 2012, 07:50 PM
2 Timothy 2:4
No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

keck553
Jun 20th 2012, 09:26 PM
These are physical things...worldly means to do things the way the world does them...while they are alienated from the life of God.

But I agree with not having an opinion. :) We are to be led by the Spirit, not by our own ideas.

Your opinion is a physical thing? Okey dokey, if you say so.

Scooby_Snacks
Jun 20th 2012, 10:32 PM

It is a wide question, so I will answer it how I am reading it, and correct me if there is a different meaning?
I believe it would be very difficult to be a Christian and a Politician at the same time, based on what I see today. It might be possible, but I have never tried it myself.

One thing I do know, is that Jesus has sent us out into the world to be His Light, so I imagine that can be done in many different vocations.

When I think of being friends with the world, I think of trying to meet ones needs from it, instead of from God. I do think there is more to it, of course, but thats on the top of my head right now.

I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.
They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.
And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.

(John 17:15-19 ESV)

Waiting for clarification or more...to the question if need be.

keck553
Jun 20th 2012, 11:36 PM
I think the question is can a Christian be involved in politics in regards to supporting politicians and political causes? That was my take. Maybe I am wrong?

Or is it in the context of a ploy from the politicians and their supporters who want to shut us up so they can have their way? We have to live here too.

claybevan
Jun 22nd 2012, 11:53 AM
I think the question is can a Christian be involved in politics in regards to supporting politicians and political causes? That was my take. Maybe I am wrong?

Or is it in the context of a ploy from the politicians and their supporters who want to shut us up so they can have their way? We have to live here too.

Politicians are there to represent the people, so on that basis I don't see why christians can't get involved, as keck says "we live here too" and we want someone to represent us.
Can you imagine how difficult it must be though to keep you christian integrity in the world of politics, I wouldn't last a day in that viper infested environment.
Thank goodness for the likes of Martin Luther king and all those who have stepped up for Christ in politics, we need more of them.

dan
Jun 22nd 2012, 05:28 PM
Is there a limit on how or when we should demonstrate love for our neighbor?

Can we do good for our neighbor by voting responsibly?

Should we try to further the aims of God's Kingdom by every means available?

To all of these I say:

Get to voting!

keck553
Jun 22nd 2012, 06:53 PM
Amen. I think the adversary would leap for joy if God's people just sat back and did nothing to slow corruption.