PDA

View Full Version : My Bible Study John 11.

chad
Jun 27th 2012, 11:48 AM
I would like to share a bible study with everyone on the raising of Lazarus, John 11. Split into two parts, Part one is - Jesus, Part two - Martha and Mary.

John 11 The raising of Lazarus In this account by the Apostle John, he writes that Jesus was a friend of Lazarus, Martha and Mary. Lazarus was the brother of both Martha and Mary, Martha and Mary were sisters. Lazarus was sick at that time (John 11:1), he died of his illness and his sisters mourned his death. To show the glory of God, Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.

Part 1: Empathy - Jesus. John writes that leading up to Lazarus death, the Jews had tried to stone Jesus (John 11:8). News came to the disciples and Jesus that Lazarus, brother of Martha and Mary, was sick and dying. Jesus, fore-knowing what was to come said to them, this sickness will not lead to death, but for the Glory of God, (that is God glorified, through the miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead) and the glory of the son (In that they believe in Jesus, whom God had sent) John 11:4. After receiving the news that Lazarus was sick (John 11:3), Jesus stayed where he was for a further two days, before saying to his disciples, let us go to Judea (John 11:7). Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep and I will go and wake him (John 11:11).

Jesus foreknew Lazarus had died, but the disciples though Jesus was saying he was just sick and sleeping. Jesus explained to them that Lazarus had died (John 11:12-14). The disciples said to Jesus, the Jews in Judea tried to stone you (John 11: 8) and Thomas (also known as Didymus) one of the twelve apostles said let us also go with him, that we may die with him (John 11:16). Possibly meaning that if they returned to Judea, the Jews might stone them also.

When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him and said unto Jesus, “Lord if you hadst been here, my brother had not died. Jesus re-assures Martha, That Lazarus her brother, shall rise again (John 11:21-22). Martha thought Jesus was talking about the resurrection of all on the last day (John 11:24), but not a physical resurrection that was about to happen on that day, for Lazarus had already been dead 4 days. NIV Study notes on John 11:17 write:- Many Jews believed that the soul remained near the body for 3 days after death in hope of returning to it. If this idea was in the minds of these people, they obviously thought all hope was gone – Lazarus was irrevocably dead. Four days had already passed and the body was decomposing, so there seemed to be no hope for Lazarus, apart from a true miracle of God.

Mary (Martha’s sister) also, when hearing Jesus had come, went out to meet Jesus. She was weeping and fell to the feet of Jesus and said the same words as her sister Martha, “Lord if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died” (John 11:32). Her weeping revealing her grief for her brother Lazarus. When Jesus saw her weeping and also the Jews weeping (who had come to comfort Martha and Mary), he groaned in the spirit and was troubled. Now the Greek translation of the word Groaned is Embrimaomai:G1690 – Indignation, to blame, groan, murmur against. Jesus groaning may have been the result of being blamed for Lazarus death? For Jesus had remained where he was for two days (John 11:6) and arrived on the fourth day after Lazarus death. Jesus was also troubled. The Greek word being Tarasso:G5015 – Stir; agitated; troubled.

When Jesus saw where Lazarus had laid, he wept. His weeping was different of that of Mary and the other Jews who had come to comfort Martha and Mary during this time of distress and anguish. For in verse 33, John uses the Greek word Klaio:G2799 that means to wail aloud to describe the weeping of Mary and the other Jews. However, John writes of Jesus weeping in verse 35 using the Greek word, Dakuro:G1145: which means to shed tears. When the Jews saw this, John records, the Jews said behold he loved him. That love being of friendship. The Greek word Phileo:G5368, meaning to be a friend to, having personal attachment (John 11:36). In verse 11:5 John writes that Jesus loved, Martha, and his sister (Mary) and Lazarus. Using the Greek word :Agapao:G25 to love in a social or moral sense.

The Jews, then said of Jesus in John 11:37, Could this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? In other words, the Messiah, whom had shed tears, why did he not save his friend Lazarus? In verse 38 John writes, Jesus again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. (Groaning, Embrimaomai:G1690 – Indignation, to blame, groan, murmur against). It seemed Jesus was being blamed for Lazarus death because he did not come early to heal him. Jesus had healed others in his ministry, so why did he not make an extra effort to heal his friend Lazarus? But we must remember, If Jesus was doing the will of the father, in waiting 4 days before raising Lazarus from the dead, to show a true miracle, beyond doubt, how could he be blamed for Lazarus death?

Jesus was about to do something miraculous, a miracle by raising Lazarus from the dead after 4 days. Take away the stone Jesus said (John 11:39), but even at that time, Martha still with unbelief, said, “He stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.” John 11:40 Jesus replies, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe thou shouldest see the glory of God? After Jesus had raised Lazarus from the dead, Many Jews, which came to Mary and had seen the things that Jesus did, believed on him (John 11:45).

The Evil intent of the Pharisees. Because many of the Jews believed in Jesus after Lazarus resurrection, the Pharisees were concerned. John records in John 11:48 “If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation: John 11:53 “Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.” That was the chief priest and the Pharisees plotted to kill Jesus. Not only did they plot to kill Jesus, they also wanted to kill Lazarus because he had been resurrected. The Jews were believing in Jesus because of this miracle (John 12:10).

Part 2: Empathy - Martha and Mary. It was only natural for both Martha and Mary to want Jesus to heal their sick brother Lazarus, for Jesus was their friend and also the Messiah who had healed others and performed miracles amongst the people, so why not for their brother Lazarus? When Martha and Mary sent word to Jesus that Lazarus was sick, they must have been confused as to why Jesus did not come quickly. For when Jesus received the news (John 11:6), Jesus stayed where he was for another two days. Both Martha and Mary were possibly wondering why Jesus had not come to heal Lazarus. Why it took was taking him so long, after they had sent word. This was Jesus, the Messiah, whom in his ministry had healed others. Jesus was a friend of Lazarus, Martha and Mary. Why did he not come and heal Lazarus, why did he leave it too late and let him die? Jesus was the Messiah, God in Flesh, The Son of God, How can this be the will of God? How could Jesus be so mean? (Note: NIV Study notes on John 11:17 write:- Many Jews believed that the soul remained near the body for 3 days after death in hope of returning to it. If this idea was in the minds of these people, they obviously thought all hope was gone – Lazarus was irrevocably dead. Four days had already passed and the body was decomposing, so there seemed to be no hope for Lazarus, apart from a true miracle of God.)

Mary, had stayed with Lazarus body, she was weeping and being comforted by other Jews who had come to comfort Mary and Martha in their time of grief and loss. Their grieving and staying next to the body of their brother Lazarus, showed both sisters love for him. When Martha learnt that Jesus was coming, she ran out to meet Jesus. The first thing she said that the Apostle John records was “If you had come, my brother would not have died”. Jesus reassures Martha, that Lazarus will live again, but she thought he meant at the time of resurrection, when all will be raised again (John 11:23-24). When Mary heard that Jesus was coming, she got up and went to Jesus. Weeping, she fell at Jesus feet and said the same remark as her sister Martha, “If you had come, my brother would not have died”. This was the same response as her sister Martha. Jesus raises Lazarus.

When Jesus asked for the stone to be removed from Lazarus grave, Martha was still with unbelief, “saying that his body stinketh and he has been dead for four days” (John 11:39). Knowing Martha’s unbelief, Jesus said to her “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the Glory of God” (John 11:40). Then Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. God’s miracle and Glory was shown through Lazarus resurrection and the other Jews believed in Jesus, because of this (John 11:45).

Mary’s Devotion to Jesus. After Lazarus resurrection, John writes in John 12:1-2, 6 days before the Passover, Jesus arrived in Bethany, where Lazarus lived. A dinner was given in honor of Jesus. Martha served and Lazarus was at the table with Jesus. John records in 12:3 an act of great devotion and love from Mary. This was Mary (Martha’s sister and who’s brother was Lazarus), the same Mary who had fallen at the feet of Jesus, weeping for her brother Lazarus, now bought out an expensive perfume called nard, worth a years wages and poured it on Jesus feet. She wiped his feet with her hair. John records in John 12:4-6 Judas Iscariot, who did not care about the poor asked, “Why was this ointment not sold and the money given to the poor. It was worth a year’s wages”. Judas did not care about the poor; he was a thief and use to steal from the moneybag that was put into it. Jesus replied, let her alone, it was intended she should save this perfume for the day of my burial (John 12:7). NIV Notes for John 12:3 – writes: a) Normally oil was poured on a person head. b) Woman would not normally unbind their hair in public. No respectful woman would do this. c) It was servant’s work to attend to the feet.

chad
Jun 24th 2015, 10:18 AM
Update

At the Home of Martha and Mary

Luke 10:38 (NIV)

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

Martha and Mary were Lazarus sisters. Mary sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he said.

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2010&version=NIV#fen-NIV-25406f)] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Mary choose the better option. She wanted to hear the word of the son of God, God in the Flesh.

John 11:1-5

1 Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2 (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.)

Mary, the sister of Lazarus and Martha was the one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair (John 12:1-8).

3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.” When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”

Lazarus would die, but he would be raised again - to demonstrate the Glory of God, through the power of God - to resurrect the dead.

Love - The KJV uses the word Lovest.

Lovest G5368. phileo, fil-eh'-o; from G5384; to be a friend to (fond of [an individual or an object]), i.e. have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while G25 is wider, embracing espec. the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety: the two thus stand related very much as G2309 and G1014, or as G2372 and G3563 respectively; the former being chiefly of the heart and the latter of the head); spec. to kiss (as a mark of tenderness):--kiss, love.

5 Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.

Loved G25. agapao, ag-ap-ah'-o; perh. from agan (much) [or comp. H5689]; to love (in a social or moral sense):--(be-) love (-ed). Comp. G5368.

6 So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days, 7 and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.”

Imo, this was to show the glory of God. Jesus would resurrect Lazarus after 4 days of death. NIV Bible Study Notes
11:17 'Many Jews believed that the soul remained near the body for three days after death in hope of it returning to it. If this idea was in the minds of the people, the obviously thought all hope was gone - Lazarus was irrevocably dead.'

Jesus Comforts the Sisters of Lazarus

John 11:17-37-54

17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18 Now Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, 19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother.

20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

21 “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”

Martha said - If you had been here, my brother would not have died. However, Jesus did not have to be physically present for healing to come to Lazarus. Healing could have come while Jesus was still at Bethany. But this was to demonstrate the power and Glory of God. Gods Resurrection power and power over death.

23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

24 Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Martha believed in the resurrection of the dead, in the last days. John records in the book of Revelation.

(Rev 14:13 NIV) Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: [B]Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them."

---

(Rev 20:4 NIV) I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

(Rev 20:5 NIV) (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.

---

(Rev 20:12 NIV) And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

(Rev 20:13 NIV) The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Lazarus would live again, even though he died. Those who believe in and belong to Christ Jesus will live even though they die, for they will be resurrected.

27 “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

28 After she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. “The Teacher is here,” she said, “and is asking for you.”

29 When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him.

30 Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. 31 When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.

32 When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34 “Where have you laid him?” he asked. “Come and see, Lord,” they replied.

When Mary reached Jesus, she fell at his feet and wept. The KJV uses the word weeping.

Weeping G2799. klaio, klah'-yo; of uncert. affin.; to sob, i.e. wail aloud (whereas G1145 is rather to cry silently):--bewail. weep.

35 Jesus wept.

Wept G1145. dakruo, dak-roo'-o; from G1144; to shed tears:--weep. Comp. G2799.

36 Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”

Loved G25. agapao, ag-ap-ah'-o; perh. from agan (much) [or comp. H5689]; to love (in a social or moral sense):--(be-) love (-ed). Comp. G5368.

37 But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?”
38 Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39 “Take away the stone,” he said.

“But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”

40 Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”

41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”

43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.

Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”

The Plot to Kill Jesus

45 Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him.
46 But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done.

47 Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. “What are we accomplishing?” they asked. “Here is this man performing many signs. 48 If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our nation.”

49 Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, “You know nothing at all! 50 You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.”

51 He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, 52 and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one.

53 So from that day on they plotted to take his life.

54 Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the people of Judea. Instead he withdrew to a region near the wilderness, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples.

Jesus Anointed at Bethany - Harmonized

John 11:1-2 (NIV)

(John 11:1) Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha.

(John 11:2) This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.

John 12:1-8 (NIV)

(John 12:1) Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.

Six days?

(Mark 14:1) Now the Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were scheming to arrest Jesus secretly and kill him. 2 “But not during the festival,” they said, “or the people may riot.”

Two days?

(Mt 26:6) While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper

(John 12:2) Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him.

(John 12:3) Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

The same Mary who sat at Jesus feet to listen to his words and who wept at his feet, when her brother Lazarus had died.

(John 12:4) But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected,

(John 12:5) "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages."

The KJV writes - the ointment was worth 300 pence or 300 Denarius.

Pence G1220. denarion, day-nar'-ee-on; of Lat. or.; a denarius (or ten asses):--pence, penny [-worth].

(John 12:6) He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Judas did not care about Mary's act of devotion towards Jesus, neither did he care about the poor, he was only interested in the money - for he was a thief.

(John 12:7) "Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial.

(Mark 14:8) She did what she could

(John 12:8) You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

(Mt 26:13) Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

(Mark 14:10) Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. 11 They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over.

chad
Apr 3rd 2016, 09:29 PM
Update:

The raising of Lazarus and the Plot to Kill Jesus [John Chapter 11:1-44]

Raising Lazarus from the dead.

The plot to kill Jesus by the High Priest, Council and Pharisees is recorded after Jesus raises his friend Lazarus back to life. Lazarus was the brother of Martha and Mary, they were friends of Jesus.

The raising of Lazarus from the dead was a demonstration of Gods miraculous power over death.

For God breathed life into the first man - Adam (Gen 2:19) and has the power to restore and resurrect life back to man.

In raising Lazarus from the dead, the glory of God was shown and in this miracle the son of God would also be glorified (John 11:4).

For both the father and the son had a part in brining this miracle to pass, both the father (God) and the son (Jesus). Both are glorified, from the miracle from heaven, demonstrated on earth.

Before Jesus prayed for Lazarus to be raised from the dead, he spoke these words to Martha:

(John 11:25 KJV) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

(John 11:26 KJV) And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

(John 11:27 KJV) She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

And Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead:

(John 11:43 KJV) And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

(John 11:44 KJV) And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with grave clothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Because of the miracle, everyone started to believe.

(John 11:45 KJV) Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

The Plot to Kill Jesus

(John 11:46 KJV) But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.

(John 11:47 KJV) Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.

(John 11:48 KJV) If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.

This caused concern for The High Priest, Pharisees and the Council, they feared that if the people began believing in Jesus, then the Romans would come and take away both thier place and nation.

And here we have the two different purposes shown here. One of man and one of God.

The High Priest Caiphas, Pharisees and council were looking at the situation from a worldy point of self preservation for their position in Israel and the nation of Israel.

God sent his son Jesus, that others would believe so that they might have forgiveness of sin, through belief and repentance and eternal life.

(John 11:49 KJV) And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priestthat same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,

(John 11:50 KJV) Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

The High Priest Caiaphas, some time that year prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation. Caiaphas used this prophecy as an argument to kill Jesus for the purpose of self preservation.

The High Priest wanted to use the prophesy for death, to kill the son of God for the purpose of their own self preservation.

God gave the prophecy to show that his son would die, but as a sacrifice for the sins of the world in order that man may have life, not death.

The parable of the Tenants

The book of Mathew records a parable of the Tenants [Mt 21:33-45].

In this Parable the wicked servants kill the son of the owner of the vineyard [Mt 21:39].

Jesus then said unto the Pharisees:

(Mat 21:42 KJV) Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

(Mat 21:43 KJV) Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

(Mat 21:44 KJV) And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

(Mat 21:45 KJV) And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

chad
May 9th 2016, 06:11 AM
UPDATE: The sacrificial gift of Mary

(John 12:5) "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages."

This was such a great sacrifice to Jesus. The Nard was worth one year’s wages, possibly the most valuable thing that Mary owned? but she gave this precious gift (Worth 1 years wages) in dedication to Jesus.

How many Christians today would give a gift worth 1 years wages to Jesus (through a ministry).

Such a large gift, how can we not call it a sacrifice. Mary could have kept the nard and sold it and used the money to meet her own living expenses and given some of the money to the poor, but she instead used it on Jesus.

Judas did not see the sacrifice which Mary was making, he was only concerned about the money because he was a thief.

(John 12:6) He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Jesus recognized the gift and said…

(John 12:7) "Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial.

Jesus ministered to many and gave much to many during his ministry, yet we do not read much about people giving back to Jesus during his ministry on earth.
Such a precious gift that Mary gave to the Lord Jesus Christ in preparation for the sacrifice he was to make for mankind.

(Mt 26:13) Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

For her giving was such thing a precious valuable gift and sacrifice to Jesus – that it would be remembered whenever the gospel is preached in memory of her.