PDA

View Full Version : The Sin That Will Not Go Away

Jemand
Jul 17th 2012, 05:47 PM
“I hate it, and I keep repenting of it, but I keep doing it no matter how hard I try not to!”

This cry of despair has come from the lips of very many Christians—but the solution to the dilemma has been provided for us in the person and work of Christ.

John 8:31. So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
32. and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
33. They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?”
34. Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.
35. “The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
36. “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”

In this passage from the New Testament, Jesus promised the Jews who had believed in Him that they would come to know the truth, and that the truth would set them free from slavery to sin. In his epistle to the Galatians, Paul wrote,

Gal. 3:28. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Therefore, for those who believe in Him, those who are in Christ, the promise of John 8:32 is a promise to them!

In the very first chapter in the New Testament, we read in verses 20- 21 the words of the angel of the Lord that appeared to Joseph who was betrothed to Mary,

“Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

Jesus came into this world to save His people from their sins! That includes you and I as we take God at His word and believe Him rather than the words of discouragement that are cast at us by him whom would keep us in bondage, but who has been defeated on the cross!

(All quotations from Scripture, unless otherwise noted, are from the NASB, 1995)

PJW
Jul 18th 2012, 02:49 AM
I thank God every day for allowing me to live without sin. I thank God every day for allowing me to be true to my repentance.
And I thank God every day for forgiving my old sins, with the knowledge that I will never have to sin again.

glad4mercy
Jul 18th 2012, 10:07 PM
Great post, Jemand. The last paragraph really hits home with me. Most of the time when people get stuck in the sin rut, it is because the devil keeps the guilt trip on them. If I am struggling in an area of my life, the devil will keep me in defeat by keeping my eyes on past failures. A verse that really helped me over this vicious cycle was this one...

Philippians 3: 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus

I know that this verse has to do also with the things that Paul counted as loss for Christ's sake, but I took this verse and applied it to my past failures. Confessing my sins to God, I have put the failures of the past behind me, and I am reaching forward to the things that are before me, the heavenly calling of Christ. Putting the past failures behind us through God's forgiveness is one of the things that empower us to go and sin no more.

We can put the past failures away forever, because God has forgiven and forgotten them, cast them into the sea of forgetfullness, seperated them from us as far as the east is from the west. The devil comes knockin' trying to return them, just send him away in Jesus' Name. One of the important things in living in spiritual victory is a clean conscience, and our conscience is made clean by the Blood of Jesus. There is now therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk after the Spirit, not after the flesh.

Jemand
Jul 19th 2012, 04:42 PM
Great post, Jemand. The last paragraph really hits home with me. Most of the time when people get stuck in the sin rut, it is because the devil keeps the guilt trip on them. If I am struggling in an area of my life, the devil will keep me in defeat by keeping my eyes on past failures. A verse that really helped me over this vicious cycle was this one...

Philippians 3: 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus

I know that this verse has to do also with the things that Paul counted as loss for Christ's sake, but I took this verse and applied it to my past failures. Confessing my sins to God, I have put the failures of the past behind me, and I am reaching forward to the things that are before me, the heavenly calling of Christ. Putting the past failures behind us through God's forgiveness is one of the things that empower us to go and sin no more.

We can put the past failures away forever, because God has forgiven and forgotten them, cast them into the sea of forgetfullness, seperated them from us as far as the east is from the west. The devil comes knockin' trying to return them, just send him away in Jesus' Name. One of the important things in living in spiritual victory is a clean conscience, and our conscience is made clean by the Blood of Jesus. There is now therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk after the Spirit, not after the flesh.

Amen! Thank you for sharing with us! May God abundantly bless you!