PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Genesis

Frances
Aug 17th 2012, 03:52 PM
Genesis 1 - 2:3
What did I learn of God? - On the first day - Everywhere was dark. He Created the Heavens and Earth. At His Word light was created. He called the light 'Day' and the darkness 'Night'.
On the 2nd day - He created an expanse, which He called 'Heaven', to divide the waters above it from the waters below.
On the 3rd day - the waters under heaven, which He called 'Seas' were moved together and dry land, which He called 'Earth' appeared - He was pleased. He created Trees, Grasses and Herbs each with the ability to produce seed bearing fruit. God was pleased.
On the 4th day - He created the Sun and Moon in the heavens to divided Day from Night, Seasons and Years and to give light to earth, and He also made Stars. He was pleased.
On the 5th day - God created many large and small Creatures to swim in the waters and Birds to fly across the sky, all with the ability to be fruitful and multiply.
On the 6th day - He created all kinds of creatures to live on the earth. He made Mankind, male and female, in the image and likeness of God. He blessed them and told them to be fruitful and fill the earth and subdue it. Everything God made was very good.
On the 7th day - God rested. He Blessed and Sanctified that day.

What did I learn of myself?- God Created my first ancestors.

What did I praise God for? - The Power and Authority of His Word.

What did I pray for? – To be true to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – God Created the universe and everything in it in 6 x 24 hour days, and rested on the 7th.

Frances
Aug 19th 2012, 05:01 PM
Genesis 2:4 - 25 (a more detailed account of God's creation)

What did I learn of God? - He caused a mist to rise from the earth that watered all the ground. He made Man from the soil and breathed life into his nostrils. In Eden He planted a garden, watered by a river and put the man there to care for it. God told the man (Adam) he could eat fruit from every tree except the tree of knowledge of good and evil, because if he did he would die (be separated from Life). God brought every creature and bird He had made to the man for him to name; then having caused the man to sleep He took one of his ribs and created a female, who Adam called Woman because she was taken out of man. Therefore a man and his wife shall cling together and become one flesh. They were not ashamed to be naked.

What did I learn of myself?- I am a product of God's Creation, to be 'one flesh' with one person of the opposite sex.

What did I praise God for? - His perfect (very good) Creation.

What did I pray for? - Greater understanding of His Will for me.

What does this say in one sentence? - In 6 days God Created the Heavens and the Earth and everything in them, to 'be fruitful and multiply' and fill the Earth. God rested on the 7th day and Blessed and Sanctified it (set it apart for His use)

Query:- If I choose not to believe God Created the universe, and everything in it, in 6 x 24 hour days can I really be believing in the Jesus of the Bible – as John 1 says ‘nothing was made without Him?

Frances
Aug 20th 2012, 04:06 PM
Genesis 3

What did I learn of God? - He made the serpent that tempted Eve. He made mankind and the serpent hostile to one another. He increased Eve's ability to conceive and also her sorrow, including pain in childbirth, and said she would desire her husband and he would rule over her. Because Adam disobeyed Him, God cursed the ground so he had to work hard to get food among the thorns and thistles, until he died. He made Adam and Eve clothes of animal skins (so He sacrificed animals to cover the guilt of their Sin) and sent them out of the Garden of Eden, putting Cherubim to guard the Tree of Life with a flaming sword.

What did I learn of myself? - I am descended from Adam and Eve. I have inherited from them the sentences of hardship and death.

What did I praise God for? - Being true to Himself - not allowing His Power and Authority to be compromised by anyone/anything He Created.

What did I pray for? - His Mercy when I submit to the temptation to disobey Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – The serpent tempted Eve who, with Adam, disobeyed God, so He Cursed the ground and threw them out of the Garden of Eden to work for a living, suffer pain and die.

Note:- If I yield to temptation once too often will I risk being thrown out of God’s Kingdom?

Frances
Aug 21st 2012, 05:10 PM
Genesis 4

What did I learn of God? - He accepted Abel's offering but not Cain's. He told Cain his offering would be accepted if he did what was right and Sin would control him if he did not rule over it. God asked Cain where Abel was although He already knew he'd killed his brother. God cursed Cain, saying he'd always be a fugitive and vagabond, and marked him so no one would kill him. God allowed Eve to have another son, Seth .

What did I learn of myself? - If I please God he will accept me and my offerings. I must rule over Sin that seeks to control me. My descendants are likely to commit the same Sin's I give in to.

What did I praise God for? - Punishing Sin (including mine) to encourage living to please Him.

What did I pray for? - His Strength to resist all temptation to Sin.

What does this say in one sentence? - Cain was jealous of Abel and killed him, so God cursed him to be a fugitive and vagabond; (his descendant also killed a man) meanwhile Eve had another son - Seth - when his son Enosh was born people began to call on the Name of the Lord.

Query – Is it possible for me to please God if I don’t trust Him in every way for everything?

Frances
Aug 22nd 2012, 06:20 PM
Genesis 5What did I learn of God? - He Created Mankind male and female, in His likeness and Blessed them.

What did I learn of myself? – God has Blessed each child born with the opportunity to have eternal Life – including me.

What did I praise God for? - Ensuring only the generations from Adam to Noah were accurately recorded (so we wouldn’t be confused by too many names).

What did I pray for? - That I never compromise the Truth of His Creation, to appear acceptable to those who don’t trust God’s Word.

What does this say in one sentence? - The genealogy from Adam to Noah, their meanings are (Quote:- Chuck Missler):-

Adam means Man
Seth " Appointed
Enosh " Mortal
Kenan " Sorrow
Mahalalel " The Blessed God
Jared " Shall come down
Enoch " Teaching
Methuselah " His death shall bring
Lamech " the despairing
Noah " Rest and Comfort
(read meanings from Adam to Noah as one sentence)

Frances
Aug 23rd 2012, 04:17 PM
Genesis 6

What did I learn of God? - He set the limit of human life to 120 years. Then because of the great and continual wickedness of mankind He was so grieved that He decided to destroy all mankind except Noah and his family and a pair of each kind of creature and bird, so told Noah to build an Ark with separate compartments, covered inside and out with pitch. The Ark must be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high, with 3 decks, with a window and a door; to preserve the lives of Noah, his 3 sons and all their wives as well as 2 of every living creature and bird - and all the food necessary for them.

What did I learn of myself? - I am descended from Noah. I’m doubtful whether my faith in God would survive for 100 years of humiliation. . . without His direct intervention.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to those faithful to Him. . . and also giving every opportunity for Sinners to repent before Judging them.

What did I pray for? - Strength to always be obedient to Him in all circumstances.

What does this say in one sentence? - God's patience regarding Sin came to an end, but He was Gracious to Noah and told him to build an Ark, for which He gave detailed instructions, to save Noah's family and 2 of every kind of creature and bird that He would send to Noah.

Quote:- (John Foster Dulles)” We are establishing an all-time world record in the production of material things. What we lack is a righteous and dynamic faith. Without it all else avails little. The lack cannot be compensated for by politicians, however able; or by diplomats, however astute; or by scientists, however inventive; or by bombs, however powerful.”

Query – Will God’s patience with me run out if I don’t make every effort to obey Him, and sincerely repent when I fail?

Frances
Aug 24th 2012, 03:56 PM
Genesis 7

What did I learn of God? - He told Noah to take into the Ark 7 of each clean animal, male and female, and a male and female of every unclean animal - for after 7 more days He would cause rain for 40 days and nights and would destroy all living things. God brought a male and female of all clean and unclean animals, every sort of bird and all flesh into the Ark and He shut them in . . . He destroyed all living things except those with Noah in the Ark.

What did I learn of myself? - I am descended from Adam through Noah.

What did I praise God for? - His Salvation.

What did I pray for? - To serve Him as faithfully as Noah.

What does this say in one sentence? - God preserved mankind, through Noah and his family also all other creatures and birds in the Ark, because Noah was obedient to Him.

Frances
Aug 25th 2012, 04:05 PM
Genesis 8

What did I learn of God? - He stopped the 'fountains of the deep' and closed the 'windows of Heaven' and stopped the rain. He allowed the deep water to subside. God told Noah to leave the Ark with every living thing 1 year and 10 days after it began to rain - so they might all be fruitful and multiply on the earth. The Lord promised never to curse the ground again, even though mankind are evil. God promised that while earth remains natural cycles (eg. seedtime and harvest) will not stop.

What did I learn of myself? - My ancestors were on the Ark, I owe my life to God.

What did I praise God for? - That He always keeps His Word.

What did I pray for? – That I will not allow what God considers Evil to control me.

What does this say in one sentence? - The Flood went down, the earth dried, God Promised not to destroy everything again while Earth lasts.

Note:- Although there are many local floods (eg. tsunami) there has never been one covering all the earth’s surface at one time again.

Frances
Aug 26th 2012, 04:37 PM
Genesis 9

What did I learn of God? - He Blessed Noah and his sons, telling them to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. He said everything that lives was food for them, except flesh with blood (it's life) in it. If an animal or man kills a person they must be killed. God established His everlasting Covenant - that never again will there be a flood to destroy the whole earth; the sign of this Covenant is the rainbow.

What did I learn of myself? - Every plant and creature is suitable for food (it is mankind's contamination of some of it, in some way, that makes it unsuitable for my body)

What did I praise God for? - His Covenant and rainbow.

What did I pray for? - To be guided to uncontaminated sources of the food and water He so generously provides.

What does this say in one sentence? - God Blessed Noah and his family, made a Covenant for which the rainbow is the sign; and the re-establishment of sin.

Quote:- (Bishop Leighton) “Sin is first pleasing, then it grows easy, then delightful, then frequent, then habitual, then confirmed; then the man is impenitent, then obstinate, then he is resolved never to repent. And then he is ruined.”

Note :- It is suggested that Ham used his father sexually while he was insensible – hence the curse..

Frances
Aug 27th 2012, 03:52 PM
Genesis 10

What did I learn of God? - He knows every detail of family trees.

What did I learn of myself? - Each person in my family tree, right back to Noah, has been recorded and is important to God.

What did I praise God for? - His infinite Wisdom and Compassion.

What did I pray for? - To appreciate His many Blessings more.

What does this say in one sentence? - Peoples of every nation are descended from Noah, whether their skin is black, white or any shade in between.

Frances
Aug 28th 2012, 03:32 PM
]Genesis 11

What did I learn of God? - He confused the language of Noah's descendants, who were building a city at Babel, so they did not understand each other and became scattered over the whole earth (as He originally commanded [ch.9])

What did I learn of myself? – Could I be too inclined to stay with those I know instead of investigating new places?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - Understanding.

What does this say in one sentence? - The account of how God stopped the tower of Babel being built by changing the language of the people, so they couldn't understand each other - and a list of Shem's descendents including Abraham and his nephew Lot.

Quote:- (Irenaeus) “God did not make the first human being because He needed company, but because He wanted someone to whom He could show His generosity. God did not tell us to follow Him because He needed our help, but because He knew that loving Him would make us whole.”

Note:- Abraham was born about 2166 BC.

Frances
Aug 29th 2012, 05:35 PM
Genesis 12

What did I learn of God? - He told Abram to leave his country and family to go where He directed. He told Abram He would Bless him and make him a blessing; his descendants would be a great nation; He would Bless those who blessed him and Curse those who cursed him, and through him all families on earth would be blessed. As Abram went through Canaan God said He was giving that land to Abram’s descendants. When there was a famine Abram went further south to Egypt, where his wife, Sarai, was taken to Pharoah's house, so the Lord plagued his household until he returned her to Abram .

What did I learn of myself? - If I obey God He can be relied on intervene on my behalf too.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to those who obey Him.

What did I pray for? - Faith in God equal to Abram's

What does this say in one sentence? - Abram obeyed the Lord following where He led, was promised Canaan for his descendants (after they'd been oppressed 400years) and had his wife returned due to the Lord's intervention.

Note:- Abraham left Haran in, or near, 2091 BC.

Frances
Aug 30th 2012, 03:31 PM
Genesis 13

What did I learn of God? - He regarded the men of Sodom exceedingly wicked. He told Abram who was in Canaan (after Lot had gone), to look North, South, East, and West, because all the land he could see God was giving to him and his descendants - who would be too many to be counted.

What did I learn of myself? - Apparently good circumstances don't necessarily mean God's Blessing, and hard situations cannot prevent them. Whatever my situation I need to worship God (for my benefit). Difficulties that separate me from family and friends may be a means of my receiving Blessing. I must keep every promise I make to God, as Abraham did.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to Abraham's descendants – and to me.

What did I pray for? - Peace in the Middle East - and particularly in Jerusalem.

What does this say in one sentence? - Abraham and Lot left Egypt, Lot choosing to go to the good ground by Jordan near Sodom; so Abram went to Canaan and God gave him all he could see in every direction for ever - and Abram worshipped the Lord.

Frances
Aug 31st 2012, 03:42 PM
Genesis 14

What did I learn of myself? - Not everything in the Bible may relate to me personally, but is necessary for the 'complete picture' of the history of mankind, Sin and Salvation.

What did I praise God for? - Every detail in His Word.

What did I pray for? - Greater understanding..

What does this say in one sentence? - Two groups of kings fought each other and the winner took Lot captive; Abram took his army of 318 and rescued Lot, the other captives and all their goods, of which he gave Melchizidek - a priest of God - a tenth (tithe) of the goods and the rest to the king of Sodom.

Frances
Sep 1st 2012, 04:18 PM
Genesis 15

What did I learn of God? - He told Abram He was his 'shield and exceedingly great reward'; that he would father a child who would be his heir, and his descendants would be as numerous as the stars. Because Abram believed/trusted in what God had said He 'accounted it to him as Righteousness'. God also said Abram's descendants would be strangers and ill-treated in a foreign land for 400 years before leaving with great possessions after God Judged that nation. He made a Covenant with Abram giving him all the land between the Nile and Euphrates rivers.

What did I learn of myself? - When I believe/trust in what God says He accounts it to me as righteousness as well.

What did I praise God for? - He can always be trusted.

What did I pray for? - Increased faith, to trust God regardless of my own or other's 'wisdom'.

What does this say in one sentence? - God told Abram He would care for him and he would have uncountable descendants, as Abram believed Him God counted it as Righteousness; God also said those descendants would be mistreated for 400y ears but would leave with great possessions, to inhabit the land God gave them between the Nile and Euphrates.

Frances
Sep 2nd 2012, 04:47 PM
Genesis 16

What did I learn of God? - He told pregnant Hagar to return to Sarai, her mistress, and submit to her. He promised to give her uncountable descendants through the son she bore - who she must name Ishmael (which means 'God hears') he would be a wild, violent man. God is the 'God Who sees', He encourages patience and trust.

What did I learn of myself? - God also sees everything I do and where I am, I am never out of his sight. I run ahead of Him at my peril. If I try to do God's will my way, for any reason at all, I will cause unexpected problems.

What did I praise God for? - He is all-seeing and knows the right time for everything

What did I pray for? - Greater willingness to follow Him and not 'run ahead' of Him and what He knows is best for me at all times.

What does this say in one sentence? - Abram and Sarai tried to assist the Lord (and maybe force His hand?) causing all the Arab/Israeli conflict ever since.

Frances
Sep 3rd 2012, 03:59 PM
Genesis 17

What did I learn of God? - He sometimes waits till a situation is impossible, humanly speaking, before He acts - demonstrating that nothing is too hard for Him. He made an everlasting Covenant with Abraham to make him the 'father of many nations' and to give him and his descendants the land of Canaan for ever; their part of the Covenant would be to circumcise every male baby on the 8th day after birth (it has recently been discovered a baby's blood clots most readily on the 8th day). God changed Abram and Sarai's names to Abraham and Sarah and said they would have a son, Isaac, and His Covenant would be established through Isaac.

What did I learn of myself? - He acts in my life to fulfill His wider purposes - present and future.

What did I praise God for? - His ability to overrule 'natural' events.

What did I pray for? - Patience to wait for God in everything, knowing His timing is perfect in every way.

What does this say in one sentence? - God made a Covenant with Abram and Sarai and changed their names to Abraham and Sarah.

Frances
Sep 4th 2012, 03:51 PM
Genesis 18

What did I learn of God? - He told Abraham that Sarah, who was well past child-bearing age, would have a son. Nothing is too difficult for Him. He is willing to allow His actions to be swayed by intercession within His Will - to the point of the faith of the intercessor.

What did I learn of myself? - I will never be 'too old' for the Lord to use. There is not much point 'saying prayers' without the faith to really pray fully trusting God, though He may occasionally grant an unbeliever’s request to stretch their faith.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom and Knowledge.

What did I pray for? - Greater discernment of His Will in each situation.

What does this say in one sentence? - The Lord told Abraham he would have a son, and allowed him to intercede for Sodom and Gomorrah.

Query:- Do I intercede sufficiently for my town, and the towns where my relatives live?

Frances
Sep 5th 2012, 05:57 PM
Genesis 19

What did I learn of God? - He gives believer’s families opportunities to obey Him and be Saved, because He is Merciful. He destroys those who do Evil continually.

What did I learn of myself? - I must not look back to the past with longing, but to the future with hope. Sin of mine today will bear fruit (cause future problems).

What did I praise God for? - His decisiveness and abhorrence of all evil.

What did I pray for? - To please God in every way.

What does this say in one sentence? - Sodom's depravity and destruction with Gomorra, the rescue of Lot and the evil encouraged by drunkenness.

Frances
Sep 6th 2012, 03:50 PM
Genesis 20

What did I learn of God? - He sometimes speaks to people in their dreams (eg. Abimelech) giving ultimatums. He agrees with prayers of blessing, of those who are His.

What did I learn of myself? - God sees what I do and knows if I'm trusting Him or my own schemes. God may use dreams to correct or warn of the result of Sin. Repentance includes praying for those who've Sinned against me..

What did I praise God for? - That He is Powerful, All-seeing and understands motives.

What did I pray for? - To trust Him more.

What does this say in one sentence? - Abraham told Sarah to tell a lie (she was Abraham’s half-sister but it was not the whole truth) so King Abimelech added her to his harem, but God prevented him touching her and told him in a dream, to return her to her husband and that Abraham would pray for him to be Healed (of impotence?)

Frances
Sep 7th 2012, 03:58 PM
Genesis 21

What did I learn of God? - He keeps His Promises. His prophetic Word is true. He hears.

What did I learn of myself? - No one is too young or too old for God to use, and He is not limited by our forebear’s actions.

What did I praise God for? - The nation He miraculously enabled through Abraham

What did I pray for? - That my actions never produce an 'Ishmael' .

What does this say in one sentence? - Isaac was born and circumcised (approx. 2066BC) then Abraham sent Hagar and Ishmael away, made a covenant with Abimelech and worshipped God at Beersheba.

Frances
Sep 8th 2012, 04:21 PM
Genesis 21

What did I learn of God? - He keeps His Promises. His prophetic Word is true. He hears.

What did I learn of myself? - No one is too young or too old for God to use, and He is not limited by our forebear’s actions.

What did I praise God for? - The Jewish nation He miraculously enabled through Abraham

What did I pray for? - That my actions never produce an 'Ishmael' to war against what He does through me or others.

What does this say in one sentence? - Isaac was born and circumcised (approx. 2066BC) then Abraham sent Hagar and Ishmael away, made a covenant with Abimelech and worshipped God at Beersheba.

Note:- As I can’t see ‘the big picture’ I must trust the Lord completely, including His timing

Frances
Sep 9th 2012, 03:59 PM
Genesis 22

What did I learn of God? - He tests His people, sometimes by asking them to sacrifice what they treasure most, to Him. He asks them to go to the destination He has chosen for them. He asks us to trust Him completely. He always provides everything we need. He keeps His Promises,

What did I learn of myself? - I will only receive all the Blessings God wants to give if I obey Him implicitly(often His Promises have conditions attached - eg male circumcision). I must stop looking at distressing situations and look up to see His Provision for Blessing.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom, Faithfulness, Provision and Blessings.

What did I pray for? - To hear Him more clearly and obey him more quickly.

What does this say in one sentence? - Abraham's faith was confirmed when he obeyed God regarding sacrificing Isaac - God's provision of a ram instead and his Blessing, also of Abraham's brother Nahor's family.

Quote:- (Blaise Pascal) “Do little things as though they were great, because of the majesty of the Lord Jesus Christ, who dwells in thee; and do great things as if they were little, because of His omnipotence”

Frances
Sep 10th 2012, 05:49 PM
Genesis 23

What does this say in one sentence? - The account of Sarah's death and burial.

Genesis 24

What did I learn of God? - When He instigates prayer He gives what is asked for.

What did I learn of myself? - God doesn't force me to do what He wants, but waits for me to be willing to do His Will. I must be 'going' with Him before I can be led anywhere (a stationary vehicle cannot be steered anywhere) I mustn't jump to conclusions as they may be wrong.

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy, Truth and Faithfulness

What did I pray for? - Increased faith and wisdom.

What does this say in one sentence? - Abraham sent his servant to his brother's family for a wife for Isaac; the servant trusted God to lead him to the right girl, took Rebekah back with him, and she became Isaac's wife.

Note:- I must be careful regarding what I pray for, ensuring it is God’s Will for me and not just my own desire which may have unwelcome repercussions.

ETHOS
Sep 10th 2012, 08:32 PM
Genesis 1 - 2:3
[/I] – God Created the universe and everything in it in 6 x 24 hour days, and rested on the 7th.

How can 6 x 24 hours days be right when Genesis 2:4 says:-

This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.

This say that the 6 days of creation be 24 hrs., how can that be so when thoes 6 days are in God's eyes are ONE DAY?

Frances
Sep 11th 2012, 04:53 PM
We talk of 'in grandfather's day' don't we - meaning the time he was alive, not the time he was alive in God's eyes. Genesis makes abundantly clear that God created in 6x24 hour days and rested on the 7th.

Frances
Sep 11th 2012, 04:54 PM
Genesis 25

What did I learn of God? - He Blessed Isaac. He enabled Rebekah to conceive after prayer on her behalf. He ensured the family-tree from Adam through Abraham was preserved.

What did I learn of myself? - God knows all of my family tree. Do I value the 'rights' of my New Birth sufficiently? or have I given them away for the 'joys' of worldly things I desire? Have I despised my New Birthright?

What did I praise God for? - Ensuring His Promises will be fulfilled, and for the Blessings of New Birth.

What did I pray for? - Encouragement for those who put Him and His Word above every other consideration.

What does this say in one sentence? - Abraham married again, having 6 more sons and also children by concubines, before he died leaving everything to Isaac. Isaac prayed for his barren wife, who then conceived twins – Esau, who sold his birthright for food, and Jacob; Ishmael(Hagar’s son) had 12 sons.

Frances
Sep 12th 2012, 04:24 PM
Genesis 26

What did I learn of God? - He ratified, to Isaac, the Covenant He'd made with Abraham regarding his descendants and the land. He Blessed Isaac while he lived in Gerar (where he'd gone due to the drought) He appeared to Isaac at Beersheba (so called because his servants dug a well there(Beer = well) and called it Shebah ‘oath’ or ‘seven’) saying "Do not fear for I am with you . . ."

What did I learn of myself? - God will always be with me if I obey Him.

What did I praise God for? - His Covenants.

What did I pray for? - That Abraham's descendants return to Him and recognize Jesus Christ their Messiah.

What does this say in one sentence? - God ratified His Covenant with Abraham and Isaac and their descendants; Abraham made a treaty with Abimelech the king of Gerar, and his servants dug a well and called it Beer-Shebah (well of Oaths, or of 7)

Frances
Sep 13th 2012, 04:50 PM
Genesis 27

What did I learn of God? – He doesn’t stop His people acting deceitfully.

What did I learn of myself? -- I, too, have not always acted righteously.

What did I praise God for? - Allowing the freedom/responsibility to choose either good or evil.

What did I pray for? - That He will over-rule my thoughts, words and actions that have not, or do not, conform to His Will.

What does this say in one sentence? - Rebekah encouraged Jacob to deceive Isaac and so obtain the birthright Esau had 'sold' him; Esau was angry so Rebekah sent Jacob to her brother Laban, telling Isaac he was going there to get a wife, as she couldn't bear him to marry a 'daughter of Heth' as Esau had.

Query:- If I act deceitfully will God ensure I am treated deceitfully by others?

Frances
Sep 14th 2012, 04:43 PM
Genesis 28

What did I learn of God? - He met Jacob in a dream. He gave Jacob the same Promises He'd given Abraham and Isaac - to give him the land of Canaan - and that his descendants would be a blessing to mankind. He Promised to be with Jacob wherever he went and bring him back to the land he'd given him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I give God tithes as He is my God? God sometimes uses dreams to influence me (eg. when I was trying to evade responsibility I had nightmares of running away from a shadow until I could walk no further . . . etc.) so I have learned it is much less stressful to do what He wants and not do what offends Him.

What did I praise God for? - Leading me His Way in spite of my reluctance, and for closing doors to past joys that have served their purpose.

What did I pray for? - That He will always insist on my total submission (as I know it is for my ultimate benefit)

What does this say in one sentence? - Isaac blessed Jacob and sent him to his uncle Laban to find a wife; on the way God met him in a dream and re-affirmed His Promises to Abraham and Isaac would be through Jacob and promised to bring him back to the land He'd given Abraham; Esau married one of Ishmael's daughters as well as his other wives.

Quote:- (Robert Browning) “I walked a mile with Pleasure, she chatted all the way, but left me none the wiser for all she had to say. I walked a mile with Sorrow, and ne’er a word said she; but oh the things I learned from her, when Sorrow walked with me.”

Frances
Sep 15th 2012, 04:33 PM
Genesis 29

What did I learn of God? - He guides those who are willing to follow His directions, to the places and people of His choice for them.

What did I learn of myself? - God is more concerned with my character than my happiness. He may ensure I am treated in the same way as I treat others so I learn to 'do as I would be done by'.

What did I praise God for? - Desiring the best for me, encouraging me to grow more Christ-like.

What did I pray for? - To accept His discipline with good grace and glorify Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob met and loved Rachel, agreeing to work 7 years for her father to be able to marry her but found, too late, he'd married her sister Leah instead, so married Rachel too, working another 7 years for her; Leah had children but Rachel was barren.

Frances
Sep 16th 2012, 11:25 AM
Genesis 29

What did I learn of God? - He guides those who are willing to follow His directions, to the places and people of His choice for them.

What did I learn of myself? - God is more concerned with my character than my happiness. He may ensure I am treated in the same way as I treat others so I learn to 'do as I would be done by'.

What did I praise God for? - Desiring the best for me, encouraging me to grow more Christ-like.

What did I pray for? - To accept His discipline with good grace and glorify Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob met and loved Rachel, agreeing to work 7 years for her father to be able to marry her but found, too late, he'd married her sister Leah instead, so married Rachel too, working another 7 years for her; Leah had children but Rachel was barren.

Frances
Sep 17th 2012, 01:02 PM
Genesis 30

What did I learn of God? - He Blessed Laban because Jacob worked for him. He will Bless those who bless His people.

What did I learn of myself? - God is with me and will work through me for the good of those who I’m associated with. I don't always recognize His Blessings at the time, or realize He doesn't need my worldly 'help'.

What did I praise God for? - His Will is done in spite of, not because of, my 'help'.

What did I pray for? - To allow Him to work through me, unhindered by my 'help'.

What does this say in one sentence? - Rachel and Leah's ways of trying to influence natural processes to have children, Rachel’s theft of Laban's idols, Jacobs statement of death for the thief, his covenant with Laban, and his deceitfulness.

Query:- Would I be happy for everything I have said to happen now, or in the future? Would I be wise to consider possible consequences before I speak?

Frances
Sep 18th 2012, 03:52 PM
Genesis 31

What did I learn of God? - He protected Jacob and enabled him to prosper in spite of his attempted deception. He brings good out of evil. He does not Bless theft, though He may allow detection of it to be prevented.

What did I learn of myself? - God Blesses me in spite of my 'help' not because of it.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness even when His people are unfaithful to Him.

What did I pray for? - To do and say only what will please Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob took his family, flocks and herds and fled from Laban, who pursued them and demanded his 'household gods' that Rachel had taken - Jacob said whoever had stolen them would die, but they were not found, then Laban and Jacob made a covenant to keep away from each other.

Note:- ‘Mizpah’ meaning “May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent from one another” was not said in friendship, but to someone who was not trusted.

Frances
Sep 19th 2012, 05:06 PM
Genesis 32

What did I learn of God? - He enabled Jacob to see His angels. He was faithful to Jacob. He wrestled with him dislocating Jacob’s hip. He renamed Jacob - Israel (prince with God)

What did I learn of myself? - God's Blessing and pain often go together.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to all those who trust Him.

What did I pray for? - That I will always be faithful to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob let Esau know he was returning, then sent groups of various animals ahead as presents for him; he wrestled all night with God, who Blessed him and dislocated his hip.

Quote:- (Francis of Assissi)”Lord, make me an instrument of Your Peace.
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light; and
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
To be understood, and so understand;
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and
It is in dying that we are born to eternal Life.”

Frances
Sep 20th 2012, 11:48 AM
Genesis 33

What did I learn of God? - He kept His Promise to Jacob(Gen.28)

What did I learn of myself? - God keeps His Promises to me as well. Do I always keep my promises to God - and to other people?

What did I praise God for? - Keeping His Promises.

What did I pray for? - To always keep my promises, however hard it may be.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob and Esau met as friends, then Jacob built a house in Succoth before going to Shechem where he erected an altar to 'God, the God of Israel'.

Frances
Sep 21st 2012, 04:10 PM
Genesis 34

What does this say in one sentence? – The Hivite prince of Shechem loved Jacob's daughter Dinah, defiled her and wanted to marry her. Jacob and her brothers would only agree if all the male Hivites were circumcised – then while they were sore Dinah’s brothers killed their leaders. Jacob was angry.

Query:- Do I ever act deceitfully with ulterior motives – causing future troubles?

Genesis 35

What did I learn of God? - He told Jacob to go to Luz in Canaan (which Jacob had renamed Bethel). God appeared to Jacob there confirming that He had given the land of Canaan to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob for ever.(Gen.28:19) and renamed him Israel.

What did I learn of myself? - Worship of God must be wholehearted. I must not have any 'foreign gods'. My words may have unexpected powerful consequences. . .

What did I praise God for? - Requiring total purity of worship.

What did I pray for? - that He will ensure I discern, and repent of, any attitude or thing that prevents me worshipping Him as He deserves.

What does this say in one sentence? - God told Jacob to return to Bethel so he told everyone to 'put away all foreign gods' (which he buried at Shechem but didn't destroy) - then at Bethel God confirmed his Promise of the land of Canaan to Jacob and his descendants and renamed Jacob ‘Israel’; Rachel died as Benjamin was born (confirming Jacob's statement that whoever had stolen Laban's idols would die) then Jacob went to Isaac and was with him when he died.

Frances
Sep 22nd 2012, 12:14 PM
Genesis 36 - refers to the descendants of Esau who, having left Canaan for Jacob’s benefit, lived at Mount Seir the descendants of Seir the Horite who inhabited the land, and the kings of Edom who reigned before the children of Israel had any kings.

Genesis 37

What did I learn of God? - He sometimes shows the future in symbolic dreams. He sometimes allows His people to suffer to prepare them for future Service.

What did I learn of myself? - The fulfillment of symbolic dreams may be immediate or years hence. God only allows me to be persecuted if He will ultimately be Glorified through my suffering (if I become 'better not bitter') and/or to encourage me to move elsewhere (physically or metaphorically).

What did I praise God for? - His Foreknowledge, Wisdom and Love.

What did I pray for? - To be willing to follow Him wherever He leads me, always discerning the Tempter. . .

What does this say in one sentence? - Joseph (Jacob's favourite son) dreamed his brothers would bow down to him, so they sold him into slavery, then he was re-sold to Potiphar an Egyptian captain of Pharaoh's guard.

Frances
Sep 24th 2012, 07:19 AM
Genesis 38

What did I learn of God? - Those who are 'wicked in His Sight' (all of us?) sign their own death warrant and only He can alter that Sentence.

What did I pray for? - Thanksgiving to God the Son who died in my place.

What does this say in one sentence? - Judah's relationship with Tamar resulted in twins, Perez and Zerah.

Genesis 39
What did I learn of God? - He was Merciful to Joseph enabling everything he did to prosper in Potiphar's house and in prison. He allows temptation, to test His people.

What did I learn of myself? - God is with me and is Merciful to me in what I regard as good times and bad. I may suffer for being true to God and His Word.

What did I praise God for? - That He is with those who put His pleasure before their own.

What did I pray for? - His Strength to resist temptation.

What does this say in one sentence? - Potiphar bought Joseph as his slave and eventually made him overseer of all he had; Potiphar's wife tried to seduce Joseph but failed, so lied about him and he was put in prison - even there God was with him and enabled everything he did to prosper.

Frances
Sep 25th 2012, 06:24 AM
Genesis 40

What did I learn of God? - He is able to give the ungodly prophetic dreams to serve His Purposes.

What did I learn of myself? - I may be forgotten by those the Lord has enabled me to help too. God is always active on my behalf even when nothing good seems to be happening.

What did I praise God for? - His unfailing Love.

What did I pray for? - That my faith / trust in Him will continue to grow in and through my difficulties, knowing He will ultimately bring 'light' out of 'darkness'.

What does this say in one sentence? - When Pharaoh's chief butler and chief baker were imprisoned with Joseph they both had prophetic dreams that God enabled Joseph to interpret correctly; the butler forgot Joseph.

Frances
Sep 26th 2012, 06:07 AM
Genesis 41

What did I learn of God? - He is not always in a hurry to relieve our discomfort (he waited 2 years before arranging for Joseph to be remembered)

What did I learn of myself? - I can always trust God to be working for my good in the most unlikely ways. The only way I can help in difficult circumstances is to always be true to God. Do I wait patiently for His Timing and take every opportunity to Glorify Him?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom

What did I pray for? - Wisdom and Patience.

What does this say in one sentence? - Pharaoh had 2 strange dreams, the butler remembered Joseph, God enabled him to interpret the dreams, he was given power and authority to prepare for famine, and administer food distribution in it.

Query:- Have I always given credit where it is due?

Frances
Sep 27th 2012, 06:01 AM
Genesis 42

What did I learn of God? - He works all things together for good towards those who love God and are called according to His Purpose - Romans 8:28). He still preserves(will always preserve) the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He 'works in a mysterious way his wonders to perform'

What did I learn of myself? - 'Calamities' God has allowed in my life may, even now, be gaining Glory for Him by fulfilling His Purposes. Seed I allow Him to sow through me will bear fruit for Him, in His Time and His Way.

What did I praise God for - His Purposes are always fulfilled at the right time.

What did I pray for - That He will use me in ways He chooses to fulfill His Purposes and to Glorify Himself.

What does this say in one sentence - Jacob sent all His sons except Benjamin to Egypt for grain during a famine, Joseph recognized his brothers, insisted they were spies, said they could buy some grain but he was keeping one of them in prison until they returned with their younger brother to prove their innocence; then his father Jacob refused to let Benjamin go.

Frances
Sep 28th 2012, 04:01 PM
Genesis 43

What did I learn of God - He always fulfills His Word.

What does this say in one sentence - Joseph's brothers returned with Benjamin intending to prove their honesty.

Genesis 44

What did I learn of God - His Way between two fixed points may follow a roundabout route.

What did I learn of myself - I depend on Jesus Christ to intercede on my behalf.

What did I praise God for - His Provision of Love for me.

What did I pray for – Thanksgiving for His provision.

What does this say in one sentence - Joseph ordered his brother's money to be put in the top of their sacks of grain, and also his silver cup to be put in Benjamin's sack; then he sent his steward to accuse Benjamin of stealing the cup . . . .Judah interceded with Joseph for Benjamin.

Frances
Sep 29th 2012, 04:48 PM
Genesis 45

What did I learn of God - He allows apparent calamities to bring about greater future benefit. (It has been suggested that this chapter is prophetic regarding Jesus Christ revealing Himself to the Jews in future.)

What did I learn of myself - I am in this place in my Lord God's keeping, to serve His purpose, and it is not necessary for me to know what the end results may be – dependant on whether or not I am faithful to Him.

What did I praise God for - His Wisdom, Power and Authority to bring about His Purposes in His Way.

What did I pray for - To fulfill His purposes for me and Glorify Him.

What does this say in one sentence - Joseph revealed himself to his brothers and told them to fetch their father and all their families and livestock, as the famine would last 5 more years; Pharaoh offered them the best land in Egypt and carts to carry their wives and children.

Frances
Sep 30th 2012, 03:48 PM
Genesis 46

What did I learn of God - He told Jacob, in a Vision, that He would make a great nation of his descendants in Egypt and would return them to Canaan. (had He encouraged the Egyptians to consider shepherds 'an abomination' so the Israelites would be given the best grazing in Goshen?)

What did I learn of myself - I am a very small cog in the big wheel of God's Purposes.

What did I praise God for - Working all things together for the ultimate good of His people.

What did I pray for - To always do what He says to me, when He says it, without asking 'why.’

What does this say in one sentence - God said He'd go with Jacob and his family to Egypt, then bring them back after he'd seen Joseph and died, so they went and settled in Goshen with their flocks and herds.

Quote:- (Dennis Corrigan) “Gethsemane teaches us that the Kingdom of God is entered only through a denial of one’s own will, and the affirmation of the Will of God. Therefore, the Cross must stand central to an understanding of the Kingdom. Since the essence of the Kingdom is our obedience to the absolute Will of God, we understand it only as we bring our own will to the foot of the Cross. No self-will can live unchallenged in God’s Kingdom”

Frances
Oct 1st 2012, 04:26 PM
Genesis 47

What did I learn of God? - He cares for those who worship and are obedient to Him. He Blesses those who bless His people. He doesn't always choose the most able, in worldly terms, to Glorify Him.

What did I learn of myself? - The humblest occupation can be the means of great Blessing. I should seek to bless those who have authority over me.

What did I praise God for? - His foresight and preparation for His people and His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - To be content in my present situation, while always prepared to follow where my Lord leads and go through doors He opens.

What does this say in one sentence? What does - Joseph presented his father and brothers to Pharaoh; before the famine ended Pharaoh had acquired all the cattle and land of the Egyptians, in exchange for bread; then Joseph decreed that Pharaoh would always receive one fifth of all the land produced, and promised to bury Jacob alongside Abraham and Isaac.

Frances
Oct 2nd 2012, 04:34 PM
Genesis 48

What did I learn of God? - He is not obligated to abide by mankind's decisions.

What did I learn of myself? - I am not Blessed by God because of the order of birth of my siblings and myself, but because it is His choice to Bless each of us in different ways.

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings.

What did I pray for? - To know who to give what I have gained, and in what proportion; and having gained from the past keep looking ahead.

What does this say in one sentence? – Jacob told Joseph of the time God met him in Luz, he then claimed Joseph’s two sons as his own and said the younger would be greater than the elder.

Frances
Oct 3rd 2012, 04:29 PM
Genesis 49

What did I learn of God? - He enabled Jacob to prophecy over his sons.

What did I learn of myself? - When I have completed the tasks God has given me I, too, will die.

What did I praise God for? – One day my earthly pilgrimage will be over.

What did I pray for? - Knowledge and wisdom regarding how to be healthy in body mind and spirit till the end of my life on earth.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob's last words to his sons, and his death.

Frances
Oct 4th 2012, 04:57 PM
Genesis 50

What did I learn of God? - Sometimes He allows what appears to be evil to happen, knowing good will come from it.

What did I learn of myself? - God only allows folk to hurt me when He will use what I learn from the experience to Bless me and others.

What did I praise God for? - Teaching me His Way.

What did I pray for? - Fortitude.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jacob's family, and all the elders of Egypt, took the embalmed body of Jacob to the grave he'd dug in the field Abraham had bought; Joseph reassured his brothers that when they had meant to harm him God had allowed the situation, to use it for their good . . . he died at 110 years (1805 BC)

Quote:- (Frederick Beuchner) “Of the seven deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back; in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you.”