PDA

View Full Version : sales ethics in church

annmarie
Aug 19th 2012, 06:41 PM
just as church service was over, another member turned to me and ask me to purchase candy he was selling to help another member. It made me uncomfortable to complete a sales transaction inside of the worship area. I voiced this and he tried to justify it as it was for a good cause. He tried to tell me it was no different from our tithing or offerings. I beg to differ. I give to God expecting NOTHING in return. I see his transaction as a sale, where I get merchandise in return. Was I wrong to speak up about this?

Old man
Aug 19th 2012, 09:32 PM
just as church service was over, another member turned to me and ask me to purchase candy he was selling to help another member. It made me uncomfortable to complete a sales transaction inside of the worship area. I voiced this and he tried to justify it as it was for a good cause. He tried to tell me it was no different from our tithing or offerings. I beg to differ. I give to God expecting NOTHING in return. I see his transaction as a sale, where I get merchandise in return. Was I wrong to speak up about this?

I would have to agree that there is a huge difference between tithing and offerings and selling candy.

As to whether you were right or wrong? I would say you were in the right to let him know your view on this and your desire to keep the sanctuary as a place of ministry for after-service prayer and such.

Was it wrong for him to try to sell you something in there? That would depend on how your pastor views it and if he would see it as disrespectful or not.

How was the selling of candy going to help the other member? Was there such an immediate need that it couldn't have waited till you were somewhere else (outside or in a fellowship hall of sort)?

To me it would depend greatly on why the candy was being sold and what was currently going on in the sanctuary at the time.

Just thinking out loud, never really thought of it until now.

Ta-An
Aug 19th 2012, 09:38 PM
just as church service was over, another member turned to me and ask me to purchase candy he was selling to help another member. It made me uncomfortable to complete a sales transaction inside of the worship area. I voiced this and he tried to justify it as it was for a good cause. He tried to tell me it was no different from our tithing or offerings. I beg to differ. I give to God expecting NOTHING in return. I see his transaction as a sale, where I get merchandise in return. Was I wrong to speak up about this? You say the service was over.... if you took offense, you could have said : Just wait and speak to me outside the church.
To some people the church building is a place of brick and mortar

Raybob
Aug 20th 2012, 08:26 AM
I know someone that attends services once in a while. It really seems he just comes so he can sell his company's garage doors. I figure if he keeps coming around, someday, he may actually hear a message that may just hit him in the heart, before it's too late.

tango
Aug 20th 2012, 09:40 AM

If you feel uncomfortable with the transaction then don't buy the candy, and feel free to tell the other member why.

Personally if you want to buy candy, whether to help another member or just because you fancy some candy, I don't see it makes a difference whether you do it in the same room as the worship or in another room or anywhere else. That said if you're doing it to help another church member it might be more effective to just give them some money rather than going through the motions of buying candy you don't want so they can make less money. If you're going to spend $10 to help them you're better off giving them the $10 rather than buying $10 worth of candy that cost them $4 to buy or make, leaving them with $6.