PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Old Testament book?

JoeyP
Sep 1st 2012, 03:10 AM
My favorite book in the entire Bible is Job. I really believe that entire foundation for man's conflict on earth can be found in this book. If I was teaching a Bible Study course...this is the book that would be the first to be expounded on.

Not only is it beautifully written...but the message contained is relevant to this day.

I was wanting to discuss with others what their favorite books were..and why they are special to you?

I can say the book of Job helps me in my life everyday....any type of sorrow or pain (and i'm going through a terrible marital separation right now) i have found comfort in this book. While Psalms (and I love the inspiring words in those passages) can lift up....Job really gets to the heart of the matter...there's no declaratory praise...its just the truth. Job, a man at the bottom, in the gutter...in a hole...looking up to God. Asking why? Why would a great and righteous God, allow Satan to harm his followers? I believe the message of Job is that God allows bad things to happen...for reasons that we cant understand...but that its our reaction to those bad things that can inspire others and give greater glory to God.

For though he strikes me, yet will I trust Him....its the ultimate test of faith, and this is the basis for our Christian lives.

The other 2 books in the Old Testament I really like are Ruth and Jonah..two small books yet with such powerful lines.
"I called to the Lord out of my distress, and He answered me"...you dont know how many times i have recited this in suffering.

From Ruth (which I love this passage as well): "16 But Ruth said, "Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you; for where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God;17 where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if even death parts me from you."

Ceegen
Sep 1st 2012, 03:56 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I loved the book of Job, because I could relate to it. I tried to be like Job, and never give up. That was some of the first scripture I've ever really "read" with eyes wide open. I was in love ever since then with the Word of God.

But I think I'd have to go with the entire thing. I can't pick just one. The entire story is amazing.

Luciano Vinci
Sep 1st 2012, 05:16 PM
I like Esther because it shows the Hand of the Lord at work throughout the book without ever mentioning Him. Its a wonderful picture of the Bride of Christ being prepared to meet the King, and then to rule and reign with Him over the Kingdom.

I like Ruth because its the only OT book that doesn't mention war, bloodshed, violence, etc. It's a great respite in the middle of some of the most tumultuous times of the Judges where everyone was doing what was right in their own eyes.

And finally, I enjoy Ecclesiastes. Whenever I find myself, on one hand, becoming attached to the pleasures of this life or on the other hand, when I am distressed over the evil that permeates society, I am brought to my senses by the sobering words that everything in this life is vanity, whether pleasureful or painful. It all passes away, but the Word of the Lord remains.