PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Matthew

Frances
Oct 5th 2012, 03:46 PM
Matthew 1

What have I learned of God? - God conceived Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit.
His Name ‘Jesus’ means Saviour; Jesus was also named Immanuel which means 'God with us'.

What have I learned about myself? - If Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour. He is always with me.

What have I praised God for?- His Love for all mankind. His willingness to become a human, to live with us and to Save us.

What have I prayed about? - That, like Joseph, I will obey God even when I can see grave difficulties ahead.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Genealogy links God's Promise to Abraham ( Genesis 12:3b "in you shall all families on earth be Blessed") to its fulfillment in the child Mary conceived when a virgin; and although Joseph married Mary the marriage was not consummated until after Jesus, who is also named Emmanuel(God with us), was born.

Frances
Oct 7th 2012, 02:35 PM
Matthew 2

What have I learned of God? - Jesus was born in Bethlehem, fulfilling the prophecy of Micah 5:2; a star marked the place of His birth as a human. Although God protected Jesus Christ by sending Joseph and Mary to Egypt many other babies were killed,
fulfilling the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:15. When Herod was dead God told Joseph to return to Nazareth in Israel.

What have I learned about myself? – I may have to suffer for the greater good.

What did I praise God for? - Choosing a man who worshipped Him (Abraham) to found a nation (Israel) who would worship Him, into which Christ could be born; foretelling His birth in detail through various people and fulfilling every detail - to enable the Salvation of mankind.

What did I pray about? - That I will always heed God's Word to me and so keep out of danger.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jesus was born in Bethlehem, was taken by Joseph and Mary to Egypt; then returned to Israel after Herod died, and settled in Nazareth.

Frances
Oct 8th 2012, 02:21 PM
Matthew 3

What have I learned of God? - He endorsed baptism signifying repentance. He motivated John the Baptist to 'prepare a Way for the Lord' by powerful preaching in the desert. Jesus endorsed baptism as a demonstration of a turning point in life by being baptised Himself. God demonstrated the Trinity when Jesus came out of the water when the Holy Spirit landed on Him like a Dove and the Father spoke from Heaven, calling Jesus His unique Son..

What have I learned about myself? My need to repent all Sin and to be baptised (immersed) in water, also to 'show fruit worthy of repentance'. I need to Baptised with the Holy Spirit too (personal Pentecost).

What did I praise God for? - Making His Way so abundantly clear.

What did I pray about? – Thanksgiving for my Salvation.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Many people were baptised by John, including Sadducees and Pharisees; though John objected, Jesus also went to be baptised, as He came up out of the water God's Holy Spirit alighted on Him and God spoke from Heaven, ensuring the Trinity were present at the start of Christ's Ministry.

Frances
Oct 9th 2012, 04:55 PM
Matthew 4

What have I learned of God?- Jesus didn't live an exalted life on earth, but experienced similar temptations to all mankind He healed everyone who came to Him

What have I learned about myself? - God gives me His Strength to resist all temptation, to make life easier and les painful for myself.

What did I praise God for? - His Life and Strength

What did I pray about? - To always be faithful to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - After His baptism Jesus was tempted regarding physical hunger, worldly power and widespread adulation if He'd worship Satan - and He resisted each one; He went to Galilee to start His Ministry, calling 4 men to follow Him, then traveled widely preaching the Gospel, Healing folk of every kind of disease.

Frances
Oct 10th 2012, 06:01 PM
Matthew 5:1-26

What have I learned of God? He doesn't promise to take His servants out of tribulation. He desires obedience with purity of heart, mind and actions, and will Bless those who are intent on pleasing Him.

What have I learned about myself? God will not accept a gift from me if I don't, first, try to be reconciled to everyone I have offended. Trusting God does not necessarily ensure preferential treatment.

What did I praise God for? - His written Word.

What did I pray about? - Spiritual and physical strength and ability to always do God's Will.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jesus told the multitude He came to fulfill the Law not to destroy it. Those who God would Bless are those who know their need of God, obey Him, hunger and thirst for Righteousness, the merciful, the pure in heart, and the peacemakers.

Frances
Oct 11th 2012, 04:04 PM
Matthew 5: 27- 48

What have I learned of God? He is perfect in all His Ways.

What have I learned about myself? - Promises made to people are made to the Lord too, and I must keep each one. My word must be my bond (legally binding). I must do for others as I would have them do for me. I must not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good. I must love my enemies, do good to those who hate me, bless those who curse me, and pray for those who are spiteful or persecute me.

What did I praise God for - Enabling/encouraging His people to aim for perfection.

What did I pray about?- Thanksgiving for encouraging me to rise to His standards and Forgiveness when I, too often fail and, repent.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jesus raised the requirement of behaviour for His followers from 'keeping the letter of the Law' to abiding by the wider aspects of the Law interpreted with God's Love.

Frances
Oct 12th 2012, 04:39 PM
Matthew 6

What have I learned of God? - He is my provider He is willing to forgive His people – including me .

What have I learned about myself?- I must pray without vain repetition, give charitably in secret and use verses 9-13 as a reminder of how to pray; not make a show of fasting; use wealth in God's service, and not acquire things that rot, rust or are stolen. I must seek God's Righteousness before all else and not worry, but trust Him to provide everything I need.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to me in every situation.

What did I pray about? - Healing and/or wisdom regarding medication and food.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Concern yourself with God's Kingdom and His Righteousness and He will ensure your needs are met.

Frances
Oct 13th 2012, 04:19 PM
Matthew 7

What have I learned of God?- He will Judge me in the same way I judge others.
He will give what I ask for, enable me to find what I seek, and open doors I knock on - in the way best for me - if I am His child. Christ's Words are the Rock to build my life on.

What have I learned about myself? - I will be treated as I treat others. Those who have no desire for God will attack me when I speak of Him. I must ask for, and seek, what I need and investigate possibilities. What God allows will be best for me in some way. I must do as I would be done by. I must not expect to get to heaven unless I follow God wherever He leads. I must examine a person's life before I fully accept their words, as Christ will examine mine. I must build my life on the immovable stability of God's Word.

What did I praise God for? - My 'Maker's Instruction Manuel' (His Word – the Holy Bible) showing the way to a healthy, happy life.

What did I pray about? - To please God in every way.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God judges me in the same way I judge others; I must ask God for, and seek what I need; beware of false prophets; act on Christ's Words and enter God's Kingdom through Him.

Frances
Oct 14th 2012, 03:00 PM
Matthew 8

What have I learned of God? - Jesus Healed, and cast out evil spirits from all who had faith in His Power to Heal, He made clear that following Him would not be easy, but neither must it be a secondary consideration. Doing His will must always come first. He has Power over all the forces of nature.(eg. wind and waves) What He says He'll do happens. He values one person more highly than many animals.

What have I learned about myself? - Christ is capable of Healing me too . . . if it is in my best interests. I don't doubt His ability or my faith in Him to Heal me, so I accept that it is not in my Eternal best interests to be physically Healed at this time. Christ must come first in my life - before every other consideration.

What did I praise God for? - His unlimited Power and Authority.

What did I pray about? - Thanksgiving that He knows what is best for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jesus cleansed a leper, a centurion's servant, Peter's mother in law, and many who were demon-possessed, said He expects instant obedience when He speaks - then calmed a storm and sent demons into a herd of pigs that then drowned.

Frances
Oct 15th 2012, 04:15 PM
Matthew 10

What have I learned of God? - He gave Christ's disciples His Power over evil spirits and, through them, Healed all kinds of sicknesses and diseases, Raised the dead, freely giving His disciples what they had received from Jesus Christ, sending them out as 'sheep among wolves'. Christ promised to acknowledge, as His, those who acknowledge Him to men, and said He would deny those who deny Him. He said those who do not follow Him into Battle are not worthy of Him. He Promises a reward to those who help those who are His.

What have I learned about myself? - I must make Christ known to my own countrymen, bless each household I enter with Peace, but accept nothing from those who will not accept Christ. I must not antagonize folk but must expect to be persecuted - yet I must not fear any human being knowing that though they may kill my body they cannot kill the essential 'me'. What I hear from Christ I must preach.

What did I praise God for? - His unlimited Power.

What did I pray about? - Opportunities to pass on to others what God has given me.

What is this saying in one sentence ? - Jesus sent His 12 disciples to Preach, Cleanse and Heal the Jews in His Name, with no physical means of defense yet expecting persecution - knowing God was aware of everything that happened and would reward accordingly.

Frances
Oct 16th 2012, 04:51 PM
Matthew 11

What have I learned of God?- He Heals folk and raises the dead to life. He reveals things of value to those considered ‘uneducated’ by 'the world', and hid them from those who 'the world' considers wise. Father God and Jesus Christ really know each other, and the Father is also known to those Christ reveals Him to. Christ gives rest to all who go to Him. His yoke is easy and His burden light - in comparison to living without Him.

What have I learned about myself? - I was 'dead' in Sin until I repented and decided to trust Christ and was, then, 'risen from the dead' to New Life in Him.

What did I praise God for? - His Truth and compassion.

What did I pray for? - Greater understanding of His Ways.

What is this saying in one sentence? - John the Baptist, in prison, sent his disciples to ask Jesus if He was indeed the Messiah; He replied by quoting miracles He'd done, and told the crowd "the least in the Kingdom of Heaven was greater than John the Baptist - who was the prophesied Elijah, and that Judgment on Sodom would prove to be less severe than for those who had witnessed His miracles without trusting Him. His 'yoke is easy and His burden light'.

Frances
Oct 17th 2012, 04:31 PM
Matthew 12:1-30

What have I learned of God? There are some occasions when rules may be broken for reason of mercy. Christ is Lord. He regards a man of far greater value than an animal. He was willing to upset church leaders who didn't understand true worship. Multitudes followed Christ and He Healed them all; He was careful to fulfill prophecy about Himself. Christ cast out demons by the Power of the Spirit of God.

What have I learned about myself? - I must adhere to the merciful aspects of the Laws of God. If I am not 'with Him' I am acting against Him, and if I don't seek to bring folk into His Kingdom I'm actively working against Him.

What did I praise God for? - Using His Power to encourage others into His Kingdom.

What did I pray about? - More opportunities to lead others to Christ.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Christ told the Pharisees God regards mercy more highly than sacrifice, mankind more highly than animals - also that He casts out demons by the Holy Spirit's Power, making the Kingdom of God available.

Frances
Oct 18th 2012, 03:46 PM
Matthew 12:31- 50

What have I learned of God? - Blasphemy against God's Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. Jesus would be buried for 3 days. None of Christ's earthly relationships counted for anything special, but whoever does the Will of His Heavenly Father has a relationship with Him.

What have I learned about myself? - I am known by my actions, not by my thoughts and desires. I will have to explain to God why I've said every thoughtless word, as I will be justified or condemned by my words!! I must be ‘filled’ by Christ to prevent 'unclean spirits' having the opportunity to live in me. Only if I do God's Will can I have a relationship with Christ.

What did I praise God for? - Being a Just Judge.

What did I pray about? - Wisdom.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Christ said the Kingdom of God is demonstrated by His ability to overpower Satan's actions and Heal; everyone is either with or against Him; whoever speaks against God's Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; we say what is in our hearts, and will be Judged accordingly by God; Christ would be buried for 3 days; we need to be filled with His Holy Spirit to prevent 'unclean spirits' having access to us; physical relationship to Christ gave no special advantages, but obedience to God gives the advantage of Spiritual relationship to Christ.

Frances
Oct 19th 2012, 03:56 PM
Matthew 13

What have I learned of God? - He sometimes speaks in parables, giving those who are seeking Him for Himself understanding, but hiding the meaning from casual enquirers. He makes seeds of knowledge of Himself widely available, knowing only a fraction will grow to maturity, and that Satan will sow distrust, human wisdom, and difficulty at the same time. The treasure of knowledge of Himself, though sometimes hidden, will never be lost, One day Christ's true disciples will be separated into His Heavenly Kingdom and the rest discarded.

What have I learned about myself? - I must ensure I'm rooted and grounded in Christ, and expect to have to withstand all manner of discouragement as I grow in Christ. I must expect each Christian organisation to contain both 'wheat and tares'. I must be willing to give everything I have to be faithful to Christ. I must learn of Him in both Old and New Testaments.

What did I praise God for? - Encouraging me to persevere.

What did I pray about? - A greater desire to know Him and His Word.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The great value of growing in knowledge of God has no equal yet will only be attained, in spite of difficulties, by determining to seek understanding of Him and His Ways; and realise not all who apparently follow Christ will persevere too.

Frances
Oct 20th 2012, 04:06 PM
Matthew 14

What have I learned of God? - He grieves when those He cares about are ill-treated. He has compassion. He performs miracles, for example multiplying food, Healing the sick, controlling the weather.

What have I learned about myself? - I need the sort of faith that will 'get out of the boat' to be with Jesus, knowing I'll sink if He doesn't keep me afloat. (but first making sure that is what He wants me to do).

What did I praise God for? - His Power and Authority over all He created.

What did I pray about? - Thanksgiving that although He hasn't physically Healed me yet I am constantly learning to know how to manage health problems and learning to accept limitations. . .

What is this saying in one sentence? - When Jesus heard John the Baptist had been beheaded He went to a deserted place to be alone, but was followed by about 5,000 families including many sick people, so He taught, fed and Healed them all; then sent them away, and sent the disciples across the lake while He went up the mountain to pray - then about 4am walked across the very rough sea to His disciples; when Peter saw Jesus he got out of the boat to walk to meet Him, saw the waves and started sinking but Jesus Saved him and rebuked him for his lack of faith.

Frances
Oct 21st 2012, 04:22 PM
Matthew 15

What have I learned of God? - "tradition" in place of the whole meaning of His commandments is not acceptable to Him. He is concerned with our hearts more than our words. He responds to faith. He Heals, He is able to multiply this world's resources when He chooses to. .

What have I learned about myself? - I will not be defiled by what I eat but by what I hear, see and think of - so I must be very careful what I allow into my mind. He is more concerned with what is in my heart than my words. He acts in response to my genuine faith.

What did I praise God for? - His Ability and His wisdom regarding using that ability.

What did I pray about? - To 'love Him more dearly, hear Him more clearly, follow Him more nearly" day by day.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God acknowledges no additions to His Commandments but acts in response to faith; mankind's thoughts defile, so disobeying man's traditions is not disobedience to Him; Jesus is Lord of all created things.

Frances
Oct 22nd 2012, 04:53 PM
Matthew 16

What have I learned of God? - He responds to faith, but not to 'testing to see if He is able'. Jesus is the Christ - the Anointed One, He builds His Church on that conviction in the hearts of mankind and to those who are totally convinced (as opposed to mental acceptance). He gives the Keys of Heaven (the knowledge that opens the door of Heaven) to them. He lets nothing deter Him from the course He knows is right/best in the long run.

What have I learned about myself? - I must not believe Pharisaical doctrines, or try to manipulate God in any way. As I know, without a shadow of doubt, that Jesus Christ is God, I also was given the 'Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven' to share with others. If I try to divert Christ from His Way I would be a 'tool of Satan'. I must deny my own wishes and embrace the difficulties that come my way in the course of doing God's Will.

What did I praise God for? - Stretching me in ways I would not have chosen.

What did I pray about? - That my faith in Him will continually increase, and never fail.

What is this saying in one sentence? - It is important to recognize the 'signs of the times' not to follow pharisaical doctrines; to know Christ is God; to deny my own desires and do His Will in all things.

Frances
Oct 23rd 2012, 05:53 PM
Matthew 17

What have I learned of God? - He reveals Himself in a special way to a few disciples but not to all. He does not offend unnecessarily.

What have I learned about myself? – I must heed what Christ said/says. If I am to be effective in whatever situation the Lord leads me into I must make every effort to be prepared - through fasting and prayer. I must pay all taxes as they become due.

What did I praise God for - His Compassion and His Joy that bubbles up through pain.

What did I pray about? - To have greater understanding and compassion.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jesus allowed Peter, James and John to witness a little of His Divine Glory as He talked with Moses and Elijah (who He said returned as John the Baptist); He cast a demon out of an epileptic boy that could only be removed by prayer and fasting – He told Peter to pay their taxes, on that occasion, with money from a fish's mouth.

Frances
Oct 24th 2012, 04:01 PM
Matthew 18:1-14

What have I learned of God? - The 'greatest' in His Kingdom are truly humble, like a little child. He requires true humility, which is doing what He says, when He says, without asking 'why?'. Anyone who despises, or causes, someone who trusts Him to Sin, will receive God's wrath. Christ came to earth to seek and to Save those who are 'lost' - just as a shepherd with 100 sheep will search for the one that is lost.

What have I learned about myself? God requires that I do His Will for me at once like a trusting child, without asking 'why?'. The way I treat the truly humble is the way I treat Him (be they child or adult). I must search, with Him, for His 'lost sheep' so they may be 'found' and not perish.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness.

What did I pray about? - Strength and determination to always do His Will for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jesus said the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven are folk who turn away from Sin and trust God as a little child; the way folk treat these truly humble folk is the way they are treating Christ, who came to search for and save those who are not submitted to Him, and therefore 'lost' - like a shepherd will search endlessly for a lost sheep, listening for it's faintest call, and constantly scanning the horizon hoping to see them coming.

Frances
Oct 25th 2012, 01:57 PM
Matthew 18:15-35

What have I learned of God? - He includes Himself in every group meeting in His Name. He expects His disciples to endlessly forgive, in the same way He Forgives us.

What have I learned about myself? - I must confront those who Sin against me in private, and only if that fails to resolve the issue involve others in trying to rectify the matter.

What did I praise God for? - His willingness to totally Forgive those who trust Christ - and ask Him to Forgive them.

What did I pray about? - That He will encourage me to always, instantly and totally, forgive all who Sin against me.

What is this saying in one sentence? Jesus said His disciples must personally confront those who Sin against them, and only if they refuse to repent tell others in the Church; and He told a parable to illustrate that His disciples must always forgive those who Sin against them or they will be 'tortured'.