PDA

View Full Version : Proclaiming the gospel, then and now

Evangelist
Oct 19th 2012, 07:55 PM
In the NT period, how was evangelizing done?
The gospel was preached by word of mouth.
And it seems this was usually accompanied by signs and wonders.

“And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them,
and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.” (Mark 16:20)

“… (the gospel message) was confirmed to us by those who heard Him (Jesus),
God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles,
and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will” (Hebrews 1:3-4)

The new believers joined churches where they received more word-of-mouth training.

Today, how is evangelizing done?
The gospel is preached by word of mouth.
Pentecostals, here and abroad, do their best to preach the gospel with signs and wonders.
In these meetings, people don’t become believers by reading gospel tracts or NTs.
They respond to the spoken word and the confirming signs, as in NT times.
The new believers join churches where they receive more word-of-mouth training,
and also written materials which help them grow.

Today, when evangelists preach the gospel …
how does them having the completed canon of Scripture change anything?
The preaching and the saving is all done verbally.

Why should evangelists no longer desire the benefit of confirming signs and wonders?
Why would the Lord want to change His tried-and-true method of evangelizing?

ContractKeeper
Oct 19th 2012, 08:19 PM

and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will” (Hebrews 1:3-4)

The new believers joined churches where they received more word-of-mouth training.

Today, how is evangelizing done?
The gospel is preached by word of mouth.
Pentecostals, here and abroad, do their best to preach the gospel with signs and wonders.
In these meetings, people don’t become believers by reading gospel tracts or NTs.
They respond to the spoken word and the confirming signs, as in NT times.
The new believers join churches where they receive more word-of-mouth training,
and also written materials which help them grow.

Today, when evangelists preach the gospel …
how does them having the completed canon of Scripture change anything?
The preaching and the saving is all done verbally.

Why should evangelists no longer desire the benefit of confirming signs and wonders?
Why would the Lord want to change His tried-and-true method of evangelizing?

Hi Evangelist,

In the NT period, how was evangelizing done ?
and
Today, how is evangelizing done ?
My answer to both of these questions is borrowed from your OP:
"the gospel message was confirmed to us by those who heard Him (Jesus),
and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will” (Hebrews 1:3-4)"

How does them having the completed canon of Scripture change anything ?
I do not think it does changes anything, other than make all of us who hear or read it more accountable to what it reveals and testifies to.

Why should evangelists no longer desire the benefit of confirming signs and wonders ?
Why would the Lord want to change His tried-and-true method of evangelizing ?
It could say something is missing, but for me I know God does what He wants and uses what He wants to do what He wants. If we go looking for signs, wonders or miracles then we just might be putting God in a box, and that is idolatry, creating our own God to suit our needs, our (need for signs and wonders), having itchy ears.

I am assuming by your post and questions that you see no signs, wonders or miracles at all anymore ?

Your last two questions might be limiting or even ignoring the Holy Spirit's knowledge and ability to speak to individuals or groups in a way that He knows will be most effective to get the desired response or responses that God is desiring from an individual or group.
Again, I am assuming by your post and questions that you see no signs, wonders or miracles at all anymore ?

God bless.
John 4:1 Worship in Spirit.

markedward
Oct 19th 2012, 08:50 PM
In spirit, truth, and love.

Evangelist
Oct 19th 2012, 09:21 PM
I am assuming by your post and questions that you see no signs, wonders or miracles at all anymore ?

No, my purpose is to ...
enlighten those who teach cessationism and those who have been taught to be cessationists.

ContractKeeper
Oct 19th 2012, 09:32 PM
No, my purpose is to ...
enlighten those who teach cessationism and those who have been taught to be cessationists.
Good luck with that.
Becoming a living example yourself, would quicken that purpose of yours.

John 4:1 Worship in Spirit.

RockSolid
Oct 19th 2012, 10:59 PM
Signs and wonders were to prove that there was a "new sherrif in town", so to speak, a new covenant between God and man through Jesus Christ. That the old covenant was becoming obsolete and all who stayed in it would die. The miracles were needed as long as the old covenant and temple were around to keep proving to them that change was coming and has come. After the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in 70ad, effectively ending the old covenant, they were no longer needed. Everyone then knew who the true King was because He told them that all those things would happen, that the temple would be destroyed.. the ultimate sign. Today, that evidence is there for all the world to see if they so choose. No more confirmation is needed.

I do believe at times that God does perform miracles and healings of His own accord, according to His mercy. But nothing on the scale of what happened in the first century is happening now. That was a special and specific time, the last days of the old covenant.. the old heaven and earth; the times when the Spirit was poured out on all believers.

Peter said those times and what was happening then was what Joel prophesied about.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 2:12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?”
Acts 2:14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words.
Acts 2:15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.
Acts 2:16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:
Acts 2:17 ​​​​​​​​“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams;
Acts 2:18 ​​​​​​​​even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.
Acts 2:19 ​​​​​​​​And I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
Acts 2:20 ​​​​​​​​the sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day.
Acts 2:21 ​​​​​​​​And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

Peter specifically says "this is that". The things that are happening now are what Joel prophesied about would happen in these "last days". We are not in the last days, they were. The last days of the old age, the old covenant.

watchinginawe
Oct 20th 2012, 01:14 PM

… how does them having the completed canon of Scripture change anything?

... my purpose is to ...

Welcome to new Christian deism. It might as well have been golden plates.

Raybob
Oct 20th 2012, 04:29 PM

and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will” (Hebrews 1:3-4)...

You have an odd translation. The true wording is:

Heb 1:3-4 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; (4) Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Evangelist
Oct 20th 2012, 05:44 PM
Signs and wonders were to prove that there was a "new sherrif in town", so to speak, a new covenant between God and man through Jesus Christ. That the old covenant was becoming obsolete and all who stayed in it would die. The miracles were needed as long as the old covenant and temple were around to keep proving to them that change was coming and has come. After the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in 70ad, effectively ending the old covenant, they were no longer needed. Everyone then knew who the true King was because He told them that all those things would happen, that the temple would be destroyed.. the ultimate sign. Today, that evidence is there for all the world to see if they so choose. No more confirmation is needed.

Peter specifically says "this is that". The things that are happening now are what Joel prophesied about would happen in these "last days". We are not in the last days, they were. The last days of the old age, the old covenant.

Re: your first paragraph ... where in the world (er... Bible) did this come from?

Re: Peter ... So he was talkin' 'bout da last days of da old covenant? Really?

Evangelist
Oct 20th 2012, 05:45 PM
My odd translation is the NJKV.

RockSolid
Oct 25th 2012, 01:36 AM
Re: your first paragraph ... where in the world (er... Bible) did this come from?

Jer 31:31 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
Jer 31:32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord.
Jer 31:33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Mark 16:19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.
Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by accompanying signs.

Heb 8:13 In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Matt 24:1 Jesus left the temple and was going away, when his disciples came to point out to him the buildings of the temple.
Matt 24:2 But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”

Re: Peter ... So he was talkin' 'bout da last days of da old covenant? Really?

Peter says they were in the "last days" in Acts when he referenced Joel. So yes, unless you believe the last days can last for two millennia plus, which some people have no problem believing.

Heb 1:1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

That's why the physical temple has never been rebuilt since 70ad and never will be. The old covenant is done away with and is not coming back. God will not allow it.
God's Temple now was built with living stones from all the nations and Christ was the cornerstone. It's a spiritual Temple that cannot be destroyed or corrupted.