PDA

View Full Version : "What Worries You Worries God"

Youssarian
Oct 21st 2012, 02:05 PM
I've seen and heard this statement rehashed multiple times in different wording, but it comes down to the same meaning. Apparently, if we are troubled/bothered/worried/concerned about something, then God feels the same way as us. I've asked for Biblical support for this statement and I'm not sure I've ever gotten any, at least not anything convincing. Is there Biblical support for this kind of statement?

Scooby_Snacks
Oct 21st 2012, 02:33 PM
Good Morning Youssarian!

I know God cares about us, but I do not believe He has taken to worrying. I found this little bit of information facinating on the origin of the word from Wiki:

[Middle English werien, worien, to strangle, from Old English wyrgan; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.]

Word History: Worrying may shorten one's life, but not as quickly as it once did. The ancestor of our word, Old English wyrgan, meant "to strangle."
Its Middle English descendant, worien, kept this sense and developed the new sense "to grasp by the throat with the teeth and lacerate" or "to kill or injure by biting and shaking."
This is the way wolves or dogs might attack sheep, for example. In the 16th century worry began to be used in the sense "to harass, as by rough treatment or attack," or "to assault verbally," and in the 17th century the word took on the sense "to bother, distress, or persecute."
It was a small step from this sense to the main modern senses "to cause to feel anxious or distressed" and "to feel troubled or uneasy," first recorded in the 19th century.

Always good for me to remember to cast all of my cares upon Him and trust Him. Worry is easier sometimes...but harmful!
God has compassion on us, so He does feel for us. I believe He waits patiently for us to come to Him to take the burden of fear so He can debunk it. His Word does that too.

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
(1 John 4:18)

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
(1 Peter 5:6-7 ESV)

timf
Oct 21st 2012, 02:33 PM
"What Worries You Worries God" - Is there Biblical support for this kind of statement?

There seems to be more Biblical support for the opposite view.

Philippians 4:6 Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Since God is love, He would not be fearful, apprehensive, or anxious. It is natural for us to anthropomorphize God and see Him as having the same reactions that we do. However, this projection distorts the true character of God.

I think it would be fair to say that God is sad when we experience pain. He would be particularly sad when we bring it on ourselves. He would also be sad when we fail to ask Him for wisdom or turn from him to pursue our own interests.

I think if we present God as a sort of super therapist who feels bad when we feel bad, we paint him as a sort of cheerleader. Bill Clinton was famous for saying "I feel your pain". Even if it were true, what good is it?

God is truth and we need to come to him in truth. Consider the tax collector and the Pharisee. One man came to him humble and in truth. The Bible says that God gives more grace to the humble. This is not a reward for achievement, but the ability to give more grace to those who are in alignment with truth.

Youssarian
Oct 21st 2012, 11:36 PM
OK, maybe I worded it wrongly. What I mean is, how valid is the phrase "What matters to you matters to God"? I think the meaning behind the general phrase is that whatever we consider important or notable in our life, so does God. For instance, if we're concerned about a friend being ill, then God shares that feeling. If we are happy about a promotion at work, then God also cheers with us. Is that Biblically sound? The best I can come up with is the verse in Romans that says that whatever days we consider holy, God does too. But that seems like a stretch.

little watchman
Oct 22nd 2012, 03:49 PM
"What matters to you matters to God." I think this is generally true for those who walk in the Spirit, as their perspective and desires conform to God's perspective and desires. But I don't have any verse handy to "prove" it. What is helpful to me are the many Scripture passages that show that God responds to us in relationship and therefore has many of the same attitudes as we do: wrath (against those who are determined to work against Him), mercy (for those who are sorry for what they've done), unrequited love (for disobedient Israel), jealousy (for His people against false gods), sorrow (when Israel did not recognize the hour of their visitation), joy (because Jesus has victory over sin), a desire to prove Himself just (with Job and other righteous people who endure suffering), and a desire to strengthen and encourage us (sending Moses and Elijah to comfort Jesus; the letters to the churches in Revelation 2 & 3).

In Reformation thought and among Calvinists especially there is a tendency towards nominalism and voluntarism. By nominalism I mean that attitudes such as wrath, mercy, and goodness have no reality (ontological status) of their own, so they take on meaning only as God defines them. The opposite is realism, where "good" (for example) means something apart from God, so if God were to say, "Killing innocent babies is always good," we would be able to say that God was lying. Nominalism is often connected with voluntarism, which says that God can do anything He pleases without being limited by an eternal structured nature. In their zeal to affirm God's majesty and sovereignty many leaders of the Reformation said that what God does is good because He says so, not because it really is good. Incidentally, C.S. Lewis hated nominalism and attributed most theological and philosophical problems to this hidden assumption.

I mention the issue of nominalism because I have been to many churches where I would suggest that God is merciful, jealous, loving, wrathful, etc. and they would say that God isn't really like that, since our concepts of mercy, love, justice, etc. are so limited and beneath the mind of God. It offends them to think that God is really like us (or rather, we are like Him, created in His image) because it makes God seem small and petty. But for me, I would not worship God unless I can recognize that He really is good, not just that He says He is.

Lily
Oct 22nd 2012, 06:22 PM
I think it is probably very similar to how parents feel in regards to what matters to their children.

A parent is happy for their young son who is very excited about the baseball game he just played and won. We may not have the same desires before the game is played. It may not (or may, depending on the parent) be as important to win the game as it is to the child, but it is at least important to us that they enjoy being alive and being able to run and bat a ball. In the grand scheme of things winning a baseball game isn't all that important. But I do think God is happy and glorified whenever we appreciate being alive and enjoy the world and abilities He has given us, whether we win or lose the game.

Is God as happy as we are about getting a promotion? Probably not for the same reasons we are, but I'm sure He's happy that we're appreciating and using the abilities he has given us to be productive members of our community and that we're thankful for those types of blessings in life when they come. What if we don't get the promotion? If I'm going to be honest I think there are many things that trouble us that God would rather us not worry so much about, but would want us to rest, instead, acknowledging His love, goodness, and faithfulness. I think He would want us to ponder why we didn't get the promotion and take it to Him in prayer. Perhaps there is another job He has in mind for me that I wouldnt have looked for if I had received the promotion, or maybe He'd like me to take better account of my finances and see that I'm actually wasting too much of my income and He'd like me to start being a better giver. Maybe the person who got the promotion needed it more than I did, or maybe we there is some lack in my work ethics, which do nothing to glorify Him, that I need to acknowledge.

Whatever the circumstance, God wants us to bring all things to Him in prayer, whether for want/need of something ("you have not because you ask not" and other verses) or in thankfulness ("in all things, give thanks"). I don't think that would be necessary if the things that mattered to us didn't matter to Him.

Scooby_Snacks
Oct 22nd 2012, 11:20 PM
I found a scripture that reads different in several translations, but it comes down to God knowing what we come across in life and using it to His benefit and out own, because we belong to Him and are created for His Glory

Psalm 138:8

NIV

The Lord will vindicate me;
your love, Lord, endures forever—
do not abandon the works of your hands.

ESV

The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
Do not forsake the work of your hands.

NKJV

The Lord will perfect that which concerns me;
Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.

NLT

The Lord will work out his plans for my life—
for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.
Don’t abandon me, for you made me.

The Message v:7-8

When I walk into the thick of trouble,
keep me alive in the angry turmoil.
With one hand
strike my foes,
With your other hand
save me.
Finish what you started in me, God.
Your love is eternal—don’t quit on me now.

O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.
(Psalm 139:1-6 ESV)

Not sure if it reflects the thought or not...

ewq1938
Oct 23rd 2012, 03:39 AM
For instance, if we're concerned about a friend being ill, then God shares that feeling. If we are happy about a promotion at work, then God also cheers with us.

Rev 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Christ knows what these fear because he faced the same things, even worse...so he knows.

timf
Oct 23rd 2012, 04:49 PM
if we're concerned about a friend being ill, then God shares that feeling. If we are happy about a promotion at work, then God also cheers with us. Is that Biblically sound?

The problem still remains that we ware putting ourselves first and looking to see if God follows.

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

The emotions of God are not reactive to events as they unfold in time. God created time.

God may or may not be happy for us if we accept a promotion at work. Such a promotion may take us more away from our family and our desire for prestige and comfort may cause to walk further and further from Him. Where would be the cause for celebration in this?

We all too often measure our lives in terms of money, comfort, ease, and health. God measures us in terms of faithfulness, humility, and truth.

We all too often focus on Romans 8:28 without consideration for Romans 8:29

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

You could think of God as a blacksmith. He holds us in his tongs and sees that we are not much like the image of Jesus. He plunges us into the fire and when we are finally a little more malleable, He hammers us into shape. He might examine us and see that we are just a little more like Jesus only to plunge us back into the fire and work on us some more.

When Jesus weeps it is not necessarily because we feel pain. He may weep when we turn to the world or the flesh to block our pain. He may weep when we fail to hear His knock at the "door" of our heart and fail to live the life He would have for us.