PDA

View Full Version : Jesus trial before Pilate and Herod

chad
Nov 13th 2012, 03:35 AM
*This was my bible study today. I thought I would share it. It is on Jesus trial before Pilate and Herod.

Jesus before Pilate and Herod
The four gospels each give a different perspective. When read and joined together we get a better understanding and picture of Jesus trial before Pilate and Herod.

Jesus before the chief Priests and elders

(Mark 15:1 NIV) Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, reached a decision. They bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to Pilate.

Jesus before Pilate

(John 18:28 NIV) Then the Jews led Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness the Jews did not enter the palace; they wanted to be able to eat the Passover.

(John 18:29 NIV) So Pilate came out to them and asked, "What charges are you bringing against this man?"

(Luke 23:2 NIV) And they began to accuse him, saying, "We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Christ, a king."

(John 18:33 NIV) Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

(John 18:34 NIV) "Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

(John 18:35 NIV) "Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

(John 18:36 NIV) Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

(John 18:37 NIV) "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

(John 18:38 NIV) "What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him.

(Luke 23:4 NIV) Then Pilate announced to the chief priests and the crowd, "I find no basis for a charge against this man."

(Luke 23:5 NIV) But they insisted, "He stirs up the people all over Judea by his teaching. He started in Galilee and has come all the way here."

(Luke 23:6 NIV) On hearing this, Pilate asked if the man was a Galilean.

(Luke 23:7 NIV) When he learned that Jesus was under Herod's jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem at that time.

Jesus before Herod

(Luke 23:8 NIV) When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle.

(Luke 23:9 NIV) He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer.

(Luke 23:10 NIV) The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him.

(Luke 23:11 NIV) Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate.

(Luke 23:12 NIV) That day Herod and Pilate became friends--before this they had been enemies.

Back before Pilate Again

(Luke 23:13 NIV) Pilate called together the chief priests, the rulers and the people,

(Luke 23:14 NIV) and said to them, "You brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him.

(Luke 23:15 NIV) Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death.

(John 18:39 NIV) But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release 'the king of the Jews'?"

(John 18:40 NIV) They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" Now Barabbas had taken part in a rebellion.

(Luke 23:19 NIV) (Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.)

(Mat 27:19 NIV) While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."

(John 18:40 NIV) They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" Now Barabbas had taken part in a rebellion.

(Luke 23:20 NIV) Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again.

(Luke 23:21 NIV) But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"

(Mark 15:11 NIV) But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have Pilate release Barabbas instead.

(Luke 23:22 NIV) For the third time he spoke to them: "Why? What crime has this man committed? I have found in him no grounds for the death penalty. Therefore I will have him punished and then release him."

(Mat 27:24 NIV) When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

(Mat 27:25 NIV) All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

(Mat 27:26 NIV) Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.

Jesus flogging

The Apostle Mathews Gospel

(Mat 27:27 NIV) Then the governor's soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him.

(Mat 27:28 NIV) They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him,

(Mat 27:29 NIV) and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. "Hail, king of the Jews!" they said.

(Mat 27:30 NIV) They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again.

(Mat 27:31 NIV) After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.

John-Marks Gospel

(Mark 15:16 NIV) The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers.

(Mark 15:17 NIV) They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him.

(Mark 15:18 NIV) And they began to call out to him, "Hail, king of the Jews!"

(Mark 15:19 NIV) Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him.

(Mark 15:20 NIV) And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.

The Apostle Johns Gospel
(John 19:1 NIV) Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged.

(John 19:2 NIV) The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed
him in a purple robe

(John 19:3 NIV) and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they struck him in the face.

Pilate after Jesus flogging and before his crucifixion.

Johns Gospel is the only Gospel which records what happened after Jesus flogging and before his resurrection.

(John 19:4 NIV) Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews, "Look, I am bringing him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against him."

(John 19:5 NIV) When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, "Here is the man!"

(John 19:6 NIV) As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, "Crucify! Crucify!" But Pilate answered, "You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against him."

(John 19:7 NIV) The Jews insisted, "We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God."

(John 19:8 NIV) When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid,

(John 19:9 NIV) and he went back inside the palace. "Where do you come from?" he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.

(John 19:10 NIV) "Do you refuse to speak to me?" Pilate said. "Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?"

(John 19:11 NIV) Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."

(John 19:12 NIV) From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."

(John 19:13 NIV) When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge's seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha).

(John 19:14 NIV) It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. "Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews.

(John 19:15 NIV) But they shouted, "Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!" "Shall I crucify your king?" Pilate asked. "We have no king but Caesar," the chief priests answered.

(John 19:16 NIV) Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified. So the soldiers took charge of Jesus.

Diggindeeper
Nov 13th 2012, 04:58 AM
I am going to approve this Bible Study, Chad. I think its a wonderful study.

It goes along with something I wrote that's in the Articles Forum here. I like your study because you show us where this is told in the scriptures.
Thank you for writing this.
Judy

Here is the link to my Article:
http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/206920-Article-We-Interrupt-This-Broadcast