PDA

View Full Version : Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5

Walley10
Nov 22nd 2012, 01:04 AM
Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Act 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

I read in Acts chapter 5 the story of Ananias and Sapphira. The bible says they lied to the Holy Spirit and kept part of his money and land right? Could that be interpreted as sometimes people don't forsake all their sins to enter heaven?

What exactly where Ananias killed for? Was it his lying to God, or him not wanting to give away all his money? And was he even saved?

-SEEKING-
Nov 22nd 2012, 01:07 AM
I believe it's the lying.

7 After an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter said to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much.” And she said, “Yes, for so much.” 9 But Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord?

Walley10
Nov 22nd 2012, 01:19 AM
I believe it's the lying.

7 After an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter said to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much.” And she said, “Yes, for so much.” 9 But Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord?

Okay. One other thing, what exactly was he lying about? Wasn't he just trying to outwardly appear to be a disciple or something?

-SEEKING-
Nov 22nd 2012, 01:20 AM
Okay. One other thing, what exactly was he lying about? Wasn't he just trying to outwardly appear to be a disciple or something?

I think so. I take it that hypocrisy was not well accepted. But that's just my guess.

Slug1
Nov 22nd 2012, 04:50 AM
Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Act 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

I read in Acts chapter 5 the story of Ananias and Sapphira. The bible says they lied to the Holy Spirit and kept part of his money and land right? Could that be interpreted as sometimes people don't forsake all their sins to enter heaven?

What exactly where Ananias killed for? Was it his lying to God, or him not wanting to give away all his money? And was he even saved?Way back in the day, there was a time when Joshua was told by God that ALL in the city of Jericho was to be left for God (Joshua 7). However, one man "took" for his own from this and this was done as an act of dishonesty. The sentence was DEATH, not only for himself but all his family.

Jump to Ananias and his wife... God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So we are to LEARN from what had happened to Ananias and his wife who were "AS" dishonest as Achan was.

Walley10
Nov 22nd 2012, 09:04 AM
Way back in the day, there was a time when Joshua was told by God that ALL in the city of Jericho was to be left for God (Joshua 7). However, one man "took" for his own from this and this was done as an act of dishonesty. The sentence was DEATH, not only for himself but all his family.

Jump to Ananias and his wife... God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So we are to LEARN from what had happened to Ananias and his wife who were "AS" dishonest as Achan was.

Right, so they had sought out to deceive God by making it look like they were giving everything away.

Walls
Nov 22nd 2012, 09:56 AM
It is an interesting observation that whenever God started a move in the history of men, this move was accompanied by signs and wonders. This was true of Israel in Egypt and Sinai, and with Israel's entering and conquering of the Good Land. When our Lord Jesus came it was accompanied by signs and wonders. When the Church began it was accompanied by signs and wonders. This is well documented in Acts Chapter 5, the one now under discussion.

Equally true of these new moves was discipline. It seems that when God starts a new move, besides the confirming signs and wonders, there is also a sign that a righteous God is in the matter and that He is to be taken seriously. God was very strict with Israel in the wilderness and thousands were killed for rebellion and lack of faith. So too when Israel entered Canaan, as one has commented above concerning Jericho. When the church began, it was the same. God laid down some examples of discipline to show that He meant business with the Church as His little corner of this fallen world.

Ananias and Sapphira were the first. Then we have the incestuous brother in the Church at Corinth (1st Corinthians 5) who is handed over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh. Then we have saints who took the Lord's Table in vain in 1st Corinthians Chapter 11. Then again Hymenaeus and Alexander the Coppersmith who are also handed over to Satan for the destruction of their flesh in 1st Timothy 1:20.

Ananias and Sapphira present sobering truths.

Your property is your own to dispose of how you like
If you want to donate to the Lord's work, you are free to decide how much
Don't seek to impress the Church. Do things secretly (Matt.6:3)
Do not ever lie to the Church, for your lie is taken by God to be directed at the Holy Spirit
Psalm 93:5 tells us that God's House is to be holy. The Church is now God's House. Woe unto the brother or sister who brings this House into disrepute. This threat is still valid; "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1st Cor.3:16-17).

These sobering displays of God's judgement are there for us to learn and to "fear" (recorded twice in Acts Chapter 5 in regard to this incident). God is not mocked. If He said He will avenge Himself in the Church, you better be sure that He will.

Instrument
Nov 23rd 2012, 02:02 AM

What exactly where Ananias killed for? Was it his lying to God, or him not wanting to give away all his money? And was he even saved?
Their sin was the blasphemy aganist the Holy Spirit.

Blessings.

Slug1
Nov 23rd 2012, 02:14 AM
Their sin was the blasphemy aganist the Holy Spirit.

Blessings.How so ?

Scripturally, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to call any manifestation of God's power, that of the devil.

So how is lying to God, considered blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

tango
Nov 23rd 2012, 10:19 AM

He was lying about handing over the full value.

Act 5:1-4 NKJV But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. (2) And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet. (3) But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? (4) While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

In v4 Peter makes it clear that the land belonged to him (Ananias), that he had full control over the land, that once it was sold the money was his to do with as he chose.

The problem was that Ananias wanted the outward appearance of doing what everybody else did and handing over the full proceeds while actually keeping some back for himself. Almost as if he was saying "Hey, I'm putting $100 in the bag just like everyone else" and then only putting in $90. Had he told Peter that he sold the land for 100 shekels but needed 10 to cover some expenses so was giving 90 to the apostles I'd bet everything would have been fine - Peter made it very clear that donating anything at all was entirely voluntary.

As I see it, this is confirmed by the exchange with Sapphira when Peter asked her whether that was the full price they got for the land and she replied that it was. She had a clear opportunity to say that they had kept some back for themselves but also lied about it.

Old man
Nov 23rd 2012, 05:32 PM
Right, so they had sought out to deceive God by making it look like they were giving everything away.

I don't think it was a deliberate plot to decieve God. I think they didn't even calculate Him into their plans He wasn't important enough. They considered lying to Peter and keeping some of the money for themselves as more important. They considered the risks as worth it if they got away with it. Obviously they thought they would otherwise they probably would have waited for another opportunity. :hmm:

Vhayes
Nov 23rd 2012, 07:14 PM
It was the poster child of hypocrisy.