PDA

View Full Version : It is finished.

jeffweeder
Jan 9th 2013, 11:24 PM
Hi all
What did Jesus mean when he said...it is finished?
What did he come to accomplish?

MailmanGuy
Jan 10th 2013, 02:11 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCsrKPjlcyM

Get a cup of coffee and watch this sermon. Pastor Jim Mcclarty answers this question from the Scriptures. Enjoy!

guero
Jan 10th 2013, 02:50 AM
We note that the Evangelist uses the same word earlier in John 19:28 as the Lord speaks in John 19:30 - τετέλεσται. The NIV translates verse 28, knowing that everything had now been finished, but the King James Version uses the word accomplished, signifying fulfillment of His plan.

What did He accomplish? John Chrysostom (4th c.) reminds us of what the Lord said earlier: I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again (John 10:17-18).

When τετέλεσται is translated as finished, there is a sense of dread finality. In fact, the Lord's death was not final, as we know He was resurrected, thus accomplishing His plan for us.

The only English translations that I know of that avoid the word finished in verse 30 is the new (unofficial) Eastern Orthodox Bible (http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/index.asp), although the footnotes in the Orthodox Study Bible (which uses the NKJV) also point out the alternate translation.

jeffweeder
Jan 16th 2013, 06:46 AM
We note that the Evangelist uses the same word earlier in John 19:28 as the Lord speaks in John 19:30 - τετέλεσται. The NIV translates verse 28, knowing that everything had now been finished, but the King James Version uses the word accomplished, signifying fulfillment of His plan.

What did He accomplish? John Chrysostom (4th c.) reminds us of what the Lord said earlier: I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again (John 10:17-18).

When τετέλεσται is translated as finished, there is a sense of dread finality. In fact, the Lord's death was not final, as we know He was resurrected, thus accomplishing His plan for us.

Very nice.
Yes, Jesus finished the work that God gave him to do.

Jn 17
3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. 4 I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

So Jesus accomplished obtaining eternal life for mankind.We too will be glorified with the glory that Adam and eve originally had...bodily. The veil was rent, and the way made open to Eden.

Jesus was hanging on the cross suffering when he said these words...(It is finished ).. Does he whisper these words?
Apparantley he shouted these words out with his last breath.

Jn 19
A jar full of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up to His mouth. 30 Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.

Mk 15
Someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink, saying, “Let us see whether Elijah will come to take Him down.” 37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. 38 And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

Lk 23
It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour, 45 because the sun was obscured; and the veil of the temple was torn in two. 46 And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Having said this, He breathed His last.

:dunno:

Walls
Jan 16th 2013, 07:46 AM
If we are to list His accomplishments individually, we are looking at a long posting. For instance our Lord Jesus was the fulfillment of the Offerings. The Father required, for His satisfaction, a Burnt Offering, a Meal Offering, a Peace Offering, a Heave Offering etc. etc. Our Lord fulfilled these. He also fulfilled the Tabernacle and the Temple, and all the furniture in it. He is the Lampstand, the Showbread table etc. etc. Each has its place in God's economy and each its place in satisfying the Father. The list is huge and the meaning behind them would take books.

But if we where to summarize, we could say that
Jesus was incarnated and born a Man - to satisfy the original purposes of God with man in Genesis 1:26-28
Jesus lived a life perfect in obedience to the Father, achieving a righteousness that could later be imparted subjectively to all men who believed
Jesus lived a perfect life under Law to fulfill the Law - so the Father could impart legal righteousness to those under Law
Jesus died as a substitute for all men who were found under the sentence of death for their sins
Jesus died as a propitiation for all men who had angered and insulted God and lay open to His righteous wrath
Jesus rose again from the dead, thus becoming initiator and dispenser of resurrection life for men (1st Cor.15:45)
Jesus ascended on resurrection day to present Himself to the Father as the First of the Firstfruits and New High Priest for all men
Jesus ascended into heaven 40 days later as the forerunner of Rapture and forerunner of those that will sit in a heavenly throne
Jesus defeated and subdued the Great Adversary and now has all authority in heaven and earth

I know that the last 4 occurred after He said "it is accomplished" but they were inherent in Him at the time of death, just as a seed has inherently all that is needed to produce a crop of the same seed (Jn.12:24). When a seed falls into the earth and dies, nothing must be added to that seed except nourishment to produce a vast crop of the same seed.

jeffweeder
Jan 16th 2013, 08:31 AM
If we are to list His accomplishments individually, we are looking at a long posting. For instance our Lord Jesus was the fulfillment of the Offerings. The Father required, for His satisfaction, a Burnt Offering, a Meal Offering, a Peace Offering, a Heave Offering etc. etc. Our Lord fulfilled these. He also fulfilled the Tabernacle and the Temple, and all the furniture in it. He is the Lampstand, the Showbread table etc. etc. Each has its place in God's economy and each its place in satisfying the Father. The list is huge and the meaning behind them would take books.

But if we where to summarize, we could say that
Jesus was incarnated and born a Man - to satisfy the original purposes of God with man in Genesis 1:26-28
Jesus lived a life perfect in obedience to the Father, achieving a righteousness that could later be imparted subjectively to all men who believed
Jesus lived a perfect life under Law to fulfill the Law - so the Father could impart legal righteousness to those under Law
Jesus died as a substitute for all men who were found under the sentence of death for their sins
Jesus died as a propitiation for all men who had angered and insulted God and lay open to His righteous wrath
Jesus rose again from the dead, thus becoming initiator and dispenser of resurrection life for men (1st Cor.15:45)
Jesus ascended on resurrection day to present Himself to the Father as the First of the Firstfruits and New High Priest for all men
Jesus ascended into heaven 40 days later as the forerunner of Rapture and forerunner of those that will sit in a heavenly throne
Jesus defeated and subdued the Great Adversary and now has all authority in heaven and earth

I know that the last 4 occurred after He said "it is accomplished" but they were inherent in Him at the time of death, just as a seed has inherently all that is needed to produce a crop of the same seed (Jn.12:24). When a seed falls into the earth and dies, nothing must be added to that seed except nourishment to produce a vast crop of the same seed.

Amen Walls.

Through his accomplishments , it is written that we are already seated in the heavenly realms...as we grow amongst the tares.
We are now considered by God as atoned for, totally righteous in Christ through his annointing of the most Holy place.
Harvest time approaches, and what kind of person do you ought to be?

Walls
Jan 16th 2013, 11:42 AM
Amen Walls.

Through his accomplishments , it is written that we are already seated in the heavenly realms...as we grow amongst the tares.
We are now considered by God as atoned for, totally righteous in Christ through his annointing of the most Holy place.
Harvest time approaches, and what kind of person do you ought to be?

Amen to that as well - and what kind of fruit will be bear after so great a work by our Savior?

Marc B
Jan 19th 2013, 02:45 AM
" it is written that we are already seated in the heavenly realms.."

Where does it say that? If we are already there then why are we still here in the flesh?

Vhayes
Jan 19th 2013, 02:51 AM

Where does it say that? If we are already there then why are we still here in the flesh?

It says it here:

Ephesians 2
5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Our seating in the heavenly places is as assured as our salvation. It depends on the finished work of Christ and on nothing we have done or will do except trust in the Finished Work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Walls
Jan 19th 2013, 06:40 AM

Ephesians 2:6 only presents a problem because Christians are taught that after death they will go to heaven. Notice Marc B's grammar. "... while we are still here in the flesh" implies that one day we will will be in heaven but not in the flesh. In this, he promotes the idea (prevalent in Christianity) that (a) we are destined for heaven, and (b) there is no resurrection.

Both these concepts are foreign to scripture. Man's is made from the earth and for the earth (Gen.1:26-28, 2:7). And the bible ends with all men, in various conditions according to their calling and faith (or lack of it) on the renewed (Gk) earth, and in their resurrected bodies.

But if we can put away this idea of going to heaven, then Ephesians 2:6 is in harmony with all the rest of scripture. The rest of scripture reveals the following;

The initial ruler of this earth was Lucifer - an angel and thus a heavenly creature
The earth is actually made for Jesus Christ, Second person of the Godhead (Col.1:16) Who is a heavenly Being (Jn.16:28; 1st Cor.15:47)
The rebirth is from above (literal Greek of John Chapter 3)
The rebirth makes a man heavenly (Heb.3:1)
The reborn man's name is written in heaven (Lk.10:20)
The reborn man must seek heavenly things (Col.3:1-2)
The reborn man's reward is stored in heaven (Matt.5:12; Lk.6:23)
The reborn man's resurrection body is from heaven (2nd Cor.5:2)
The reborn man will receive his reward when our Lord Jesus descends from heaven (Rev.22:12)
And unlike the Israelite whose blessings are earthly, the reborn man's blessings are heavenly (Eph.1:3)

So if we examine Ephesians 2:6 the first thing that we must do is discard the word "places". It does not appear in the original (most translations insert it in italics). Then it reads; "and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly in Christ Jesus." In light of the facts of scripture in the above list, the sense and meaning is clear. As heavenly beings, born of Christ the heavenly Being, for the purpose of displaying a heavenly God and bringing the Kingdom of the Heavens to earth, we are elevated to heavenly status in Christ Jesus. When Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain visited India as part of her domain, we did not designate her "Elizabeth of the dusty streets of Mumbai." She is still "Elizabeth, Queen of Great Britain." So too the regenerate Christian. He/she might walk the dusty byways of earth, but his/her position is heavenly. And Ephesians 2:6 is written in the past tense because this heavenly position was effected by Christ the Heavenly at His resurrection, not ours.

Jeffweeder's use of the words "heavenly realms" could not have been more accurate. "Realms" indicate both the place and what it stands for.