PDA

View Full Version : Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth....

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 20th 2013, 05:12 PM
Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Is there any difference between the time of Noah and our time of today as seen through Genesis 6:5.

If so what is the difference...? If not, why not the difference of today to then?

Fenris
Feb 20th 2013, 05:52 PM
Is there any difference between the time of Noah and our time of today as seen through Genesis 6:5.

Yes, I think there are many moral people in the world today, thanks to the message of the bible.

RogerW
Feb 20th 2013, 06:00 PM
Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

If so what is the difference...? If not, why not the difference of today to then?

Greetings Rbg, if not, why another total destruction, only next time by fire? In the days of Noah God left a few to re-populate the earth. Next time there will be NONE left...what does that indicate?

blessings & peace

divaD
Feb 20th 2013, 06:14 PM
Yes, I think there are many moral people in the world today, thanks to the message of the bible.

Does that include the alleged 'fake' message in the NT as well? Or are you just meaning your Bible? Sorry to have had to ask that, but I just had to. No sarcasm on my part or anything tho. I just assume you see the message in the NT as fake, the fact you don't believe it's holy writ. Also, it's not my intention to debate the validity of the NT with you in this thread. I'm just trying to determine if you conclude there are still moral people today because of the message in the Bible in the OT only, or if this includes the NT as well. If the latter, then I guess I will never understand how you reason that an untrue message can help folks to remain moral. Technically, even if it were untrue, yet the person believed it to be true, I guess that could cause them to remain moral, if you looked at it like that. But it would still make God out to be something that He's not, and that would be a liar, especially if He had anything to do with the NT, except none of it is literally true.

Fenris
Feb 20th 2013, 06:18 PM
Does that include the alleged 'fake' message in the NT as well?
There's nothing fake about the NT's moral message. It's the same as the OT's moral message.

markedward
Feb 20th 2013, 06:18 PM
In the days of Noah God left a few to re-populate the earth. Next time there will be NONE left...what does that indicate?
Except for a 'countless multitude'...

RogerW
Feb 21st 2013, 12:17 AM
Except for a 'countless multitude'...

Not exactly! I mean yes indeed there will be a countless multitude to inhabit the NEW earth...but the question indicated this earth. And there will be none left here to re-populate this earth, as God had done in the days of Noah.

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 21st 2013, 01:42 AM

Very Interesting thoughts Fenris... So from a Jewish perspective, it took Noah about 70 years to build the ark... do the Jews think he witnessed to those around him during this time? I mean, do the Jews also believe that up until now, God did not send rain yet, so it would have given Noah the opportunity to share why he was doing what he was doing, because of what God told him?

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 21st 2013, 01:44 AM
Greetings Rbg, if not, why another total destruction, only next time by fire? In the days of Noah God left a few to re-populate the earth. Next time there will be NONE left...what does that indicate?

blessings & peace

Hi Roger,

I know that you are I are not in sync on matters of eschatology, so I would differ in total destruction, but would agree that judgment is through fire.

RockSolid
Feb 21st 2013, 03:28 AM
Next time there will be NONE left...what does that indicate?

I mean yes indeed there will be a countless multitude to inhabit the NEW earth...but the question indicated this earth. And there will be none left here to re-populate this earth, as God had done in the days of Noah.

Rev 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
Rev 22:15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

The city is part of new earth. There are still sinners living outside the city.

RogerW
Feb 21st 2013, 12:17 PM
Rev 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
Rev 22:15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

The city is part of new earth. There are still sinners living outside the city.

Rev 22:6-21 depicts time before Christ comes again, time for hearing the words of prophecy and salvation. The Revelation is not in chronological order. Those who come to Christ through hearing are they that have the right to the tree of life and enter into heaven, but those who remain in unbelief are the dogs, sorcerers and sexually immoral, murders, idolaters, and everyone who love and practices falsehood.

Re*22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Re*22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Re*22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Re*22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Re*22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Re*22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Fenris
Feb 21st 2013, 01:15 PM
Very Interesting thoughts Fenris... So from a Jewish perspective, it took Noah about 70 years to build the ark... 120 years, I think.

do the Jews think he witnessed to those around him during this time? I mean, do the Jews also believe that up until now, God did not send rain yet, so it would have given Noah the opportunity to share why he was doing what he was doing, because of what God told him?
It was to give the chance for people to repent. But it wasn't Noah's mission to bring people to repent, he was supposed to save his family so that mankind would continue. Mind you, Noah never intercedes with God for those people, which makes him essentially different from Abraham (who pleads with God over Sodom) or Moses (who pleads with God over the Jews.)

I think your use of the term "witnessed" is anachronistic.

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 21st 2013, 01:32 PM
120 years, I think.

Come to think of it, I think you are right, more like 120 years of building a big boat.

It was to give the chance for people to repent. But it wasn't Noah's mission to bring people to repent, he was supposed to save his family so that mankind would continue. Mind you, Noah never intercedes with God for those people, which makes him essentially different from Abraham (who pleads with God over Sodom) or Moses (who pleads with God over the Jews.)

I think your use of the term "witnessed" is anachronistic.

If you don't like the word witnessed, how about testify?

- Hey Noah, what are you building?

--A Boat.

- A what?

-- An ark, ya know a thing that floats

- Why?

-- God told me to

- Ye right, so that being the case, why did he tell you to build it?

-- because he is going to judge the earth and flood the whole earth because of sin

-laughter.

Fenris
Feb 21st 2013, 01:50 PM
If you don't like the word witnessed, how about testify?

How about "warning"?

But it was only to give people the opportunity. As I say, it wasn't Noah's mission to bring repentance.

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 21st 2013, 02:45 PM
How about "warning"?

But it was only to give people the opportunity. As I say, it wasn't Noah's mission to bring repentance.

I can understand this... IMO, I would like to say, from a christian perspective Noah was an early 'preacher'.

RogerW
Feb 21st 2013, 02:56 PM
Yep!

2Pe*2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Redeemed by Grace
Feb 21st 2013, 02:58 PM
Yep!

2Pe*2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

:hug: .

TEITZY
Sep 11th 2014, 02:17 PM
How about "warning"?

Well actually God..."did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; (2 Pet 2:5).

The main job of an evangelist is to preach righteousness, since "by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Rom 3:20). Obviously repentance can only come through the knowledge of the law (God's righteous requirements) so I think Noah was giving more than just a warning. Look at the all the OT prophets, before judgment came they always, without exception, called the people to repent of their sin & turn back to God. I don't think Noah was any different.

Anyway, if we read 2 Pet 2, there are certainly many parallels to what we see in the world and professing church today - false teachers, heresy, demonic activity, immorality/homosexuality, etc.

Cheers
Leigh

ross3421
Sep 12th 2014, 10:28 AM

As in Noah so shall be the coming of the son of man.........

In Noah's day the reason for their thoughts being evil is that there was a demonic indwelling prior to the flood. Note the 150 day period with Noah in the ark. Likewise prior to the second coming there will be another indwelling and a 150 day period then destruction again. In addition a remnant was protected and saved.

So yes much different than today.