PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Luke

Frances
Feb 22nd 2013, 03:54 PM
Luke 1

What did I learn of God? - He Calls those He has, or will, equip to do specific tasks. (eg. Like was a doctor who would recognize relevant physical details others may overlook). He brings joy to impossible situations and new life to barren lives. Noting is impossible for Him. His 'favoured ones' may be entrusted with great pain and worldly disdain.

What did I learn of Myself? - Pleasing God brings joy but does not give immunity from pain. My infirmity may be a means of fulfilling God's Purpose for me (Zacharias' son may not have been of widespread interest if he had not been struck dumb until he's announced his unexpected name).

What did I praise God for? - His choice of which of His servants to give each task to and His perfect Timing.

What did I pray for? - greater understanding of His Words and Ways.

What does this say in one sentence? - Gabriel said the elderly Zacharias and Elizabeth would have a son, named John, who would prepare the Way for the Lord in the spirit and power of Elijah, Zachariah questioned this so was struck dumb; 6 months later Gabriel told Mary become pregnant with God's Son, she went to spend 3 months with Elizabeth whose child leapt in her womb when Mary arrived; After Elizabeth's baby was circumcised and named John Zachariah's speech returned and he prophesied about the child.

Frances
Feb 23rd 2013, 04:16 PM
Luke 2

What did I learn of God? - He persuades worldly leaders to fulfill His Purposes (ie. fulfill the prophecy that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem). He gives those faithful to Him spiritual insight, to enable them to be in the place of His choice to proclaim His Word (eg Simeon and Anna). He demonstrated that obedience to Godly parents is necessary.

What did I learn of Myself? - Whatever God says to, or through, me will Glorify Him. I must always apply myself to greater understanding of His Word.

What did I praise God for? - His Authority and Power.

What did I pray for? - To always be in the place of His choice, at the right time to fulfill His Purposes for me. [Anna had been (unknowingly?] preparing for 84 years to speak of the Redemption Christ offers at that time).

What does this say in one sentence? - A multitude of the Heavenly Host praised God when Christ's birth was proclaimed to shepherds; Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day, recognized by Simeon and Anna as the Redeemer; when He was 12 years old He astonished the Teachers in the Temple with His understanding and explanations while He was 'about His Father's business', then continued to increase in 'wisdom and stature and favour'.

Quote:- (Ray Comfort)” Multitudes sit in churches ‘supposing’ that Jesus is with them, but they don’t know Him . . . they have never obeyed the command to repent and trust the Saviour. . . to them He is nothing more than a divine butler, who is expected to come running when they want something to be done.”

Frances
Feb 24th 2013, 04:37 PM
Luke 3

What did I learn of God? - He filled John the Baptist with His Holy Spirit and anointed him for ministry. Father, Son and Holy Spirit were all present at Jesus Christ's baptism - the start of the 'New Covenant' part of His Ministry on earth.

What did I learn of Myself? - I must, also, be filled with the Spirit of God before I can, effectively, minister in Christ's Name. My genealogy also goes back to Adam through Noah.

What did I praise God for? - The preparation He makes for His Purposes to be fulfilled.What did I pray for? - Boldness to proclaim His Truth in his Way for His Glory in the Power of His Holy Spirit.

What does this say in one sentence? - John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus Christ; as he baptised Jesus the Father spoke and His Holy Spirit alighted on Him - the chapter also gives the genealogy of Joseph (His step-father)

Quote:- (Charles Finney)”The Law must prepare the way for the Gospel. To overlook this, in instructing souls is almost certain to result in fase hope . . . and to fill the Chursh with false converts.”
Quote:- (Vance Havner) “When I pastured a country church a farmer didn’t like the sermons I preached on Hell. He said ‘preach about the meek and lowly Jesus’ I said ‘That’s where I get my information about Hell.’

Frances
Feb 25th 2013, 05:07 PM
Luke 4

What did I learn of God? - He leads into temptation. He only gives the Power of His Spirit to those who resist all temptation to glorify themselves instead of Him. His Words have His Power and Authority. Not even Jesus was accepted in His home town. He has Power and Authority over all demonic spirits and infirmity. Christ came to preach the Kingdom of God.

What did I learn of Myself? - Severe temptation after baptism is part of the normal Christian life. Resisting all temptation is necessary for being "in the Power of the Spirit" I must not expect what the Lord says through me prophetically to be accepted in my home town. God will use me as His channel to release the demon possessed, and the demonized, and to heal in His Name providing I am totally submitted to Him. I must preach 'the Kingdom of God'.

What did I praise God for? - His Power and Authority.

What did I pray for? - To always be aware if I am not truly submitted to God, and opportunities to use the Power and Authority He offers me and the courage necessary.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus resisted all temptation the Holy Spirit led Him into before He began His Galilean Ministry; He was rejected at Nazareth, then cast out evil spirits, Healed many and said He'd been sent to preach the Kingdom of God.

Quote:- (Charles Spurgeon) “If you would know God you must know His Word; if you wish to perceive His Power you must see how He works by His Word; If you wish to know His Purpose before it comes to pass, you can only discover it by His Word.”
(Ray Comfort)”the devil quotes Scripture but twists it’s meaning. We must know the truth in order to counter error, or we will be misled by those who take Scripture out of context and misinterpret it. That’s why we should not ‘live by bread alone, but by every Word of God.”

Frances
Feb 26th 2013, 05:29 PM
Luke 5

What did I learn of God? - He uses what is available. He has infinite knowledge. He knows what we are and sees what we can be with Him. He is able to Heal all infirmity and expects to be given the honour due to Him. Christ often spent time communing with the rest of the Godhead. He teaches those willing to learn from Him. He Forgives Sin. He came to earth to Call sinners to repentance. Christ expects His disciples to fast. He did not come to improve our old existence but to offer us New Life.

What did I learn of Myself? - Am I always available for God to direct, recognizing His greater knowledge in all things? Have I forsaken every 'good' thing to follow Christ? Have I asked Him to make me Clean? Have I told others of my Cleansing? Do I spend time alone in prayer to God? Do I bring others to Jesus? either alone or as part of a team, willing to overcome all difficulties? Do I ever 'reason against' Him in my heart? Am I always following Christ, or do I start with Him then wander away? Am I contentedly filled with His New Life or do I sometimes desire the old?

What did I praise God for? - His infinite Knowledge and Patience.

What did I pray for? - to follow Him much more closely.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus Called 4 disciples, Cleansed a leper, Forgave and Healed a paralytic, Called Matthew(Levi) and answered questions about fasting.

Quote:-(Charles Spurgeon)”We cannot be fishers of men if we remain among men with the same element with them. Fish will not be fishers. The Sinner will not convert the Sinner, the worldly Christian will not convert the world. If you are of the world no doubt the world will love it’s own, but you cannot Save the world . . .I believe that one reason that the curch of God has so little influence over the world is because the world has so much influence over the church.”

Frances
Feb 27th 2013, 05:28 PM
Luke 6

What did I learn of God? - He is more important than the day set aside specifically to worship Him. He does not abide by laws made by mankind. Jesus spent all night in prayer before choosing the 12 Apostles from amongst all His disciples. He has Power to cast out Evil spirits and Heal. His Kingdom is inhabited by those who know their need of Him. He Blesses with future Joy those who hunger for Him and those who are hated, reviled and excluded because they worship Him, yet He discounts those who people think highly of. He wants His people to build their lives on the solid foundation of His Word, to love their enemies knowing He will Judge them in the same way they judge others.

What did I learn of Myself? - God Heals my body, mind and spirit as he sees the need, when I obey Him. I am His disciple, one of a numberless crowd. I am greatly Blessed by God in every way. He wants me to love my enemies, do good to those who hate me, bless those who curse me and pray for those who are spiteful to me and ill-use me. He expects me to give whatever folk ask me for and to do for others as I'd like them to do for me, to love my enemies and be merciful. I must not condemn folk but forgive them knowing I will be Judged by the same standards I use. If I don't follow Christ closely I will lead others astray with me. I will be known by my actions, not by my thoughts.

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings and His Word.

What did I pray for? - to fulfill the tasks God gives me and serve Him well, giving attention to every detail (every jot and tittle) of His Word.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus said He is Lord of the Sabbath and Healed a multitude, chose 12 Apostles from among His disciples, who would love their enemies, will not Judge others, will be known by the Fruit of their lives which must be built on the Word of God and told who God Blesses and discounts.

Quote:- (Samuel Chadwick)”The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayer-less studies, prayer-less works, prayer-less religion; he laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.

Frances
Feb 28th 2013, 04:16 PM
Luke 7

What did I learn of God? - He has a 'soft spot' for those who love the Jews. He responds to true faith. He Heals all manner of diseases, Forgives Sins and brings the Dead back to Life. He goes wherever He is asked to go including to 'eat with' those skeptical of His Divinity.

What did I learn of Myself? - do I truly love the Jews? Is my faith in who Christ is and what He has achieved on my behalf, or do I just hope for 'goodies' from Him? He Heals me in body, mind and spirit in His Time, His way and for the Glory of God. When I was Dead in my Sin He offered me eternal Life. Have I allowed God's Holy Spirit to completely fill me as He filled John the Baptist and Jesus Christ? My past Sins are Forgiven, my present sin is Forgiven and my future Sin will be Forgiven as I repent trusting Him and what He has done for me.

What did I praise God for? - His Power and Authority over Sin in my life.

What did I pray for? - Thanksgiving for His offer of Salvation. 100% faith in Him 100% of the time, in all things.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus Healed the centurions servant, returned a dead man to life, told John the Baptist's disciples to report his actions to their master and Forgave a 'sinful' woman.

Frances
Mar 1st 2013, 05:06 PM
Luke 8

What did I learn of God? - He accepts what His disciples have to give. Jesus Christ went everywhere proclaiming the Kingdom of God. He spoke in parables and made clear that His earthly relationships gave no advantages. The world He Created obeys Him, eg. wind and waves. He has Power over demons, death and infirmity. He values one man above the lives of many animals.

What did I learn of Myself? - He accepts what my love for Him inspires me to give. I cannot expect all those I tell of Jesus Christ and His offer of Salvation to respond to Him, and of those who do only a few will produce Fruit for Him. God regards me, in company with everyone who hears and obeys His Word to those physically related to Him on earth. He is able to control the turbulence in my life and offers me Deliverance, Health and Life..

What did I praise God for? - Eternal Life.

What did I pray for? - that He will continue using me to sow His seeds and reap His harvest.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus proclaimed and demonstrated (by deliverance, healing and life) the Kingdom of God everywhere, told and explained the purpose of parables, said His earthly relations did not take precedence over all who hear and obey Him, and He was obeyed by wind and waves.

Quote:- (Ray Comfort)”This was an opportunity for Jesus to exalt His mother above the rest of humanity . . . but He gave her no more honour than any of the common people who heard the word of God and obeyed it.”

Frances
Mar 2nd 2013, 05:09 PM
Luke 9

What did I learn of God? - He gave the Apostles His Power and Authority over all demons, and to Heal the sick, and preach His Kingdom; to those who act in His Name. He is able to multiply whatever is given to Him for good. Jesus is the Christ, He came to earth to be rejected, killed and to rise to Life the 3rd day. He is ashamed of those who are ashamed of Him and His Word (I wonder if that includes those ashamed to believe His account of Creation in 6x24 hour days?). He confirmed that Jesus was His Son. He gave some people visions of His Kingdom before they died. He communicates with those who have died trusting Him. He came to earth to Save not destroy. He must come first in the lives of His disciples.

What did I learn of myself? - God has given me His Power and Authority over all demons and to Heal the sick. He is always available when I go to Him and He Heals me if He sees the need (not want), Christ miraculously multiplies the little I have to give Him. I, too, know and trust Him. To follow Him I must be willing to sacrifice my comfort for His Glory. If I am ashamed of Him, He will be ashamed of me. I must not regard anyone as insignificant. Being Christ's disciple requires 100% of my allegiance.

What did I praise God for? - His Majesty and availability.

What did I pray for? - The health required to serve Him in the way He desires.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus sent out his Apostles, fed 5000 families, predicted His death and resurrection, was transfigured, Healed those in need and spoke of the cost of discipleship.

Frances
Mar 3rd 2013, 04:51 PM
Luke 10

What did I learn of God? - He sends His disciples where He is going, in pairs, with no physical means of defense, to tell of the Kingdom of God and Heal the sick. People who listed to those He sends listen to Him, people who reject those He sends reject Him. He only gives those He sends His Power and Authority. He hides some things from the 'wise and prudent' and reveals them to 'babies'. Only those who Christ reveals God to know Him. He will give Eternal Life to those who love the Lord God with all their heart, all their soul, all their strength and all their mind and their neighbour as themselves.. He values times spent with Him above things done for Him

What did I learn of myself? - Christ has Called me and appointed me to Heal the sick, tell others of the Kingdom of God and pray for more workers in His 'harvest field'. My physical strength against h=those He sends me to may be no more than a lamb among wolves, but, providing He sent me, I have authority over spirits. I gain greatly by offering His Peace in every house I enter, as then I will either be met with peace or gain more of His Peace. those who accept or reject me accept or reject Christ. Do I love the Lord God with all my heart? all my soul? all my strength? and all my mind? do I love all others as much as myself? Do I spend more time being with Jesus feet or doing things for Him?
What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom, Power and Authority.

What did I pray for? - to please Him in His Way and not try to please Him my way.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus sent His disciples out in pairs, told the parable of the Good Samaritan, and told Martha it is more important to listen to Him than work for Him.

Quote:-(Samuel Bolton)”When you see men have been wounded by the Law, then it’s time to pour in the Gospel oil.”

Frances
Mar 4th 2013, 04:49 PM
Luke 11

What did I learn of God? - Jesus taught His disciples how to pray, 1- Address the One you pray to, 2- your desire for worship of Him to be widespread. 3- that His Kingdom will be manifest on earth in the same way it is in heaven. 4 - that His Will is universally done. 5 - request needs (not wants). 6 - for His Forgiveness in the same measure we give it to others. 7 - a plea for protection from temptation, and deliverance from the Evil one. 8 - persistence pays. 9 - ask for the holy Spirit's filling so there is no room for Evil spirits.
He Blesses those who obey His Word. He condemns those who prevent, or hinder, others knowing the whole Truth.

What did I learn of Myself? - I have not always prayed to God in the way that pleases Him. When He enables me to cast out demons it is a demonstration of the Finger of God and I must always ensure those delivered in this way are, first, filled with the Holy Spirit. I am not persistent enough in prayer and if I'm not 100% with Christ I'm working against Him. I must 'keep' God's Word (trust and obey it). I must ensure what others learn of God from me is what God regards as Truth and not contaminated by human thought. My life must encourage, not hinder, others becoming Christians.
Do my priorities reflect God's? Do I seek the approval of God or other people? Do I encourage and help other Christians or make life harder for them by my expectations? do I resist the Word of God or am I teachable? Do I distort the Gospel for myself and others by a legalistic attitude? do I rely on persistence in prayer or on God who is Love?

What did I praise God for? - His Teaching and His Holy Spirit.

What did I pray for? –help to be more diligent in pleasing the Lord in prayer.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus taught the basics of prayer, said division makes standing firm impossible, that a person not filled with His Light is in danger from 'darkness', and 'woe' to the Pharisees and lawyers.

Quote (John Piper)” Prayer is the open admission that, without Christ, we can do nothing. And prayer is the turning away from ourselves to God in confidence that He will provide the help we need. Prayer humbles us as needy and exalts God as all sufficient.”

Frances
Mar 5th 2013, 06:10 PM
Luke 12

What did I learn of God? - He teaches Truth. he knows what happens to everything He Created. He treats us as we treat Him. His Holy Spirit will tell His disciples what to say when accusations are held against them. He decides the length of our lives. He knows and fulfills our needs. His Kingdom belongs to Christ's disciples. Jesus' return will be unexpected. He expects more from those who know Him than from those who don't. He divides those who believe (trust and obey) Him from those who don't.

What did I learn of myself? - My actions must please God as well as my words, if they do I have no need to fear God. If I openly acknowledge Christ as my Saviour he will acknowledge that I am His servant. Do what I say secretly, and in public, reflect my love for Christ? I must never blaspheme the Holy Spirit (say He did/said what He didn't or say He didn't say/do what He did) when in difficult situations God's Spirit will guide me. I must not covet or worry about anything but 'surrender what I cannot keep to gain what I cannot lose'. I must expect Jesus to return at any moment. If I act like an unbeliever Christ will treat me like one. I must try to make peace with adversaries.

What did I praise God for? - His Judgements.

What did I pray for? - more opportunities to serve God.

What does this say in one sentence? - I must beware of hypocrisy, understand God's Power, confess Christ openly. not worry, always be faithful to Christ, make peace with adversaries, prepare for the future - in heaven not on earth.

A quote from Charles Wesley;-'In the year 1627 there was a wonderful outpouring of the spirit on people in several parts of England, Scotland and the north of Ireland. But riches and honour poured in upon them as well, and their hearts began to be estranged from God and started to cleave to this present world. As soon as persecutions ceased, the Christians who were once poor and despised became invested with power, ease and affluence. Riches and honour quickly produced the usual effects. Receiving the world they quickly loved the world. They no longer panted after heaven, and lost all the power and life of religion.'

Frances
Mar 6th 2013, 06:14 PM
Luke 13

What did I learn of God? - He insists on repentance. He removes 'unfruitful' plants from His Kingdom. He has Power over Satan and all his Evil spirits. His Kingdom started small but continues to grow, protecting those who settle in it's 'branches', it also reacts on it's surroundings like active yeast; it's entrance is narrow and no one can enter unless they know Christ, and He longs for the Jews to turn to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - If I don't repent of all that offends Him I will perish. If I don't produce 'fruit' I will be removed from God's Kingdom. I must allow God to work through me very day. I can only enter God's Kingdom the Way He stipulates.

What did I praise God for? - His Patience with me.

What did I pray for? - to enable others to enter God's Kingdom and of Him receiving Glory.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus Healed a woman 'bound by Satan', said we must all repent or perish, produce 'fruit' or be removed, enter His Kingdom by the restricted Way laid down or not at all; and He lamented over the people of Jerusalem.

Quote :- (Charles Spurgeon)” if you would be liked Jesus you must be tender and very pitiful. I beseech you, let your hearts be moved with pity,. Do not endure to see the spiritual death of mankind. Be agony as often as you contemplate the ruin of any soul of the seed of Adam.
ana][/FONT]

Frances
Mar 7th 2013, 04:57 PM
Luke 14

What did I learn of God? - Christ humbled Himself so He is exalted. He invites those 'the world' considers of no account into His Kingdom. His disciples must consider Him more important in their lives than anyone or anything, they must carry whatever cross God chooses for them, recognizing the cost but still determined to do His Will. Only those willing to give up everything to serve Him area able to be Christ's disciple.

What did I learn of myself? - I must be willing to be thought of 'no account'. I must humble myself. I must give (time, possessions etc.) to those who cannot repay me. No reason (excuse) is acceptable for not obeying God instantly. I must be willing to give up everything and everyone to follow Christ. If I don't preserve God's Truth, and if my life doesn’t offer a genuine 'flavour' of His Kingdom I am of no use to Him and risk being thrown out.

What did I praise God for? - His Word making His requirements clear.

What did I pray for? - the willingness to give up any 'worldly' comforts that come between me and God's perfect Will for me.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus Healed a man on the Sabbath, said His disciples should humble themselves and leave all to follow Him; they must invite people considered worthless into His Kingdom and allow His Life to be seen in them.

Quote:- (AW Tozer)” the convert that must pay a heavy price for his faith in Christ is the one that will persevere to the end. . . He will not turn back for he has been conditioned to endure it.

Frances
Mar 8th 2013, 05:23 PM
]Luke 15

What did I learn of God? - He rejoices over each Sinner who truly repents. Penance does not please Him but truly turning from Sin determined to do His Will does.

What did I learn of myself? - As a farmer I, also, left the flock where they were safe to search (for days) for the one lost - and rejoiced when it was found (I had feared it was by then in someone's freezer). I have vacuumed a large room then sifted the dust searching for someone's contact lens - to rejoice when it was found! Yet I have rejoiced over a truly repentant inmate of HMP who was Born again much more!

What did I praise God for? - His Persistence and parables - in the above cases for the allowing me the Joy the hoped for outcome - after I'd given up hope. . . and it doesn't matter how much I may do 'for' God or how 'moral' I may be, (like the elder brother) if I don't show God's love for those who have had no time for Him I, too, am lost.

What did I pray for? - Greater persistence n encouraging true repentance and faith in Christ's Blood and God's Forgiveness.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus told 3 parables - of the lost sheep, lost coin. and lost son, demonstrating god's Joy over a Sinner who repents.

Quote:- (Ray Comfort) “heaven doesn’t rejoice over those who make decisions. It reserves its rejoicing for those who repent.”[/FONT]

Frances
Mar 9th 2013, 04:48 PM
Luke 16

What did I learn of God? - He knows how faithful we are to Him when He sees how faithful we are to earthly 'masters'. He knows each person's heart and is not swayed by how they appear to others but by the purity of their heart. He is against divorce. Earthly wealth, or lack of it, has no bearing on whether a person spends Eternity in Heaven of Hell.

What did I learn of myself? - God will not give me spiritual wealth if I am not faithful in the way I use worldly wealth (money, time and talents) The choices I make now decides my Eternal destiny. If I am not 100% faithful to other people I am unlikely to be 100% faithful to God. He, and doing His Will must come 1st in my life, I must not regard anyone as beneath my dignity. If I ignore God and His Call on my life now I will suffer in Eternity. If I don't trust Christ in every way now, it may be too late to change my mind. If I don't trust all of the Old Testament to be God's infallible Word I won't be persuaded to totally trust Christ either.

What did I praise God for? - His Word.

What did I pray for? - to be faithful in all my ways.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus told 2 parables - of the 'Unjust Steward' and 'Rich man and Lazarus' and the necessity of believing the whole Old Testament is true.

Frances
Mar 10th 2013, 01:59 PM
Luke 17

What did I learn of God? - He requires us to forgive those who repent after sinning against us. He is not likely to thank us for obeying Him, He expects no less but He responds to gratitude. He Heals. Christ will return unexpectedly and everyone will see Him simultaneously. his Kingdom is demonstrated in a group of His disciples.

What did I learn of myself? - I must expect stumbling blocks to my faith, but will suffer greatly if I cause others to stumble and lose faith in Him. I must forgive those who sin against me. If I have true faith in God I will be able to use His Power for His Glory. God expects me to obey Him - do I always? even knowing my obedience may mean I am able to receive the Blessings He wants to give me? Do I always give Him heartfelt thanks for Blessings received? Wherever I am I am an ambassador of Christ's Kingdom. If my life is used to Glorify God he will Save it - but if I use it to glorify myself it will be Lost.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom, Power and Authority.

What did I pray for? - that my life will Glorify Him and that I will not attempt to glorify myself.

What does this say in one sentence? - Christ warned of stumbling blocks to faith, talked of faith and duty, said His disciples must confront, accept the repentant and forgive, cleansed 10 lepers and talked of His coming again.

Quote:-( Martin Luther King Jr) “forgiveness is not just an occasional attitude; it is a permanent attitude”.

Frances
Mar 11th 2013, 05:33 PM
]Luke 18[/B]

What did I learn of God? - He will definitely answer prayer - but it may not be immediately. He resists the proud but has mercy on the truly repentant. He only allows those with child-like faith in Him to enter His Kingdom, those who trust Him more than anyone or anything else. All things are possible for Him. He accomplishes all He sets out to do - in ways that will have the greatest long-term effect. He Heals physically and spiritually.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I continue in prayer for seemingly impossible situations and receive my request, or do I give up too soon? Do I demonstrate pride or my reliance on God's Mercy? Although I came to Jesus as a small child, giving all I then knew of myself to all I knew of Him, my life with Him stagnated until I realized my submission and repentance must be reaffirmed constantly as I learned more of Him and His requirements, from constant study of, and obedience to, His Word. Because nothing is impossible for God He Healed my spiritual sight so I could see, and embrace, each Gift of His Spirit . . . once I was blind but now He enables me to see the next step on the road with Him.

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy and Grace.

What did I pray for? - greater clarity of spiritual sight.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus contrasted an indifferent Judge with God, and a proud Pharisee with a repentant sinner. He welcomed children but discouraged a wealthy would-be follower. Jesus predicted His death and resurrection and illustrated it's impact by restoring physical and spiritual sight.

Quote;-(Ben Jennings)” prayerlessness is an insult to God . . . Failing to pray reflects idolatry . . . Neglecting prayer is not a weakness, it is a sinful choice.

Frances
Mar 12th 2013, 05:04 PM
Luke 19

What did I learn of God? - He knows whose heart belongs to Him. He expects His disciple's lives will bear Fruit for Him, and if they don't He will take away what He gave them. those who do not accept His Reign over them He will destroy. Christ is the King. He loves Jerusalem and it's inhabitants. His Temple is to be used for communication with Him, not primarily as a money-making enterprise.

What did I learn of myself?- Do I always receive Jesus joyfully? If I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation have I restored their good name 4fold? Have I used all the talents God gave me to the best of my ability for His Glory - or have I left them unused? do I always obey God's requests? or question them?. Is my priority communication with God? (1Cor. 6:19)

What did I praise God for? - Opportunities He gives for Service for Him.

What did I pray for? - The physical and mental strength to use the talents He gave me for His Glory.

What does this say in one sentence? - Zacchaeus was Saved, Jesus told the parable of the Minas, entered Jerusalem in triumph and wept over it and it's inhabitants and cleansed the Temple

Quote:-(John MacArthur)” Fellowship, teaching and praise are not the mission of the Church, but are the preparation of the Church to fulfil its mission of winning the Lost

Frances
Mar 12th 2013, 05:07 PM
Luke 19

What did I learn of God? - He knows whose heart belongs to Him. He expects His disciple's lives will bear Fruit for Him, and if they don't He will take away what He gave them. those who do not accept His Reign over them He will destroy. Christ is the King. He loves Jerusalem and it's inhabitants. His Temple is to be used for communication with Him, not primarily as a money-making enterprise.

What did I learn of myself?- Do I always receive Jesus joyfully? If I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation have I restored their good name 4fold? Have I used all the talents God gave me to the best of my ability for His Glory - or have I left them unused? do I always obey God's requests? or question them?. Is my priority communication with God? (1Cor. 6:19)

What did I praise God for? - Opportunities He gives for Service for Him.

What did I pray for? - The physical and mental strength to use the talents He gave me for His Glory.

What does this say in one sentence? - Zacchaeus was Saved, Jesus told the parable of the Minas, entered Jerusalem in triumph and wept over it and it's inhabitants and cleansed the Temple

Quote:-(John MacArthur)” Fellowship, teaching and praise are not the mission of the Church, but are the preparation of the Church to fulfil its mission of winning the Lost

Frances
Mar 13th 2013, 04:55 PM
Luke 20

What did I learn of God? - He is wise. He will either break and remake people who come to Him for his Glory or destroy those who turn away from Him. He can easily outwit the 'cleverest' people. He is not the God of the Dead (in Sin) but of the Living. He warns those willing to listen to Him of 'traitors' among His people.

What did I learn of myself? - I must be honest with God and myself if I want to learn more of Him. Do I always give God His due? Does He find me humble or haughty? Do I ensure I pay all legal taxes? After my resurrection I will not Die any more or be married and the God(god) I worship on earth will still be my God(god). I must beware of leaders led by their own pride instead of humbly following God.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom and not being 'taken in' by anybody (including me).

What did I pray for? - His Wisdom, especially with regard to His people.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus Christ's Authority was questioned by the chief Priests and Scribes; He told the parable of the Wicked Vinedressers, recognised Pharisee spies, told the Sadducees of the situation after the Resurrection and told the people to beware of the Scribes.

Frances
Mar 14th 2013, 03:29 PM
Luke 21

What did I learn of God? - He values gifts made to Him by how large a % it comprises of what is available to the giver. He warns His disciples of persecutions and opportunities but also Promises to give His Wisdom re. what to say when opportunities for testimony are given. He forecast the end of the 'times of the Gentiles' (which happened in 1947) and His 2nd Coming. His word will never be irrelevant, unobtainable or forgotten.

What did I learn of myself? - What % of my time, money and ability do I give to God without expecting any personal benefit? I must ensure I'm not deceived by those who, perhaps only very slightly, twist Scripture. The Lord will enable me to speak with His Wisdom when I'm confronted by adversaries because I follow Him. I must not expect to be plucked out of difficult situations but trust Him in them. I will see Christ returning in Glory (either prior to, or at the time of death) I can rely on the Truth of His Word (even the tenses of the words)

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom, preparing His disciples for persecution. His infallible Word. That He, and His Word, are trustworthy.

What did I pray for? - His Strength to withstand persecution.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus spoke of the widow's mite, destruction of the Temple, signs of the times and the end of the Age; destruction of Jerusalem, His 2nd Coming, the Parable of the Fig tree and the importance of always being faithful to Him.

Quote:-(John Bevere) there are five purposes for shaking an object. 1 to bring it closer to the foundation. 2 to remove what is dead. 3 to harvest what is right. 4 to awaken it. 5 to mix together so it can no longer be separated.”

Frances
Mar 15th 2013, 05:57 PM
Luke 22

What did I learn of God? - He knows we have short memories and need ceremonies to keep incidents and relationships 'alive'. He doesn't tell even His most favoured disciples everything He has planned until the time has come for action. Jesus instigated the ceremonial eating bread and drinking wine to remember His Sacrifice and New Covenant. He knows our thoughts and words. Christ came to be our Servant. He knows what each of us will have to face in future. He allows us to face situations that may lead us to deny Him, knowing that when we return to Him in repentance and faith it will be with whole-hearted devotion and knowing we cannot trust ourselves but only Him, and that He may turn instruction given previously 180' for a similar situation. He suffered mental and physical agony for my benefit. He is not dissuaded from what He sets out to do. Jesus Christ is God.

What did I learn of myself? - I must ensure satan has no toe-hold in my life. I must be ready to do whatever God tells me to. The reason I ‘eat bread and drink wine’ is to remember Christ's Sacrifice for me. I must serve others sacrificially as Christ has Served me. I must use my resources to ensure I am prepared for Battle. I must pray for Strength to resist temptation. When in distress I must pray more. My confidence must be in Christ, not in myself.

What did I praise God for? - His Sacrifice to enable me to be Saved. The Strength He offers me to resist all temptation to deny Him.

What did I pray for? - to recognise and reject all temptation. More opportunities to serve Him, and the strength to do it.

What does this say in one sentence? - The plot to kill Jesus, preparing and eating the Passover and Jesus' prediction of Peter's denial of Him; my responsibility for provisions, Christ's prayer, betrayal and arrest in Gethsemene and being mocked, beaten and facing the Sanhedrin and Peter's denial of Him.

Quote:-(Ray Comfort)” just as the multitudes that Judas directed to Christ fell back from the Son of God, statistics show that up to 90% of those coming to Christ under the methods of modern evangelism will fall away from the Faith . . . Our zeal without knowledge is cutting off the ears of the sinner. As far as they are concerned they have tried Christianity and it didn’t work”.

Frances
Mar 16th 2013, 05:09 PM
Luke 23

What did I learn of God? - Christ is King of the Jews. Former enemies become friends to gang up against Him. Even though it appeared contrarywise God was in charge of Christ's 'trial' and crucifixion, where He took Barabbas' place (B's name means 'son of the father') Even in the direst circumstances Christ Forgives.

What did I learn of myself? - Jesus Christ was tortured and crucified in my place, paying my penalty for my sin, so I might receive God's Forgiveness.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to me.

What did I pray for? - to always be faithful to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Jesus was taken to Pilate, accused by the multitude, was sent to Herod, took Barabbas place on the cross, and buried in Joseph of Arimathea's tomb; the notice on His cross proclaimed him King of the Jews - I'm told the first letter of each word was YWEH (if that is true it’s no wonder the Priests wanted |Pilate to change the wording.)

Quote:-(Augustine)” God does not expect us to submit our faith to Him without reason, but the very limits of our reason make faith a necessity”.

Frances
Mar 17th 2013, 05:07 PM
Luke 24

What did I learn of God? - Jesus is alive! The Truth He imparts may sometimes seem like nonsense. He often talks to His disciples when they least expect Him to. He is not kept out by walls or closed doors. He may be recognised in ordinary veryday things. The Resurrected Christ has flesh, bones and the marks of the spear and crucifixion and is able to eat - so normal intestines. allthe prophecies concerning Christ in the Pentateuch, Prophets and Psalms have been / will be fulfilled. It was necessary for Christ to suffer, die and live again and that repentance anad remission of Sins to be preached. . . and for His disciples to receive His Power - to enable them to fulfill His purposes for them.

What did I learn of myself? - I must be willing to heed Him when He speaks to me., and my 'heart burns' too. He walks beside me, even when I don't recognise Him. He knows when I need encouraging. Have I sometimes known resurrection facts - empty tomb, angels saying He's Risen, know of Old Testament prophecies fulfilled re. His deatrh and resurrection - but still acted as though Christ was dead? He expects me to believe all of His Word - even the parts that, to my human understanding seem impossible. I 'waited' and was 'endued with Power from on high' too. I, also, worship Him with Joy.

What did I praise God for? - His Power over death. His willingness to suffer in my place to setme free.

What did I pray for? - to always stress the need for repentance when telling of His Sacriifice and Forgiveness.

What does this say in one sentence? - Christ talked to disciples on the Emmaus road, appeared tothe apostles and some other disciples, ate fish and said He'd send them the 'Promise of the Father' then ascended into Heaven.

Quote:-(Melanchthon) “There Are Many Who Speak of the Forgiveness of Sin, but who say little or nothing about repentance . . . If forgiveness of sins is preached without repentance it follows that the people imagine they have already received Forgiveness of Sins, and become cocksure and fearless - which is then greater error and Sin than all the error and Sin that preceded our times”.