PDA

View Full Version : God our genie

LandShark
Mar 19th 2013, 02:43 AM
I think when push comes to shove, we can all do better in our prayer life. But I have noticed over the years that many people treat God like a genie who awaits our rubbing of His bottle so that He can do our bidding. In other words, too many spend their time dumping off a laundry list of desires without stopping to truly commune let alone get quiet long enough to hear what we "need." :hmm: Treating God in this manner truly profanes Him, in a sense it even turns Him into something that represents a pagan deity.

So I ask, when we know a brother or sister is living in this mindset, what would you say in order to correct without pushing them away?

Slug1
Mar 19th 2013, 03:20 AM
I think when push comes to shove, we can all do better in our prayer life. But I have noticed over the years that many people treat God like a genie who awaits our rubbing of His bottle so that He can do our bidding. In other words, too many spend their time dumping off a laundry list of desires without stopping to truly commune let alone get quiet long enough to hear what we "need." :hmm: Treating God in this manner truly profanes Him, in a sense it even turns Him into something that represents a pagan deity.

So I ask, when we know a brother or sister is living in this mindset, what would you say in order to correct without pushing them away?In answer to your question... disciple them and help them understand the scriptures.

I just did a Bible study about this topic and even used the genie analogy. Here is a portion of the study... (without any genie ref)

John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[a] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

1 John 5: 14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

To develop this further, a person who is ONE (abiding) with Christ is a person who is aligned with God in all that they are doing or wanting. In other words, what God wants, they want. What God wants to do, they want to do. What they ask for is because God wants them to demand of Him because He already wants to give to them, or already wants them to do.

Let’s put this in another way for more clarity. Since we abide in Jesus, since Jesus abides in us, we will NOT ask for something that He does not ALREADY want for us to have or do. This is because the Word of God is permanently in our heart. When we pray, such as in authority, it is already IN ACCORDANCE with God’s will. When you KNOW you are praying in accordance with God’s will, you don’t have to ASK… you demand. It is not a request because God has already willed something to happen, so there is no need to ask. The need now… is to DEMAND. You exercise your faith and in full expectation, you know God will move on your behalf because the reason for such a demand of God is because YOU are moving on His behalf.

So, do not feel uneasy making demands of God… it is more about being obedient to God as long as you are in one accord with God. This goes for corporate prayer as well as an entire church prays in authority and demands of God to move.

I read a scripture awhile back where Joshua "told" the sun to stop moving as He demanded this of God:

Joshua 10:12 Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel:

“Sun, stand still over Gibeon;
And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”

We read this scripture as well:

v14 And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel.

Joshua and the Lord were in ONE accord and thus... when a demand was made, the demand was granted.

LandShark
Mar 19th 2013, 12:11 PM
Joshua and the Lord were in ONE accord and thus... when a demand was made, the demand was granted.

That is the key I think, Slug. Bear with me for a sentence or two? :D The Hebrew word "shem" is translated as name. But where in English name is almost almost dealing with what we call somebody, shem is dealing more with the name bearers character and reputation, even his authority. So to "walk in God's name" means we walk within His will, in a manner that reflects His character to the world around us. To profane His name, is to bring shame to said character.

Yehoshua and Yehoshua (Joshua and Jesus) were indeed walking in the shem of the Lord. And because they were walking in His authority, knew His will, were living by faith which includes HEARING God... then they could say, "Wind stop" and it would obey because it was God's will they were reflecting, not their own.

rom826
Mar 19th 2013, 01:18 PM

So I ask, when we know a brother or sister is living in this mindset, what would you say in order to correct without pushing them away?

Personally I mind my business and let my brother's or sister's prayer life be between themselves and God. Being a busybody is never helpful to anybody. I try to spend most of my time developing my prayer life with my heavenly father rather than worrying about other's personal prayer life with their heavenly father.

LandShark
Mar 19th 2013, 01:30 PM
Personally I mind my business and let my brother's or sister's prayer life be between themselves and God. Being a busybody is never helpful to anybody. I try to spend most of my time developing my prayer life with my heavenly father rather than worrying about other's personal prayer life with their heavenly father.

I appreciate that and generally say nothing unless asked. However, there are verses that tell us to correct (as in 2 Tim 3:16) or to go to a brother in error.

keck553
Mar 19th 2013, 02:01 PM
If the redeemed truely understood the gift of salvation, most of their prayer time would be spent for the lost.

In my opinion.

RabbiKnife
Mar 19th 2013, 02:08 PM
I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please.
Not enough or explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
But just enough to equal a cup of warm milk, or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don’t want enough of Him to make me love a black man, or pick beets with a migrant worker.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth.
I want a pound of the eternal in a paper sack.
I would like to buy three pounds of God, please.
–Wilbur Reese

LandShark
Mar 19th 2013, 02:19 PM
I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please.
Not enough or explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
But just enough to equal a cup of warm milk, or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don’t want enough of Him to make me love a black man, or pick beets with a migrant worker.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth.
I want a pound of the eternal in a paper sack.
I would like to buy three pounds of God, please.
–Wilbur Reese

That's pretty good. It reveals a culture that believes the bible must conform to our lives, when we are actually supposed to conform to it!

keck553
Mar 19th 2013, 03:14 PM
Luk 10:18    And He said to them, I saw Satan fall from Heaven like lightning.
Luk 10:19    Behold, I give to you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the authority of the enemy. And nothing shall by any means hurt you.
Luk 10:20    Yet do not rejoice in this, that the evil spirits are subject to you, rather rejoice because your names are written in Heaven.

Slug1
Mar 19th 2013, 04:26 PM
If the redeemed truely understood the gift of salvation, most of their prayer time would be spent for the lost.

In my opinion.This reminds me of a portion of a paper I turned in for a "Mission of the Church" class I completed:

For whatever the reason, there is a sentence I read many years ago that is committed to memory. I did not actively memorize this sentence but it just stuck in my head and has never left. It goes, “On the plains of hesitation, lie the blackened bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and while resting, died” 1. Now this is not an exact quote since I have since found the original but the way I first read this quote is the version that has stuck. My point to this is how I rationalize this with our mission of witnessing to the lost. Due to “our” hesitation, we cannot fathom the amount of lost that will remain dead out there in the fields.

This is a thought that has a great impact upon me and maybe this is due to a calling to reach out to those who are lost? Maybe this is why it is so important to me or why I feel the urgency of a need for the Great Commission to be executed in a way that is radical. Some may think to themselves, radical? Yes, the same way it was done as we see in examples throughout the Bible. Where people enter an area and just begin to speak about the Gospel of Christ and that the Kingdom is coming. Where people actually go out into the streets and LOVE those who are lost as Christ loves them. To me, this could actually be radical because it is rare to see Christians commonly doing this. Also, while this is going on, others who are a part of the church where the witnesses originated from are on their knees interceding for those out in the fields. That would be radical now wouldn’t it? Members of the church actively interceding for the salvation of ALL the lost in their area but also interceding for those who are out executing the Great Commission in their area! Imagine such coordination within the Body of Christ?
--------
1 GEORGE W. CECIL. Under the pseudonym of William A. Lawrence, Cecil wrote and published an advertisement for the International Correspondence Schools in The American Magazine, March 1923, p. 87, in which this sentence is used. For further information and later paraphrase, see The Home Book of American Quotations, ed. Bruce Bohle, p. 208 (1967).

Pbminimum
Mar 19th 2013, 05:08 PM

In my opinion.

Amen to that ! If we would spend more time concentrating our efforts on those who we know are lost, instead of on those who we think are saved, the world would be much better off.

Protective Angel
Mar 24th 2013, 03:18 AM
These verse came to mind.

Luke 5:31
And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

The laundry dumpers need prayers. They have to realize in their own hearts, where their problems are.