PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Long Charts on the Internet

Cyberseeker
Apr 10th 2013, 08:01 AM
Hi. I would like to create a web page containing an over-long chart which can be scrolled left and right. Further to that, it would need to be expandable. In other words, the chart (a biblical history timeline) would have less detail at first but if clicked would expand that particular section to show greater detail. If clicked again it would expand even further.

Is there software that creates such a thing? Can anyone show me examples to look at? Can a Drupal website accommodate such a scrolling page?

Thanks for any ideas.

Cyberseeker

Thomas Forward
Apr 17th 2013, 10:03 PM
Hi. I would like to create a web page containing an over-long chart which can be scrolled left and right. Further to that, it would need to be expandable. In other words, the chart (a biblical history timeline) would have less detail at first but if clicked would expand that particular section to show greater detail. If clicked again it would expand even further.

Is there software that creates such a thing? Can anyone show me examples to look at? Can a Drupal website accommodate such a scrolling page?

Thanks for any ideas.

Cyberseeker

Cyber, what type of web host are you wanting to use. Most of my experience is on Windows hosting, using AJAX to make scrolling windows, nice and pretty even with scrolling when mouse-over happens on an "arrow". I'm sure there are tons of AJAX modules now to make it even spiffier. With my most recent site hosting attempt, I decided to try the other side and went with an Apache host. I had to relearn everything over again because implementing what I had before in Apache, even with cpanel and all the content management tools was challenging. I did play with Drupal, though, trying to create a fancy gallery with scrolling windows and all the bells and whistles. I think unless you are a PHP/Apache programmer and can make your own Drupal mods, it'll be... well, I'm not sure it's practically possible. I went with Gallery 3 in the end and aside from fancy scrolling windows, it's served me pretty well. I'm sure if I could program PHP half as well as I can deal with .net, it would have all the bells and whistles too.

Hope this helps.

God bless.