PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Need help on a new study Bible

Travis Haynie
May 14th 2013, 01:29 PM
I Have a horrible, yet exciting decision to make. Horrible because my long time Bible has finally fallen apart. Iraq was just too much for it. Exciting because I get to choose something new. I'm a long-time NIV reader, but I'm willing to consider other versions. Really looking for a study Bible. My three main candidates are the NIV study Bible, the HCSB study Bible and the ESV study Bible. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm really having trouble deciding. Thanks in advance!

Walls
May 14th 2013, 03:48 PM
I Have a horrible, yet exciting decision to make. Horrible because my long time Bible has finally fallen apart. Iraq was just too much for it. Exciting because I get to choose something new. I'm a long-time NIV reader, but I'm willing to consider other versions. Really looking for a study Bible. My three main candidates are the NIV study Bible, the HCSB study Bible and the ESV study Bible. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm really having trouble deciding. Thanks in advance!

Take a chance and get the Scofield Study Bible in New King James. Even if you don't agree with many things it will broaden your horizons immeasurably.

Vakeros
May 14th 2013, 04:37 PM
I use And Bible which is on my Android phone. This allows, ESV and KJV and the Greek and Hebrew. But if I were to get one in print then I would probably go for the ESV.

Boo
May 15th 2013, 09:27 AM
I use And Bible which is on my Android phone. This allows, ESV and KJV and the Greek and Hebrew. But if I were to get one in print then I would probably go for the ESV.

That is what I did. Works well for me, though I also have the NASB in a study bible.

Thomas Forward
May 15th 2013, 03:08 PM

I got the ESV study bible a few months ago and so far very pleased with the additional materials, reference, historical notes, and so forth that come with it. It really is hefty with additional references and lots of information. The only problem that I can say is that it's unfortunately not a red-letter edition. It never dawned on me to check for that because I just kind of presumed they all had red letters. But I still have my old NKJV and a 20 year old NIV that I go to as well. The ESV came with an access code though to open up an online ESV "account" at crossway.org and that opens up tons and tons of options for your own cross reference (fully linkable I think) and so forth.

But, I think as Vakeros and Boo said, there are too many online options not to take advantage of them. I came up when there was no internet or computers or portable phones or anything like that, so I really love having a bible I can hold and flip real paper pages on, but I've embraced the online options too. A logos account is free and that can also link you to biblia and versa online materials and many bible versions, as well.

Blessings to you, Travis.

TrustGzus
May 15th 2013, 04:50 PM

You cannot go wrong with the three you listed. All of them are excellent. The only one I don't have is the HCSB Study Bible. Just haven't gotten around to picking it up. I have the HCSB Apologetics Study Bible and the HCSB Apologetics Study Bible for Students, but not the more recent HCSB Study Bible.

But the three you mentioned have great general notes that cut across denominational borders and often share differing ideas that Christians have. I like both the NIV & ESV Study Bibles. Both are outstanding. One advantage the NIV Study Bible has is it comes in more sizes and thus is more manageable to carry around. I have a compact NIV Study Bible that I like to carry around. It's quite small for a study Bible and not heavy. Of course the font isn't too big either. So you need some decent eyesight or bright lighting. My eyesight is good enough for it though I do enjoy the ease of large font Bibles.

The ESV Study Bible is so big & heavy. It's not convenient to carry in my opinion. The ESV Study Bible, however, has a lot more articles than the NIV Study Bible. But again, I prefer something I can carry.

Tony Cross
May 16th 2013, 04:52 AM
I am not KJV only guy, but I do like the Zondervan KJV study Bible. Plenty of notes and translators who believed the scriptures were the infallible word of God.

Boo
May 16th 2013, 09:16 AM
I am not KJV only guy, but I do like the Zondervan KJV study Bible. Plenty of notes and translators who believed the scriptures were the infallible word of God.

Not to sidetrack too far, Tony, but does your statement indicate that you believe that there are translators who do not believe the scriptures were the infallible Word of God? If so, how would you know which translators those were?

Tony Cross
May 17th 2013, 05:45 PM
Not to sidetrack too far, Tony, but does your statement indicate that you believe that there are translators who do not believe the scriptures were the infallible Word of God? If so, how would you know which translators those were?

Hey Boo, how are you? Good question. I think the key word is infallible. Without doing some research , I can't give any names right now, but yes, I do believe they exist. Most off them have written books or other commentaries that could be checked out which would be one way to learn about their beliefs. Then again, I could be wrong:)

Obfuscate
May 17th 2013, 05:58 PM
Orthodox Study Bible is a great one with commentary. You get the Apocrapha and commentary from an Orthodox perspective, very interesting.

King James is the most fun to read IMO.

BadDog
May 17th 2013, 06:21 PM
FWIW, I love the HCSB, and have the Apologetics study Bible you refer to above. The ESV is a good translation as well. Now sure about the study Bible. I am speaking as one who really digs deep in the Word.

BD

Boo
May 18th 2013, 10:02 AM
Hey Boo, how are you? Good question. I think the key word is infallible. Without doing some research , I can't give any names right now, but yes, I do believe they exist. Most off them have written books or other commentaries that could be checked out which would be one way to learn about their beliefs. Then again, I could be wrong:)

I can find commentaries that I think are weak or distorted, but then again, I could be wrong, too.

It may actually be better if a manuscript is translated by an Atheist. At least then there would be no translations distorted by previously held doctrine. One does not have to be a Christian to translate a language. I believe some problems with translations came from the translators inserting certain words because of a personal belief.

Tony Cross
May 19th 2013, 03:05 AM
I can find commentaries that I think are weak or distorted, but then again, I could be wrong, too.

It may actually be better if a manuscript is translated by an Atheist. At least then there would be no translations distorted by previously held doctrine. One does not have to be a Christian to translate a language. I believe some problems with translations came from the translators inserting certain words because of a personal belief.

An Atheist ???? LOL. Tell you what,since I agree with your last statement, lets settle for one who is not locked in to any preconceived beliefs. Regardless, Ijust want accuracy and I think you do too.

psyche643
May 19th 2013, 03:56 PM
I love my ESV study Bible, but I have not experienced other study Bibles. I feel like it does a good job explaining different possible interpretations for the text, while explaining why the ESV translators came to a certain conclusion. The introductions can be daunting. I started off reading five pages of "introductions" per day, and a few chapters of New Testament daily without consulting the notes (for a reason I'll explain in a minute.) Once I got to Genesis 1 I started reading only one page/day with notes! I find this conducive to in-depth study.

In my experience, Biblical study sometimes helps me academically (like when I read something and say "oh, that's an interesting historical angle") and spiritually (like when I read something and say "wow, God just hit me right there.") I find that for me, both are necessary, and not one without the other. The notes often help me with the academic angle, and sometimes with the spiritual angle. This is why I read a few chapters of Biblical text sans notes, and also some with notes!

Boo
May 21st 2013, 09:43 AM
An Atheist ???? LOL. Tell you what,since I agree with your last statement, lets settle for one who is not locked in to any preconceived beliefs. Regardless, Ijust want accuracy and I think you do too.

Yes, brother, the truth is all I want. Sometimes, we don't necessarily get that from a translator who has his own agenda.

psyche643
May 21st 2013, 01:48 PM
Yes, brother, the truth is all I want. Sometimes, we don't necessarily get that from a translator who has his own agenda.

Just a note: Everyone brings an opinion to the table, including atheists.

Boo
May 22nd 2013, 09:46 AM
Just a note: Everyone brings an opinion to the table, including atheists.

Some people just translate.

psyche643
May 24th 2013, 11:39 PM
Some people just translate.

I have to disagree. Where there are multiple ways a phrase can be translated, the translator will go with the one that makes the most sense according to his opinion.

jesusfreak1991
May 25th 2013, 01:54 AM
I have a Scofield NKJV, ESV and NASB. I'm quite impressed the the NASB and would recommend it to anyone.

adampjr
May 25th 2013, 03:33 AM
Some good study bibles. I personally just like to have a bible without much commentary, adn I'll check study bibles or online comments when I need. I like to see a variety of perspectives.

The Geneva Study bible is available online, I often check this for the Reformed perspective. (classical Reformed perpective)
The Zondervan KJV is a good one. (Fundamentalist perspective)
the MacArthur Bible is a good one, was my favorite for a while (modern Reformed perspective)
The Nelson Study Bible NKJV (Evangelical perspective)
Scofield Bible (early dispensationalist perspective)

And, of course, mine which was mentioned by Obfuscate, the orthodox Study bible, provides the Eastern view on many passages. Some of the notes are a bit redundant, a criticism I can't help but make (Eastern perspective)

adampjr
May 25th 2013, 03:36 AM
Boo,

Perhaps you are looking for this: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

:P

Boo
May 25th 2013, 11:02 AM
Boo,

Perhaps you are looking for this: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

:P

Well, actually, I am not, but thanks anyway.

Boo
May 25th 2013, 11:04 AM
I have to disagree. Where there are multiple ways a phrase can be translated, the translator will go with the one that makes the most sense according to his opinion.

That being the case, I'd bet that the United Nations really has a big problem with their translation staff. Their translator's political agendas would really cause problems, and computer translation programs would be useless.

Would an atheist insert theological doctrine into a translation work? Theologians sure do.

Proverbs31Woman
May 26th 2013, 02:15 AM
I mainly use the ESV version of the MacArthur Study Bible. It is a really nice, readable version without being super watered down. I also have the NKJV and NASB versions of the MacArthur Study Bible. The ESV is my favorite I think and was a really nice replacement for my NIV Study Bible.