PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Joshua

Frances
May 16th 2013, 04:05 PM
From the fore word in my NKJV – “Through 3 major military campaigns involving more than 30 enemy armies, the people of Israel learn a crucial lesson . . . victory comes through faith in God and obedience to His word, rather than through military might or numerical superiority.”

This book covers a period between 1400 – 1375BC.

Joshua 1

What did I learn of God? – He ensures each of His people receives the training to accomplish all He calls them to do. He gave the descendants of Jacob(Israel) the land of Canaan (Gen. 12:5-7). His people only obtain all He Promises them if they are obedient to Him and His Word. His people will be successful and prosperous if they obey Him; He doesn’t want them to be afraid or dismayed as He will always be with them.

What did I learn of myself? – Am I willing to wait, learn and be used in ‘small’ ways, for many years before receiving the specific Ministry the Lord has Called me to do? or am I too impatient, fail to learn sufficient, and so miss my Calling? God enables me to fulfil His Purposes for me wherever I am, but only within the boundaries He has set for me. Do I accept God’s Strength and Courage to do His Will? Do I meditate on God’s Word? Do I fully understand that God does not necessarily regard my ‘prosperity and success’ as financial, but fulfilling His Purposes for me?
If I am strong and courageous God will be with me.
If I am careful to obey Him He will give me what He has Promised me.
If I meditate on His Word He will always be with me.
If I obey God I will prosper and succeed.
If I obey God I have no need to fear or be discouraged because God will be with me wherever I go.

What did I praise God for? – That He is always willing to be with His people.

What did I pray for? – To always be strong and courageous enough to do His Will.

What does this say in one sentence? – Joshua receives God’s Commission, and the order to cross the Jordan.

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “the key to Biblical prosperity is obedience . . . God cannot be separated from His Law because it is a reflection of His character. Both God and His Law because it is Perfect, Holy, Just and Good.”

Frances
May 18th 2013, 03:56 PM
Joshua 2

What did I learn of God? – He Guided the Israelite spies to the home of Rahab, the prostitute. He dried up the Red Sea for His people to cross when they left Egypt. He fought with His people against the Amorite kings. He is the God of Heaven and Earth.

What did I learn of myself? – Am I trusting the Lord like Rahab? Or know of God but do not commit my life to Him? Do I take personal risks to protect those true to God? Do I always keep secrets? Have I erected a wall between myself and God and His people of ‘good works’, ridicule, belief in evolution, or even of religion?

What did I praise God for? – Preparing the way for His people.

What did I pray for? – To instantly recognise what God is doing and align myself with Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – Joshua sent 2 spies to Jericho who were hidden by Rahab – who demonstrates the difference between knowing about God intellectually and knowing Him personally through commitment to Him.

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “God knows the difference between incidents to protect the life of innocent victims; the use of discretion to protect someone’s feelings, and bold, deceitful lies to protect ourselves.
Note:-it is the scarlet thread of the Blood of Christ that protects us from the wrath of the Law. All who go on repenting and trusting Christ are protected from Eternal Justice.

Frances
May 19th 2013, 04:01 PM
Joshua 3+4

What did I learn of God? – His timing is always perfect. He makes ‘natural’ things happen for His Glory. He requires total obedience from His people. He shows His Power through those who are obedient to Him.

What did I learn of myself? – Do I ask God to encourage me with answered prayer or some other sign of His Presence with me? Do I obey precisely what God says? Do I follow His Instructions even when they seem ridiculous to me? Am I prepared to fight those who fight against the Lord? Do I ensure my family know what the Lord has done for me? Do I realise how powerful God is.

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom is without equal.

What did I pray for? – To always know precisely what He wants me to do, not only in big things but in every small detail too.

What does this say in one sentence? - Israel crosses over the Jordan and places memorial stones where the priests stood when God stopped the water, and also at Gilgal.

Note:- The river Jordan also dried up in the 1920s, when it’s steep clay banks at Adam fell into the river and blocked it for over 20 hours

Frances
May 20th 2013, 03:40 PM
Joshua 5

What did I learn of God? – He required all the males among His people to be circumcised. He removed the shame of slavery in Egypt when the wounds of their circumcision had healed. His Provision of Manna stopped the day after His people ate what the land of Canaan produced. He does not fight with anyone, but invites folk to fight with Him.

What did I learn of myself? – Did my ancestors circumcise their hearts (Deut.30:6) Have I circumcised my heart (Deut.10:16)? if so, the Lord has removed the shame associated with my former Sin. I must make an effort to obtain spiritual food – not expect it to fall into my lap. I must not expect the Lord to fight with me in battles of my choosing, but I must fight with Him where and when He chooses to obtain Victory.

What did I praise God for? – Keeping His Promises to my ancestors.

What did I pray for? - To always realise if I have stopped following Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – God told Joshua to circumcise all the males, he then met the Commander of the Lord’s army, and the Manna stopped.

Frances
May 21st 2013, 04:28 PM
Joshua 6

What did I learn of God? – His people may only acquire what He ‘gives’ them, which involves total obedience to what may appear to be futile orders. (eg. if they had thought that walking round Jericho fewer times was enough they would not have obtained what God wanted to give [as in 2 Kings 13:18]) He ensured the earthquake happened the moment His orders were carried out. He may have cursed, and want destroyed, something that may appear useful (eg. donkeys and sheep) No one has any defence against Him.

What did I learn of myself? – Do I take careful note of each small detail of what He says? Would I be prepared to look a fool (eg. marching round Jericho) Do I forfeit what the Lord wants to give me, by making something easier for myself, and not following every small detail of His Word? Have I anything in my home the Lord has cursed? (eg. something dedicated to be used in worship of anything other than Him) Victories are won when obedience is complete.

What did I praise God for? – Requiring me to adhere to His high standards.

What did I pray for? – To be shown anything in my home that offends the Lord.

What does this say in one sentence? – The conquest and destruction of Jericho – God’s Way.

Note:- excavations suggest that Jericho had a stone wall 11 foot high, then 35foot of smooth stones at an angle of 35 degrees, with more walling towering higher still.

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “The Ark is mentioned 10 times in this chapter before the walls fall down. If we want to see the downfall of the Enemy, the presentation of the 10 Commandments must pre-seed the victorious shout of the Gospel.

Frances
May 22nd 2013, 03:33 PM
Joshua 7

What did I learn of God? – He knows everything each person does. He Judged, and punished, the whole nation when one man was disobedient to Him, and remained undetected and unpunished. He is Glorified when one of His people confesses their Sin.

What did I learn of myself? – Have I always obeyed the Lord? Have I ever done what the Lord said ‘Don’t do’? If so, have I Glorified Him by confessing that Sin? Or am I risking the lives (physical or spiritual) of innocent people? Do I focus on the consequences of a set-back or the cause? Do I deal with intended or unintentional Sin immediately I know of it? Before I Sin do I consider that it will affect others (like the ripples after dropping a stone in a pond)?

What did I praise God for? – His standards of purity among His people.

What did I pray for? - To be nagged into obedience if necessary.

What does this say in one sentence? – Aachan disobeyed God, resulting in the Israelites being defeated at Ai and 34 of them being killed, so he and all his family were stoned and burnt (presumably because they must have known of his guilt and so shared it)

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “this chapter should instantly make us hear God. Aachan gave himself to covetousness and theft. His Sin brought trouble to Israel. Sin often not only destroys us, but those we love the most.

Note:-prayer is no substitute for obedience.

Frances
May 23rd 2013, 04:21 PM
Joshua 8

What did I learn of God? – He speaks to His people. When all trace of Sin is removed He gives Victory. He must be obeyed implicitly. He may want His people to accomplish His Will by stealth, preparation and His Timing. His Word is of prime importance. He is not obligated to give Victory where Sin is present.

What did I learn of myself? – Do I always submit my will to the Will of God? I will always be Victorious in God’s Strength providing I have obeyed His Instructions to the letter and there is no un-confessed and unrepented, and therefore un-forgiven, Sin between me and God. I will not be caught in an unexpected ambush if I always heed the Lord and obey Him. Do I always give the Lord the praise due to Him?

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom, Power and Authority.

What did I pray for? – To know immediately if I am about to disobey God.

What does this say in one sentence? – Victory at Ai.

Quote:-(George Muller)” it is a common temptation of Satan to make us give up the reading of the Word and prayer when our enjoyment is gone . . . the Truth is that in order to enjoy the Word, we ought to continue reading it, and the way to obtain spirit of prayer is to continue praying.”
Notes:-the less we read the Word and pray the less our desire to do so will be.

Frances
May 24th 2013, 04:32 PM
Joshua 9

What did I learn of God? – He did not Guide regarding the course of action because He was not consulted. He allows His people to act foolishly. He even uses our mistakes to accomplish His Purposes.

What did I learn of myself? – Do I always consult the Lord regarding what I should do and say? Have I ever made mistakes? I would be wise to consult him regarding everything. I cannot rely on what I see and hear from others. Do I keep promises I make, even when tricked into making them?

What did I praise God for? – He allows His people to either ask for, and act on, His Guidance – or make their own decisions and their own mistakes.

What did I pray for? – To be reminded to consult the Lord regarding everything I do and say.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Israelites did not consult God before making a treaty with the Gibeonites/Hivites.

Quote:-(A W Tozer) “listen to no man who fails to listen to God. . . True moral wisdom must always be an echo of God’s Voice. The only safe light for our path is the Light which is reflected from Christ.

Frances
May 25th 2013, 04:16 PM
]Joshua 10, 11 and 12[/B]

What did I learn of God? – He Guides His people. His actions enable His people to be Victorious, when they obey Him. He Provides for His people. He controls the weather.

What did I learn of myself? – Total victory in any situation, requires my total obedience to God. The Lord will provide my needs if I follow His Instructions. – as no one can steer a stationary vehicle, in a similar way I must be moving in faith before He is likely to act on my behalf. . . tiredness is no reason to rest if the Lord tells me to do something ‘now’.

What did I praise God for? – All He has led me to accomplish with Him in the past.

What did I pray for? - Strength to fight with Him in the future.

What does this say in one sentence? - The kings beaten in battle, some when the sun stood still over Gibeon and the moon over Aijalon.

Note:- (11:4) Josephus says this army had 30,000 foot soldiers, 10,000 cavalry and 20,000 chariots.

Quote (Lawrence O. Richards) “In Biblical times chariots, often a decisive weapon in battle, were disassembled for transport over hills to the battlefield, and were reassembled there. It is possible that Joshua attacked the enemy before the chariots could be put back together and deployed.”
(Gary Thomas) “just as rebellion leads to war, so surrender leads to Peace. . . The choice is ours - a virtual war with God or a peaceful surrender . . . His call for us to surrender to Him is unconditional.

Frances
May 26th 2013, 04:30 PM
Joshua 13+14

What did I learn of God? – What He gives a nation during the lifetime of a man (eg.Moses), remains the possession of the one He gave it to after that man has died.

What did I learn of myself? – If I serve the Lord in the way He desires He is my Inheritance. If I spend my life wholeheartedly following the Lord, knowing both Victory and defeat are in His Hand, I will be prepared to fight under His Banner in adverse circumstances to receive His Promises. I will not expect to receive God’s Promises with no effort on my part or if I do not wholly follow Him.

What did I praise God for? – Always keeping His Promises to those who trust Him wholeheartedly.

What did I pray for? – That my faith in God will not waver, and that I will still be able and willing to fight under His Banner whatever my age.

What does this say in one sentence? - The divisions of land yet to be conquered.

Frances
May 27th 2013, 03:36 PM
Joshua 15 to 21

What did I learn of God? – He understands that some may Sin accidentally or unintentionally, and has made provision for their protection until they are formerly judged. He keeps His Promises and expects His people to honour His Word. Although He gives what He Promises, His people will usually have to fight before they are able to possess what He has given, eg. rest, and to live in peace. He expects His people’s spiritual leaders to be provided for, to an equal living standard to their own.

What did I learn of myself? – The Lord has made adequate provision for me but to possess it I may have to work hard and long – which may seem like a battle. When I Sin accidentally or unintentionally I must acknowledge and confess it; then I will be protected from other’s revenge but not from justice. I must protect the innocent. My past spiritual victories do not guarantee continued strong faith if I don’t continue to trust and obey God each day. I must encourage others to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions.

What did I praise God for? – Being totally reliable and all His Provision.

What did I pray for? –I don’t relax too soon but fight, when necessary, to the end.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Israelites divided, and dwelt in, the land the Lord gave them.

Quote:- (T.C.Horton) “You can measure what you would do for the Lord by what you do now”

(Ray Comfort) “the Valley of Hinnom was a place where pagan worshippers burned children alive as sacrifices to the false gods Molech and Baal. One part of the Valley was called Tophet (Firestone).

(Christiananswers.net) “it was the avengers right and duty to slay the murderer if he found him outside the city of refuge . . . This arrangement applied only in cases where the death was not premeditated.”

Frances
May 28th 2013, 04:07 PM
Joshua 22

What did I learn of God? – He gives what He Promises, but not necessarily instantly. He knows what is in each person’s heart.

What did I learn of myself? – Have I always obeyed the Lord and His Word? I would be wise to always obey Him in future. Am I concerned that my descendants trust and worship God? do I make what preparation I can to ensure this? Do I ever misunderstand other people’s actions? Do I always talk before acting in outrage? Do I take offence if other people misinterpret my actions? or explain with humility?

What did I praise God for? – Always being true to His Word.

What did I pray for? – To know what preparations to make to ensure future generations worship the Lord God.

What does this say in one sentence? – Soldiers from the Eastern tribes returned to their lands with great wealth and built an altar by the Jordan.

Quote:-(Franklin Roosevelt) “we cannot read the history of our rise and development as a nation, without reckoning with the place the Bible has occupied in shaping the advances of the Republic . . . Where we have been the truest and most consistent in obeying its precepts, we have attained the greatest measure of content and prosperity.
Note:- the Heidelberg disputation (1518) said, “the law brings the wrath of God, kills, reviles, accuses, judges and condemns everything that is not in Christ.”

Frances
May 29th 2013, 03:37 PM
Joshua 23

What did I learn of God? – He fights for His people when they are obedient to Him. He keeps His Promises. He will not drive out what His people cling to. He achieves what He sets out to do. His anger burns against those who break Covenants with Him.

What did I learn of myself? – I must adhere to Almighty God and obey Him. I must not associate with any other gods. When I obey the Lord God He fights for me. Do I love Him as He deserves? Do I cling to any remnant of worldliness or Sin? if so, God will not remove it from me, I must demonstrate determination to remove it myself before I will be able to enjoy life with the Lord. Do I trust in, and tell of, God’s Promises? Am I faithful to God and encourage others to be too? Do I remind myself, and others, what God has done for us? Am I aware of, and remind others of, the consequences of turning away from the Lord?

What did I praise God for? – Fighting for His obedient people, and allowing His people who cling to worldliness and Sin to go their own way – without Him.

What did I pray for? – To recognise any worldliness or Sin in my life.

What does this say in one sentence? - Joshua’s farewell to Israel’s elders.

Quote:-(DL Moody) “it seems perfectly reasonable that God should have given us a glimpse of the future, for we are constantly losing some of our friends to death . . . Then it is that we turn to this blessed Book, for there is . . . other book that can tell us where the loved one has gone.”

Frances
May 31st 2013, 03:34 PM
Joshua 24

What did I learn of God? – He took Abraham, whose ancestors worshipped idols, and led him throughout Canaan and gave him many descendants through his son Isaac. He led them all to Egypt, and released them from slavery there. He led them through the red sea and the desert. He gave them victory in the land, He gave them the towns, vineyards and olive groves. He will not share the hearts of His people with ‘idols’. He will destroy those of His people who turn away from Him.

What did I learn of myself? – Whether or not my ancestors worshipped idols will not stop God Blessing me with victory if I trust and obey Him. I may not receive all God’s Promises to me for many years – I may die before those Promises are fulfilled. I must choose, today, whom I will serve. Will I serve the Lord God? Will I abandon Him to serve other interests? Do I remember all He has done for me? Do I make clear to others how important it is that they choose who or what they worship? Also that there is a cost in commitment to the Lord? Do I willingly surrender to the Lord everything I have and am? Is there anything in my life that might compete with God for my loyalty? Words I speak are binding and permanent. I can’t change the past, I can’t control the future, but I can chose to serve God in my lifetime; my commitment to Him, or lack of it, will influence those who know of me now.

What did I praise God for? – The opportunity to serve Him in my generation.

What did I pray for? – That my life will be a light leading others to Jesus Christ.

What does this say in one sentence? - The Covenant at Shechem with God to serve Him, and Joshua’s death.

Quote:-(A W Tozer) “in the moral conflicts now raging around us, whoever is on God’s side . . . Cannot lose; whoever is on the other side . . . cannot win. There is freedom to choose which side we shall be on, but no freedom to negotiate the results of the choice once it is made.