PDA

View Full Version : The Teaching Ministry of the Holy Spirit

ChangedByHim
Jun 26th 2013, 05:02 PM
This topic has been discussed in other threads and there is much that we can learn from one another if we discuss as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Text:
John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit is our Teacher.

I would like to throw out some questions for discussion:

Since the Holy Spirit is our Teacher, does this negate the need for God to give teachers into the Body of Christ? This gift of teaching is found in Ephesians 4:11, 1 Corinthians 12:28 and Romans 12:7, among other places.

Is the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit exclusive to our private devotional time in the Word?

If the Holy Spirit is my Teacher and the Holy Spirit is your Teacher, and so on, do we also need to hear what the Holy Spirit is teaching others? I Corinthians 12:16-18 says,"And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased."

I understand the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit. When I was saved, I spent 5 years studying the Word of God for 6-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I did so because I was hungry for God. At the end of those 5 years I went to Bible College; I am not bragging when I say that I knew the Word better than all of my professors. However, I clearly see in the Word how God places teachers in the body. We may not agree with everything that they say; that's where the Holy Spirit's discernment is needed. I also understand that there are false teachers in the land. Again, discernment. Build you foundation in your private time with God in the Word but don't shut yourself off from those who are gifted to teach, as they may have a word in season for you. My point is that we need one another. The Father did not send the Holy Spirit to make us an island to ourselves.

Anyway, that's my view. I will try to be open minded to those who have differing viewpoints. Let's learn from one another in the spirit of humility.

ChangedByHim
Jun 26th 2013, 09:18 PM
Raybob? Anyone? :)

Lyndie
Jun 26th 2013, 10:36 PM
Eph 4:11-And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers

So yes, teachers are biblical. I see the Holy spirit as being our teacher of what is good and right according to the definitions I read. IMO I find those who think they don't need a man as a teacher a bit prideful. Jesus even sat with the Rabbis (which means teacher) and learned from them as a child.

episkopos
Jun 26th 2013, 10:45 PM
This topic has been discussed in other threads and there is much that we can learn from one another if we discuss as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Text:
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Since the Holy Spirit is our Teacher, does this negate the need for God to give teachers into the Body of Christ? This gift of teaching is found in Ephesians 4:11, 1 Corinthians 12:28 and Romans 12:7, among other places.

Is the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit exclusive to our private devotional time in the Word?

If the Holy Spirit is my Teacher and the Holy Spirit is your Teacher, and so on, do we also need to hear what the Holy Spirit is teaching others? I Corinthians 12:16-18 says,"And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased."

I understand the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit. When I was saved, I spent 5 years studying the Word of God for 6-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I did so because I was hungry for God. At the end of those 5 years I went to Bible College; I am not bragging when I say that I knew the Word better than all of my professors. However, I clearly see in the Word how God places teachers in the body. We may not agree with everything that they say; that's where the Holy Spirit's discernment is needed. I also understand that there are false teachers in the land. Again, discernment. Build you foundation in your private time with God in the Word but don't shut yourself off from those who are gifted to teach, as they may have a word in season for you. My point is that we need one another. The Father did not send the Holy Spirit to make us an island to ourselves.

Anyway, that's my view. I will try to be open minded to those who have differing viewpoints. Let's learn from one another in the spirit of humility.

I find that as we function in the gifting we are given...the Spirit kicks in to take it to a new level. We begin in obedience and then God kicks in!

But the Spirit only teaches us what we need at the time. The giftings are working through the whole body. It is actually the quieter gifts that have the most lasting effect in the edification of the church. A quiet humility...a single word...silence... ;)

We both hear directly from God and directly from the brethren who also hear from God. When we put all the pieces together we get a clearer picture of Jesus Christ. We are putting back together the loaf that we break among ourselves in communion.

mikebr
Jun 27th 2013, 01:20 AM
I am of the opinion that God's glory is his manifestation. Paul said that Christ in us was the hope of Glory. God manifests himself through His body. The Heavens also declare His Glory. He can use anything He wants to teach us. I am Proof. So of course He can use men and women. Yep, women!

Raybob
Jun 27th 2013, 02:10 PM

Text:

Jesus said the spirit of truth shall guide us in ALL things. All things, should include everything mentioned here. The holy spirit helps us understand what teachers are trying to convey. That holy spirit of truth should be guiding everyone in ALL things, not just private time in the Word, but private time in all our thoughts, of all topics in life as well. It helps determine priorities, what's important, all phases of living on this earth, with Him as our co-pilot. .

I understand the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit. When I was saved, I spent 5 years studying the Word of God for 6-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I did so because I was hungry for God. At the end of those 5 years I went to Bible College; I am not bragging when I say that I knew the Word better than all of my professorsI'm sure you did. The holy spirit is the best teacher in this world. Colleges come to their truths by concensus of men, having men vote on what they believe is the correct truth, rather than letting the spirit show them. Guess that began at the council of Niceia <sp?> or even before that. If anyone read and understood just the book of John, that's all they would need to understand God's kingdom that was established when He took the throne (Acts 2). Men's teachings only distort and make a Babylon out of the simple message of the Kingdom of God. NT disciples preached the kingdom of God. Modern preachers preach salvation, as if the kingdom wasn't now, but some future time only lasting for 1000 years. Guess they learned that from bible colleges.

To me, church is whenever two or three or more, are gathered. Whenever we gather, each person should have something to edify the other, ideally.

How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
(1Co 14:26)

I built a house on edge of Nat'l forrest. Nearest organized church is very far, and very much work to get to and from, on my 'day of rest'. I've been planning to start a home bible study group here in my house. My 'worldly' ex-wife said that was good, but hindered any attempt to start one. She's gone now. ;) I want to start a bible study where everyone attending has a chance to speak. After all, the same Holy Spirit that teaches everyone is the same spirit that taught all the greatest commentators ever. Found a great web site for home based churches at ntrf.org

ChangedByHim
Jun 27th 2013, 02:43 PM
I will be praying for God to bring in the people for your home group Raybob... people who are hungry to know Jesus. It's time to act on the vision God has given you.

Raybob
Jun 27th 2013, 03:03 PM
I will be praying for God to bring in the people for your home group Raybob... people who are hungry to know Jesus. It's time to act on the vision God has given you.

Thank you David. God knows it's time. ;)