PDA

View Full Version : My Bible Study on Galatians Chapter 3.

chad
Jul 5th 2013, 11:14 AM
My Bible Study on Galatians Chapter 3.

Paul writing to the churches in Galatia of Galatians Chapter 3 about: The covenant of Abraham, the law of Moses and of Christ Jesus.

Paul in Galatians Chapter 3:5 writes that after receiving the spirit [Holy Spirit] which was by faith in Christ Jesus and not by the law [of Moses], they were again trying to obtain righteousness by human effort. Paul in verse 1 calls the Galatians foolish and asks who has bewitched you?

(Gal 3:1 NIV) You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.

(Gal 3:2 NIV) I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?

(Gal 3:3 NIV) Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

(Gal 3:4 NIV) Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing?

(Gal 3:5 NIV) Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

The Covenant of Abraham.

Paul writes in Galatians Chapter 3 verse 6, Abraham believed and it was credited to him as righteousness. Abraham did not achieve righteousness through works, but by believing in God.

(Gal 3:6 NIV) Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

(Gal 3:7 NIV) Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.

In the Old Testament, God entered into a covenant with Abraham. Included in this covenant was also a provision for the future, that gentiles would also be justified through faith.

(Gal 3:8 NIV) The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you."

(Gal 3:9 NIV) So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

The covenant made with Abraham was given 430 years before the law of Moses. Therefore the covenant existed before the law and righteousness was obtained through faith.

The Covenant that God made with Abraham is recorded in Genesis 17:1-22.

(Gen 17:1 NIV) When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty ; walk before me and be blameless.

(Gen 17:2 NIV) I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers."

(Gen 17:3 NIV) Abram fell facedown, and God said to him,

(Gen 17:4 NIV) "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.

(Gen 17:5 NIV) No longer will you be called Abram ; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.

(Gen 17:6 NIV) I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you.

(Gen 17:7 NIV) I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.

NOTE: *(Gen 17:7 KJV) And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

* For those that use a translation other than the KJV, the word seed may be translated as descendants or some other word. In the NIV translation the word ‘Seed’ is translated as descendants.

(Gen 17:8 NIV) The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God."

*Gen 17:8 KJV) And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

(Gen 17:9 NIV) Then God said to Abraham, "As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come.

*(Gen 17:9 KJV) And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.

(Gen 17:10 NIV) This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised.

(Gen 17:11 NIV) You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you.

(Gen 17:12 NIV) For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner--those who are not your offspring.

(Gen 17:13 NIV) Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant.

(Gen 17:14 NIV) Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

(Gen 17:15 NIV) God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah.

(Gen 17:16 NIV) I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her."

(Gen 17:17 NIV) Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?"

(Gen 17:18 NIV) And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!"

(Gen 17:19 NIV) Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.

(Gen 17:20 NIV) And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation.

(Gen 17:21 NIV) But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year."

(Gen 17:22 NIV) When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.

The Law given to Moses.

Paul writes that the purpose of the Law was to point us to Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith (Gal 3:24).

We cannot obtain righteousness through the law, but only by faith, faith in Christ Jesus (Gal 3:21-22).

The law was put into place until the time the ‘seed’ had come (Gal 3:19 - Jesus was the ‘seed’ written about in the covenant given to Abraham)

In Christ, we are no longer under the supervision of the law of Moses (Gal 3:25)

Paul writes - all who rely on the Law are under a curse (Gal 3:10) for our righteousness is not by the law but by Faith (Gal 3:11).

(Gal 3:10 NIV) All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

(Gal 3:11 NIV) Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."

(Gal 3:12 NIV) The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."

(Gal 3:13 NIV) Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

The Covenant with Abraham and the Law.

When God made the covenant with Abraham, in it he made provision for the future. Gentiles would also be included in the covenant. They would become children of God, through faith in Christ Jesus (Gal 3:14).

In Genesis 17:7-9 the covenant was for Abraham and thy ‘seed’. The ‘seed’ was referring to Christ Jesus (Gal 3:16).

(Gen 17:7 KJV) And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

(Gen 17:8 KJV) And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

(Gen 17:9 KJV) And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.

(Gal 3:16 NIV) The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

The law given to Moses, does not set aside the covenant made by God to Abraham and to the future children of God, who are children of God through faith in Christ Jesus (Gal 3:17). For the inheritance is given to those who are God’s children through faith.

(Gal 3:14 NIV) He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

(Gal 3:15 NIV) Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case.

(Gal 3:16 NIV) The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is
Christ.

(Gal 3:17 NIV) What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.

Gods promise and inheritance given to Abraham was given through a promise, through the covenant. It was given before the law and does not depend on the law, but faith (Gal 3:18)

(Gal 3:18 NIV) For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

(Gal 3:19 NIV) What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

(Gal 3:20 NIV) A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

The law cannot make us righteous, if it could, then righteousness would have come through the law.

(Gal 3:21 NIV) Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.

(Gal 3:22 NIV) But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

(Gal 3:23 NIV) Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.

The law was put in place (in charge) to lead us to Christ, so that we might be justified through faith.

(Gal 3:24 NIV) So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.

(Gal 3:25 NIV) Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

We are sons of God through Faith in Christ Jesus.

(Gal 3:26 NIV) You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus,

For all who were baptized into Christ, have clothed ourselves with Christ.

(Gal 3:27 NIV) for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

(Gal 3:28 NIV) There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

If we belong to Christ, then we are of Abraham’s seed, according to the promise given to Abraham.

(Gal 3:29 NIV) If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Summary of Galatians Chapter 3.

God made a covenant with Abraham in the Old Testament. That covenant included a future provision for the gentiles to become children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. As recorded in Genesis 17:7, it writes: I will establish this covenant between thee and thy seed. The seed referring to Christ. Gentiles were able to become Children of God, through faith in Christ Jesus.

Both the Covenant with Abraham and the law given to Moses pointed to the future coming of Christ. The law of Moses points us to Christ, the Covenant of Abraham put us 'In Jesus, The Christ', 'Through Jesus, The Christ', by faith. We become Children of God and also heirs to the promise of Abraham.

Our righteousness, therefore is not in the law of Moses and cannot be obtained through the law of Moses, but only through faith. That is Faith in Jesus Christ. As Abraham gained righteousness by faith, before the law was given, we also gain righteousness by faith in Christ Jesus, apart from the law [of Moses].

Jesus was the ‘seed’ written in the covenant of Abraham. It is through Jesus that both Jews and Gentiles obtain righteousness. Jesus origin was not the same as Adam or Eve, but Jesus origin was from Heaven. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit through the Virgin Mary. He was not of earthly origin, but of heavenly origin. Adam was created on this earth and was of the earth, but Christ was from above. He was the word, he was with God from the beginning and was God.