PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Judges

Frances
Jul 21st 2013, 04:27 PM
Judges

This book contrasts the obedient people with Joshua conquering the land through God's Power, and the idolatrous people being defeated because of rebellion against God. The repeated result of abandoning God's Law is corruption from within and oppression from without.

This book covers the time from the death of Joshua, about 1375BC to Saul being crowned about 1040BC; contrasting the obedient people with Joshua conquering the land through trusting God's Power, and the idolatrous people being defeated because of rebellion against God.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " The normal Christian life is intended to be an unbroken walk of fellowship with the Lord. Those who see Christian experience as a cycle of Sin, confession, restoration, temporary obedience and sin again, have missed the message of this Old Testament book. Each time we venture into Sin we are likely to go further. God is always willing to take us back but Sin will ultimately harden our hearts against Him."

Judges 1

What did I learn of God? - He favours those intent on obeying Him, regardless of the difficult.

What did I learn of myself – Is my obedience to God a daily choice? or is it my determination regardless of difficulties? Do I complete what God tells me to do? or only partially complete the tasks?

What did I praise God for? - His help to conquer everything and everyone opposed to His sovereignty.

What did I pray for? - His Wisdom to know when to press on and when to relax.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The continuing, and incomplete, conquest of Canaan.

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “God is with the believer, nothing is impossible for Him to accomplish through those who obey Him.”

Frances
Jul 23rd 2013, 06:05 PM
[FONT=Verdana][/FO

Judges 2

What did I learn of God? - He requires total obedience. He is angry when His people worship other gods, and allows calamities to befall them to discipline them. He also empowers some folk to lead the rest to Victory, eventually - because He has pity on the people in spite of their rebellion.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I make covenants with those who don't worship God, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ? Am I only true to the Lord because of the presence of another person? or do I have an unbreakable personal relationship with Him? I am responsible for the teaching I give, not for how the people I have taught act after I die. Am I willing to learn from other people's experiences? Do I worship other gods? (eg. sport, animals or Allah)

What did I praise God for? - His Compassion.

What did I pray for? - To be warned when I am about to deviate from the Lord's Will.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Death of Joshua and Israel's disobedience and unfaithfulness.

Quote:- (Abraham Lincoln)" There is just one way to bring up a child in the way he should go, and that is to travel that way yourself."NT]

Frances
Jul 24th 2013, 07:30 PM
Judges 3

What did I learn of God? - He allows difficulties in the lives of His people to discover if they will obey what He has said in the past, or turn away from Him to other gods. He is angry with those who serve other gods and disciplines them by allowing them to suffer. He answers His people’s prayers for deliverance - but not always immediately.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I always obey God's formerly revealed Will? Do I serve other gods? Do I allow the Holy Spirit to lead me God's Way? Does my presence encourage others to be true to God? Am I willing to put my life into danger to serve God and His people?

What did I praise God for? - His Holy Spirit.

What did I pray for? - Patience to wait for God to act on my behalf.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's method of training and delivering His people from oppression.

Quote:- (Henry Ward Beecher)” whatever is only almost true is quite false, and among the most dangerous of errors, because being so near Truth, it is more likely to lead astray.”

Frances
Jul 25th 2013, 03:29 PM
Judges 4+5

What did I learn of God? - He brings disaster on those who constantly treat Him with contempt. He keeps His Promises. He is worthy of praise. He gives Peace to those who obey Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I willingly obey God in-spite of what the people around me do? Do I give in to peer pressure? Am I intimidated by the apparent strength of adversaries in spite of God's assurances? Am I willing to follow the Lord into danger? I need to battle against the things in life that oppress me and others. I may fulfill the Lord's Will by being at home more readily than by labouring elsewhere. Do I sing to praise the Lord? The way to peace is to obey the Lord and fight with, and for, Him. What opportunity is too great for me to miss today?

What did I praise God for? - Keeping His Promises. His Wisdom, Power and Might..

What did I pray for? - To hear His directions clearly, and reminders if I don't instantly obey Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Deborah, Barak and Jael, and their song.

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “the Bible is filled with incredible violence . . . It reveals it, and then offers the solution to the wicked and violent heart of man - the Gospel of Peace.”

Frances
Jul 26th 2013, 04:08 PM
Judges 6

What did I learn of God? - He is worthy of the best I can give. He understands human frailties. He 'clothed' Gideon with His Power. He may do unusual things to demonstrate His Power.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I suffer because l, and my relatives, serve other gods? Do I recognize the Lord? Do I obey Him? Do I offer Him the best that I am able? If, intending to obey Him, I ask for confirmation of His Will He will give it. Do I stand up for those who honour God? It is not necessary for me to advertise my obedience to God, it is enough to obey.

What did I praise God for? - His understanding.
What did I pray for? - Courage to obey Him, even when doing so could mean my death.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Gideon destroyed Baal's altar.

Quote;- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Gideon's prayers about the fleece were not an effort to determine what God's Will was. Gideon knew that. The requests were made for Gideon's own personal encouragement, and were made only after he had already demonstrated his willingness to obey God."

Quote:-(Ray Comfort) “trials are not necessarily sign that God has forsaken you. The Christian life is filled with Lion’s Dens and Red Seas. Trust God to shut the mouths of lions and open Red Seas . . . Because whatever you are going through will be worked out for your good.”

Frances
Jul 27th 2013, 03:10 PM
[Judges 7

What did I learn of God? - He performs His miracles in impossible situations, so no one else can receive, or claim, the Glory that is rightfully His. He provides encouragement for His people; He may enable them to gain victory by simple means. He may choose a few (300) to strike the first blow for His Kingdom, then the rest of His Army (32,000) are also important in gaining ultimate Victory.

What did I learn of myself? - I do not need to lead, or to be part of a large group to be used by the Lord in important ways. There is no shame in not being part of God's 'advance guard'. I am only safe when I am part of the Lord's Army; every army against Him, however large, is doomed to failure. Do I follow the Lord's Instructions implicitly? or do I try to 'improve' on them?

Note:- God gave reassurance after Gideon obeyed a command, not before.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God directed Gideon to choose 300 men as his army's 'advance guard'.

Quote:- (George A. Buttrick)"A man aught not to expect light on God's Will in life's intricacies of conduct if he is unwilling to follow His clear will in life's simplicities."
Quote:-(John Keith Falconer) “I have but one life to burn as I would rather burn it out in a land filled with Darkness than in a land flooded with Light.
Quote:- (Ray Comfort) “God desires broken vessels will let their light shine before men . . . Who will take up to two-edge sword of the Word of God and boldly lift up their voice as a trumpet and show people their transgressions.” What did I praise God for? - The importance to Him of each individual.
ZE=1][/SIZE]

Frances
Jul 28th 2013, 05:52 PM
]Judges 8

What did I learn of God? - What He Promises comes to pass in spite of opposition from others.

What did I learn of myself? - More is achieved by humility than by pride. Doing the Lord's Will may mean I get exhausted and I may be denied the sustenance I need (physical or spiritual). Do I expect others to do what they are not able to? Do I allow good I have done to lead me away from the Lord? Have I physically rejected acclaim but in my mind accepted it?(Gideon refused to be king, but named his son Abimelech - which means 'son of the king'.)

What did I praise God for? - Doing what He sets out to do, when He is obeyed.

What did I pray for? - true humility.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Gideon's continuing battle with the Midianites; he also made, and encouraged the Israelites to worship, an idol he made of Midianite earrings - even though God gave peace during Gideon's lifetime.

Frances
Jul 28th 2013, 05:55 PM
[Judges 9

What did I learn of God? - He may encourage ill-will between people if it will fulfill his Purposes. He Judges those who commit crimes against His servants.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I try to exalt myself? Am I deceitful? Do I choose worthy companions? Do I always act with honour and sincerity? Do I admit former errors and seek to correct them? Do I allow alcohol to encourage me to speak unwisely? Am I willing to fight for what I believe? I honour, or dis-honour, my parents by the way I treat my siblings.

What did I praise God for? - my family unity.

What did I pray for? - that I will ensure the companions I choose please the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Abimelech's rise and fall.

Quote:-(Martin Luther) “the god of this world is riches, pleasure, and pride.

Frances
Jul 29th 2013, 04:00 PM
Judges 10

What did I learn of God? - His Anger is raised towards those who forsake Him and serve other gods, so He allows them to be harassed and oppressed.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I faithful to the Lord? Do I serve other gods? Do I acknowledge, and repent of, all sin? Will the Lord turn away from me because I have turned away from Him? Will I disregard all other gods and cleave only to the Lord in future? Have I given Him sufficient evidence of my faithfulness to Him.

What did I praise God for? - That He never changes. He still requires faithfulness from His people.

What did I pray for? - To overcome any temptation to serve other gods.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Tola, then Jair where Judges, then more oppression due to unfaithfulness.

Quote:- Ray Comfort)” forgetting what they had been delivered from, led Israel to forsake the One who had delivered them.”[/B][/FONT]

Frances
Jul 30th 2013, 03:52 PM
Judges 11

What did I learn of God? - He offers His people Wisdom to know how to answer those who fight against them (and Him), but doesn't always protect them from heartache.

What did I learn of myself? - My background, however unfortunate others may consider it to have been, may have prepared me to be greatly used by the Lord in the future. Do I always accept the Wisdom the Lord offers me? Lineage, wealth and social position are meaningless, it is faith in God that counts. The Lord may not protect me from personal distress, even though He gives victory over enemies. Am I as faithful to the Lord as Jephthah's daughter who gave up her desire for marriage and children to serve the Lord, because of her father's vow?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - To always use the Wisdom the Lord offers.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jephthah, and his daughter.

Quote:- (Theresa of Avilia) "We should not attach much value to what we have given God since we shall receive, for the little we have bestowed on Him, much more in this life and the next."

Frances
Jul 31st 2013, 02:58 PM
Judges 13

What did I learn of God? - When His people turn away from Him He allows them to be oppressed for a time. He makes preparation for those dedicated, and obedient to Him to lead His people to Victory. He chose Manoah and his wife to be parents of such a person - Samson.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I believe (trust) the Word of God? Do I keep all His conditions to enable me to receive His Blessings? Do I give what I am able to the Lord? Does the Spirit of God, or some other spirit, motivate me?

What did I praise God for? - His Provision for the Salvation of His people.

What did I pray for? - To be obedient to His Spirit.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Samson's conception and childhood.

Frances
Aug 1st 2013, 03:39 PM
Judges 14

What did I learn of God? - Does He encourage unwise decisions to bring about ultimate good? His Spirit gives His people Strength in body, mind or spirit according to His Will and their submission to Him. He is able to turn our weaknesses to His Purposes.

What did I learn of myself? - Is everything I do according to the Lord's Will?, or does He use the flaws in my character (which are due to my weaknesses, not to my parent's failures) to achieve His Purposes? Do I ensure personal covenants are with those faithful to me and to the Lord? If I try to gain by deception I must expect to be deceived myself.

What did I praise God for? - The Strength given by His Spirit to do His Will.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to use Strength the Lord gives to Glorify Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Samson married a Philistine.

Note:- As a Nazarite Samson should not have touched a dead body, yet he took honey from the, presumably decomposed, body of the lion he'd killed - a flaw in his character - yet Samson did not tell his parents, which suggests they feared God and would have been angry.

Frances
Aug 3rd 2013, 05:34 AM
Judges 15

What did I learn of God? - He acts in answer to prayer.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I submitted my life to Jesus Christ? Do my actions always Glorify Him? Am I filled with God's Spirit? If so, I have the Strength to fulfil His Will and Purpose for me? Do I?
What did I praise God for? - He enables me to defeat Evil.

What did I pray for? - To fulfil His Purposes for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Samson's wife was given to his 'best man', so Samson burnt Philistine crops, then killed 1,000 Philistines with a donkey's jawbone.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]
Judges 15

Frances
Aug 3rd 2013, 04:48 PM
Judges 16

What did I learn of God? - He leaves His people because of their un-Godly actions and allows them to suffer, including those who could have done great things in His Strength. Repentance encourages Him to grant a request, even when it is partly selfish and not soley for His Glory.

What did I learn of myself? - Does God regard me as immoral? if so, and I don't repent, He will leave me. Truth and being true to the Lord is the 'secret' of my Strength. Do I, wrongly, think I can trifle with God's affection for me? Do I betray those who love me? I must not allow desire and passion to control me. Does my selfishness prevent me being used by the Lord to Glorify Him?

What did I praise God for? - That He returns to those who repent.

What did I pray for? - To always remember Jesus is Truth, and Truth is the most important part of my Armour.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Samson and Delilah.

Quote (Bernard of Clairvaux) "Inordinate love of the flesh is cruelty, because under the appearance of pleasing the body we kill the soul."

Frances
Aug 4th 2013, 04:58 PM
Judges 17-18

What did I learn of God? - He allows those who formerly worshipped Him to ignore Him, worship other gods and bring shame on His Name. He is not worshipped using idols but by those faithful and obedient to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - I cannot please myself how to worship God. I start worshipping God by being obedient to Him; being born into a God-fearing family does not mean I am a Christian, however many ceremonies I have been involved in. Do I serve God or myself? Do I lead others to God or away from Him?

What did I praise God for? - For including the evil His people have done in His Word, as a warning to later generations.

What did I pray for? - To learn from other people's errors of judgment and pride.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Micah made an idol, the Danites stole it, killed the people of Laish and settled in their city.

Frances
Aug 5th 2013, 04:06 PM
Judges 19

What did I learn of God? - He gives victory to those who seek Him, but it may not be at once and disaster may come first.

What did I learn of myself? - Does my degree of morality please the Lord? Do I follow the Lord's Guidance? I must fight evil, even if it causes my death. Do I assume I am safe when disaster is about to strike? Do I look down on people I regard as 'un-Godly'? Do I treat other people as 'things'?

What do I praise God for - His Guidance and Help.

What did I pray for? - To consider the 'beam' in my own eye before being concerned about the ‘speck’ in someone else's.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Rape and murder of a Levite's concubine and the aftermath - demonstrating a total lack of morality and Godliness among God's people.

Quote:- (Antony Padua)" It is useless for a man to flaunt his knowledge of the law if he undermines it's teachings by his actions.

Frances
Aug 6th 2013, 04:39 PM
Judges 21
:25 "In those days there was no king in Israel everyone did what was right in his own eyes."

What did I learn of myself? - If I truly worship the Lord everyone in my town could benefit. Do I please myself or endeavour to please my Lord, Jesus Christ?

What did I praise God for? - His Word - His Instructions for healthy, happy living.

What did I pray for? - That my life will Glorify God.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Wives were provided for the Benjaminites.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Here we see Israel's tendency to bend rules. There is no suggestion in the text that the people appealed to God for Guidance. Instead they relied on the kind of sophistry which passed over intent to emphasize the letter of the Law. Just this kind of thing was later criticized by Jesus when He condemned many of the Pharisees(Mark 7:9-13)."

Atwood
Apr 28th 2014, 04:02 PM
The punch line is that in those days there was no king in Israel, everyman did what was right in his own eyes.

If you want to die laughing, read the translation of the New English Bible (Biblos or Biblegateway) of Judges 1 where Achsah, the daughter of Caleb is on a donkey. You will not believe the translation.

Atwood
Apr 28th 2014, 04:44 PM
Bend Rules?

How about completely ignore them and make up your own?