PDA

View Full Version : I am the door

Balabusha
Sep 27th 2013, 07:48 AM
The statement of Jesus in John chapter 10 is very multifaceted-Jesus calls Himself the Shepherd, and that statement goes into many prophesies in the Bible concerning Him, but Jesus does a quick switch in Chapter 10 to declare Himself as the "door" that the sheep will have to go thru in order to receive life.
1.Jesus is the door to eternal life
John 10:7-10
7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Exodus 12:22-23
Take a bunch of hyssop, dip it into the blood in the basin and put some of the blood on the top and on both sides of the doorframe. None of you shall go out of the door of your house until morning. 23 When the Lord goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the doorframe and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.
-On a side note, Jesus declares the false prophets that came before Him, come to kill and destroy-just like the death angel of the Exodus, but the main point is that Jesus is linking Himself to the passover Lamb, and the redemption of the Jews from slavery

3. A foreigner (non-circumcised male) was never to eat the passover lamb-they had to be in the Covenant to eat the Lamb, if you wanted to partake in Passover, you had to be circumcised into the Covenant
Exodus 12:43-48
43 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “This is the ordinance of the Passover: No foreigner shall eat it. 44 But every man’s servant who is bought for money, when you have circumcised him, then he may eat it. 45 A sojourner and a hired servant shall not eat it. 46In one house it shall be eaten; you shall not carry any of the flesh outside the house, nor shall you break one of its bones. 47 All the congregation of Israel shall keep it. 48 And when a stranger dwells with you and wants to keep the Passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as a native of the land. For no uncircumcised person shall eat it.
A. This is a prophetic gem..notice that no bones were to be broken, I have had Passover meal my whole life and the answer was under my nose-literally on my dinner plate
B.Anyone of any nationality could partake of the Passover if they observed the "sign" of the Covenant-circumcision. Israel was always about faith and not nationality.
C. Circumcision was the removal of the sinful flesh that veiled mankind, nobody that was unholy could partake in eating something Holy.
D.Adam tried to cover his sinful flesh from God, God re-clothed Adam and was kicked out of the Garden because He was not allowed to eat of the tree of life. The man being circumcised covered the females of his family.
Leviticus 22:10
10 “‘No one outside a priest’s family may eat the sacred offering, nor may the guest of a priest or his hired worker eat it.
-Nobody who was not Holy could eat the sacred offering in the Temple

4. Adam and his wife were barred from the entrance of Eden-which was death, forbidden to partake in the tree of life
A. The Israelites had to enter thru the blood soaked doorway in order to eat the Lamb of life. Outside of their homes was death.
B. Lets snap this into sharper focus: the Lamb was killed, its blood was spread around the doorway, the same lamb whose blood was shed to save them from death was eaten inside by the circumcised, while death claimed the first born of the Egyptians. God redeemed the Israelites in the Exodus

5. Jesus is the Lamb with Redemptive "teeth"
-The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
-In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Col%202:11-12&version=NIV#fen-NIV-29506a)] was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.
-in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
-He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.

6. The "destroyer" came and killed the firstborn of the Egyptians in order to free the faithful from slavery, Jesus is the firstborn of the dead to free us from the slavery of sinful flesh and death
Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
Revelations 1:5
and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,

7. The doorway soaked with blood and the eating of the Lamb of passover pointed to the Atonement of the Lamb of God
Exodus 12:8
That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast.
John 6:53-54
Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

8. Just like God looked for the blood on the doorpost to spare the Israelites, Jesus could have done all the miracles and teachings He wanted-without His blood there would be no redemption from death
-The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
-In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace

9. A person should see the context of the Passover was "urgent" and "get ready" because of the judgement coming against the Egyptians
11 "This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the Lord’s Passover. 12 “On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord"
A. A person should read the same urgency in the New Testament Jesus levied against the religious leaders that were in opposition to the Lamb of God, and the same coming of judgement..it spans the parables, the teachings and words of Jesus to them.

10. I hope that this was not to scrambled-the bible is so interconnected I did not know where to start, where to take a left turn or a right turn as this really is only a limited study,and i took a vague path of "the door" instead of "the Lamb" or "the shepherd"It is still very emotional to me and was hard to write at times.
God bless,

shepherdsword
Sep 28th 2013, 04:26 PM
I hope that this was not to scrambled-the bible is so interconnected I did not know where to start, where to take a left turn or a right turn as this really is only a limited study,and i took a vague path of "the door" instead of "the Lamb" or "the shepherd"It is still very emotional to me and was hard to write at times.
God bless,

It came out very good sister. Thank you. We hope to see more posts of yours like this :)

Grace Alone
Oct 24th 2013, 07:55 AM
One of my favourite verses, John 10:9. It also refers to the entrance of the outer court of the Tabernacle, or the sealed Eastern Gate in the walls of the Old City in Jerusalem.

http://awakenedanew.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tabernacle.jpg

http://www.bibleistrue.com/qna/mtolives7.jpg

mailmandan
Oct 24th 2013, 12:02 PM
Yes! Jesus is "THE" Door to eternal life and is not simply a door among many other doors. Jesus clearly said, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life. No one comes to the Father except through Me (John 14:6). Praise God!

7. The doorway soaked with blood and the eating of the Lamb of passover pointed to the Atonement of the Lamb of God
That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast.
Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

I love how so many passages of Scripture in the Old Testament point to Jesus. The Jews clearly understood that the source of life was blood -- "life is in the blood" (Leviticus 17:11). As with the bread, just as blood is the empowering or source of life physically, Jesus is the source of spiritual life necessary. Bread represents the "staff of life." Sustenance. That which is essential to sustain life. Just as bread or sustenance is necessary to maintain physical life, Jesus is the sustenance necessary for spiritual life.

Very nice post Karaite! Keep up the good work! :)

Rabbi Tikvah
Jan 5th 2014, 03:34 PM
The statement of Jesus in John chapter 10 is very multifaceted-Jesus calls Himself the Shepherd, and that statement goes into many prophesies in the Bible concerning Him, but Jesus does a quick switch in Chapter 10 to declare Himself as the "door" that the sheep will have to go thru in order to receive life.
1.Jesus is the door to eternal life
John 10:7-10
7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Exodus 12:22-23
Take a bunch of hyssop, dip it into the blood in the basin and put some of the blood on the top and on both sides of the doorframe. None of you shall go out of the door of your house until morning. 23 When the Lord goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the doorframe and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.
-On a side note, Jesus declares the false prophets that came before Him, come to kill and destroy-just like the death angel of the Exodus, but the main point is that Jesus is linking Himself to the passover Lamb, and the redemption of the Jews from slavery

3. A foreigner (non-circumcised male) was never to eat the passover lamb-they had to be in the Covenant to eat the Lamb, if you wanted to partake in Passover, you had to be circumcised into the Covenant
Exodus 12:43-48
43 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “This is the ordinance of the Passover: No foreigner shall eat it. 44 But every man’s servant who is bought for money, when you have circumcised him, then he may eat it. 45 A sojourner and a hired servant shall not eat it. 46In one house it shall be eaten; you shall not carry any of the flesh outside the house, nor shall you break one of its bones. 47 All the congregation of Israel shall keep it. 48 And when a stranger dwells with you and wants to keep the Passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as a native of the land. For no uncircumcised person shall eat it.
A. This is a prophetic gem..notice that no bones were to be broken, I have had Passover meal my whole life and the answer was under my nose-literally on my dinner plate
B.Anyone of any nationality could partake of the Passover if they observed the "sign" of the Covenant-circumcision. Israel was always about faith and not nationality.
C. Circumcision was the removal of the sinful flesh that veiled mankind, nobody that was unholy could partake in eating something Holy.
D.Adam tried to cover his sinful flesh from God, God re-clothed Adam and was kicked out of the Garden because He was not allowed to eat of the tree of life. The man being circumcised covered the females of his family.
Leviticus 22:10
10 “‘No one outside a priest’s family may eat the sacred offering, nor may the guest of a priest or his hired worker eat it.
-Nobody who was not Holy could eat the sacred offering in the Temple

4. Adam and his wife were barred from the entrance of Eden-which was death, forbidden to partake in the tree of life
A. The Israelites had to enter thru the blood soaked doorway in order to eat the Lamb of life. Outside of their homes was death.
B. Lets snap this into sharper focus: the Lamb was killed, its blood was spread around the doorway, the same lamb whose blood was shed to save them from death was eaten inside by the circumcised, while death claimed the first born of the Egyptians. God redeemed the Israelites in the Exodus

5. Jesus is the Lamb with Redemptive "teeth"
-The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
-In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Col%202:11-12&version=NIV#fen-NIV-29506a)] was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.
-in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
-He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.

6. The "destroyer" came and killed the firstborn of the Egyptians in order to free the faithful from slavery, Jesus is the firstborn of the dead to free us from the slavery of sinful flesh and death
Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
Revelations 1:5
and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,

8. Just like God looked for the blood on the doorpost to spare the Israelites, Jesus could have done all the miracles and teachings He wanted-without His blood there would be no redemption from death
-The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
-In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace

9. A person should see the context of the Passover was "urgent" and "get ready" because of the judgement coming against the Egyptians
11 "This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the Lord’s Passover. 12 “On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord"
A. A person should read the same urgency in the New Testament Jesus levied against the religious leaders that were in opposition to the Lamb of God, and the same coming of judgement..it spans the parables, the teachings and words of Jesus to them.

10. I hope that this was not to scrambled-the bible is so interconnected I did not know where to start, where to take a left turn or a right turn as this really is only a limited study,and i took a vague path of "the door" instead of "the Lamb" or "the shepherd"It is still very emotional to me and was hard to write at times.
God bless,

Thank you, Karaite, for your insight. I am curious though, you mentioned "God re-clothed Adam and was kicked out of the Garden because He was not allowed to eat of the tree of life." Are you saying that the "tree of life" and the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" are the same tree? Just curious.

Balabusha
Jan 6th 2014, 06:42 AM
Thank you, Karaite, for your insight. I am curious though, you mentioned "God re-clothed Adam and was kicked out of the Garden because He was not allowed to eat of the tree of life." Are you saying that the "tree of life" and the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" are the same tree? Just curious.
I dont think the tree of life or the tree of good and evil are the same tree. I dont see where I made that point, but if I did somehow write it to sound that way let me know and hopefully the moderator will let me make the necessary changes

Rabbi Tikvah
Jan 6th 2014, 12:08 PM
I dont think the tree of life or the tree of good and evil are the same tree. I dont see where I made that point, but if I did somehow write it to sound that way let me know and hopefully the moderator will let me make the necessary changes

What I mean to say is that in your reference you used the tree of life as the tree that was the reason they were expelled from the Garden of Eden. While the account of both trees were written of in Genesis:

Genesis 2:9
Out of the ground the Lord God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

I believe it was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that they were forbidden to eat from:

Genesis 2:17
but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Just trying to help.

Blessings. :D

Balabusha
Jan 6th 2014, 08:08 PM
Hi
Sin entered in thru disobedience to God, they were separated from God by sin, if they were to be allowed to have eternal life in sinful flesh, then they would be eternally separated from God.