PDA

View Full Version : Marriage - Fine Print Edition!

Aviyah
Sep 29th 2013, 09:49 PM
This may be the fourth (fifth?) thread I have made centered around Genesis 2, but I consistently get lead back here. I almost know it by heart now http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. Anyway, I just discovered something which may be notable! Please read carefully the following verses (18-25):

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Now out of the ground the Lord God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name. The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Okay pretty straightforward, but I have a question (actually, a lot of them).

When were Adam and Eve married? There is no marriage mentioned here - it is simply understood that Eve is Adam's wife immediately upon her creation. Unlike any other marriage in the Bible that I am aware of, there is no verse/sentence with an action such as "Adam took Eve as a wife" or "Adam married Eve" or even "Eve became his wife." In fact, the act of marrying isn't even applied to us in verse 24. It says, "A man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife" not "A man shall leave his father and his mother and marry a woman."

I think it is striking to realize that this is the only instance of marriage in the Bible as it was intended to be. Every marriage after this has been carried out in a fallen world. Isn't it interesting that the first time "marriage" is mentioned, it isn't actually mentioned?We have to insert the idea into the text. I am now wondering if the concept of two individuals at one point not being married, then undergoing a ceremony in which they become married, was even ever intended!

This whole issue rang some major bells in my head with this saying of Jesus:

For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. (Mt. 22:30)

Is it possible that this model matches that of Genesis before the Fall? Christ used immortality to explain why people no longer marry, yet Adam and Eve were immortal before they sinned. Are we to understand that the reason we do not marry in eternity is because there will never be a time when we will be without a counterpart? Is the act of marrying done away with because this was never part of the plan?

Don't misunderstand me though - I believe that marrying is 100% okay; but perhaps the Holy Spirit has constructed this chapter of Genesis in such a way that deeper meanings can be revealed?

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter. (Pv. 25:2)

my1cutie
Sep 29th 2013, 09:56 PM
Good questions! What jumps out at me from what you wrote is that God created Eve to be Adam's other half, his wife. In this same way, I believe that when we have a marriage that is in God's will that God has created the people in the marriage for each other. He has prepared them as individuals and then has provided them to each other so that as one united flesh they can continue to grow closer to him. I think that may be one aspect of the model that is shown in Genesis 2.

Aviyah
Sep 29th 2013, 10:06 PM
Good questions! What jumps out at me from what you wrote is that God created Eve to be Adam's other half, his wife. In this same way, I believe that when we have a marriage that is in God's will that God has created the people in the marriage for each other. He has prepared them as individuals and then has provided them to each other so that as one united flesh they can continue to grow closer to him. I think that may be one aspect of the model that is shown in Genesis 2.

True :D God could have easily just created another human from the dust, but where's the symbolism in that! I think the fact that Eve was literally a part of Adam has profound implications.

Balabusha
Sep 29th 2013, 10:14 PM
I don't think that there needs to be a marriage vow, as in an unfallen state there would be no reason to make a vow-Eve was perfectly made for Adam, in harmony with the Spirit and the world
Have you ever cleaned up baby puke all over yourself and then found out your hubby did not flush and plugged the toilet in the same instance, all the while the toddler is unreeling the toilet paper and baby is crying-then hubby comes home from work and has a frantic distraught wife-now the vow becomes reality that it is necessary in a fallen world. LOL !! Its all good!
As with the leaving his father and mother part-it is talking about marriage.Just because it does not state marriage does not mean that the union of the sexes is not applied-this is built into us and spans culture-even with secular humanists,athiests, Buddhists or hindhus this is true-it might not be a christian marriage-because God's words spans the humanity He made.

luigi
Oct 1st 2013, 03:55 PM
Technically, marriage is the joining of two people.
Pretty strait forward; no ceremony needed.
When the bible depicts people in the last days taking and giving in marriage as in the days of Noah; to me this simply means these people are having orgies.

percho
Oct 5th 2013, 01:51 AM
And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: Luke 1:26-32

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. Matt 1:24,25

Was Eve the wife of Adam or was she espoused to Adam? Dead in trespasses and sins.

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. Genesis 3:1,6

And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. Gen 3:7 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? V11

Curtis
Oct 5th 2013, 02:23 AM
A few months ago I was thinking, and looking at my Bible. It says on the cover, "The Holy Bible". Well that's cool but what exactly is the story in the Bible. Is it the story about God who creates man, and then this mans falls. Then God restores man back. Is that it? Is that the whole story? There has got to be more to it than that. I felt like I was missing something very special. I know God created man in His own image, and after his own likeness. So, God is not like us, we are like him. If I grieve God grieves, If I rejoice God rejoices. We have similar senses that are alike. Then I thought, the only thing God said that was not good was, "it was not good that man should be alone" So, God created a help meet for Adam. I really believe that the Bible is not the story about man, but it is the story about God. If it was not good that man be alone then it is not good that God to be alone! Man was created for God. He had already created the Angels, but they were not created in the image of God, so true fellowship is not possible. He needed someone like himself to be able to share his thoughts and feelings with. There were no animals that could help Adam, it had to be someone just like him. I guess that is why we are called the Bride of Christ.
My conclusion is the Bible is about God!!! In the beginning God......

Francis Drake
Oct 5th 2013, 04:57 PM
Has anyone noticed that unlike with Adam, when He created her from Adam's rib, God didn't breathe into Eve.

To me this indicates that not only was Adam's body divided, but Adam's human spirit was divided in two. That makes it even clearer that Adam and Eve constituted a single person when they were together.

When the Holy Spirit led me to my wife, I knew that I was now a complete person. Prior to that I felt that something was missing. I am not merely talking about having a bed partner, or someone to cook and clean for me, but someone who completed my spirit.
Together my wife and I have an amazing spiritual union that I have never experienced with anyone else.

Curtis
Oct 12th 2013, 01:09 AM
This may be the fourth (fifth?) thread I have made centered around Genesis 2, but I consistently get lead back here. I almost know it by heart now http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. Anyway, I just discovered something which may be notable! Please read carefully the following verses (18-25):

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Now out of the ground the Lord God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name. The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Okay pretty straightforward, but I have a question (actually, a lot of them).

When were Adam and Eve married? There is no marriage mentioned here - it is simply understood that Eve is Adam's wife immediately upon her creation. Unlike any other marriage in the Bible that I am aware of, there is no verse/sentence with an action such as "Adam took Eve as a wife" or "Adam married Eve" or even "Eve became his wife." In fact, the act of marrying isn't even applied to us in verse 24. It says, "A man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife" not "A man shall leave his father and his mother and marry a woman."

I think it is striking to realize that this is the only instance of marriage in the Bible as it was intended to be. Every marriage after this has been carried out in a fallen world. Isn't it interesting that the first time "marriage" is mentioned, it isn't actually mentioned?We have to insert the idea into the text. I am now wondering if the concept of two individuals at one point not being married, then undergoing a ceremony in which they become married, was even ever intended!

This whole issue rang some major bells in my head with this saying of Jesus:

For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. (Mt. 22:30)

Is it possible that this model matches that of Genesis before the Fall? Christ used immortality to explain why people no longer marry, yet Adam and Eve were immortal before they sinned. Are we to understand that the reason we do not marry in eternity is because there will never be a time when we will be without a counterpart? Is the act of marrying done away with because this was never part of the plan?

Don't misunderstand me though - I believe that marrying is 100% okay; but perhaps the Holy Spirit has constructed this chapter of Genesis in such a way that deeper meanings can be revealed?

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter. (Pv. 25:2)

Well, we the Church are the bride of Christ, so there will be the biggest marriage ceremony in history on that day. The marriage supper of the Lamb. There God's original plan of never will there be a divorce from his bride will be in effect. We are actually already legally married to Christ. We have the Holy Spirit as our wedding ring from the Lord. We are just awaiting the ceremony.

Aviyah
Oct 12th 2013, 01:12 AM
To me this indicates that not only was Adam's body divided, but Adam's human spirit was divided in two. That makes it even clearer that Adam and Eve constituted a single person when they were together.

Wow, never noticed that but it makes so much sense!

Aviyah
Oct 12th 2013, 01:15 AM
If it was not good that man be alone then it is not good that God to be alone!

But doesn't this mean God was at one point imperfect?

Curtis
Oct 12th 2013, 01:27 AM
But doesn't this mean God was at one point imperfect?

Not at all. We are like God. If we feel alone at times than that must mean God can and does feel alone at times. I believe this is the whole point of the Bible. It's the story about God and how he created the recipient of his love, and companion for all eternity.

faithbuilders
Oct 12th 2013, 03:33 AM
The way marriage was done in the O.T. was nothing like we do it today. Man finds woman (or God brings woman to man) They are blessed by the mans father, then consummate there marriage, often in the mans mothers tent. God was the father of Adam and Eve -- and He blessed them. It was very important that my dad bless my wife and I at our wedding, as we followed the scripture. I have been married 15 ½ years, and it feels like yesterday ;)

percho
Oct 12th 2013, 04:13 AM

I believe it was the spirit part of him that was taken from him. The help meet or as in the NT the paraklētos the comforter could be given back to man only if Christ went away in death and was risen again to life receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father, the renewal of the Holy Spirit. It then could be shed on us.

I believe it was the spirit part of him that was taken from him. The help meet or as in the NT the paraklētos the comforter could be given back to man only if Christ went away in death and was risen again to life receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father, the renewal of the Holy Spirit. It then could be shed on us.