PDA

View Full Version : Hearing God's Voice, and, obeying

Oregongrown
Oct 5th 2013, 08:16 PM
Today I was out doing my walk, listening to my christians tunes through my little ear-buds. I started praying for God to use me, send me, surely I am able to do something today, this very day, to serve Him through serving people. I then apologized for calling Him "surely":lol: Ok you guys, I know God has a sense of humor because He made me:rofl:Anyway, all joking aside, I saw a truck pull over into a "scenic" area of our Umpqua River. A woman and a little boy got out and I noticed they carried a chair. I didn't think much except "bet they are going to look at the riv", it's a beautiful day for that. As I kept up my pace for "my" need of exercise, God spoke, He told me I was to go back and talk to the lady and see if she would like to pray, or maybe just needed to talk. I tried to get out of it and kept walking. I said things to God like, surely you don't want me to go barge in on her privacy, surely you know I am too nervous and won't know what to say, surely she will tell me to get lost.

Then I remember Moses, and God told him what He was to do, God also let him know not to worry bout what he said, God would do the talking:
Exodus 4
10 Then Moses said to the Lord, ďO my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.Ē
11 So the Lord said to him, ďWho has made manís mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? 12 Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.Ē

I came up with a few more excuses, but I turned off my walk-man, did a total pivot and began walking back, as I got close to the area, I heard her pickup start. I kept walking though, I knew that I may miss out on obeying God, but He knew I was not giving up. She was at the entrance to the highway and I looked to see if traffic would let up to let her out before I got there. It didn't so I walked around back of the truck, as I didn't want to force her to have to stay, it had to be God. I walked up to her door and smiled, and she rolled her window down. I said that I had to be honest and that I believe in the God of the bible, and He told me to come and see if you wanted to pray, or needed someone to talk to. She smiled really big and took my hand, and said she was fine but she was really moved by me saying hello. We got a few minutes to talk, but she ended up being someone who wanted to help me get into Mercy Hospital(for a job, not her smackin me in the nose for talking to her about Jesus,:D). Geesh, I thought I was to help her Lord:) Well, it's up to God, maybe a seed was planted.

Her little boy was about 8 and very attentive to what I said about Jesus etc. I don't know what I said, LOL! I just said He had given me such comfort and peace, and I was supposed to share that with others.

Ok, that's it, but it was scarey, but yet I smiled ALL the way home and praised Him, thanked Him for showing me an answer to prayer.

I would love to hear how God shows others, talks to them and tells them what to do. Does it get easier to obey right away instead of waiting like I did? I know I have missed numerous opportunities, I don't want to miss them, most of all, I don't want to disobey His Leading12018:pp ysic, denise

Francis Drake
Oct 5th 2013, 09:11 PM
Today I was out doing my walk, listening to my christians tunes through my little ear-buds. I started praying for God to use me, send me, surely I am able to do something today, this very day, to serve Him through serving people. I then apologized for calling Him "surely":lol: Ok you guys, I know God has a sense of humor because He made me:rofl:Anyway, all joking aside, I saw a truck pull over into a "scenic" area of our Umpqua River. A woman and a little boy got out and I noticed they carried a chair. I didn't think much except "bet they are going to look at the riv", it's a beautiful day for that. As I kept up my pace for "my" need of exercise, God spoke, He told me I was to go back and talk to the lady and see if she would like to pray, or maybe just needed to talk. I tried to get out of it and kept walking. I said things to God like, surely you don't want me to go barge in on her privacy, surely you know I am too nervous and won't know what to say, surely she will tell me to get lost.

Then I remember Moses, and God told him what He was to do, God also let him know not to worry bout what he said, God would do the talking:
Exodus 4
10 Then Moses said to the Lord, “O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.”
11 So the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? 12 Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.”

I came up with a few more excuses, but I turned off my walk-man, did a total pivot and began walking back, as I got close to the area, I heard her pickup start. I kept walking though, I knew that I may miss out on obeying God, but He knew I was not giving up. She was at the entrance to the highway and I looked to see if traffic would let up to let her out before I got there. It didn't so I walked around back of the truck, as I didn't want to force her to have to stay, it had to be God. I walked up to her door and smiled, and she rolled her window down. I said that I had to be honest and that I believe in the God of the bible, and He told me to come and see if you wanted to pray, or needed someone to talk to. She smiled really big and took my hand, and said she was fine but she was really moved by me saying hello. We got a few minutes to talk, but she ended up being someone who wanted to help me get into Mercy Hospital(for a job, not her smackin me in the nose for talking to her about Jesus,:D). Geesh, I thought I was to help her Lord:) Well, it's up to God, maybe a seed was planted.

Her little boy was about 8 and very attentive to what I said about Jesus etc. I don't know what I said, LOL! I just said He had given me such comfort and peace, and I was supposed to share that with others.

Ok, that's it, but it was scarey, but yet I smiled ALL the way home and praised Him, thanked Him for showing me an answer to prayer.

I would love to hear how God shows others, talks to them and tells them what to do. Does it get easier to obey right away instead of waiting like I did? I know I have missed numerous opportunities, I don't want to miss them, most of all, I don't want to disobey His Leading12018:pp ysic, denise

Whenever someone does a post like this, it often generatesa load of cynical responses. One I remember came something like, "if I heard voices in my head, I'd go see a shrink." That from a Christian as well!
The problem is that many christians insist that either God finished talking to his kids when the bible got written down, or they will only allow God to repeat what is already written in the bible. You will find the latter constantly thrown at you when you talk about hearing God. "Have you checked it with the bible?" The truth is that many times God has spoken to me about things I would never ever find in the bible!

When you become "born again" you are born again in your spirit. Your flesh is pretty much the same as it was the day before. Your flesh man is no use for walking in the spirit, so it is now that you should start functioning from the basis of your spirit rather than your physical. Unfortunately, true spiritual life is alien to most people, and continues to be alien even when they get born again. Christianity is all too often approached as a schoolroom exercise, thinking we need to get correct facts down our throats. However, if we have been born from above by the spirit of God, then how about letting God be a Father to us. Lets start listening to what he says, rather than just listening to a surrogate who stands at the front every sunday! So yes, as a spiritual child we can learn to hear the voice of God, just like a physical child learns to understand its parent's words as it grows up.
Like a physical child, we sometimes struggle to comprehend what those words mean. We all have to learn and that includes sorting error from truth. There is no short cut other than practice and obedience. We will get things wrong just like a child does.

We are children, and He is our Father. Lets walk with him and learn to hear his voice. We all need to swallow our pride and learn to be children as we walk hand in hand with our creator, daddy God!

That is how I have been learning for the last forty years. I still get it wrong sometimes, but it has been the most amazing adventure of my life, and far better than church has ever been.

Exodus 4
10 Then Moses said to the Lord, ďO my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.Ē
11 So the Lord said to him, ďWho has made manís mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? 12 Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.Ē

Whenever someone does a post like this, it often generatesa load of cynical responses. One I remember came something like, "if I heard voices in my head, I'd go see a shrink." That from a Christian as well!
The problem is that many christians insist that either God finished talking to his kids when the bible got written down, or they will only allow God to repeat what is already written in the bible. You will find the latter constantly thrown at you when you talk about hearing God. "Have you checked it with the bible?" The truth is that many times God has spoken to me about things I would never ever find in the bible!

When you become "born again" you are born again in your spirit. Your flesh is pretty much the same as it was the day before. Your flesh man is no use for walking in the spirit, so it is now that you should start functioning from the basis of your spirit rather than your physical. Unfortunately, true spiritual life is alien to most people, and continues to be alien even when they get born again. Christianity is all too often approached as a schoolroom exercise, thinking we need to get correct facts down our throats. However, if we have been born from above by the spirit of God, then how about letting God be a Father to us. Lets start listening to what he says, rather than just listening to a surrogate who stands at the front every sunday! So yes, as a spiritual child we can learn to hear the voice of God, just like a physical child learns to understand its parent's words as it grows up.
Like a physical child, we sometimes struggle to comprehend what those words mean. We all have to learn and that includes sorting error from truth. There is no short cut other than practice and obedience. We will get things wrong just like a child does.

We are children, and He is our Father. Lets walk with him and learn to hear his voice. We all need to swallow our pride and learn to be children as we walk hand in hand with our creator, daddy God!

That is how I have been learning for the last forty years. I still get it wrong sometimes, but it has been the most amazing adventure of my life, and far better than church has ever been.

Oregongrown
Oct 5th 2013, 09:53 PM

Thank you for the reply, no worries here, God talks to me, not audibly, but I know when I am being led. I can only speak for my own experience, and I have never heard God's voice audibly, as I hear a persons voice on the phone or in person:)

What God tells me to do is in the bible, maybe not in the exact words of the verse, but the more I read His Word, the more I hear His voice, make sense;) God bless you FD, ysic, denise

BCV
Oct 6th 2013, 11:14 AM
Maybe somebody can advise me on how to hear Godís words. I am reading the bible, but still do not get answers. I do not hear his voice when I need him most. I stand on his promises that he will never let us down, that we must trust Him, that he is never late etc. Then when I read testimonies like this, I canít help wondering what is wrong with me. God created me, he know that I do not understand, like mentioned above we are like children, and yes we do make mistakes but the parent know that and see the child struggle with crawling / walking.

Curtis
Oct 6th 2013, 12:37 PM
Maybe somebody can advise me on how to hear Godís words. I am reading the bible, but still do not get answers. I do not hear his voice when I need him most. I stand on his promises that he will never let us down, that we must trust Him, that he is never late etc. Then when I read testimonies like this, I canít help wondering what is wrong with me. God created me, he know that I do not understand, like mentioned above we are like children, and yes we do make mistakes but the parent know that and see the child struggle with crawling / walking.

Hi BCV, Hearing the voice of God takes discernment, it is something that's time to recognize. You have heard him before as the scriptures....

Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

You have already heard him or you would not have come to him. It takes time, and spiritual growth to get there. You are probably already hearing him speak unto you, but you are not discerning the method, and or how this is done. He speaks directly to your heart (spirit). It will not be a audible voice, but a inward voice. Remember it is with your spirit that you come in contact with the spiritual world, and it is with your physical body in come in contact with the physical world. The senses of your spirit are very similar to your physical senses. Try to discern the difference between the two. Be conscience of the spiritual world around you. You will be able to tell there difference. Pray and ask God for the spirit of wisdom, and revelation in the knowledge of him. Ask him to enlighten the eyes of your heart so you can see the hope of his calling. If you do this you will never be the same.

ChangedByHim
Oct 6th 2013, 12:42 PM
You will find the latter constantly thrown at you when you talk about hearing God. "Have you checked it with the bible?" The truth is that many times God has spoken to me about things I would never ever find in the bible!

I think that the meaning of some who say that is, is what you heard in harmony with the Word? Or does it conflict?

I see nothing wrong with that. The Holy Spirit won't contradict Himself.

Curtis
Oct 6th 2013, 01:03 PM
Following the Lord is fun, yes, sometimes it seems scary at times. Not that it is fearful but suspenseful. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of a Holy God."
I was working in down town LA Calif several years ago. Working as a electrician on a high rise building. There were about 15 guys on our crew. One of them was a guy who looked like he was homeless. His hair was always messed up. He reminded of the professor on "back to the future" This guy had the most foul mouth I had ever heard. Every other word was a cuss word, and he was mean to. No body wanted to work with him. My boss made me work with him, he knew I was very easy going and would work with anybody. Just as soon as we got all our material together we headed to our work location and the Lord said to me, "this guy is a preacher" I thought, no way, nobody who is a preacher talks like this. I guess he was really walking in the flesh. At lunch time we were sitting and looking out the window on 6th floor of this building, there was a funeral going on. So I asked this guy if he knew what happens when someone dies? He said to me, "Curtis, did you know I use to be a preacher........." Of course I knew that already, but I was still shocked to hear that. I was able to minister the Word back to him, and encourage him to return to God. As the Bible says....

Pro 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Psa 18:28 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.

Sometimes we need to relight other brothers and sisters candles....

Francis Drake
Oct 6th 2013, 02:33 PM
I think that the meaning of some who say that is, is what you heard in harmony with the Word? Or does it conflict?

Some who demand "have you checked the bible", might well be meaning what you say. However having participated in many forum discussions on this subject I find the opposite to be generally true.

If they were truly concerned, they would also apply the same plumbline to all conversation or thoughts that are exchanged amongst Christians, not just those who have heard God's whisper.
I honestly believe that hearing God speak today is such a problem to many spiritually deaf christians that they are obligated to oppose it with that typical kneejerk response, "is it in the bible"?
That comment is simply intended to remove any legitimacy from what has been said. The comment is also frequently reinforced by the statement that God will only speak about things we can already find in the scriptures, again closing the door to God showing any general interest in his children beyond doctrinal stuff.

As I stated above, many words God has spoken to me about are so far from scriptural relevance that searching the bible would be silly. Most of them are not doctrinal issues. If I heard something doctrinal, and did not already understand the scriptural basis, then of course I would pray and seek confirmation.

Just some additional thoughts.-
I did not check the bible when I heard his urgent voice three times rapidly telling me "pull back.....pull back.....pull back" when I was traveling at speed down a country road. I know his voice, and immediately took my foot off and covered the brake. That immediate response saved our lives in the crash that followed ten seconds later!

I didn't check when God gave me a dream that solved a heating job that had foiled the experts repeatedly for weeks.

I didn't check when God gave me the vision of an new engineering component that totally transformed a piece of failing machinery.

I didn't check when, after desperately seeking God during a crisis, He told me to go to Guxxxxxxrd a city about 2 hours away. Interestingly, the urgency of that answer was confirmed the next morning when one of my production staff, also a seer, came up to me and said, "I have a word for you, God says go to Guxxxxxrd!" Needless to say, I went there and got the answer I was crying out for!

I didn't check the bible when God led me to my wife.

I didn't check the bible when I was standing in the middle of a factory looking at some machinery I didn't understand, and seeking confirmation whether we were supposed to buy it. As I asked for wisdom, I felt the breath of the Holy Spirit down my shirt collar and heard these words, "you are standing in the way of MY business again!" I nearly jumped out of my skin. I got my cheque book out double fast!

In Acts9v10 to 17. Ananias did not check scripture when God told him to go and lay hands on that enemy of God, Saul of Tarsus.

In Acts10v11 Peter receives an open vision which completely opposed everything he had ever been taught from scripture! God in that same ongoing vision rebukes Peter's resistance, and sends him on his way. If Peter had stuck rigidly to his doctrine as many insist, the Gentiles might never have received the gospel. This is again reinforced at the inquest over what Peter had done in Acts11.

There are very few instances in the bible where people checked the scriptures to confirm things. The favourite example is of course the Bereans in Acts17v10. However it should be noted that the Bereans were not checking out some dream or vision or word. They were checking to confirm the recent historical facts about Christ Jesus, that the Thessalonicans had rejected in verse1!

Do not for one moment thing I am downplaying the importance of scripture. The opposite is true. However, to presume or expect that God only directly speaks to us of things connected with scripture or doctrine illustrates a very narrow understanding of what God might be interested in. I have had massively more experience of God in my private and business life, than I have ever seen happen in church.
God is not just concerned about our scriptural orthodoxy!

Protective Angel
Oct 6th 2013, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the reply, no worries here, God talks to me, not audibly, but I know when I am being led. I can only speak for my own experience, and I have never heard God's voice audibly, as I hear a persons voice on the phone or in person:)

What God tells me to do is in the bible, maybe not in the exact words of the verse, but the more I read His Word, the more I hear His voice, make sense;) God bless you FD, ysic, denise

Praise God :pp

God bless you Denise :hug: You are "tuned in" to Holy Spirit channel. Don't change that dial. He has more for you. :pp......

Oregongrown
Oct 6th 2013, 03:10 PM
Hi BCV, you know I thought about new folks reading the bible, and thought maybe my post was "out there", hard to understand. I apologize.

I am new to reading the Word too, by myself, not just picking a little up here and there in a bible study. I got really persistent, I couldn't make much of the bible at first, about a month ago. I started in the OT, in Joshua, I don't know why but I started there. I started using a commentary for hard parts, I use one at studylight.org, others will have more ideas for you as well. I read the Word first, and I don't worry too much if it's just a little hard, like I kind of understand. I know God will reveal things to me as I go. I don't believe the bible is something we are to read through just once. I think it is like a "Tool" that we will continue to read, over and over. I've heard people say God reveals something new to them every time they read, no matter how many years they have been reading it:) :pp

You can always come here and get people to help with a passage that is confusing, or a concept God is showing you. I had to come to an understanding of blood sacrifice, I didn't like that at all, I love animals so much. But, when I got a grasp on "why" God used that, it changed everything for me.

Anyway, just stick around, we can work together on it, ALL of us here;) your sister in Christ, denise

Oregongrown
Oct 6th 2013, 03:18 PM
Praise God :pp

God bless you Denise :hug: You are "tuned in" to Holy Spirit channel. Don't change that dial. He has more for you. :pp......

I am going for my orientation today, to get a job after only 1 week of searching is straight from the Lord. I know it will be hard, I have never done caregiving, but if God opens the door, He will take me the rest of the way as well:) :hug: denise, ysic

psyche643
Oct 6th 2013, 03:19 PM
Maybe somebody can advise me on how to hear God’s words. I am reading the bible, but still do not get answers.

What are you trying to get answers to? Sometimes God is silent - not because it's a guessing game, but because his Word has given us the answer already. Sometimes he is silent because he is not ready to give you that answer yet.

I do not hear his voice when I need him most.

This is so often the case! I don't always "hear his voice" either. Again, there are a lot of reasons God can be silent. If there is unconfessed sin in my life, God is usually pretty quiet with me.

What are you expecting to hear? There are a lot of ways God can speak to us:

-Through his people, when they speak godly truth and love to us
-Through the Bible
-Through the Spirit (this is probably what you are referring to.)

I stand on his promises that he will never let us down, that we must trust Him, that he is never late etc. Then when I read testimonies like this, I can’t help wondering what is wrong with me. God created me, he know that I do not understand, like mentioned above we are like children, and yes we do make mistakes but the parent know that and see the child struggle with crawling / walking.

God does see you struggle. But think about how you are expecting God to react. Are you expecting him to pick you up? If you saw a child struggle to crawl, would you pick him up immediately, or would you let him try to figure it out while making sure he was safe?

Maybe somebody can advise me on how to hear Godís words. I am reading the bible, but still do not get answers.

What are you trying to get answers to? Sometimes God is silent - not because it's a guessing game, but because his Word has given us the answer already. Sometimes he is silent because he is not ready to give you that answer yet.

I do not hear his voice when I need him most.

This is so often the case! I don't always "hear his voice" either. Again, there are a lot of reasons God can be silent. If there is unconfessed sin in my life, God is usually pretty quiet with me.

What are you expecting to hear? There are a lot of ways God can speak to us:

-Through his people, when they speak godly truth and love to us
-Through the Bible
-Through the Spirit (this is probably what you are referring to.)

I stand on his promises that he will never let us down, that we must trust Him, that he is never late etc. Then when I read testimonies like this, I canít help wondering what is wrong with me. God created me, he know that I do not understand, like mentioned above we are like children, and yes we do make mistakes but the parent know that and see the child struggle with crawling / walking.

God does see you struggle. But think about how you are expecting God to react. Are you expecting him to pick you up? If you saw a child struggle to crawl, would you pick him up immediately, or would you let him try to figure it out while making sure he was safe?

Oregongrown
Oct 6th 2013, 03:20 PM

Yes, I agree as well. If I hear something that sounds a bit off, I usually know, but to be sure, I can look in God's Word. I am keeping it with me too, don't leave home without it;) God bless, denise, ysic

imreedemed
Oct 7th 2013, 03:25 AM
Yes, I agree as well. If I hear something that sounds a bit off, I usually know, but to be sure, I can look in God's Word. I am keeping it with me too, don't leave home without it;) God bless, denise, ysic

I loved reading your testimony sister Denise. You told the Lord you are available and He used you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJznj1a8I1w

God bless