PDA

View Full Version : Needs

Aviyah
Oct 6th 2013, 05:51 AM
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)

What do we need? According to Abraham Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs," all humans have these requirements (this is not intended to be 100% absolute):

Priority I: Physiological
• Air
• Nourishment
• Sleep
• Sex*

Priority II: Safety/Security
• Health
• Shelter
• Resources
• Employment*

Priority III: Social
• Friendship
• Family
• Intimacy
• Sense of Belonging*

Priority IV: Esteem
• Confidence
• Self-respect
• Sense of Achievement
• Happiness*

Priority V: Actualization
• Productivity
• Success
• Acceptance
• Creativity*

Which of these, if any, does God consider a "need." In order for the promise in Philippians to be useful, we have to know what is actually being promised. Our needs range from universal to individual in this hierarchy. Does God promise food and water? A place to live? Friends and spouses? Confidence? Actual success? None of these?

sooninzion
Oct 6th 2013, 07:02 AM
As I understand

The Kingdom of God is a 'need-less environment' where the cravings of sinful men are obliterated. While you live eternal life; people would not endlesslessly crave for 'better things' there. How is it made possible by God... The Lord provides a permanent change of heart by which man will live content with all that is provided and will feel joyful always. If at all anything that you can name as a 'need' it will be met even before you contemplated 'How?'.

Remember there are no hospitals, no five star resorts, no exotic restaurants, no public schools, no shopping malls, no heavy metal industries, no mining, no software, no IT and nothing that you find now on earth.

Read Matthew 13.. and they will weed out of his kingdom all that causes sin and all who do evil....

Read John 7:7.. The World cannot hate you. But it hates me because I testify its works are evil....

The Kingdom it well lit and illuminated 24/7 by the glory of God and not with street lights and electricity. It is a day only known to the Lord...

As far as the Lord meeting our requirements while we are in this 'evil filled world'; they come in the package of the covenant blessings

1. that all these 'needs' will be addressed:- Seek his Kingdom and his righteousness, all that will be given to you as well...Matthew 6:33..Luke 12:31

2. That you will not lack anything:-

3. That The Lord grants the desires of the heart that trusts him

4. He gives you rest and sleep and not toil, hardwork, restlessness

5. While your journey seems difficult for all watching you... At the end it shall all go well with you!

6. If you will live like an alien in a foreign land then you will have a place to live in... (the world will build for you to live) else you will build and will fail to live in it. (Essentially the covenant prevents ownership and possessing treasures in this world... this is meant only for the faithful followers.. for all others their hearts, their lust and their cravings are the guidelines to follow)

7. Social: The Lord will keep you in the favourable eyes of the people around you.. You will become a blessing of your environment.. (people will look initially with disgust but slowly they will be forced to change their attitude.)

8. Esteem: (a) Zero self-confidence; only TRUST motivates you. (b) Even if you gain the whole world what benefit is if you have forfeited your soul... (c) Your achievement is your eternal life.. no comparison with any other achievement on earth

9. Productivity: True for those who labour for the Kingdom of God now. They will have their wages. For the worker deserves his wages.

As far as the World is concerned and your success; The World and its desires will pass away soon.. so will be your achievements too.. it will die with it.

in God's love

Walls
Oct 6th 2013, 05:10 PM
The context of Philippians was a gift of money by the Philippian Church to help Paul, a full-timer. This would have been for just a few of your list above - food, clothing and shelter. The Christian walks in enemy territory. He is the mortal enemy of the "Prince of this World", the Devil. Thus he can expect few of the "needs" established by Maslow. The Christian is a sojourner now, like Israel were when they traversed the wilderness (1st Corinthians 10:1-11). There, their needs were met. Only after establishing themselves in the Good Land did they have abundance. So too the Christian. He can only expect abundance in the next age - the Millennial age.

Paul thanks them for their gifts and predicts that as they met his need, our Lord would see to it that they were richly blessed. Christ had already promised this in Matthew 10:41-42.
"He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward. And he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.

jayne
Oct 6th 2013, 06:41 PM
Here is Philippians 4:19 from the TR with the word need, (chreia = "khrā'-") bolded.

ὁ δὲ θεός μου πληρώσει πᾶσαν χρείαν ὑμῶν κατὰ τὸν πλοῦτον αὐτοῦ ἐν δόξῃ ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ

χρείαν (chreia) literally means necessity. Maslow has accurately determined what humanity believes to be necessities of life (although your list is more detailed than when I studied him 30 years ago.) But are these things the necessities that Paul is talking about? It's possible that some of these things are what God is talking about. Jesus said, in Matthew 6, that God knew that we needed food, drink, and clothing. But he also said we have deeper spiritual needs. Financial need is what Paul was talking about just before verse 19. He is thanking those people for their sacrificial monetary gift to his ministry and tells them that God will supply their need out of His abundance riches in Christ Jesus.

But I think ultimately it's bigger than fleshly needs, even important ones.

And, it's important to consider whom Paul was talking to. He is talking to people who just made a huge sacrifice and let go of their own wants and desires to financially support God's business via Paul. Jesus made a similar promise to people in Luke 6 about giving all for the Lord and being blessed by God in return. "Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."

And then there's these verses to consider ......

King David said, "The Lord is my Shepherd and I have all that I need."
Paul said, "In everything ... I have learned to be content."
Romans 2:4 says that the "riches" of God are His kindness, forbearance, and patience. Matthew 6 - "But seek first the kingdom of God and then all these things will be added to you." Job 13:15 - "Even though God may kill me - I'll trust Him anyway."

I don't believe that the passage in question is a blanket affirmation that God will provide all our "needs" according to Maslow. It an affirmation that He will supply that that we need according to HIS riches IN Christ Jesus.

Besides, God knows what we need before we do - Matthew 6.

Neanias
Oct 6th 2013, 07:15 PM
As long as we keep our eyes on Him, seek his Kingdom first, and abide in Him.... All our needs are met indeed. The only issue that man might have is with God's definition of needs. :)

When the Apostles were thrown in prison, still there, they had everything they needed according to God... And when the time came he either delivered them miraculously or by the hands of men he delivered them from their corruptible bodies that they would go to be with Him.

If we believe, we always have what we need to live and walk in the will of God! But not to lives our own lives. :)

Blessings!

Walls
Oct 6th 2013, 08:19 PM
Here is Philippians 4:19 from the TR with the word need, (chreia = "khrā'-") bolded.

χρείαν (chreia) literally means necessity. Maslow has accurately determined what humanity believes to be necessities of life (although your list is more detailed than when I studied him 30 years ago.) But are these things the necessities that Paul is talking about? It's possible that some of these things are what God is talking about. Jesus said, in Matthew 6, that God knew that we needed food, drink, and clothing. But he also said we have deeper spiritual needs. Financial need is what Paul was talking about just before verse 19. He is thanking those people for their sacrificial monetary gift to his ministry and tells them that God will supply their need out of His abundance riches in Christ Jesus.

But I think ultimately it's bigger than fleshly needs, even important ones.

And, it's important to consider whom Paul was talking to. He is talking to people who just made a huge sacrifice and let go of their own wants and desires to financially support God's business via Paul. Jesus made a similar promise to people in Luke 6 about giving all for the Lord and being blessed by God in return. "Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."

And then there's these verses to consider ......

King David said, "The Lord is my Shepherd and I have all that I need."
Paul said, "In everything ... I have learned to be content."
Romans 2:4 says that the "riches" of God are His kindness, forbearance, and patience. Matthew 6 - "But seek first the kingdom of God and then all these things will be added to you." Job 13:15 - "Even though God may kill me - I'll trust Him anyway."

I don't believe that the passage in question is a blanket affirmation that God will provide all our "needs" according to Maslow. It an affirmation that He will supply that that we need according to HIS riches IN Christ Jesus.

Besides, God knows what we need before we do - Matthew 6.

Jayne, the more I read you the more I appreciate the subtle accuracy of your answers.

jayne
Oct 6th 2013, 10:10 PM
Jayne, the more I read you the more I appreciate the subtle accuracy of your answers.

I appreciate that brother. It means a lot.

Curtis
Oct 7th 2013, 11:44 AM
2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

According to these verses, the Lord has already given (past tense) unto us all things that pertain unto life, and Godliness.. You are not going to get any more than this, you already have it.
But notice how we get these things, "through the knowledge of Him" You have to know what these things are, and the Lord shows us what they are by his Spirit. "But God has revealed these things unto us by his Spirit" (1 Cor 2:10) But also notice how the Lord causes us to get them, " Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises:.... The Lord took something that he has already given to us, and he wrapped them in the form of a promise. The word , "promise" means, "to proclaim as a public announcement"
But it also has a legal meaning, it means, "to summons" If you have ever had a traffic ticket you know that the police officer will not let you go until you sign your name at the bottom of this ticket.
It says, "Promise to appear". The word summons means you are required to appear at a certain place at a certain time. With God's promises if you don't appear at this certain place you will not get what was promised. The only person who can fulfill his promise to you is the one who promised it These things you already own, we are not trying to con God out of anything. He has already said these are yours, you just have to go and pick them up. Without having a face to face relationship with the Lord these promised will just sit there waiting for you. That Lord provided every thing we need in this life to complete our mission, weather it is clothing, cars, money, spiritual food it has already been given. There is no reason to go without. These things don't just automatically appear. Just because Jesus said "seek first the Kingdom of God, and all these things will be added to you." That does not mean you don ask for them. Our Heavenly Father know what things we have need of before we ask.. How does God know what we are going to ask for? Because he is the one who tells us what to ask for. All prayer is God directed, not only do we direct our prayers toward him, but he also directs our prayers. As long as we are seeking first his Kingdom, then he will supply all our needs when these things are needed. There is no banking or hording extra supplies. We will have just enough to complete our tasks. Here is the place we are to go to get our presents.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.