PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for unanswered prayer

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 02:27 PM
Some of you know, (and have been praying for me to find work) I am praying, and searching hard for a job. I have been praying that God provide me with all my needs, and I do pray specifically as well. Like I will ask Him to provide the job openings, and then for interviews, and for me to find favor with those hiring.

I read chapter 21 of 2 Samuel (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Samuel%2021&version=NKJV) last night, and came upon something that really caught my attention. As some of you will know, that is the chapter where David inquires of the Lord after 3 years of drought. I truly appreciate Dave Guzik's commentary. I want to mention it because I need to "cite" the source when I share information I get from someone else. As I read the Word, I try to open my heart, and mind to the Holy Spirit Who is my ultimate Guide into understanding what God has for me to learn. But for me, I like going to another believer, someone who has gone before me, and studied. It doesn't mean they are always right, and it doesn't mean I always agree with them on their "opinion". It just helps me iron things out. And some things, I have realized, are not for me to understand now, if ever, I just need to trust in the Lord, and accept that His grace is sufficient.

Anyway, I read about what God told David when David had inquired,

2 Samuel 21:1
1 Then there was a famine in the days of David three years, year after year; and David inquired of the LORD. And the LORD answered, It is for Saul, and for his bloody house, because he slew the Gibeonites.

I remembered reading where the Gibeonites pulled a fast one on Israel so that they would be saved from being wiped out by Israel (covenant with Gibeonites in Joshua (http://www.studylight.org/desk/?q=jos+9:1-27&t=en_nas&sr=1))

(From Dave Guzik's commentary on Ch. 21 of Samuel (http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?bk=9&ch=21):
i. In the days of Joshua - more than 400 years before David’s time - Israel swore not to harm the Gibeonites, a neighboring tribe (Joshua 9:1-27 (http://www.studylight.org/desk/?q=jos+9:1-27&t=en_nas&sr=1)). God expected Israel to keep their promise, even though the Gibeonites tricked Israel into making the agreement. Saul’s crime was not only in the killing of the Gibeonites but also in breaking this ancient and important oath.)

So Saul had broken the covenant 400 years later by massacering many of the Gibeonites.

What God showed me is that sometimes He may not answer prayer because there is some sin that needs to be dealt with. I admit I was overwhelmed because I felt I have so much sin in my life, but not necessarily sin I haven't dealt with. But I am wondering if there is. I mean something I haven't asked forgiveness for, something I did that was wrong and so I am not being given a job. I feel so stupid even saying this since God does all these miracles in the bible, and plenty today as well, and I am fretting about finding a job, but it is frightening. I am trying hard to trust God, but many of you will know what this is like. Not knowing where the next dime is coming from.

This whole post is really about prayer, and why they may not be answered. I had a friend that said God always answers prayer, it's just sometimes no, wait, or yes;)

Feedback welcome and appreciated as always, denise, ysic

PS I found an amazing post on "unanswered prayer", it so helped me to read it so I wanted to share it, go here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/214235-Unanswered-Prayer-%E2%80%93)

Redeemed by Grace
Oct 16th 2013, 03:00 PM
This may sound different Denise, but I subscribe to the biblical notion that if one prays in accordance to the will of God, every prayer will be answered. The challenge then become, what is the will of God?

I've got another call to jump on but hope this will help you in your journey as we all [re]calibrate our prayer lives...

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 03:09 PM
Well, here's something to consider

"We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him"

imreedemed
Oct 16th 2013, 03:27 PM

"We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him"

Listening is one thing, answering is another thing

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 03:27 PM
This may sound different Denise, but I subscribe to the biblical notion that if one prays in accordance to the will of God, every prayer will be answered. The challenge then become, what is the will of God?

I've got another call to jump on but hope this will help you in your journey as we all [re]calibrate our prayer lives...

I understand this and agree as well, the bible says this, and yes, knowing the will of God. I am realizing lately, I have many prayers being answered and when I look at the ones He is answering, I see that my prayers answered are those self-less ones, or unselfish. Prayers like for salvations of lost, loved ones, those I know are in God's time.

Where I am learning about myself right now, is the OT. I am looking forward to the NT but I am so glad I made the decision to read the OT, some folks tell me they don't read it and that is between them and God. Maybe I'm just too curious to leave it out:hmm:

ttys, ysic, denise:hug:

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 03:33 PM

People assume their prayers are not answered because they don't get what they expect. But God isn't santa claus; and HIs ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts.

Our prayers are answered; just not how we would expect them. If we assume all prayers are answered in a way we can understand, then we will be sadly disappointed. I'm sure a 1st century Jew under the oppression of Rome would either understand or not understand that Jesus was the answer to prayer depending on their own enlightenment and eternal perspective.

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 03:34 PM

I'm sure you meant people that don't come to Jesus, but pray to "something", or something like that. I thank God He listened to this sinner, yes, I'm saved by Grace but I never want to forget my sin nature, that doesn't go away until I am out of this flesh;) I also believe God listens even if we are not in His will, He may be silent, until we learn more about Him. I am just speaking from experience right now because believe me when I say I am clumsy at prayer sometimes, but God shows me where I might be off doing something that He wants to bring to my attention.

Just some thoughts and I apologize if I misunderstood your reply Keck, ysic, denise

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 03:37 PM
I understand this and agree as well, the bible says this, and yes, knowing the will of God. I am realizing lately, I have many prayers being answered and when I look at the ones He is answering, I see that my prayers answered are those self-less ones, or unselfish. Prayers like for salvations of lost, loved ones, those I know are in God's time.

Where I am learning about myself right now, is the OT. I am looking forward to the NT but I am so glad I made the decision to read the OT, some folks tell me they don't read it and that is between them and God. Maybe I'm just too curious to leave it out:hmm:

ttys, ysic, denise:hug:

Our minds are constantly being renewed, our desires becoming his desires, our own ways becoming unpalitable for us. None of us are in a place where we are 100% spiritually mature, so none of us can expect that 100% of our prayers are in God's will. That is why some of us pray "if it be your will Lord...."

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 03:39 PM

Yes that's true, God is not oblivious to what any of us are up to, saved or the unsaved. He is either ALL-knowing, or He is not right. But I understand to that I need to trust too, I mean in God's hearing my prayer, He does, and why I may not get an answer, or He may say no, and why He did answer. I don't have any notion that I will find the perfect formula of prayer so that God will answer every prayer I utter, yesterday. I just don't see Him like that kind of Father, like some computer. If you plug in the right info, you get just the right stuff back, noway, not the God I worship;)

ysic, denise

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 03:43 PM
Our minds are constantly being renewed, our desires becoming his desires, our own ways becoming unpalitable for us. None of us are in a place where we are 100% spiritually mature, so none of us can expect that 100% of our prayers are in God's will. That is why some of us pray "if it be your will Lord...."

Oh yeah, you nailed it here, "our desires becoming His desires" and upalitable must mean, not good for us?;) I love this, excellent read, denise, ysic

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 03:53 PM
Oh yeah, you nailed it here, "our desires becoming His desires" and upalitable must mean, not good for us?;) I love this, excellent read, denise, ysic

Read James in the perspective of prayer and relationship with God. Keeping in mind that James is addressing believers, it is pretty convicting for me anyway.

But I tell you, about 4 years ago I prayed to God that He save my business (which was in part a ministry honoring Him), and He didn't do that. But what He did was far, far, far greater for my life, my family and my relationship with God than He could have done had He answered in accordance with my will. I could have been bitter having to sell my business and being burdened with $80,000.00 in business debt.....and perhaps I was for a while...but God was faithful and today I am debt free and my family is whole. If I were forced to account in numbers how all this happened, I couldn't tell you, because I don't make enough to pay $80,000.00 of debt in four years. I do know that we simplified our lives to the extreme and it was an incredible blessing not to have the burden of a life filled with all kinds of stuff and complexities to tend to, and to worry about losing. It gave me focus to tend to loving God and loving my neighbors. To understand their plight in their various broken dreams and broken lives. God gave me a testimony and showed me that anything I have, whether it be gifts, talents, or skills - that they are all a gift from Him and for His glory, not for mine.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

God proved His character to me through those very difficult years. And I am here to testify to His "chesed" (lovingkindness). And I am also here to tell you I deserved none of it. Grace can be a difficult concept.

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 04:34 PM
Read James in the perspective of prayer and relationship with God. Keeping in mind that James is addressing believers, it is pretty convicting for me anyway.

But I tell you, about 4 years ago I prayed to God that He save my business (which was in part a ministry honoring Him), and He didn't do that. But what He did was far, far, far greater for my life, my family and my relationship with God than He could have done had He answered in accordance with my will. I could have been bitter having to sell my business and being burdened with $80,000.00 in business debt.....and perhaps I was for a while...but God was faithful and today I am debt free and my family is whole. If I were forced to account in numbers how all this happened, I couldn't tell you, because I don't make enough to pay $80,000.00 of debt in four years. I do know that we simplified our lives to the extreme and it was an incredible blessing not to have the burden of a life filled with all kinds of stuff and complexities to tend to, and to worry about losing. It gave me focus to tend to loving God and loving my neighbors. To understand their plight in their various broken dreams and broken lives. God gave me a testimony and showed me that anything I have, whether it be gifts, talents, or skills - that they are all a gift from Him and for His glory, not for mine.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

God proved His character to me through those very difficult years. And I am here to testify to His "chesed" (lovingkindness). And I am also here to tell you I deserved none of it. Grace can be a difficult concept.

I so appreciated this story of how God worked in your life Keck, thank you so much for sharing it. I have to tell you I am in 27,000 debt, and then some for other unpaid bills from my past. I have been praying hard for the ways and means to pay them off. I know that I got myself into that debt, purely my own fault/decision. I loved where you wrote that you couldn't figure the numbers because you didn't make enough to pay it. I have heard this more then once, people of God being able to pay their debts but don't know how it happened. I mean "they" did pay it with their money, but it was still miraculous. I am trusting the Lord for that as well. I just KNOW He will help me, He will provide the way because I do believe it IS His will I pay my debts. The bible says that we are to, here's just one verse on it:

Romans 13:8 ESV

Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

But I just want to thank you again, you've encouraged me greatly!! Praise be to God for all my brothers and sisters in Christ that help me to see:) 12026

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 05:36 PM
I so appreciated this story of how God worked in your life Keck, thank you so much for sharing it. I have to tell you I am in 27,000 debt, and then some for other unpaid bills from my past. I have been praying hard for the ways and means to pay them off. I know that I got myself into that debt, purely my own fault/decision. I loved where you wrote that you couldn't figure the numbers because you didn't make enough to pay it. I have heard this more then once, people of God being able to pay their debts but don't know how it happened. I mean "they" did pay it with their money, but it was still miraculous. I am trusting the Lord for that as well. I just KNOW He will help me, He will provide the way because I do believe it IS His will I pay my debts. The bible says that we are to, here's just one verse on it:

Romans 13:8 ESV

Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

But I just want to thank you again, you've encouraged me greatly!! Praise be to God for all my brothers and sisters in Christ that help me to see:) 12026

Yeah, that's it really. God isn't a "one size fits all" like our government though. He is thorough and misses nothing. He is perfect in His grace and mercy; and His main goal is to turn you towards Him and protect you from the enemy. We face many circumstances in our lives, but our victory is not so much in a "good" outcome of the circumstance as much as how we respond to the circumstance, and to whom we put our trust in. There are consequences for our choices, and God certainly did not let me off the hook for my choices, but He did straighten our my heart, changed my desires and gave me a better understanding that He chooses how I am to obey Him, not I. This kind of goes back to that ministry thread. Several times I decided how I was going to serve God, and every time it was based on my choice, I experienced defeat, no matter how badly I wanted to serve Him. I can only come to the conclusion that I don't know what the best medicine is for me, but make no mistake. God's "medicine" is not watered down so as to make it easy for us to swallow and have little of no effect; for Jesus fully intends to heal our broken hearts and give us His rest. Don't take too much stock in "prosperity" or cotton candy preachers who proclaim a false gospel. Life is difficult, and a Christian's life is even more challenging. We are not promised easy and materially rich lives. And sometimes being solvent is based more on pride than honor. If that is the case (it was with me) God will break that pride, at great price if need be, for it is a stumbling block. But we are promised shalom and rest in Him. And that is a most beautiful place to be.

Glory be to God.

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 05:47 PM
Yeah, that's it really. God isn't a "one size fits all" like our government though. He is thorough and misses nothing. He is perfect in His grace and mercy; and His main goal is to turn you towards Him and protect you from the enemy. We face many circumstances in our lives, but our victory is not so much in a "good" outcome of the circumstance as much as how we respond to the circumstance, and to whom we put our trust in. There are consequences for our choices, and God certainly did not let me off the hook for my choices, but He did straighten our my heart, changed my desires and gave me a better understanding that He chooses how I am to obey Him, not I. This kind of goes back to that ministry thread. Several times I decided how I was going to serve God, and every time it was based on my choice, I experienced defeat, no matter how badly I wanted to serve Him. I can only come to the conclusion that I don't know what the best medicine is for me, but make no mistake. God's "medicine" is not watered down so as to make it easy for us to swallow and have little of no effect; for Jesus fully intends to heal our broken hearts and give us His rest. Don't take too much stock in "prosperity" or cotton candy preachers who proclaim a false gospel. Life is difficult, and a Christian's life is even more challenging. We are not promised an easy and materially rich lives. But we are promised shalom and rest in Him. That is a most beautiful place to be.

Glory be to God.

Funny but I was thinking about all the decisions I have made on my own, even today I was thinking "now what shall I do" and I stopped right there and started praying for His guidance in "what I should do". Thank you again, I enjoy what you wrote and can't agree more, even though I my eyes are just beginning to be opened to these truths. I guess I am excited, yes, I am excited:) I am smiling now, no frown, just have a lot of hope in Him today, thanks a great deal to what you've replied, may God bless you richly today, denise, ysic

PS yes, the riches of the world cannot compare the riches in knowing God.

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 05:54 PM
Funny but I was thinking about all the decisions I have made on my own, even today I was thinking "now what shall I do" and I stopped right there and started praying for His guidance in "what I should do". Thank you again, I enjoy what you wrote and can't agree more, even though I my eyes are just beginning to be opened to these truths. I guess I am excited, yes, I am excited:) I am smiling now, no frown, just have a lot of hope in Him today, thanks a great deal to what you've replied, may God bless you richly today, denise, ysic

PS yes, the riches of the world cannot compare the riches in knowing God.

Ever watch Fiddler on the roof? What an awesome conversation Tevye has with God walking down that road.

You should be excited, because real joy is always found in the Lord. When God asks you to "cast your anxieties (unfocused worrying), He means all of them; that includes the little ones we think we can handle and the big ones we think He can't handle.

keck553
Oct 16th 2013, 05:57 PM
Here's another thought that occured to me. When I was spiritually immature, I came to God last, when there was nowhere else to go. Lately, I've been coming to God first, because there is nowhere else to go.

I know this is out of context, but Jesus did say the last will become first.......well in petition that is true.

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 06:15 PM
Ever watch Fiddler on the roof? What an awesome conversation Tevye has with God walking down that road.

You should be excited, because real joy is always found in the Lord. When God asks you to "cast your anxieties (unfocused worrying), He means all of them; that includes the little ones we think we can handle and the big ones we think He can't handle.

Maybe I will have to watch "fiddler" I have never watched it all the way through. I am surprised at how little I am worrying, I wasn't sure I was trusting God. My friends, and relatives of the "world" would tell me soooooooo different, but I am not even spending any, unnecessary time with them, and I don't talk about these things I do here, or at church.

Oh I think I found the scene from fiddler on youtube, cool, I'm going to check it out!! I typed in this to search in youtube, maybe you can do that and tell me which video might be the one you are thinking of?? tevye talks to god, that's what I typed in:)

imreedemed
Oct 16th 2013, 06:18 PM
I don't know if it's out of lack of faith but i pray and keep an open mind. if He answers cool, if not i'm a continue loving Him but have a plan B

Oregongrown
Oct 16th 2013, 06:26 PM
I don't know if it's out of lack of faith but i pray and keep an open mind. if He answers cool, if not i'm a continue loving Him but have a plan B

I do in a way as well, I mean I do say, His will be done, when I pray because that is what I want more then anything, His will to be done in my life. I feel really open today to His leading, I think I am too. I searched several job boards, and didn't just limit my searches to typical jobs I might be qualified for. I am also open to not having a job, with the possibility of having to go to a homeless shelter. I stayed in the same one when I first moved back here. At the time, they wanted me to be part of the staff eventually, just doing little things, like answering phones. They also wanted me to do a sort of disciple-ship class. Anyway, I had it all figured out what I was going to do and I wasn't checking in (inquiring) with God at all:(

So yes, I do pray with very open-minded since I honestly have to say, I do not know where I will best fit, but God does.

Curtis
Oct 16th 2013, 07:36 PM

What you said is true, but......

1Jn 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Oregongrown
Oct 18th 2013, 04:34 PM
What you said is true, but......

1Jn 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

I believe this verse, definitely, it's the Word of God, but I think it might be one of those "context" issues as well. What comes to mind is some teaching I've heard over the years so it may be good teaching or poor teaching. The way I understand that verse without looking at any commentary, is that if we are praying according to His Will. That verse is one of those used by non-believers to say that "anything" we ask for, like a million dollars, will be given to us.

I do think God ALWAYS answers prayer, I mean, He hears all our prayers, and then He answers as He sees fit.

1 John 5:14
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

God bless your day Curtis, ysic, denise

mailmandan
Oct 18th 2013, 07:26 PM
Psalm 66:18 - If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

Mark 11:24-25 - Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.

James 1:5-8 - If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

James 4:3 - You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

James 5:16 - Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

1 Peter 3:7 - Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.

keck553
Oct 18th 2013, 07:48 PM
Great Scriptural quotes above, for believers, and all very, very true.

Oregongrown
Oct 18th 2013, 08:00 PM
Psalm 66:18 - If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

Mark 11:24-25 - Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.

James 1:5-8 - If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

James 4:3 - You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

James 5:16 - Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

1 Peter 3:7 - Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.

Yes, I am in agreement with Keck, thank you Dan for all of these verses. God gives us all we need to understand our questions. It sure helps to have each other to help too;) God bless your day! denise, ysic

Curtis
Oct 18th 2013, 08:26 PM
I believe this verse, definitely, it's the Word of God, but I think it might be one of those "context" issues as well. What comes to mind is some teaching I've heard over the years so it may be good teaching or poor teaching. The way I understand that verse without looking at any commentary, is that if we are praying according to His Will. That verse is one of those used by non-believers to say that "anything" we ask for, like a million dollars, will be given to us.

I do think God ALWAYS answers prayer, I mean, He hears all our prayers, and then He answers as He sees fit.

1 John 5:14
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

God bless your day Curtis, ysic, denise

Psa 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Not that the Lord would give you what you are asking for, but he will give you his desires for you, and he places them in your heart.
So that now when you pray you will always get you are asking for because what you are asking for is what he wants to give you.
How much more will our Father give us the things we desire which are the things he asked us to ask for. If that makes any sense.
This is why our Heavenly Father knows what we are going ask for before we ask, because he is the one who told us what to ask for. :) :) :)
This is praying according to His will.
Oh happy day!!

Oregongrown
Oct 18th 2013, 08:36 PM
Psa 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Not that the Lord would give you what you are asking for, but he will give you his desires for you, and he places them in your heart.
So that now when you pray you will always get you are asking for because what you are asking for is what he wants to give you.
How much more will our Father give us the things we desire which are the things he asked us to ask for. If that makes any sense.
This is why our Heavenly Father knows what we are going ask for before we ask, because he is the one who told us what to ask for. :) :) :)
Oh happy day!!

I agree that the closer we get to God, knowing Him I mean, our minds are changed (renewed) so that yes, when we continue praying, eventually our prayers will align with His will. Right now, I do pray "if it be your will" because sometimes, I am not sure if what I am praying does align with His will. As long as I am in this "skin", I will never be perfect, only Christ in me is;)

Curtis
Oct 18th 2013, 08:52 PM
I agree that the closer we get to God, knowing Him I mean, our minds are changed (renewed) so that yes, when we continue praying, eventually our prayers will align with His will. Right now, I do pray "if it be your will" because sometimes, I am not sure if what I am praying does align with His will. As long as I am in this "skin", I will never be perfect, only Christ in me is;)

Spiritual growth happens as the Lord leads us into his truth. He is the one who chooses our curriculum not our self's. What you are doing right now is what the Lords wants you to do for now. Getting a more general knowledge of his Word. Once the Word gets into you he will be able to tell you things directly which will also corresponds with his Word. Your understanding will increase and greatly speed up as he teaches you his concepts, and precepts of his Kingdom. It's kinda slow at first, but buckle your seat belt and get ready for a great Kingdom adventure.

Oregongrown
Oct 18th 2013, 09:07 PM
Spiritual growth happens as the Lord leads us into his truth. He is the one who chooses our curriculum not our self's. What you are doing right now is what the Lords wants you to do for now. Getting a more general knowledge of his Word. Once the Word gets into you he will be able to tell you things directly which will also corresponds with his Word. Your understanding will increase and greatly speed up as he teaches you his concepts, and precepts of his Kingdom. It's kinda slow at first, but buckle your seat belt and get ready for a great Kingdom adventure.

yes, and here is to all of us growing in maturity and wisdom, amen

keck553
Oct 18th 2013, 09:34 PM

Great post, I would just add that the Lord leading us to truth allows us the ability to manifest love, grace and wisdom