PDA

View Full Version : Scriptural evidence for the location of hell?

CliftonMurphy
Oct 17th 2013, 08:28 PM
I cannot find anywhere in the bible that states that hell is located under the earth. the only passages i find are:

2nd Peter 2:4 which states "cast them into hell", but the original greek is "cast them into tartarus" which is just a place of confinement and torture.

or

Eph. 4:9 which states that he ascended, meaning he had to descend..but this is speaking about descending into the grave not hell.

So is there any scripture at all relating to the physical location of hell? Or do we have to just know that hell exists somewhere in the vast universe (or alternate dimensions) which god may have created?

Also, i get from scripture that Hades is not hell, but a place of endless conscious-less sleep we ALL people go to await the second coming and judgement.

TrustGzus
Oct 17th 2013, 09:02 PM
Scripture doesn't tell us a location for Hell. I haven't decided if I think the question is even a category mistake --- asking a location question of something that might not have a "location."

CliftonMurphy
Oct 17th 2013, 09:30 PM
its a scriptural knowledge question, therefore in the Bible forum.

TrustGzus
Oct 17th 2013, 11:32 PM
its a scriptural knowledge question, therefore in the Bible forum.

No, I didn't mean category mistake in that sense. I can see how that was confusing. Category mistake is the name of a logical fallacy. For example, the question "who created God?" is a category mistake because one is asking a creation question about an uncreated being.

So, my point is "Where is Hell?" might be a category mistake. I'm not sure Hell has a "location".

exitludos
Oct 18th 2013, 04:34 AM
I cannot find anywhere in the bible that states that hell is located under the earth. the only passages i find are:
Four different words in the bible are translated as 'hell': sheol, hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus.

Tartarus (Greek) is only mentioned once, in that verse from 2 Peter 2 you provided. Tartarus is a prison-like 'place' for the angels who sinned just before the flood. (2 Peter 2 is based on the epistle of Jude, which borrowed quite extensively from 1 Enoch.)

Gehenna (Greek) is actually the valley of Hinnom (Hebrew), a valley outside of Jerusalem used as the city dump. When Jesus talks about 'hell fire' and a place of punishment, this is what he is talking about. Jesus uses it as a metaphor, based on the book of Jeremiah, when the kings of Jerusalem used it as a place to sacrifice their children. Jeremiah used it as a reversal of fortunes: the wicked kings of Jerusalem killed people in the valley of Hinnom, so God will punish them with the same. It is not meant to be understood as an otherworldly dimension of fire.

Hades (Greek) is the translation of sheol (Hebrew). They usually refer to 'the grave' (being buried in the earth), and they are often used in figure of speech as the 'abode of the dead' (being buried in the earth). This is where the idea that 'hell is under the earth' comes from.

ewq1938
Oct 18th 2013, 07:54 AM
The spirits of animals go downward:

Ecc 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

mailmandan
Oct 18th 2013, 11:48 AM
Bill Wiese claims he has been to hell and knows where it is located - http://www.soulchoiceministries.com/faq005.html

He said - "It is located in the center of the earth currently":

1. Ez. 26:20 – lower parts of the earth
2. Num. 16:32-33 – earth opened her mouth down to sheol.
3. Is. 14:9-10 – hell from beneath
4. Amos 9:2 – though thou dig into hell
5. Is. 5:14 – hell, they shall descend into it
6. Ez. 31:14 – lower parts of the earth, with those who descend
7. Ps. 63:9 – lower parts of the earth
8. Matt. 12:40 – so shall the Son of man be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth 9. 1 Sam 28:13 – I saw gods ascending out of the earth
10. Luke 16:22-23 – Abraham's bosom and in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

I usually hear people speculate that hell is in the center of the earth or located in outer space in a black hole in a different dimension.

I mainly just think of hell as somewhere far DOWN.

Psa 55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in ther dwellings, and among them.

Isaiah 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Ezekiel 31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit..

And heaven as somewhere far UP.

2 Kings 2:11 - Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

John 3:13 - No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.

2 Corinthians 12:2 - I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago--whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows--such a one was caught up to the third heaven.

Vakeros
Oct 24th 2013, 10:53 PM
2nd Peter 2:4 which states "cast them into hell", but the original greek is "cast them into tartarus" which is just a place of confinement and torture.
or
Eph. 4:9 which states that he ascended, meaning he had to descend..but this is speaking about descending into the grave not hell.
So is there any scripture at all relating to the physical location of hell? Or do we have to just know that hell exists somewhere in the vast universe (or alternate dimensions) which god may have created?
Also, i get from scripture that Hades is not hell, but a place of endless conscious-less sleep we ALL people go to await the second coming and judgement.
I think TrustGzus is probably closer to anyone else. We have Heaven which is spoken of as UP and we have both Hades and the Pit as being DOWN. In fact the Pit is seen (from Greek ideas admittedly) as being the lowest part of Hades. However there was an interesting thread in Areopagus which discussed what happens in the second death.
My view, that was affirmed through that thread, was that it truly is the place of complete and utter death - extinction. The only question is how long does this death take. If it takes a period of time to die in this Lake of Fire, and Satan seems to be being tormented there for eternity, then it must have some kind of location, but maybe it doesn't have a physical one, but only a spiritual one. Therefore not truly UP nor DOWN.