PDA

View Full Version : For the Messiah only?

michael b
Oct 20th 2013, 01:54 AM
In Matthew 4:6 Satan was quoting scripture during Jesus' time in the wilderness. Satan said, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written,‘He will command His angels concerning You’;

and
‘On their hands they will bear You up,
So that You will not strike Your foot against a stone.’”

Satan was quoting Ps. 91:11,12

Here are my questions: 1. Did the Psalmist know he was making reference to the Messiah? 2. Many "promises" are made to men of faith in the Psalms and through out the Old Testament. Which of these promises are applicable for me today? 3. I'm sure that Ps. 91:11,12 were intended for the Messiah and not for me, or were they? 4. What about the rest of the verses in Ps. 91....if verses 11,12 were intended for the Messiah who are the rest of the verses intended for?

I hope my questions make sense.

jayne
Oct 20th 2013, 03:03 AM
Yes, Michael, your question makes sense.

There are some Messianic Psalms, but Psalm 91 is not one of them. This is a psalm of encouragement and reminding the reader that God is a God of great protection.

The devil - when he quoted verse 11-12 to Jesus - did what he always loves to do with scripture and that is to cherry-pick the verses, quote them out of context, and ergo - alter the meaning and intent. He implied that Psalm 91 claimed that if anyone jumped off the Temple, God wouldn't let them fall down and hurt themselves or die.

Psalm 91 says nothing of the sort. It was the devil's pathetic last attempt to lure Jesus into deception. It didn't work.

This is a psalm full of figurative language. The message to the reader one of hope that God will be our ultimate deliverer. It isn't a promise of escape from death, pain, and suffering on this temporary planet but a promise that we don't need to be afraid of these things. God will raise us up to a release from all of that some day.

It's a psalm for all of us who hold dear the salvation of God.

The one who lives under the protection of the Most High
dwells in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,my God, in whom I trust.”

He Himself will deliver you from the hunter’s net, from the destructive plague. He will cover you with His feathers; you will take refuge under His wings. His faithfulness will be a protective shield. You will not fear the terror of the night, the arrow that flies by day, the plague that stalks in darkness, or the pestilence that ravages at noon. Though a thousand fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, the pestilence will not reach you. You will only see it with your eyes and witness the punishment of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord—my refuge, the Most High—your dwelling place, no harm will come to you; no plague will come near your tent. For He will give His angels orders concerning you, to protect you in all your ways. They will support you with their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the young lion and the serpent.

Because he is lovingly devoted to Me, I will deliver him; I will protect him because he knows My name. When he calls out to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble. I will rescue him and give him honor. I will satisfy him with a long life and show him My salvation.

LandShark
Oct 21st 2013, 02:07 PM
I doubt that all of the pictures presented in the Tanach or as we call it, the OT, were understood. Perhaps they knew they were pointing forward, but I doubt understood the fulness of them. For example, the Feasts all point to various facets of Messiah's work. The Spring Feasts in general to his first coming, and the Fall Feasts in general to his return. While there are hints that ancient sages understood them to be Messianic proclamations, I doubt they understood the fulness in the same way we do now. It is like us knowing a tribulation is coming but don't fully grasp the fulness of it. Blessings.

ContractKeeper
Oct 22nd 2013, 01:42 AM
In Matthew 4:6 Satan was quoting scripture during Jesus' time in the wilderness. Satan said, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written,‘He will command His angels concerning You’;

and
‘On their hands they will bear You up,
So that You will not strike Your foot against a stone.’”

Satan was quoting Ps. 91:11,12

Here are my questions: 1. Did the Psalmist know he was making reference to the Messiah? 2. Many "promises" are made to men of faith in the Psalms and through out the Old Testament. Which of these promises are applicable for me today? 3. I'm sure that Ps. 91:11,12 were intended for the Messiah and not for me, or were they? 4. What about the rest of the verses in Ps. 91....if verses 11,12 were intended for the Messiah who are the rest of the verses intended for?

I hope my questions make sense.
Hi michael b, God bless ya !

When men and women walk in the Spirit, walk in the same Spirit that Christ Jesus walked in while He was down here on the earth with us.
When we walk in that same Spirit down here on the earth, then all/every one of those promises are for us too, every one of them.

The qualifier though, is:
Walking, speaking, working while being-motivated by that same Spirit that Jesus had and does rebirth in us while we are down here on the earth.
We have to walk, speak, work, be-motivated by that reborn Spirit in us.
Living for Him rather than living for our own concerns, goals and appetites, to be co-heirs of all of those same promises, all of them !
Even having legions of angels on call when we walk that way, live that way, speak that way, do-work-motivated by that same Spirit while we are down here on the earth.

(that way) = Having a 'pure' heart for Him.
Solely being motivated by Him.
Co-building His Father's kingdom for Him.

When we live that way, then every one of those promises that you see now as exclusively for Christ Jesus, they are for us too when we live that way down here on the earth.

He is the firstborn of many ! ...we should know what that means.

God bless and have mercy on us.